Start by marking “Wentworth Hall” as Want to Read:
Wentworth Hall

Wentworth Hall

2.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,164 Ratings  ·  275 Reviews
The prettiest people often have the ugliest secrets…

Eighteen-year-old Maggie Darlington has turned into an entirely different person. The once spirited teen is now passive and reserved. A change Lord and Lady Darlington can’t help but be grateful for.

It’s 1912, and the Darlingtons of Wentworth Hall have more than just the extensive grounds to maintain. As one of Britain’
Published May 1st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFeversScarlet by A.C. GaughenCode Name Verity by Elizabeth WeinClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
YA Historical Fiction 2012
24th out of 123 books — 799 voters
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo IshiguroThe House at Riverton by Kate MortonBrideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughA Room with a View by E.M. ForsterHowards End by E.M. Forster
Downton Abbey-esque Books
39th out of 507 books — 886 voters

More lists with this book...

Wigs
Jul 26, 2012 Wigs rated it it was ok

I wanted to like this. I really did. I love Downton Abbey and I was hoping that this might be guilty pleasure reading.

But halfway through, this really was me:

The characters are simply remixed versions of what you already see in Downton Abbey. Maggie is the Mary character. Michael is the Branson character. Lila is Sybil and Edith blended into one. The parents are the same. And while there's a new story layered over it, it has no depth and uses some of the elements the show already had. Just worse
Kate
Feb 19, 2013 Kate rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, 2012
This came very close to ending up on the abandoned shelf, and the only reason I pushed through was because I'd spent the money and it was the only thing on my phone to read in court this morning. This book was not written so much as it was manufactured. My problems with it were many.

1) Editing - Had I submitted this to an agent, it would have been rejected on sheer number of typos and tense changes alone. Not to mention the continuity errors, some of which occurred in the first five pages. The n
Boring. Dull. Snoozer. Yawn. Bland. Flatline. Blah. Drab. Soporific. Lackluster. Zzzzz.

All of the above applies to Wentworth Hall -- in fact, I'm having trouble summoning enough interest to write this review. That speaks volumes, yes? I nearly set it aside as a DNF, but then I looked at the clock & realized I'd only spent 1 hour reading & was 2/3rds finished, so I may as well continue scanning to see if anything happened. It didn't. Well, I suppose something did, since two people ended
Elle!
Dec 09, 2012 Elle! rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Historical Victorian Period, The Luxe
Recommended to Elle! by: Goodreads -_-
Don't judge a book by it's beautifully photographed cover....And definitely don't judge a book by the man on the cover... I know that now. -_-

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Just look at the guy, isn't he gorgeous?!!!! Enough drooling. To my review! I despised this book , it was so boring! But to be fair, I'll post a summary and try not to be bias if I can stay up that long to write one because this was like Ambien. But the cover...That delicious cover....*steam rises from the mans face*

First Sentence: Maggie Darlington rolled
Michelle
Aug 22, 2012 Michelle marked it as dnf
This is how I expected to react to Wentworth Hall.

This is how I feel:

I was sad to put this back on the shelf as I don't like giving up on books, but I was reading it during a busy time and just decided that I didn't want to force myself to finish a book that I wasn't loving.
The Lit Bitch
May 15, 2012 The Lit Bitch rated it really liked it
All secrets have a way of coming out in the end.

Every family has their own secrets that they would rather not become public knowledge...but when your family is rich….the gossip columns love nothing better than a juicy family secret.

At Wentworth Hall, while family fortune might be in short supply...juicy secrets are not.

This was a quick fun read! The alluring plot, period, setting, and characters work well together in this novel...and the newspaper satire added humor and pace to the novel. The au
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
I originally wasn't planning on reading this book because I assumed it would be like a turn-of-the-century version of "Gossip Girl." Or, you know, another one of those attempt-to-rewrite-history-by-modernizing-every-character books that authors like Anna Godberson are so fond of writing...

And you know, Wentworth Hall may be all those things, but after becoming completely OBSESSED with the awesomeness that is "Downton Abbey," I gotta at least give it a try!

So when I saw Wentworth Hall again, thi
Christina (Reading Extensively)

Wentworth Hall is very similar in tone to The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen. It is light historical fiction that features family drama, gossip, and romance. Wentworth Hall also taps into the popularity of the Downton Abbey craze with its early 20th Century setting and focus on the upstairs/downstairs relationship between the aristocracy and their servants. The story is told through the point of view of multiple characters including Maggie Darlington, her sister Lila, the maid Nora, new nanny The
Angelc
May 01, 2012 Angelc rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

Are you suffering from a serious case of Downton Abbey fever? Then "Wentworth Hall" is just what the doctor ordered! Its no question that this time period and setting is hot right now and there really aren't that many books that fit the bill. At first, I thought that the book was going to be a nice read, and a great way to revisit the Edwardian manor home era, but then the story really took off and secrets started spilling, and I was on the edge of my seat, I couldn't turn the pages fas
Erica
Apr 19, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it

What a fun read! Wentworth Hall by Abby Grahame was almost like a historical Gossip Girl. This book was just a darling to read, and I really enjoyed it. For fans of historical fiction, this is a must read. Even people who haven't given historical fiction a try before should read Wenthworth Hall, as I found it read very easily and almost read more along the lines of a contemporary with the secrets, betrayal, and gossip. And it was just so fun!

