Start by marking “For the Birds: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson” as Want to Read:
For the Birds: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson

For the Birds: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson

Roger Tory Peterson revolutionized the way we look at and appreciate birds, animals, and plants. Some kids called him "Professor Nuts Peterson" because of his dedication to his craft; yet he went on to create the immensely popular Peterson Guides, which have sold more than seven million copies, and which birders everywhere appreciate for their simple text and exquisite ill ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Calkins Creek (first published October 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about For the Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Birds

Ruth
Jan 07, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Isn't it interesting how a stunning cover can cause a reader to open a book he/she has no interest in as far a subject matter is concerned? That certainly is the case with me in relation to this children's biography of Roger Tory Peterson. You might recognize his name from the famous Peterson Field Guides that make their way into backpacks and onto bookselves of evironmental, animal, and bird lovers. Just let the kids know he was sometimes called "Professor Nuts Peterson" and you'll hook some of ...more
Cherilyn
Jul 16, 2013 Cherilyn rated it really liked it
Genre: Non-fiction

Audience: Primary

NSTA/CBC Outstanding Trade Book.
2012 Literacy Citation from the Colonial Dames of America.
2011 John Burrough's List of Nature Books for Young Readers
SKIPPING STONES--2012 Skipping Stones Honor Awards
National Outdoor Books Award 2012

Twin text: Owl Moon by Jane Yolen. Owl Moon will be a great fiction book to pair with For the Birds: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson. I teach a unit on animal classification that includes birds. I will use the KWL reading strategy
Arminzerella
Luann
Apr 02, 2012 Luann rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Luann by: JLG
Laura Jacques' illustrations here are stunning! They are as detailed as a photograph, yet brilliantly colorful and seem, if possible, even more real than a photograph would. The birds, especially, are vibrant and eye-catching and nearly fly right out of the book. What a fitting tribute to such a brilliant artist and naturalist!

The text, by Peggy Thomas, is very well written. She covers the life of "Professor Nuts Peterson" with interesting stories and details, and doesn't let the narrative slow
Christina
Dec 31, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Beautiful book! The noted bird expert as a child, through his entire life, drawing and writing the first comprehensive guide to birds of North America. I liked the humorous endpaper sketch of him in birding uniform, diagrammed as if it was a guide to the Birder, and the paintings throughout were gorgeous, though obviously computer-generated. My only quibble was the fakeness of the humans in the illustrations--too computer-game-like-- and there is one error in an illustration, where the text ment ...more
Kaitlynn Meurrens
This book is about a character named "Professor Nuts Peterson" who as the author writes, "refuses to walk in line with the other kids". He realizes his passion at a young age; he is going to spend his life focused on birds. The book takes us through the years showing us how Roger's passion for birds evolves and the experiences he has along the way. This will give young readers an inspiration to follow their dreams.
This book appeals to readers who are interested in nature and non-fiction. It is f
Amy
Jun 20, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Audience: 2nd-5th graders who like biographies or birds

Appeal: In my opinion, the best part about the book was the gorgeous illustrations. The colors are incredibly vivid and make the birds feel very life-like. I didn't know who Roger Peterson was before reading the book, and I didn't think the story of his life was particularly interesting. However, I loved the pictures and they could easily make a child want to either read more books about birds or get out in nature and discover the birds for
Tiffany
Jun 19, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book could be read by a girl or boy who are in the grade 3 to 5. This book is about the life of Roger Tory Peterson from his childhood when he was a American artist, activist, and passionate bird lover to a art student to being the creator of the Peterson Field Guides to being also a global environmentalist.

This book has bright colors and great pictures.

NCTE Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children 2012
Laura Salas
Apr 26, 2012 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
This biography of Roger Tory Peterson takes us through his childhood and into his role as an environmentalist. It's full of great details and anecdotes of both his childhood and adulthood. At almost 3,500 words, this is not a read-aloud-in-one-sitting picture book. It great for independent readers, especially ones with an interest in birds and wildlife. Back matter gives more details about Peterson and his legacy.
Liz
Feb 28, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
I have to admit... never heard of Roger Tory Peterson or his Peterson Field Guides, but I plan to check those out. Interesting naturalist, artist, and all around lover of birds. Illustrations are vibrant, and the birds pictured are lovely. LIke the end pages, back matter with more information and sources, and the writing has some fun comparisons of Roger to the birds he loved. Good picture book biography to share.
Mary
Jan 24, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
A great book for kids to learn about the boy that became an awesome naturalist, artist, and author. The text focuses on Peterson's career while a page in the back gives a little more information on his personal life. Digital illustrations are vibrant, bold, and beautiful, yet they seem somewhat out of place. It would have been nice to include a few more of Peterson's illustrations in his biography.
Annie
Jan 02, 2014 Annie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grade 2 - 4
Shelves: childrens
Although I am not a birder, this was an interesting biography. I am not crazy about the illustrations because they seems to be a mix of very well-done illustration and kind of mediocre computer illustration. The format of this book could make it a hard sell - the text is too long for younger students, but slightly older students may think it is too childish looking. Overall, I enjoyed learning about Roger Tory Peterson.
Emily
Dec 21, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, i guess mainly because I am so familiar with Roger Tory Peterson. I live just 30 minutes from his home town of Jamestown. I visit the institute on a regular basis and we have several of his bird guides. It also reminds me of my grandmother, who was an avid bird watcher.
Peggy Thomas does a nice job of describing Rogers passion for birds, the adventures he had on some of his travels and his desire to help preserve various species.
Melissa Mcavoy
I loved the text of this book. It made me care about Peterson and appreciate his groundbreaking work. But I find the illustrations deeply hideous and creepy. There is a plasticine quality and the grins on the pictured children's faces make them look like demented zombies. Yikes! both appalling and saccharine. too bad.
John Hostetter
Sep 30, 2013 John Hostetter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
The thing that automatically caught my eye were the illustrations, they are truly stunning, some of the best I feel. This story is an entertaining and informative one that is almost in a biographical style. Most students will enjoy this story despite being written that way, overall a good story!
Denise
Jun 06, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
Really beautiful introduction to Roger Tory Peterson. Illustrations are gorgeous. I really liked the fact that it focused so heavily on how Peterson's view of the world and of birding (identification with his field guides) changed the way the world looked at birds and conservation.
Teri
Feb 25, 2016 Teri rated it really liked it
Great illustrations. I didn't realize this is where the Peterson Guides got their start!
Taylor Worsencroft
I thought this was a good book, I really enjoyed reading it.
Nadiyah Alanazi
May 21, 2014 Nadiyah Alanazi rated it really liked it
This book is A great book for kids to learn about the boy that became an awesome naturalist, artist, and author. I like the small details in it. It is a great book for students.
Susan
The illustrations are stunning!
Edward Sullivan
Nov 25, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Handsomely desgined and illustrated, well-written introduction to the life and important work of the celebrated ornithologist and conservationist.
Megan
4.5 Stars. Wonderful and engaging biography of Roger Tory Peterson accompanied by fantastic illustrations.
Mrs. Tongate
Great read aloud for secondary environmental art. The illustrations are unbelieveable and gorgeous. The work of illustrator Laura Jacques is breathtaking.
Srinidhi.R Srinidhi.R
Amazing and outstanding book that inspires and encourages children to follow their dreams..
Laurie Thompson
Laurie Thompson rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Trey Veazey
Trey Veazey rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014