Start by marking “Rules of Engagement” as Want to Read:
Rules of Engagement

Rules of Engagement

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  630 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Paperback; laugh-out-loud funny, exciting and romantic
Published January 1st 2005 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Rules of Engagement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules of Engagement

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best books of our lifetime
210th out of 396 books — 600 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Summoning by Kelley ArmstrongFallen by Lauren KateMarked by P.C. CastUntamed by P.C. Cast
best books of a 16 year old girl
86th out of 87 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

HRH
Sep 03, 2007 HRH rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: very few people
My brain may have been slightly entertained and turned to mush as I read this book.
It's the story of a 25 year-old BYU student, Samantha, who doesn't know what she is doing in life or love. Of course, chaos ensues and she finds this great guy and things end well.
My complaints -- First, it would be embarrassing for anyone to flirt as much as the people in this book do. Second, BYU is not like this at all. I read another review of the book and some little graduating high schooler said that after
Jenny
Absolutely love this book. Every page made me giggle because it was totally relatable. Some of the characters were over the top, but that's what I loved about them. I had roommates like them!

While sitting on the kitchen table, standing on chairs, and late at night all piled into bedrooms, I read several parts of this book out loud to my college roommates. We ALL laughed.

This book is meant to be a romantic comedy and it is just that, there's not really any seriousness to speak of, so if you're
Kent
I have a rule when I read books. If I can't get into it by 100 pages, I will give up and move on. I figure there are plenty of interesting and imaginative books out there and I don't need to be wasting my time anymore. I rarely give up on a book. But this book met my rule.

