Start by marking “Frisky Brisky Hippity Hop” as Want to Read:
Frisky Brisky Hippity Hop

Frisky Brisky Hippity Hop

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
With their hurrying and scurrying, digging, climbing, and leaping, squirrels fascinate young children. Here photographs capture squirrels working, playing, hiding, and even teasing a hawk.
Published February 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Frisky Brisky Hippity Hop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frisky Brisky Hippity Hop

Donalyn
Based on an 1871 poem, this book celebrates squirrels and their active lives. Fantastic photographs.
Barbara
Mar 01, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, animals, ncbla2013
Based on a poem written in 1871 with new lines added, this book celebrates squirrels who almost always seem to be on the move. The poem's lines and the accompanying photographs follow squirrels up and down trees, describing their characteristics and activities: their tails,"broad as a sail" (unpaginated); movement "giggly wriggly" (unpaginated); and the sounds they make as they prepare a peanut for dining "snappity crackity" (unpaginated). Young readers will enjoy the fun of watching first one s ...more
Maggie KutsBorg
I loved using real photographs for my squirrel themed storytime. That said, this book didn't keep my toddlers' attention very well - I should have worked them out on wiggle songs a little harder first!
Courtney
May 03, 2016 Courtney rated it it was amazing
I really like this one for toddlers, you get to hop like a squirrel, stretch like a tree, count the squirrels. :)
Darla
Mar 10, 2014 Darla rated it really liked it
SQUIRREL!
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Poetry combined with photography leads to a delightful autumn book for not only children but anyone who enjoys the season. Not many words combined with awesome photography lure you to get outdoors to enjoy the season.

Pam S. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Sandy Brehl
I'll admit my first impulse was to give this three stars, since it is a very competent rhyming text with appealing squirrel photos. But I'll also admit I am a total fan of squirrels, and so reread it several times. That's when I realized it has significant potential for younger readers for language development, world patterns, rhyming words, and vocabulary development. If you read it, take time to read it twice.
Christiane
Apr 18, 2012 Christiane rated it really liked it
I can't wait to use this for a squirrel story time! Utterly adorable photos of squirrels doing adorable squirrel things like scampering, digging, peeking out of tree holes, and sitting upright with their cute little paws on their bellies. I think kids will really enjoy this, especially since we have so many squirrels around here.
Angela
Jan 31, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
What makes this expanded poem most interesting is the up-close and personal photographs of squirrels. Recommended companion to THOSE DARN SQUIRRELS--a fun, illustrated picture book tale of an older man and his battles with the squirrels in his life.
Linda Atkinson
Feb 03, 2012 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it
If you aren't a fan of those "rats with tails," you have to be amazed at their antics. Murray Head has done a fantastic job of capturing these creatures in photographs to accompany an 1871 poem by Alexina B. White with new verses by Susan Lurie.
Melissa
A cute rhyme and clear, up-close photographs. The poem this book is based on is carefully cited, but since it was adapted and expanded by the author, it would have been nice to reprint the original poem in the back.
David
Apr 18, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Another photography book. I'm not big on poetry in stories, but this one was fun with a decent rhythm and not too long. It provides a child with a pictorial view of an animal in its natural habitat.
Vicki
Oct 11, 2013 Vicki rated it it was amazing
The awesome, clear, sharp photographs help the readers and listeners to see a squirrel in action in the real world. Leaping and soaring, great vocabulary (just look at the title!)for all.
Jun 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Very cute and simple squirrel picture book with real (very cute) photographs... I could use this both for toddler and preschool storytimes. Catchy verse.
Rosalie
Apr 14, 2012 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Real live illustration go along with the poetic story of a playful squirrel. Read to a classroom of children in the fall! Your children will love it!
Kate Hastings
Preschool- Grade 1. Great real pictures of squirrels. Not much of a story-- but might be fun to share the "real" thing before a story.
Michelle
Feb 02, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Great pictures of real squirrels, but it is a little on the longer side so it may not work as well in a toddler storytime.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 01, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Wonderful photographs of adorable bushy-tailed rodents illustrate this fun 1871 poem. expanded with new verses.
Kristen
The photos of the squirrels are what sets this picture book apart. Would be fun to pair with Scaredy Squirrel.
Shelli
Apr 16, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable! I love when picture books have real pictures of critters just being their normal sweet selves.
Leah
Sep 01, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
Beautiful photographs of gray squirrels and a simple poem that introduces their activities to young children.
Maria
Apr 02, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
Four stars just for the photos. I think this could be a fun addition to a squirrel story time.
Mary
Apr 07, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
This is a *rhyming* *photograph* book about *squirrels*.
My life may be complete. /love
Apr 03, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Way cute pictures of squirrels and a snappy poem make this a sure-fire storytime hit.
Patty
Feb 11, 2012 Patty rated it liked it
Great photographs for the preschool set exploring poetry, fall and squirrels.
Nicole
Sep 18, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book
Loved the pictures in this book - all snapshots of real squirrels in action...
Allison
Jun 26, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I like the fact that it has real photographs!
Nadia
Mar 10, 2012 Nadia rated it it was ok
Cute pictures, meh poetry. Inara likes flipping through it.
Maria
Simple words and photographs... this will be great for Storytime.
Nov 28, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Review for school library. Great book for young students.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »