Start by marking “Only the Mountains Do Not Move: A Maasai Story of Culture and Conservation” as Want to Read:
Only the Mountains Do Not Move: A Maasai Story of Culture and Conservation

Only the Mountains Do Not Move: A Maasai Story of Culture and Conservation

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  14 reviews
For hundreds of years the Maasai have moved their herds of cattle and goats across thousands of miles in Kenya and Tanzania. Today they face new challenges. Here, Jan Reynolds presents a striking glimpse of these dynamic people.
Published October 1st 2011 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Only the Mountains Do Not Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only the Mountains Do Not Move

Loraine
A very well written explanation of the Masai culture and how it has evolved with current ecological, climate and current overgrazing problems. Children will enjoy reading and looking at the beautiful photographs to see how the Masai have been able to adapt their traditional lifestyle and still maintain their overall culture.
Arminzerella
The Maasai are a group of semi-nomadic people who live in Kenya and Tanzania. In the past they traveled thousands of miles with their herds, following rain and growing seasons and seeking out new pastures for their animals. They do not believe in land ownership. Their way of life has had to change with modern times, however. Other people and practices have required them to reduce their grazing territory and herds and adopt new ideas and traditions (small-scale sustainable farming, tourism, etc.)...more
Burgandy Ice
I was surprised to see this book and I didn't hesitate to request it from NetGalley. The Maasai are so private, they insist on continuing their culture despite everything and everyone. I love that about them.

When I studied Linguistics at the University of Oregon, SIL brought a Maasai over for us to learn aspects of their language. I focused on their numbering system, which is based on the livestock. I will never forget hearing the pounding in our ceiling and running up to the guy's hall to see w...more
Liz Winn
Reynolds’ book gives a brief overview of the lifestyle of the Maasai, a tribe that lives in Eastern Africa. Although the book is informative, providing us with information on tribal traditions, food, and the different roles of men and women, the text seemed to wander through its subject, and would have been better presented in categorical sections. The author wraps up the book nicely by mentioning the Maasai’s remarkable resilience and ability to adapt in the face of change in the modern world....more
Donna
A photographic essay about the Maasai people in Kenya, traditionally nomadic herders, exploring the contemporary challenges they face, focusing on environmental changes such as overgrazing of land and the threat of wildlife extinction and how the Maasi are adopting their agricultural practices and lifestyles while preserving their culture. (taken from jacket cover, 2011).
Abby Johnson
The Maasai people of Eastern Africa have cultural traditions steeped in respect for the land and animals around them, but as the world's climate and industries have changed, it's required them to change some of their ways, too. This book explores how one of the Maasai tribes is keeping their cultural traditions alive while still adjusting to the changing world.
Sharon Lawler
Beautiful photographic essay concerning the adaptation of the traditional Maasai way of life to the encroachment of the modern world. Proverbs are interspersed among the pages, and includes a glossary and pronunciation guide.
I enjoyed this book, a nice introduction to the Maasai. Some of the pictures were a little blurry--like the rhino. However, I think it would be a good introduction for kids.
Tisha
Great introduction to the Maaasai culture with lovely photos and wonderful words-of-wisdom interspersed among stories of daily life.
Emily
Really interesting book about the Maasai culture and amazing photographs.
Dustin
Nice pictures. I like the glossary and pronuciation guide, too.
Edward Sullivan
Insightful and interesting. Excellent photographs.
Nativida
Would be a good pairing with 14 Cows for America...
Mary Lee
Summer 2012 #bookaday #35
Ann Beardshear
Ann Beardshear marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Keisha
Keisha marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Gabriel Reyes
Gabriel Reyes marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Bhawna Shetty
Bhawna Shetty marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Komal
Komal marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Rebecca Bonnici
Rebecca Bonnici marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Cycle of Rice, Cycle of Life: A Story of Sustainable Farming Down Under Frozen Land Celebrate Connections among Cultures Amazon Basin