Start by marking “Frida” as Want to Read:
Frida

Frida

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  861 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo was born in Mexico in 1907. This is the story of how she learned to paint, how painting saved her life, and why her paintings are like no-one else s. Like Frida s art, this is a work of the imagination, but it is also true.
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2005 by Frances Lincoln (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Frida, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frida

David
If you want young readers to know “just the facts, ma’am,” about renowned Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo, then this is your book. The vague narrative mentions the effects of polio and a bus accident “that is too nightmarish to describe here,” on Frida’s health. In addition to this melodramatic condescension to young readers, which according to the recommended age groups (Grades 3-6) should be old enough to read less formless details of her life, Winter also fails to mention her distinct experience ...more
Tory Haberman
Oct 11, 2014 Tory Haberman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frida by Jonah Winter and illustrated by Ana Juan, is a great picturebook for any age range. The book reflects on the author’s life growing up through beautiful paintings and artistic detail. Frida Kahlo’s father, at a young age, gave her lessons in color and brushwork. Then, when Frida caught polio (which kept her in bed for months), she drew and drew which saved her from the boredom that overcame her. Unfortunately, she was left crippled after a terrible bus accident that was so unimaginably a ...more
Beth
Uninspired and staccato writing. There are many other books about Frida Kahlo that are much better.
Inge
A gorgeous and necessary little biography.
Christina Cabezas
Dec 01, 2015 Christina Cabezas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Frida
Author: Jonah Winter
Illustrator: Ana Juan
Genre: Biography (grades K-2)
Theme(s): Art, perseverance, beauty through pain.
Opening line/sentence:
Frida enters the world.

Brief Book Summary: This book explores the life of the famous female artist, Frida Kahlo. The book begins at her birth, details her journey through life including her struggles, injuries and other hardships that she endured. It explains in kid-friendly terms how she used painting and Art to express herself during her mos
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: November 5th, 2014

Author: Jonah Winter; Illustrated by Ana Juan

Title: Frida

Plot: Jonah Winter and Ana Juan's highly informative and colorful picture-book depicts the life of the world-renowned Frida Kahlo, one of the most important artists in the Mexican culture, from the time she was born until her death.

Setting: Coyoacan, Mexican

Characters: Frida Kahlo

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Art, Biography, Informational

Style: Informational, Biographical Picture/Art Book

Copyright: 2002

Notes:
Deena Lernor
Oct 17, 2014 Deena Lernor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frida is about the life story of the famous painter Frida Kahlo. Frida is a young girl full of imagination. The story starts out by explaining that Frida is lonely because her mother is always busy taking care of her other siblings. Frida then becomes friends with this imaginary girl who is also named Frida. Frida then finds interest in her fathers photography and he teaches her to use a paint brush. Frida goes through a series of events that put her life in danger. From those events Frida pract ...more
Alyssa Frank
This picture book is about the autobiography of Frida Kahlo. It starts by telling about Frida's childhood, how her father inspired her to paint and she was often lonely despite her large family. The picture book talks briefly about Frida was injured as a child and while she was sick in bed she practiced her art frequently. Frida gets into an accident in her youth which changes her life for forever. She will be in pain for the rest of her life and Frida uses her struggle to create some of the wor ...more
Oksanna Scheidt
Tragedy can strike at any moment and being able to handle that takes special talent. Frida does a good job of finding the thing that keeps her calm through it all, art. Art is the way to the soul as some people would say and for Frida, this is just the case. She was struck with Polio and then suffered through a terrible bus accident but kept complete control of herself because her best friend was art.

The real life painter named Frida has an interesting approach to her art. It's based on her ima
Macy
This book is about the life of Frida Kahlo starting from when she was a very young girl. It describes how she was struck with Polio when she was seven years old, hit by a bus, and then became a famous Mexican Painter. All throughout the book her vivid and expansive imagination is expressed and displayed. The setting to this book is very integral to the story. The book takes place in Mexico, which is important because it helps inform the readers of the culture that inspired Frida and the lifestyl ...more
Brenna
Oct 07, 2014 Brenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-lit
In true form Frida celebrates the much treasured artist and culture icon Frida Kahlo and her younger years growing up in Mexico in the early 1900s. The narrative follows Frida’s youth highlighting her struggle with Polio and later bus accident that heavily impacted her as not just a person but an artist. This story doesn’t get into the nitty-gritty details of these events and instead spends more time focusing on the impact it left with the growing woman and how it affected her work.

I loved the d
Crystal
I loved the fancifulness in the illustrations. The illustrator explained that she used elements from Mexican folk art that Frida would have seen in her childhood. It gave the story an added bit of creativity that seemed in keeping with Frida's own imagination. For me the illustrations take this book to a higher level. They really are unique and surreal.

The author did an excellent job of explaining her very complex life in a way that young children can understand. He also kept it rated G. He des
Payton Hiscok
Apr 12, 2016 Payton Hiscok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frida Kahlo was born in Mexico in 1907 to a artist and photographer father and a mother with five other girls. Frida's father teaches her how to paint and draw, which becomes her only comfort and joy when she becomes bed ridden with polio. As Frida grows up she continues to develop her artistic style. However, one day she is involved in a serious car accident that forever takes away her mobility. Will Frida continue to paint regardless of her constant pain?
This illustrated biography of Frida Kah
Alice
Mar 04, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
I am going to start with the pictures....I detest them...I want to say hate...but I will stay with detest!

I guess I don't understand Mexican Folk Art.

