Start by marking “Religion Gone Bad: The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right” as Want to Read:
Religion Gone Bad: The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right

Religion Gone Bad: The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right

The bestselling author of Stranger at the Gate provides an inside expose of the Christian Right's agenda-and a playbook in how to resist it.

This Fall's midterm elections will see much discussion about the enhanced power of the Christian fundamentalist Right, leaving many people to wonder: just who are these people and what exactly do they want? What are their ultimate goa
Published September 7th 2006 by Tarcher (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Religion Gone Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Religion Gone Bad

Carolyn Lind
Some parts of this book deserve higher than a three rating, but on the whole it is in need of serious editing. I think the author's message tends to get lost in a sea of repetition.

A couple notable quotes:
"...At least twice Cameron has advocated the tattooing of AIDS patients on the face, so that people would know when they were meeting with an infected person. The penalty for trying to hide the tattoo would be banishment to the Hawaiian island of Molokai, the former leper colony."-p.163

"The
Traci
Jan 30, 2016 Traci rated it liked it
I wanted to read this title because I have gay/lesbian friends in my life and because I, too, have been concerned by the political actions/leanings of several figures of late. This was an eye-opening work, but not in the way I expected.

Mostly Mr. White talks about the leaders of several fundamentalist Christian groups, men like Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, James Dobson, etc. These are the gurus that have been urging their flocks to vote for (or against, as the case may be) legislation they deem
Stephanie
Apr 07, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Interesting look at how fundamentalists twist Biblical teachings into reasons to basically wage war against the homosexual community. Mel White is a gay Christian who outlines everything that's wrong, and dangerous, about how these groups are pushing their interpretations as hard truths with no room for alternate beliefs, and how their ultimate goal is to return America to a Christian nation (which in reality, it never was). He discusses the parallels between fundamentalism and fascism, includin ...more
Lori
Oct 23, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
This is an important work, although I stumbled on it a bit late. I'd love to read the author's take on numerous developments since its publication. I'd like to recommend this book to both those who listen to the Christian right leaders he's describing, for a better understanding of what they stand for, and to those who have dismissed them, so you can better understand the influence they are having on public debate.

To be frank, I'd rather ignore the Christian right, because I don't share their re
Sharon
Mar 14, 2009 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who values their political and religious freedom.
I think this may be one of the most important books I have ever read.

Rev. Mel White, PhD, is a former evangelical pastor who has witnessed the fundamentalist takeover of his faith -- and clearly explains the differences between the two. As an author who has ghostwritten for Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and D. James Kennedy, White is intimately acquainted with the fundamentalists' plans for a theocracy in the United States.

Having participated in various on-line debate forums with fundamentalists
Joe
Jan 13, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it
MW shows here how Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, James Dobson, James Kennedy, and other fundamentalists have used their war against homosexuality as a rallying cry in their unrelenting march toward reconstructing America as a theocracy, how their words and actions have had tragic and even deadly consequences in the lives of gay/lesbian Americans, and how their strategies toward political power threaten our nation.

Not only is MW uniquely qualified to provide an insider’s view, but his research/org
Ric
Jul 26, 2008 Ric rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
A demanding and documented account of what happens when fanatical religion and fascistic politics merge an provide religion that simply can only be called terrorism. We worry about the "extremists" in other religions yet we have fundamentalist right here on our TV sets, Radios, and in our President's ear. Truly frightening. Every gay individual should read this book, no EVERY one should read this book, and educate their selves on the evil that hides itself under Christianity. Read it if only to ...more
Stephen
Apr 11, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it
The title of this book is somewhat misleading I think. The author focuses mainly on the Christian Right's attacks on homosexuality. As he is a gay man himself, it is understandable that he emphasizes this over the other "hidden dangers," but I think the book would have benefited from a bigger picture. He also repeats himself a bit much in trying to get his point across. Several times as I was reading I would think to myself "Didn't I just read that same quote?" It was distracting, and the main r ...more
Denise
Dec 18, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, nonfiction
The author has been a pastor, professor, filmmaker, television producer, author, and ghostwriter for Christian leaders such as Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and Billy Graham. He documents the alarming rise to power of fundamentalist Christians in American politics and religion. Warns readers about the hazards of replacing our Constitutional democracy with a legal system based on literal biblical law. Explains how America was NOT founded as a Christian nation but rather a country where freedom OF ...more
Nick
Apr 04, 2013 Nick rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: gays, Christians, gay Christians
For fun, I read this and To Save America: Stopping Obama's Secular-Socialist Machine at the same time. Who knew both sides were hell-bent on destroying America? I certainly didn't!

I read this last year but I already have a hard time remembering it. I know this much: it was actually a thoroughly-researched but repetitive argument argument that homosexuality should be tolerated by Christianity, the author being a gay Christian himself.
Christopher Sol Cruz
Jul 06, 2007 Christopher Sol Cruz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Find out what fundamentalists have planned for a war on the GLBTQ community in America. These angry "Christians" have turned God and the Bible into idols, picking and choosing what they want to believe from them as ways to make money, instill fear, and control government and society.

This is an important, if not critical read for anyone who values democracy over the theocracy fundamentalists want to put in place.
Elizabeth
Jul 14, 2009 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Pretty good book, kinda long. But very informative. You can tell this guy is serious about gay rights and has done his homework. I don't know, but I don't think it will every sound right when white people say 'my brothers and sisters'. :) The last line of the book, however, is the jaw dropper. I'm tempted to e-mail the author and ask exactly what he meant by it. Good read.
Kevin L.
Jun 21, 2008 Kevin L. rated it really liked it
An insightful, somewhat terrifying peak into the world of organized "Christianity" and how it's a well-oiled machine which can inspire and raise millions in moments with no conscience or regret.
Renay
Jan 24, 2010 Renay rated it liked it
Very conversational style. Utilized good examples to support conclusions. Repetitive. Organization could have been a bit tighter. Thought provking.
Rictus
Jun 03, 2011 Rictus rated it it was amazing
Either you really hate this book or really love it. You can obviously see how I feel about it ;)Open your eyes people. Inform yourself.
Aaron
Aug 09, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it
A fantastic look into the some of the most prominent influences in today's politics, especially concerning gay rights.
Russell
Aug 26, 2010 Russell rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone wanting know know the truth behind fundamentalist attacks on homosexuality.
Rodney Hinds
Sep 16, 2009 Rodney Hinds rated it really liked it
Mel does a very good job of showing the dark side of fundamentalism with real live examples.
Rob
Jan 30, 2008 Rob rated it it was amazing
Great book to see what is really going on behind the some of American's clergy.
PG
Sep 04, 2007 PG is currently reading it
When I finish this book, will post my opinion!
Doris Evans-McCarthy
Doris Evans-McCarthy rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Mele
Mele marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Mele
Mele added it
Aug 18, 2016
Han
Han rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Jerry Henley
Jerry Henley rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Doug Walters
Doug Walters rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Bob Erickson
Bob Erickson rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Mare Davids
Mare Davids rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Seth Bartley
Seth Bartley marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016