Start by marking “Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)

Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  8,105 Ratings  ·  663 Reviews
One sunny morning Los Angeles bookseller and aspiring mystery author Adrien English opens his front door to murder. His old high school buddy (and employee) has been found stabbed to death in a back alley following a loud and very public argument with Adrien the previous evening.

Naturally the cops want to ask Adrien a few questions; they are none too impressed with his ans
Published May 1st 2007 by MLR Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Shadows

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
2,763 books — 2,950 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsSticks & Stones by Abigail Roux
Favorite Gay Couples
2,391 books — 3,158 voters

More lists with this book...

Lenore
I'm surprised by how much I liked this. It was slow and it dragged a little and the mystery was a bit sloppy and the villain was meh and Adrien's inner monologue could be irritating—if you let it.

But still, I can't describe how much I loved the writing. I now understand why some people claim they would read the telephone directory if a certain author wrote it. Well, when it comes to m/m crime/mystery/romantic suspense, I'll read whatever Lanyon writes.

And, by the way, Detective Riordan! Oh, Dete
Vilda
Aug 20, 2013 Vilda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: M/M Mystery readers!
Recommended to Vilda by: Everyone? Lol!
Rating: 3,5 stars

"Because people don't see you. They see their perception of you. They see what they want to see."

Ever since I read Fair Game and loved it, I've been desperate to pick this one up! I don't know how many have recommended it to me, so I was without a doubt very excited to finally give it a go. Sadly though, I did end up a bit disappointed.

I really enjoyed the story (even if the mystery wasn't too hard to figure out) as well as the characters! I was also quickly drawn into this
Loederkoningin
2015 After an embarrassing number of rereads, I've decided to up my rating from 3 to 5 stars for the first book, because I can't view this book separately from the rest of this fantastic series anymore anyway. So, there.

2013
Isn't it nice to root for a male lead who is such an adorable cookie? The 32-year-old Adrien runs a little bookshop in LA. Getting his hands on rare detectives makes his heart beat faster (ah, the effect books can have on us book nerds!). Speaking of Adrien's heart; it does t
Anna  (Bananas!)
Apr 07, 2013 Anna (Bananas!) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Five stars for being effortless and entertaining, slyly funny and utterly charming. This is true comfort reading.

Adrien is our amusing gay antihero, a simple guy who owns a bookstore that specializes in mystery novels. He's also a murder suspect. Policemen Chan and Riordan arrive on page one to question Adrien about the murder of his childhood friend and employee.

The mystery isn't terribly complicated yet it's still engaging. I was never certain of the identity of the killer and once it was re
Lena♥Ribka

I know I know, I'm a bit too late with my excitement and my new discovery of a F*CKING ADORABLE COUPLE!!

But better too late then never, right?

So...A late reading has it's advantages also.

I knew already before the reading:

That it is one of the best MM series we have.
That it is one of the best MM couples we have.

I just need to add:

Josh Lanyon is one of the best MM-writers EVER.
I LOVE his writing. LOVE IT!

Do I need to say more?????????????????????????

I ask myself: WHY FGS have I waited so long
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

A mystery with almost no romance whatsoever and very little sex content? For me? Oy, this book was so not my thing... in theory. But I surprisingly enjoyed it and the promise of what's to come is making me itch for more. I think the fact that this was an excellent audiobook really helped its case. In fact, it is well worth continuing with the series just to hear Chris Patton speak.

All in all, a promising start to a series I will hopefully come to love.
Macky
The Adrien English series is a must read if you love your m/m. In fact Josh Lanyon should be in your library somewhere. Ok it's more of a slow burner than some but that's what makes it so enjoyable. I love the way these two guys dance around each other all the way through the series. Great underlying murder mystery and I say winner and keeper. Magic!
Rosa, really
Dec 13, 2014 Rosa, really rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: FUCKING EVERYONE - what's wrong with you? (JK <3)
Update 4/30/14 - Editing all my reviews of this series in preparation for writing my review of The Dark Tide (YES, I KNOW I TAKE MYSELF WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, THANK YOU - and NO I don't know why I can't write a review without acting like I'm Gustav FUCKING Flaubert). I can't seem to write it 'cause I just don't want this series to be oveeer! *sob*
***********************************************************

March 28, 2014

I love the noirishness (hope that's a word) of this novel.

