Start by marking “Only the Mountains Do Not Move: A Maasai Story of Culture and Conservation” as Want to Read:
Only the Mountains Do Not Move: A Maasai Story of Culture and Conservation

Only the Mountains Do Not Move: A Maasai Story of Culture and Conservation

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
For hundreds of years the Maasai have moved their herds of cattle and goats across thousands of miles in Kenya and Tanzania. Today they face new challenges. Here, Jan Reynolds presents a striking glimpse of these dynamic people.
Published October 1st 2011 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Only the Mountains Do Not Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only the Mountains Do Not Move

Megan Mandl
Personal Response: I loved the photographs in this book. They were large, clear, and vivid. Some pages were all photos. They really helped further explain what the text was saying, and they help the reader visualize what life is like for the Maasai people. It uses some short stories about specific people from this culture to make it really relatable. This book was really interesting and I enjoyed learning about this culture.

Purposes:
- ages 6-11
Read Aloud for Curricular Purposes:
- This book wo
Loraine
A very well written explanation of the Masai culture and how it has evolved with current ecological, climate and current overgrazing problems. Children will enjoy reading and looking at the beautiful photographs to see how the Masai have been able to adapt their traditional lifestyle and still maintain their overall culture.
Arminzerella
The Maasai are a group of semi-nomadic people who live in Kenya and Tanzania. In the past they traveled thousands of miles with their herds, following rain and growing seasons and seeking out new pastures for their animals. They do not believe in land ownership. Their way of life has had to change with modern times, however. Other people and practices have required them to reduce their grazing territory and herds and adopt new ideas and traditions (small-scale sustainable farming, tourism, etc.) ...more
Burgandy Ice
Jan 26, 2012 Burgandy Ice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to see this book and I didn't hesitate to request it from NetGalley. The Maasai are so private, they insist on continuing their culture despite everything and everyone. I love that about them.

When I studied Linguistics at the University of Oregon, SIL brought a Maasai over for us to learn aspects of their language. I focused on their numbering system, which is based on the livestock. I will never forget hearing the pounding in our ceiling and running up to the guy's hall to see w
Donna
A photographic essay about the Maasai people in Kenya, traditionally nomadic herders, exploring the contemporary challenges they face, focusing on environmental changes such as overgrazing of land and the threat of wildlife extinction and how the Maasi are adopting their agricultural practices and lifestyles while preserving their culture. (taken from jacket cover, 2011).
Abby Johnson
Oct 29, 2011 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
The Maasai people of Eastern Africa have cultural traditions steeped in respect for the land and animals around them, but as the world's climate and industries have changed, it's required them to change some of their ways, too. This book explores how one of the Maasai tribes is keeping their cultural traditions alive while still adjusting to the changing world.
Sharon Lawler
Beautiful photographic essay concerning the adaptation of the traditional Maasai way of life to the encroachment of the modern world. Proverbs are interspersed among the pages, and includes a glossary and pronunciation guide.
I enjoyed this book, a nice introduction to the Maasai. Some of the pictures were a little blurry--like the rhino. However, I think it would be a good introduction for kids.
Tisha
Jan 07, 2012 Tisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to the Maaasai culture with lovely photos and wonderful words-of-wisdom interspersed among stories of daily life.
Emily
Really interesting book about the Maasai culture and amazing photographs.
Dustin
Nice pictures. I like the glossary and pronuciation guide, too.
Edward Sullivan
Insightful and interesting. Excellent photographs.
Nativida
Dec 30, 2011 Nativida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would be a good pairing with 14 Cows for America...
Mary Lee
Jul 17, 2012 Mary Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer 2012 #bookaday #35
unknown
unknown rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Nicolle Gray
Nicolle Gray rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2014
Ann Beardshear
Ann Beardshear rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2015
Tara Skolnik
Tara Skolnik rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Claudia
Claudia rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Keisha
Keisha marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013