Frida

Frida

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  579 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo was born in Mexico in 1907. This is the story of how she learned to paint, how painting saved her life, and why her paintings are like no-one else s. Like Frida s art, this is a work of the imagination, but it is also true.
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2005 by Frances Lincoln (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Frida, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frida

David
If you want young readers to know “just the facts, ma’am,” about renowned Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo, then this is your book. The vague narrative mentions the effects of polio and a bus accident “that is too nightmarish to describe here,” on Frida’s health. In addition to this melodramatic condescension to young readers, which according to the recommended age groups (Grades 3-6) should be old enough to read less formless details of her life, Winter also fails to mention her distinct experience...more
Crystal
I loved the fancifulness in the illustrations. The illustrator explained that she used elements from Mexican folk art that Frida would have seen in her childhood. It gave the story an added bit of creativity that seemed in keeping with Frida's own imagination. For me the illustrations take this book to a higher level. They really are unique and surreal.

The author did an excellent job of explaining her very complex life in a way that young children can understand. He also kept it rated G. He des...more
Aahigg
Frida Kahlo is one of my absolute favorite artists and women. She was revolutionary in her work as well as her activism and the way she lived her life. Obviously when I saw this beautiful book I was thrilled! This is the story of Frida that we know, covering many of the most important events of her life, but telling her story in a way that is appropriate for a young honest but is still honest and retains its integrity. The artwork by Ana Juan is absolutely beautiful, a little abstract, incorpora...more
Nida Iftekaruddin
Grade/interest level: K-2
Reading level: 260L
Genre: Biography

Main Characters: Frida Kahlo, Father
Setting: Mexico
POV: Third Person

Summary:
Frida Kahlo grew up in Mexico with her mother, father, and five sisters. Her father taught her how to use a paintbrush, and the wonders of basic brush strokes. Her mother was tired after caring for five girls, so Frida spent her time painting. She was diagnosed with polio and was bedridden for nine months. During this time, Frida would paint to free herself from...more
Lauren Owens
Beautiful depiction of Frida Kahlo. This book illustrates Frida's life from infancy all the way up to her death. The story line is fascinatingly informative and the pictures are absolutely beautiful. Frida is a great book for encouraging others who are disadvantaged in some way but are trying their hardest to be all they can be. It is also a good book for art exploration and creativity lessons since Frida's style of art is so unique and the pages are filled with masterpieces. I read this book in...more
Jazmin
Frida by Jonah Winter and illustrated by Ana Juan is biographical picturebook about the life of Frida Kahlo. It is great for grades third and up, because they can grasp what the strange characters are, and why Frida painted them. This can also be another way that students can see Frida’s early life and learn facts about her that her paintings also reveal.
The cover alone shows Frida as a young child, identifiable by her pronounced uni-brow, peacefully riding a red bird as she finishes painting...more
Kira
Text: 4.5 Stars
Illustrations: 5 Stars

A short simple biography of Frida Kahlo's early life and how her accidents inspired her to paint.

I don't know much about Kahlo, but the author did a good job showing what an inspiration she was. The story was simple enough to understand who she was as a young girl and her influences.

The real standout is Juan's art. She uses symbolism to depict the difficulties in Frida's life, so the book isn't too graphic. In an artist's note, Juan explains how she uses char...more
Erica Nicol
I'm rating this a bit higher than I otherwise might because it's one of the very, very few books (possibly the only book?) about Frida Kahlo available for very young children and because the artwork is so vibrant and compelling.

The text is serviceable, but the illustrations elevate the entire story. This is a book I had purchased when I was taking a children's literature class, and one my daughter pulled off my shelf. While I have some concerns about what she will make of Frida's story as she ge...more
Barbara
Pair this one with the author's earlier biography, Diego, since both of them make an excellent introductory pairing to two unique and influential artists whose personalities sometimes seem to be even more memorable than their art. Winter focuses chiefly on Frida Kahlo's early days, describing briefly her childhood illness and the bus and trolley collision that almost killed her. Dealing with almost debilitating pain, Kahlo painted her way through the pain, apparently channeling her emotions in h...more
Renee
Frida, written by Jonah Winter, is one of the most fascinating children’s books I have read. The illustrations are powerful, moving, and rich. The book asks the reader to think about Frida's hardships and talents with craft and imagination. Frida experienced adversity and serious physical pain in her childhood; however, she never gave up but instead used her pain to paint, and paint and paint. Frida painted some of her most highly praised works of art during her emotionally lowest and highly pai...more
Rose
historical non-fiction (biography), biographies for young children, facts integrated into storytelling
Lily
The illustrations were adorable. I liked reading about little Frida. Her story is very unique. I think all children could benefit from learning about her and her art. She escaped the pain in her life by doing something positive and creative. She was a great role model and I admire her so much.
Tiffany
Nice introductory for young readers and fantastic illustration.
Krupal Morjaria
Frida the story is like something I've never read before. It has the power to capture a readers attention immediately. The different types of emotions that Frida deals with through out the story really comes out in the illustrations. It helps us understand the pain Frida felt during her childhood and as a grown up. This story quickly became one of my favorites due to the emotion the author represented in each word and picture. The illustrations helped us see what Frida might have really looked l...more
Jeff
We all really liked this one. My wife is a children's Spanish teacher and is always looking for interesting children's books in Spanish. This book steps through the big events in Frida's life, at least those that you can discuss with kids. I loved how Ana Juan's art was evocative of Frida's style without just copying it. I had the catalog from the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and I used this as an introduction to the catalog, which had photos of Frida, Diego Rivera, Fri...more
Matthew
This book is different than many of the others that I've read of late. It is strong and inspiring, yet sparing in details. The author's note is even minimal in its attempt to show the artist for who she was. Obviously, a lot of the less child-friendly aspects of Frida's life have been omitted, yet the story is sure to garner some interest among young readers. Of course, the art is very culturally specific in an effort to illustrate where Frida's inspiration would have come from. I enjoyed it qui...more
Elizabeth Mcdonough
This book has a dark undertone to it, but it is very informative.

