Start by marking “Snow Island (Snow Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
Snow Island (Snow Island, #1)

Snow Island (Snow Island #1)

This novel follows 16-year-old Alice Daggett, who still feels the presence of her father who died six years earlier, and George Tibbets, a recluse loner who returns to the island each year in an act of hommage to the two women who raised him there.
Published January 28th 2003 by Plume (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Snow Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Island

Kim Montana
Apr 11, 2014 Kim Montana rated it did not like it
The hand written inscription in the front of this book to a friend "Carolyn" states that she hopes her friend "falls under the spell of the island" the way she did. Well, as I bought this piece garbage from the dollar clearance section, I suppose Carolyn felt the same way I did. Not worth the read.
Margi
Apr 27, 2016 Margi rated it liked it
An interesting read about life on a small island during WWII. The characters are all really well written and I definitely got a sense of life on Snow Island. It was interesting to see how drastically life changed after Pearl Harbor. There is a true sense of place in this novel. Even while people are away, the island is always in the back of their minds.
Rebecca
Jun 02, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A quiet, slow paced novel. Very fitting for the quaint New England island it chronicles . Without spoiling anything, I will say that if a happy ending is what you're wanting, this really isn't your book.
Suzka
Aug 10, 2008 Suzka rated it it was ok
Recommended to Suzka by: it's the August pick for our town's book club
Shelves: htl-book-club
Marika Gillis
Aug 16, 2008 Marika Gillis rated it really liked it
Alice Daggett lives on Snow Island with her mother and younger brother. Since her father's death five years ago, 16-year-old Alice has helped her mother run the island's small store.

George Tibbits grew up on Snow Island in the well-known "twin houses" with his two aunts. Years earlier, he left to serve in the army and returned to the island in 1919 to find both the women who cared for him dead in their respective homes. Now, he returns to the island every summer in an effort to reconcile their d
Chris Spiegel

The Snow Island Trilogy by Katherine Towler follows the lives of a tightly knit community off the coast of Rhode Island. With the backdrop of war; World War II, the Vietnam War, and the Gulf War, we follow the community members, whom we come to deeply understand, as they deal with the ramifications of those wars. War isn't the star of these books however, the characters are, and Towler is a master of character development. Second to the memorable characters, is the rich formation of the island i
Merle
Jun 08, 2015 Merle rated it really liked it
I was assigned this book to read for a book discussion group and wasn't sure about it, but I fell in love with 16 year old Alice as I followed her life on Snow Island. Beautifully written with descriptions that make you feel like you are there. You can picture the landscape of the island and you also can feel the isolation and quiet of life on the island. Then there is the life of George Tibbits, who returns to the island every summer at exactly the same time and int he same way year after year. ...more
Denise
Aug 21, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up for a buck on the used book rack of the Moultonborough, NH library on vacation. Sometimes you just get lucky! I ordered the second book of the trilogy when I was only halfway though this, and if all goes well it will greet me when I come home next week. This novel is set before and during WW II, on a tiny island in New England (presumably off the coast of Rhode Island, although the author never specifies). The author's style is clear and direct, and I got a vivid picture of both ...more
Lauren Glowacky
Apr 29, 2013 Lauren Glowacky rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
The book was OK. The characterizations were good. The book was about people who lived on a small New England Island before and during WWII. All the people in my bookclub, myself included, assumed it was an Island in Maine. It took us til we were 3/4 of the way through, to realize that it was off the coast of Rhode Island! The characters were boring, quiet people, who had their quirks. The main character, Alice, kept having bad things happen to her. I got to the end of the book and I was like: Ar ...more
 Barb Bailey
Aug 03, 2008 Barb Bailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: trilogies
I liked this book , although I though the story dragged a bit at times. It is the first of a trilogy......(I read the second book first and thought it was better and gave it a better rating too. ....."Evening Ferry"). The 3rd in the series is still being written and published. I like books about islands and island people....they are rather romantic. I will be waiting for book #3. Hopefully this author will get better and better.
Margo Brooks
Jun 27, 2014 Margo Brooks rated it liked it
This is a quiet and lovely novel about life on an island in Narragansett Bay between the wars. Even such an isolated place is touched dramatically by world events and in this coming of age story, young Alice's life is profoundly changed by the United States' entrance into World War II. It is a novel with no neatly wrapped up ends, but one that will stay with you, and make you wish that you had such a special place in your life as well.
Diane16
Aug 24, 2012 Diane16 rated it really liked it

This novel was a thoroughly enjoyable story of a group of islanders living off the coast of Rhode Island as WWII was starting. Alice, the main character, is a strong girl who must face her womanhood early. I loved her character and will be keeping this book on my shelf for my own daughter when she is in her late teens. Although the story was not always happy, it rang true to me. I'm looking forward to reading Towler's next book about Snow Island.
Vivian
Mar 19, 2009 Vivian rated it really liked it
Katherine Towler's debut novel is a beautifully written coming of age story. Set in a small island off the coast of New England, it takes place before and during World War II. Brimming with wonderfully drawn characters and sense of place, Snow Island was a wonderful read. I was sorry to see it end. This is the first book of a trilogy. Ms. Towler is a very talented writer and I am looking forward to reading "Evening Ferry".

