Wake Me When It's Funny: How to Break into Show Business and Stay

Wake Me When It's Funny: How to Break into Show Business and Stay

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This memoir and show-business primer from one of film and TV's most successful writer-producer-director-actors (Pretty Woman, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Murphy Brown) gives sound advice on how to create comedy, break into TV, shoot movies, and deal with Hollywood. 40 b/w photos.

Garry ("Allergic to Everything but Success") Marshall has written hund...more
Published July 1st 1997 by Newmarket Press (first published August 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Me When It's Funny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Me When It's Funny

David Owen
One of the best books I've ever read. Insightful, funny, poignant. A must have for writers and aspirational people every where.
Debbie
I read Mr. Marshall's more recent book, "My Happy Days in Hollywood", and enjoyed it very much all the way through, so I looked for other books that he has written and found "Wake Me When It's Funny". This book, although initially not as breezy and fun as "My Happy Days in Hollywood" was also an interesting read and quite delightful once I got past the first few pages.

Some of the stories he tells overlap with his more recent book, but I soon discovered that this one goes into much more detail a...more
Seth Madej
This is one of the least appealing books I've read in a long time. Garry Marshall seems like a genuinely good person, and there's no denying his success. But I can't figure out what he intended Wake Me When It's Funny to be. It's not quite a memoir, though there's a constant stream of bar-mitzvah-grade anecdotes. It's not quite a guidebook to getting into show business, despite a bunch of strange advice. Marshall seems to assume the reader has no knowledge of the TV or film industry, but he give...more
Jim
Not so much as how to be funny as how you get funny, and how you know what's funny. An absolute essential for those aspiring to make others laugh professionally.

Marshall reveals that he has written so much television that he knows where all the jokes are. He's done most situations, knows where they all lead, and that kind of experience can save you time going up wrong alleys.

Loved his wonderful acting work as a network executive on Murphy Brown. A certain amount of pain, suffered personally, can...more
Thomas Herring
Not too bad. It talks a lot about the early days of show business with Syd Cesar, Jackie Gleason and other comics. The book doesn't talk about the fundamentals of writing screenplays though. It's interesting how he blazed a trail to Hollywood and then later his two sisters Penny and Ronny with a lot of friends and relatives followed along. Guess working with family does pay off.
Amy Wolf
Garry Marshall has done it all: from the early days of TV to huge features like Princess Diaries, Runaway Bride, and Pretty Woman. He's very funny, and this book moves quickly. He does talk about sister Penny (he produced Laverne & Shirley).
Mike Horne
This was OK. Not particularly well written, but some good insights on being a writer and director. I am not a big fan of Garry Marshall movies.
Renee Panichelli
Outside of an extended Runaway Bride section. This was fantastic and funny.
Maria Dorfner
Hilarious stories and terrific no-nonsense advice. Loved it.
Wes
Very light hearted, and easy before-bed kind of book :)
Susan
So great. Loved to hear his path (to success)
Aimee
love garry marshall. so much good advice.
Bob Conder
Great Bio from a great man.
Ciaran groarke
Ciaran groarke marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Jana
Jana added it
Mar 06, 2014
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Zetti
Zetti marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Kayann Legg
Kayann Legg marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My Happy Days in Hollywood: A Memoir Frankie and Johnny 1991 film Happy Days - A Musical Wrong Turn At Lungfish It's Dark in London