I love that Adrien owns
Ingela
Written May 26, 2014

4.3 Stars - not much of a romance but wildly fun to 'hear'... and breathlessly thrilling

Book #1

I just finished my listening to the first part in the series about Adrien English by Josh Lanyon. Kind of highly "hyped" M/M books as many readers here 'talk' about. This is also books my wise (missed) friend Vio recommended me long ago.

Five and a half audiobooks hours later:

Jeez, Yahoo, Yeah!! - I'm just like a nerdy out of time, "Thriller" dancing girl (se below). ~ What an 'un
Wendy Ciliacus
3,5 stars..I rounded down because there wasn't anything between the two MC's. I did really enjoy the book and the storyline though. Jumping right into the next one.
Breann
3rd reread, second time in audio.

******************
Adrien, Adrien, Adrien.

You might not scare yourself to death, but you just might do me in.

This was a reread (or listen) for me, I know Adrien is too curious for his own good but I didn’t remember him being so STUPID!

Anyway, I loved this. I just love Adrien to pieces and he’s one of my favorite narrators. His POV is just a pleasure to read and I don’t know if I’d get tired of it.

During this reread of the series I’m going to try my darndest n
Susan
Aug 18, 2012 Susan rated it liked it

Ummm...yeah...so this books was...surprisingly boring.

Semi-interesting lead character
Forgettable secondary characters
Blah, blah, blah storyline
And I skimmed almost the entire book until I got to the final 20% when the mystery arc finally reached it's pinnacle and I was forced to pay attention.

With that being said, I'm still hopeful that since this is the first of a series, the author was just setting everything up for the sequels. I'm giving book 2 a try, but if it doesn't pick up the entertainm
Shelley

So pleased I finally picked this up (thanks for the push Anna) I finished it in one sitting, and was very tempted to start the next straight away.

I’ll be honest and say I’m not reading this series for the murder mysteries thing, I’m reading (and reviewing) it for the (hopefully) romantic relationship development between Adrien English and Jake Riordaan.

I find that these murder mysteries leave me confused and frowny faced (not good for the wrinkles ya know) distracted and bored. I’m about as lat
Jenni Lea
Nov 19, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Natasha
Shelves: 2013-sh-november

What a great start to a series! I loved Adrien! I didn’t love Riordan! A bunch of people died. A bunch of other people lived. There was a mystery. And a Hollywood-esque HFN ending. And there was too sex in this book. I was sucked in and now I have to read the rest of the series. Like, right now. I feel sorry for all my other books that I have to read because they are just going to sit there until I’ve finished with the entire series. And possibly Josh Lanyon’s other series. And his stand-alones.
Argona
I'm writing this review after finishing the entire series. I have to say I went back and rated every single book 5 stars. What can I say, this series has officially joined my all time favorites and Adrien and Riordan have made it into my most favorite couples. Forever!

It's true that these books don't have such complicated mysteries and sometimes they kind of drag on, but after finishing the entire series, I don't have the heart to give anything less than 5 stars and I can't exactly rate each bo
Deeze
Sep 04, 2016 Deeze rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deeze by: v
I thoroughly enjoined this first introduction to Adrien English. As usual my deduction skills left me out of the loop till nearly the end, but I did manage to figure out who done it a fraction before I was told lol.

I loved that this book was based on story not instant love/sex. The murder mystery theme is not my first choice, but I’m now eager to read more of Adrien and his mysteries.

I’m also extremely eager to read more of Jake. There was no real love interest in this book, although the seeds
Jenni
Love, love, love.

That’s me, just discovering the greatness that is Adrien English. And Jake Riordan (oh, la la). Am I late to this party? Hell yes. Do I feel like I’m just now digging on cupcakes, 10 years after they became the sweet treat to eat? OF COURSE. But calm down, y’all, ‘cause I’m here now, front-and-center on the Adrien English/Josh Lanyon bandwagon.

Who knew I was a sucker for a good m/m mystery? Not me. But Adrien makes this fun. He’s snarky, slightly self-deprecating, a little bit
Sofia
Oct 17, 2015 Sofia rated it really liked it

I like the start of this series. I liked Adrien and the fact that the overall story is probably a slow burner. I like slow burners and Lanyon can write, JL is not a showy writer, the writing is quiet, subtle but it creeps upon you and grabs you. At least she has gathered me into her web and I look forward to more and more of her stuff.

There are hidden depths to Adrien. He's coasting along thinking his normal humdrum thoughts than all of a sudden these images come up in his mind and it's totally
Natasha
4.25 big beautiful stars!