Mich
Jan 29, 2012 Mich rated it it was amazing
Started this for the second time- the first chpt didn't catch me at first but my mood must have been right this time! Wow. What a great story i can't wait to read more and to tell people to read this! The setting is an island I'd love to visit and the characters are people I'd love to know. Added to it all it's the 1940's and it's a perfect time even If it's wartime. I am SOOOOO glad I picked this up again!
Delissca
Aug 27, 2012 Delissca rated it really liked it
Shelves: purchased
Very well written coming of age story. I don't usually give 4 stars to a novel about teenagers, but this one was very different. The place, Snow Island, kept me engrossed. The towns people, the way the writer described the island. It took place just prior to WWII. It only took me a couple of days to read and that is how I know a book has kept my interest.

Katherine Towler went on to write two more stories after this one about the same island. I have already ordered "Evening Ferry".
Betty
Mar 09, 2011 Betty added it
The first in a trilolgy that begins in 1941 during World War II on a fictional island
off the coast of Rhode island. The cast of characters make their way into your heart as you follow them through the dailyness of their lives. The war catches up with the people on Snow Island
as the young enlist and those left behind deal with an everchanging environmen.
Roxanne
Apr 18, 2013 Roxanne rated it really liked it
you get so you living on the island with Alice...nice, steady, good people makin' it through, with a couple characters and a couple guys you'd like to slap across the face... glad to see there are more books about the island
Joan
Jan 07, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read-options
I like the author and the overall setting and story of the book. It's haunting and filled with atmosphere. I think I read it a long time ago, and now know why I both love it and hate it. Tough story line. Real. Gritty. Imaginative too.
Oct 25, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Definitely not one of my favorites. Too many sad/tragic events and an unhappy ending to top it off. Wish I had been forewarned before reading it.
Liv
Jul 09, 2009 Liv rated it really liked it
One of the best books I have read in a long time. I really enjoyed the character development and the description of the Island and its inhabitants.
Jonna
Mar 08, 2013 Jonna rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It had great characters and a wonderful story. When it ended, I wanted to read it all over again!
Ann
Jun 15, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
**** 1/2
Amy
Feb 20, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
good story
Beth French
Low key. I'd like to read the next book in the trilogy.
Mary White
Jun 24, 2010 Mary White rated it really liked it
A former way of life in Maine
Ali
Nov 05, 2012 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seldom say this...but I would read this book again.
Jen
Oct 04, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Great story! The ending was a little abrupt; I would have liked more story (i.e. what happens when she goes back?). I am glad I read it, because Katie Towler is an amazing writer.
Wendy
Aug 07, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
A quiet, sad, coming of age story. Not entirely satisfying. I would have given it 3.5 stars if I could have.
Andrea
A lovely, sad story. Made me cry.
Nicholle
Aug 15, 2013 Nicholle rated it liked it
  • Lizzie's War: A Novel
  • Winter Range
  • Night of Flames
  • The Faerie Hills (Muirteach MacPhee Mystery #2)
  • One Fourteenth Of An Elephant
  • Moon Tide
  • Dearly Beloved
  • The Pink Institution
  • Niagara Falls All Over Again
  • Uncle John's Third Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #3)
  • The Joys of My Life (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #12)
  • Barefoot: Escape On The Underground Railroad
  • One for Sorrow, Two for Joy
  • Vandmærket
  • The Headmaster's Dilemma
  • This Side Of The Sky
  • The Transformation
  • A Fanatic Heart
Katherine Towler is author of The Penny Poet of Portsmouth: A Memoir of Place, Solitude, and Friendship and the novels Snow Island, Evening Ferry,and Island Light. This literary trilogy is set on a fictional New England island and takes place between the early 1940s and early 1990s, chronicling the lives of two generations in two island families and the impact of war on the island community. Kathe ...more
More about Katherine Towler...

Snow Island (3 books)
  • Evening Ferry (Snow Island, #2)
  • Island Light (Snow Island, #3)