Start by marking “Lydia Bailey” as Want to Read:
Lydia Bailey

Lydia Bailey

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A fascinating, thoroughly researched historical novel of Haiti and Africa, and the early United States, outlining Haitians battle for freedom seen through the eyes of one man. This 1947 outing features Albion Hamlin, who comes to Boston in 1800 to defend a man accused of violating the Alien and Sedition Act. In a whirlwind of action, Hamlin is jailed, then escapes to Haiti ...more
Published June 1947 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about Lydia Bailey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lydia Bailey

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierKatherine by Anya SetonThe Far Pavilions by M.M. KayeTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Gems from the Past
115th out of 320 books — 331 voters
Walking the Corporate Beat by Michael TabmanSiddhartha by Hermann HesseOn the Road by Jack KerouacZen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. PirsigA Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
Man Books
86th out of 121 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Readitnweep
This story takes you on quite a ride. There is a romance within its pages but make no mistake - this is an adventure story. Lots of action and travel. The imagery is well crafted, and the characters are highly defined. At just over 600 pages, it's long but I had no problem staying with the story. Great ride!
Duane
This historical novel is set in Haiti during the mid 19th century when it was a French colony fighting for independence. The novel was well written but brutally descriptive with very violent scenes. Very compelling characters with a little romance thrown in made it an entertaining read. Thanks to my Grandmother, I have a copy of this 1947 publication on my bookshelf.
Beakerkin
Deb
Kenneth Roberts is a memorable author.... he goes through enough detail and adds enough human story that the history and story stay with you. But Roberts has that writing magic to make it feel real, as if i was living it, so it stays with me.

We should understand the fate of the colonial-based colonies and how each struggled for independence and the perils. I don't ask myself questions about why Haiti has NO trees on it anymore, or why the poverty is seemingly unshakeable. Roberts helps you live
Sandy
Historical novel of Haiti and Tripoli on the African coast. Heavy reading, but history that took me right down into the trenches. Some disturbing characters, the Americans were not always the good guys.
Stephen
One of this author's very best novels about a young man who falls in love with a portrait and goes to Haiti to search for her. The setting is a civil war in Haiti. A wonderful romance.
Mike McAdam
What a great book! On the recommendation of my mother, I decided to read this book and I thought it was fantastic. It is very much about the revolution in Haiti but it is also a love story (kind of) set in that atmosphere. Great memorable characters - both good and bad - come and go and the plot is interesting, moves quickly, and is completely unpredictable. I enjoyed it so much, I am seeking out other books by Kenneth Roberts. Highly recommended.
Georgia Hollrah
This is an a wonderful book with adventure, romance, mystery and so much terrific historical information that one read is not enough. This is one of my top ten books of all time!
Ann
Sep 08, 2008 Ann rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of historical fiction
Shelves: historicalnovel
Written in the late 1940s. Historical novel set during the revolution in Haiti in the mid 1800s and the Barbary Coast. Pirates and rebels and a hero and heroine. Seemed to be well researched.
Critics say it was too pat and romanticised, but that's why I like writers of that era. They tend to take the tough topics without flinching, (because they were used to war) then makes them end nice. Picked it up at the library on a whim simply because of the publication date.
Marilyn
I read this book for the first time when I was in high school. How refreshing to go back now and read it with a more sophisticated knowledge of time and place. I loved it in high school, and with a deeper understanding, I still love it! It is a carefully researched historical fiction novel set in the early days of the United States with Haiti and the Barbary Coast as its major settings...a love story, yes, but really an adventure novel. "Oh my goo'ness me my!"
Jan
Dec 16, 2012 Jan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone not subject to nightmares.
This is historical fiction that takes place in New England, Haiti, Spain, and Arabia. There is romance, but mostly it's about war.
Maybe it's not one of this author's best. I loved his books, Northwest Passage, and The Lively Lady. This was far too gruesome and violent for my taste, but I suppose he was trying to stay historically correct. The book did make me run to my computer a number of times to Google characters. Some I found, some I didn't.
John
Maybe it's not one of this author's best, but it's very good. This was very gruesome and violent, but he was trying to stay historically correct. It was because of this revolution in Haiti that Napoleon was unable to attack the U.S. as he planned, leading to the Louisiana Purchase
Nathalie Nelson
I read this book when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. In fact I enjoyed it so much I read it twice. I had not known in such detail about the pirates of the Barbary coast. I learned by this book to enjoy Kenneth Roberts writing so much that I looked for books written by him after that.
J. A. Bland
An excellent historical fiction. Haiti, Tripoli and American involvement in both. A compelling narrative of the times which was as apropos in 1947 (publish date) as it is today.
Donna
Kenneth Roberts is an author known for his historical accuracy. I loved the insight into Haitian independence, and the Barbary War on the shores of north Africa in a story of romance and war.

I'm glad to have a copy of this book on my bookshelves.
Dorothy
I had forgotten about this book, which I read in middle school, until events in Haiti called it to mind again. I loved it at the time I read it. I'm not sure how I would feel about it today.
Mermarie
Feb 24, 2013 Mermarie marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-paperback
Have another cover for this, and will upload soon. :D I'm supposedly related to this historical figure; I'll have to dig into genealogy to figure all that out.
Amanda
Between the commentary on politics that's still relevant today, the completely relateable characters, and the swashbuckling adventure, this book is amazing.
Scottmangan
A surprisingly good read, (though VERY politcally incorrect by today's standards). In interesting view from the '40s of colonial times.
Doreen
A good, and necessary, reminder that no country is infallible, not even America. Also, that people suck. Seriously, a great book.
Erika Eklund
I LOVED this book - rich with history and epic in scope. I was carried away and around the world with this one!
Kelley
Great adenture Love story AND enjoy learning a little about Haiti. Super book!
Rubi
I found it somewhat boring and did not complete it
Shelley Lederman
One of my favorite authors of historical fiction.
Christine Peterson
Christine Peterson marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Anne Vonhof
Anne Vonhof is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Caitlin Wright
Caitlin Wright marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
  • Jubilee Trail
  • The Tokaido Road
  • A Knight's Vow
  • The Black Rose
  • Gateway to Empire
  • Meet the Malones
  • The Old Priory
  • The Raven: A Biography of Sam Houston (Texas Classics)
  • The Gunner (Alford Saga, #6)
  • Spirited Away
  • Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)
  • Captain Hornblower R.N.: Hornblower and the Atropos / The Happy Return / A Ship of the Line
  • Rascals in Paradise: Turbulent Adventures and Bold Courage on the South Seas
  • For Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne had won at Saratoga
  • People of the Black Sun: A People of the Longhouse Novel
  • The Mutiny on the Bounty Trilogy
  • Banners of Gold (Alix of Wanthwaite, #2)
  • The Eagle and the Raven
Kenneth Lewis Roberts (December 8, 1885 – July 21, 1957) was an American author of historical novels. Roberts worked first as a journalist, becoming nationally known for his work with the Saturday Evening Post from 1919 to 1928, and then as a popular novelist. Born in Kennebunk, Maine, Roberts specialized in Regionalist historical fiction. He often wrote about his native state and its terrain, als ...more
More about Kenneth Roberts...
Northwest Passage Arundel Rabble in Arms Oliver Wiswell The Lively Lady