Naturally, a home-run produced by my favorite author, Josh Lanyon.
I've been meaning to read this book (series) for a while, and well, it started off with a bang.
I'm a total sucker for the classic WHODUNIT's and Lanyon also produces great results.

I laughed a lot, said "WHAT THE SHIT?" a lot, and squealed like a pig at some of the awkward conversations/situations, and I loved every second of it. (view spoiler)
Jul 06, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Read-along with Christina & Angela
Welcome to my world, “Adrien-with-an-e” English! With a quiet, intelligent, lonely, witty-with-a-dash-of-smartass charm, Josh Lanyon’s introduction to the Adrien English Mystery series stole my heart and smiles. Pour me a cup of tea or hell…Adrien’s Ovaltine with a shot of whisky brew! I’m hooked! :D

This crime mystery hits close to home and heart for bookstore owner, author, and amateur sleuth, Adrien English when one of his oldest friends is found brutally murdered in a Los Angeles alley. From
Bev
Feb 06, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it
Well, I said this started off slowly for me, and it did, but I soon got into it.

I mean, it was fairly obvious who the bad guy was going to be, but the book had the usual Josh Lanyon hallmarks; humour and lots of scrummy, descriptive language with a little bit of sex thrown in for good measure.

I can't wait to see how Adrien's relationship(?) builds with Jake, and knowing Jake, it's bound to be pretty hot with sparks flying everywhere 'cos they both rub each other up the wrong way!! Onto the next
MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews
03/15-
Re-read. GAH. This book. My hateometer for Jake. My loveometer for him. So many feeeeeelllllzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mare~Slitsread

Interesting start. I wanted to know whodunit.

Adrien with an E - I like you

Jake- I don't know- I mean you may be hidden within 10000 closets- but do you have to be such a dick???

On to book 2.

Mare~Slitsread
Josh
Jan 30, 2008 Josh added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own-work
My first mystery novel. Re-edited and revamped.
Therese
Adrien is an interesting MC, with his bookshop, murder mystery group and somewhat negative thoughts.

The book was a very quick and entertaining read.

(view spoiler)
LD  Durham
Jan 30, 2008 LD Durham rated it really liked it
Fatal Shadows is, in no uncertain terms, wonderful. I say this with complete and open enthusiasm.

I started reading Fatal Shadows without even looking at the small synopsis Loose Id gives. I didn’t need to; I knew I was going to buy it and read it. And actually, I am glad I did it that way because without knowing about the “hot and handsome LAPD detective Jake Riordan” I can tell you that the romance built so subtly, the attraction ignited so smoothly and naturally, that at its culmination it mad
Amy
Apr 20, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-finished
A+ audiobook! The narrator did a great job. This is a very slow building murder mystery focusing on Adrien English, snarky bookstore owner living in L.A. A lot of sexual tension between Adrien and closeted police detective Jake Riordan (hopefully that will be explored in future books).
Katerina

Perfect reading pleasure. Great humor. I love Adrien :)
Dani
Dec 30, 2015 Dani rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of biased POVs and unreliable narrators

I just finished listening to all the Adrien-English audiobooks.

Since this is kind of a re-read I lingered and I savoured, stopping along the way every once in a while, taking in the sight. And let me tell you, it is still beautiful. It's even better than I remembered.

Adrien with an e is just the most wonderful unreliable narrator.
Such a refined, solitary, self-depreciating, entitled, stubborn, witty, self-absorbed bull-head.
And in aggravating denial about most of what is going on inside him -
Nic
Sep 20, 2013 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while but I finally 'read' my first Adrien English mystery! I'm not sure why I waited so long particularly with all the rave reviews about the series. And really, being Josh Lanyon, it was always going to be a hit!

I say I 'read' the book because I actually listened to the audio version from Audible. I do own the Kindle version but when I saw that Audible had the first three books for only $1.99 each I could not resist. It was one of the best decisions I have made - I was totally pre
The Challenge Fac...: Jennifer C, Melissa, Ezi - Fatal Shadows 33 21 Sep 10, 2013 08:12PM
  • GhosTV (PsyCop #6)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Like Coffee and Doughnuts (Dino Martini Mysteries, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • First You Fall (Kevin Connor Mystery #1)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • Shades of Gray
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

The Adrien English Mysteries (6 books)
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
  • So This is Christmas (The Adrien English Mysteries, #7)

“Drink your coffee -- people in Africa are sleeping.” 60 likes
“Vintage books, old china, antiques; maybe I love old things so much because I feel impermanent myself.” 59 likes