The story of the personal struggle of an artist is great. The story was very interesting! But as a google some of Frida artwork...not a fan. This was be a good book for a Meet the Masters art workshop or to learn about different artist. I think it is good to be exposed to art, even art you don't like because for me, how do I know I don't like them.
Amanda
Frida Kahlo is one of my absolute favorite artists and women. She was revolutionary in her work as well as her activism and the way she lived her life. Obviously when I saw this beautiful book I was thrilled! This is the story of Frida that we know, covering many of the most important events of her life, but telling her story in a way that is appropriate for a young honest but is still honest and retains its integrity. The artwork by Ana Juan is absolutely beautiful, a little abstract, incorpora ...more
Nashiea Edmiston
This is a biographical account of the life of famous Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo. The illustrations are vibrant, almost magical. I really enjoyed this very basic description of Frida, from her childhood and what inspired her, to her accident as a young adult, and all the trials and tribulations the accident caused her yet her passion for her art kept her going and creating. I think this is an excellent choice when introducing young readers to Frida, I would recommend this book for early elementa ...more
Nida Iftekaruddin
Nov 19, 2012 Nida Iftekaruddin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grade/interest level: K-2
Reading level: 260L
Genre: Biography

Main Characters: Frida Kahlo, Father
Setting: Mexico
POV: Third Person

Summary:
Frida Kahlo grew up in Mexico with her mother, father, and five sisters. Her father taught her how to use a paintbrush, and the wonders of basic brush strokes. Her mother was tired after caring for five girls, so Frida spent her time painting. She was diagnosed with polio and was bedridden for nine months. During this time, Frida would paint to free herself from
Lauren Owens
Beautiful depiction of Frida Kahlo. This book illustrates Frida's life from infancy all the way up to her death. The story line is fascinatingly informative and the pictures are absolutely beautiful. Frida is a great book for encouraging others who are disadvantaged in some way but are trying their hardest to be all they can be. It is also a good book for art exploration and creativity lessons since Frida's style of art is so unique and the pages are filled with masterpieces. I read this book in ...more
Jazmin
Nov 20, 2013 Jazmin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frida by Jonah Winter and illustrated by Ana Juan is biographical picturebook about the life of Frida Kahlo. It is great for grades third and up, because they can grasp what the strange characters are, and why Frida painted them. This can also be another way that students can see Frida’s early life and learn facts about her that her paintings also reveal.
The cover alone shows Frida as a young child, identifiable by her pronounced uni-brow, peacefully riding a red bird as she finishes painting
Kira
Text: 4.5 Stars
Illustrations: 5 Stars

A short simple biography of Frida Kahlo's early life and how her accidents inspired her to paint.

I don't know much about Kahlo, but the author did a good job showing what an inspiration she was. The story was simple enough to understand who she was as a young girl and her influences.

The real standout is Juan's art. She uses symbolism to depict the difficulties in Frida's life, so the book isn't too graphic. In an artist's note, Juan explains how she uses char
Morgan
This book is a short biography of Frida Kahlo. It uses short sentences, imaginative language, and illustrations that mirror Frida's own painting to tell the story of her life and her painting. Color and tone are used to communicate emotions, and the ups and downs of her childhood, accident, and hospitalization intertwined with her painting are communicated with alternating vibrant and subdued illustrations.

This lends itself well to a cross-content lesson for arts and literacy, as well as a grea
Taylor Anderson
Frida is all about Spanish artist Frida Kahlo. The picture book describes how she learned to paint and how painting saved her life. This text uses the writing trait voice because it is used as an informative text. I would suggest using this book as a part of a text set on artists, or even use it as a read-aloud in an art class to introduce a style of artwork.

Book Level: 2.5
Jen
Jun 23, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book for the little person who wants to know more about Frida Kahlo without hearing disturbing details about all the horrible things she suffered through. The illustrations by Ana Juan really make the book worth it since there's so much to look at in rich, bold colors.
Tracy E.
Jun 08, 2016 Tracy E. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok. The best page is Frida illustrated inside the naturalistic cage of her body's pain. Frida's life otherwise is glossed over and made a bit rosy for a kids book. Her pain cage is the darkest imagery and the one I like the most, because it is the most true to her.
Ame
This book is BEAUTIFUL, and provides a great background on Frida Kahlo for the younger audience. It isn't the cheeriest read, and my kids weren't paying attention to me as I was reading it to them, but I recommend it highly.
Naomi
Apr 06, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the uniqueness of this book. Everything about this book popped. Everything. The illustrator masterfully includes the work of Frida Kahlo into the book. What an awesome way to teach kids about the lives/works of artists.
Emily Woods
Dec 14, 2015 Emily Woods rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edu-365
I appreciate this book for it's interesting artwork, I think it shows Frida's personality and imagination with the little characters throughout the book. I'm not sure if I would read this book aloud just because it wasn't one of my favorite to read but it would be a great book for the class. It just didn't catch my attention.
Marta Rodriguez
Oct 20, 2015 Marta Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing of this artist, and after reading this book, felt like I learned so much. Besides being an amazing read ( so easy for kids ), the artwork was incredible... Definitely recommend!!
Ashley Cain
This book talks about the struggles and successes of Frida Kahlo, a painter from Mexico. It could be used in the classroom to give an example how she thrived as a woman in the art world.
Erica Nicol
I'm rating this a bit higher than I otherwise might because it's one of the very, very few books (possibly the only book?) about Frida Kahlo available for very young children and because the artwork is so vibrant and compelling.

The text is serviceable, but the illustrations elevate the entire story. This is a book I had purchased when I was taking a children's literature class, and one my daughter pulled off my shelf. While I have some concerns about what she will make of Frida's story as she ge
  • Me, Frida