Frida's father gave her painting lessons when she was a young girl. Frida gets polio and she has to be bedridden for nine moths. She started to draw, so she would not be bored sitting in bed all day. Then, a bus accidents leave her in a great deal of pain. Her paintings tart off showing her depression caused by the accident. Then, her painting begin to show more a joyous tone. Frida uses the struggles in life to create art.
Brittany

The book is Beautifully illustrated. I have learned a lot about Frida in the past couple of years and she is a very iconic artists. I think that this book would be more appropriately geared for higher grades 3rd and up. This book is very heavy but it is a great depiction of Frida's demeanor. I chose yo place this book under multiple shelves: Express your self, names overcoming differences. Students will use this book when learning about famous painters, or during social studies lessons.
Rosa Jimenez-Hernandez
Jul 14, 2008 Rosa Jimenez-Hernandez rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and children who are interested in art and artisits.
I love this book! My sis got this book for my daughter when she was a newborn. She's now five and it's one of her favorite reads. Cool thing is that I used it as a Frids kahlo primer in my fourth grade classroom and it was a hit there too! So, even too-cool-for-school, jaded, bored 10 yr. olds from different backgrounds who aren't at all interested in art (at least they didn't know it until now) enjoyed this book and learned from it too.
That has to count for something, right?!
Kristin
Positively reviewed. (www.denverlibrary.org)

This biography of Frida Kahlo reads like a picture book. Indeed, the narrative is like poetry. The illustrations mimic Frida's style and would easily capture the attention of young readers. The main details of Frida's life are made real through accessible text and vivid colors.

An excellent book to begin an art lesson on Frida's work, for grades K-2nd. Would also work as read-aloud when studying biographies.
Lisa Overberg
A biography of Frida Kahlo, with beautiful illustrations. The book is honest about the hardships faced by Frida throughout her life, leaving out the brutal details of her illnesses and accidents. It shows how resilient Frida was and how much she loved to paint. It also includes an author's note with more in depth information on her life.

Interest Level: K-2
Alexis
Nov 28, 2007 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3rd-4th grade
Shelves: biography, do-not-own
The author tells of the famous painter Frida when she was a small child. It's a great way to get students interested in artwork. The author has wonderful pictures with his fairly simplistic biography of a very complex woman. It was interesting to read a tale of her childhood as many people choose to focus on her eventful adulthood. The author does a good job of making it appropriate for school age children. I would use it for an art/artist introduction.
Melia
I think that Frida is a fantastic book because it ismanly about Frida and nothing els and it's all relevent and she loves to paint.

One of the things that amazes me is that when she came home from school the bus was hit by a trolly and Frida nearly died but she painted and she didn't die which means that she wil panit for internal life.

and that tell'syou that you should always do something you love because it keeps you going.
Casey Strauss
This picture books gives a brief biography of the artist Frida Kahlo. It is beautifully illustrated by Ana Juan. The story follows Frida's love of art from an early age until she is older. I think that this story can be shared with students in a way that encourages interpretation and questioning since it gives such a large overview of Kahlo's life. It also would be a good book to use as an introduction to Kahlo's work and history.
Kimberly Ward
The illustrations in this non-fiction book about the life of artist Frida Kahlo are amazing! When young Frida is bedridden with a polio she teaches herself how to draw which saves her life. When she is better she starts paintings. When she is in a horrible bus accident it is art that saves her life again. Through her constant pain Frida create beautiful works of art. I would use this book to teach biography, art, and perserverance.
Seth Lebaron
This book is about Frida Kahlo, a famous mexican artist who dispite all the pain in her life was able to paint beautiful painting with such emotion. This could be used in a series of book that travel around world, and let the students view a new art style. The book could also be used to introduce a biography, and the student could write their one about their classmates.
Meg
Recommended by a coworker/friend.
Simply magical in a way that many picture books just aren't.
Informational (good blurb at the back), but a great introduction for young readers to one of history's great artists.
Melody Richardson
This is a story of a little girl who uses her pain to create something beautiful that helps her throughout the hardships in her life. She ends up growing up into the great painter Frida Khalo. This story is great for an art lesson, but also to teach perseverance to students. This little girl never gave up and neither should our students.
Victoria Laporte
This book tells the story of Frida Kahlo. It uses her artwork to tell her story which I found interesting. This book can be used to teach students about handling tragedies in their life. Furthermore, it can be used to start discussions about autobiographies and biographies. Lastly, a teacher can have students write a classmate's life story.
This book focuses more on Frida's childhood. I like that it rounds out the picture of her that I want to present to my students, and also that the illustrations include elements of Kahlo's art. I thought the wording was awkward in many spots and that the amount of information presented was low. I think it is more suited to younger children.
  • Me, Frida
  • The Pot That Juan Built
  • Ron's Big Mission
  • Henry Aaron's Dream
  • Skit-Scat Raggedy Cat: Ella Fitzgerald
Here Comes the Garbage Barge! You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?! Just Behave, Pablo Picasso! Jazz Age Josephine Dizzy