After 100 pages I was inundated by a number of ridiculous conversations and premises. I overlooked the fact it was set at BYU but it was just too much for me. Time to move on to something interesting.
Kyle Wright
While occasionally funny, the characters felt more like caricatures and less like real people. Everyone in this story is beautiful and apparently unemployed (as nobody ever has to go to a job). The only person who isn't ridiculously attractive is the creepy stalker guy and his creepy stalker girl. Where are all the normal people? You know, the kind that aren't models and have jobs? My other complaint is that the book is pretty predictable. I knew about a third of the way in how (and with who) Sa ...more
Alicia
Oct 14, 2009 Alicia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
I HATED this book. From page 2, I was irritated with the flat characters, predictable plot, cheesy dialogue, and immaturity. How on earth is this girl 25? I've been at BYU, I dated a lot at BYU. It wasn't like that--or maybe I just had more classy friends. The humor disappeared after the first few lines because the author is incapable of finding the line between funny and outlandishly overdone. Each character is based on such extreme stereotypes of BYU students, that they're hardly recognizable. ...more
Danielle
Okay, I was pretty much annoyed the entire time I was reading this book. It was pretty obvious the main character was just the author with a different hair color (seriously? Why all the discussion about her blonde hair? Once is enough). Anyway, she just came across as, "Hey! I'm lovably neurotic! Don't you love me?!" Short answer? No. You're obnoxious.
Also, I know it's LDS chick-lit and all, so we're expecting it's going to be all about getting married, but it really bugged me that every single
Katrina Knittle
I really enjoyed this book. I found myself laughing out loud while reading this book. I will say it took me about 50 pages to get into the book. Some of the characters in the book seemed over the top, but that just made this book so much better.
Shannon Cooley
Honestly, I was pretty disappointed with this one after loving Stephanie Fowers' other books so much. I'm so glad this isn't the first of her books that I picked up, because I doubt I would have picked up another. There were some fun observations about the college culture at LDS universities, but I got that and much more from her novel "Prank Wars," which, despite its odd change of genre near the end, was a much better book and made me really excited to read more from her. This one mostly just s ...more
Jennie
This has been a fun, quick, favorite read of mine since I was a young teenager. I learned colloquial Mormon terms like "NCMO" and "MRS Degree" waaaay before I ventured off to BYU myself! I think the book could have had better editing-- there seem to be a lot of tangents that aren't terribly relevant to the story and some sentences that could be phrased better, but it is such a fun, delicious novel to read, that I can't fault it too much. I'm not much of a fan of most LDS chick lit these days, bu ...more
Jessie
You will be suprised to see that I actually did read this entire book but only gave it one star. I am not saying that others will not like this book, I have a few friends that I know would love it. However, it just wasn't up my alley. I had absolutly no connection with the main character at all. I also found it very slow. Sometimes there were three chapters that all took place in one day. The whole book is over only a month. The comparision of dating to being on a mission was very clever, but it ...more
Brooke
So, this book was cute. The love story was okay. The main character was annoying, but likable. The plot was bland.
I like a love story as much as the next girl. but an entire book devoted to a desperate girl going after and then losing guy after guy... it got old.
This book is set in a BYU girls' apartment. Brought back god memories, so that was fun.
It is a fun read, though longer than it probably needed to be. It does promise at the beginning that there's not much of a plot.. so that's good.
It is
Laura Walker
This book is a little confusing at times. It's wacky humor is silly at times, but it does show a girl how to win a guy in a roundabout way. Whew! Makes me wonder if it is really worth it for a girl to do all the chasing.
Shaunna
This was funny. Yes the characters are ridiculous, but that's what makes it so fun.
Kim
As far as lds romance, this is better than most.
Libby
This was just fun. I liked it, but that doesn't mean I would recommend it to anybody. It's basically the life of a girl at BYU and theories about how to snag the perfect man. Entertaining for sure. I think it's very funny for a Mormon, but probably if you weren't Mormon, you wouldn't get a lot of the jokes. It would still be very revealing though- you would learn a lot about Mormon life at the Y. I think it's pretty accurate (from my impressions, of course. I honestly don't have first hand exper ...more
Thais
I only finished this book because I can't stand to stop reading a book half way through it. It took me 3 days to get through the last 2 chapters that are about 10 pages long! I thought it was terrible. Unless you've been a single BYU co-ed that can never get any dates you won't like this book. The story line was just so boring, and made no sense, the characters weren't well developed. It was like reading a poorly written journal from a BYU student whose only desire is to get married.
Kathryn
This is a must read that causes laughter at every page. Bringing to mind college experiences of BYU back to the forefront of ones mind. Steph is 25 and still unmarried. She just broke up with Marcus because he was being a "jerk" and gave her the "I still want to be friends line." She flirts with everyone and seems desperate for a husband or so says Harrison and he has the instructions to trap any man that herself and her roommates may want. Let the hunting begin.
Kristyn
Jamie
This book I think can only be fully appreciated by those who have gone to BYU (or BYU-I) and experienced the whole dating atmosphere that exists there. The reason why it is so funny is because it's true. It really does give a good insight into how the dating world at BYU works. The writing itself isn't that spectacular. It is similar to dessert. Yummy, but not that substantial. But the content is true at least to my life, and I love it.
Courtney
A light romantic comedy which would only be fully appreciated by those in the Provo/LDS community. It seemed to have fairly low quality writing in the first couple chapters, but I was glad I stuck with it in the end, because the character development proved loveable. Additionally, some of the dialogue was scarily accurate. (I have heard the characters and happenings are all based on real associations of the author?)
Hollie Robb
This is for both of this book and meet your match. All I could say is this author stuck in high school? Come on grow up already, how old is she. Her books based on college people. I could understand if it was about high school kids. I mean they have love triangles all over the place, and high school kids act the same way as she wrote in her books. Dull boring and not worth the time.
Linnae
Jun 03, 2009 Linnae rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all my old roommates
Shelves: lds-fiction, romance
Hoo boy. This one brought it all back: life focused on boys, studies, and church; roommates at the Y, the quote wall, ward prayer, the testing center, and all the rest. Plus all the crazy things we did for fun. I'm surprised one of us didn't invent "kick the hook." Any of my roomies remember "window tricks?" Fast read; good for a chuckle and a sigh for days gone by.
Rebecca
This book was hilariously BYU. It could have been set in my apartment complex, what am I saying, it could have been set in my apartment! From quote walls, to the Manavu chapel, to walking down the hill from campus it nailed college life. Four stars out of five because I was slightly disappointed with the ending. Now I'm just wondering if the author was someone in my stake....
Prudence
I loved this book even it it wasn't very deep. It was filled with lots of humor and funny episodes of life as a BYU colledge student looking for that perfect eternal companion. I would especially reccomend it for you seekers out their who haven't yet found Mr./Mrs. right. It's just the antidote to all that stress so you can relax and laugh out loud for a while.
Anita
"It isn't just about fun, it's about marriage!" A quote from the book! This is a fun read that really makes me glad I'm out of the mind numbing dating game, and especially glad I didn't go to BYU.
Harrison Bean teaches the chicks of 6C the rules of finding and capturing a man. Unfortunately for Samantha an old flame is trying to sabotage all of her efforts.
Audrey
I read this while an old roommate (from my days in Provo) was visiting. We ended up reading it out load to each other cause we were laughing so hard at it. It was so funny because parts are so true. We all know people like the characters in this book which makes them easy to related to. It was a fun book that brought back, and created, fun memories.
Andrea
This was surprisingly enjoyable. It's about a BYU old maid (25 and single at BYU is old you know), and her dating situation. It was just laughable, and parts sounded familiar (liking a guy until they started liking you back and then running away). The main character's strange word choice got to me a bit, but overall it was a fun story and a fast read.
Samantha
This book completely plays off of Mormon stereotypes and it kind of irritated me because there are so many not-true stereotypes. For example, she was entirely self-conscious because a Coke can rolled out of her car. Whatever. At the same time, it's based at BYU and I could totally relate to some of the typical happenings that occur only at BYU.
Marci
New Review Jan. 11, 2013 - I re-read this book this week and I think I would give it 3 stars instead of my initial 5. I guess taste changes over time yeah? But it was witty and I liked the main character. A lot of parts reminded me of the dating games during college and in my student ward. It's just sort of a cheesy LDS romance novel. :)
Alicia
this was a cute, light story. i don't read lds fiction very often because it can get on my nerves. just too cheesy most of the time. this story pretty much follows that rule but it had some funny moments and i did enjoy it. really quick read too (as they usually are :)
  • Previously Engaged
  • Beyond Perfection
  • Spare Change
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • What the Doctor Ordered
  • Counting Stars
  • Finding Paradise
  • Taking Chances (Alpine, #2)
  • How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • To Have or to Hold
  • Divinely Designed
  • Above and Beyond (Duty Series, #2)
  • Twitterpated
  • A Time for the Heart
  • Time and Eternity
  • Heart of a Hero
Stephanie Fowers loves bringing stories to life, and depending on her latest madcap ideas will do it through written word, song, and/ or film. She absolutely adores Bollywood and bonnet movies; i.e., BBC (which she supposes includes non-bonnet movies Sherlock and Dr. Who). Presently, she lives in Salt Lake where she's living the life of the starving artist. Stephanie plans to bring more of her nov ...more
More about Stephanie Fowers...
Prank Wars Meet Your Match Jane and Austen With a Kiss At Midnight