There wasn't a lot of depth to the plot, as i
Rebecca
Wentworth Hall is set in 1912 England at the estate of the Darlington family. The estate has been in the family for almost three hundred years. The Darlingtons were once very wealthy, but most of the money is gone now, and the world is changing. Eighteen-year-old Maggie Darlington has recently returned from a year away, and to everyone who knew her, she seems quite changed. Maggie's younger sister, sixteen-year-old Lila, misses her old relationship with her sister and wishes her parents would se ...more
Sonya ~*Starchild of Great Comets*~  (aka Nᴀᴛᴀʟʏᴀ Iʟʏɪɴɪᴄʜɴᴀ Sᴄʜᴜʏʟᴇʀ-hasn't read HP)
I'm surprised this book has such a low rating. I read some of the hater reviews but I did indeed enjoy it, probably because I know next to nothing of this period in time. A lot of people complained it was boring, but I actually liked the story most of the time despite underdeveloped characters, its being a rehash of the Luxe (but minus the society element and suggestive references) and not the best writing.
Nora glared at Grace for the implication. Grace loved to act like a know-it-all, which
Gerry
Sep 29, 2014 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wentworth Hall is a minor Downton Abbey (the current rave programme on British television), even the strap line on the front of the paperback edition of 'Wentworth Hall' states, 'And you thought there were secrets at the Abbey'. I imagine they mean Downton for there is no Abbey in the novel!

Above and below stairs there are strained relationships, unsettling rumours and petty jealousy between both servants and the people of the house. Maggie Darlington, Lila Darlington and later Wesley Darlington
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
The Darlington family, one of Britain's most wealthy families, has many secrets. Maggie, the eldest daughter, spent some time abroad and has since come home a different girl. She used to be spunky, lively and adventurous, but now she's barely recognizable to many people at Wentworth Hall. Her younger sister, Lila, often feels overlooked and is looking to gain some attention this year. To make matters more complicated, family friends, Teddy and Jessica, move to Wentworth Hall since the are newly ...more
Ely (Tea & Titles)
Originally posted at http://abooksofathomless.blogspot.com...

I have a sort of rule with myself that I will not take reviews from Goodreads to mind before and during a book because some of my absolute favourite books have received books terrible reviews that they completely do not deserve (see Atonement, Shatter Me etc.) Therefore before reading this book, I tried to keep an open mind despite the low average rating of 2.83 and pages upon pages of reviews with one star saying that they ‘could bare
Pamela Foster
Apr 23, 2012 Pamela Foster rated it liked it
This is a fun read for young adults who are looking for the same type of upstairs downstairs drama that Downtown Abbey provides. The book follows the coming of age stories of sisters Maggie and Lila Darlington at Wentworth Hall in 1912. We also get a taste of the below stairs lives of the young servants who grew up together in the house and played together with the Darlingtons as children.

The Edwardian period marks the peak of a thousand years of wealth through land, and as we see at Wentworth
Kim
May 16, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
If you enjoy Persuasion, Downton Abbey, or even Gossip Girl, you’re going to want to pay attention to this review. Abby Grahame’s debut novel, Wentworth Hall, is a combination of all of the above and more. Filled with themes and story lines that involve the mixing of social classes, lies, deceit, unrequited/lost loves, gossip and more, this book is jam packed from start to finish.

The Darlington family is one of the most powerful families in all of England in the beginning of the twentieth-centur
Samantha Trillium ☂
Apr 22, 2015 Samantha Trillium ☂ rated it it was ok
This was a really poorly executed book, which resulted in only two stars. That being said, I didn't hate the book entirely, but there were definitely a lot of things wrong with it.

First off, the dialogue is too modern. This novel takes place in the early 1900's and they are using slang terms we hear today? I don't think so.

Next, the story itself is really badly written. This author has no idea how to write mystery. If there was ever any point in the book that would suggest everything is not wh
Christiana
May 10, 2012 Christiana rated it it was ok
Why was this book so boring? And why was the plot so simplistic? Why was I am able to check my email while reading this? (view spoiler)Why did I keep reading it? And how do I get my life back?
Justin
May 17, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing
Historical Fiction is by far one of my favorite genres, especially within YA. That love for Historical Fiction has been reinforced by Wentworth Hall. The early 1900's is such a great time period, and Abby really did a beautiful job making everything about Wentworth Hall feel like it was actually part of that time period. And the fact that it takes place in Britain makes it even better.

The story is actually pretty simple, but I didn't feel like that was a negative thing. The heart of this book, i
Katie
Dec 09, 2015 Katie rated it did not like it
This is my second try at hoping to find a book similar to "Downton Abbey" (the first being Summerset Abbey by T.J. Brown). And while it doesn't have the same magic as the show, it's still a solid debut.

I'm a huge historical fiction fan. I especially love anything set around 1900, so I was really excited to get my hands on a copy of this book. There are definitely parts of it that have been done before, but I think it was fresh enough to feel different.

First, we're thrown into the classic predica
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide)
Initial Impressions 12/23/12: Very Gossip Girl-esque. It felt a lot like a soap opera.
I actually didn't feel very connected with the characters -- It seemed like a lot of them were very basic, cookie-cutter versions of an idea that really could have been developed much more. They need to grow a bit more, to be more well-rounded. I think it could have been a lot better if the author had spent more time developing certain plot points and twisting mysteries into the story instead of silly things -
Lily (WhoLockian)
May 20, 2012 Lily (WhoLockian) rated it really liked it
* Hardcover: 288 pages
* Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (May 1, 2012)
* ISBN-10: 1442451963
* Author: Abby Grahame
* Cover art: One of the best of the year.
* Overall rating: ****1/2 stars out of 5
* Obtained: My personal book shelf.

Wentworth Hall by Abby Grahame

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

The prettiest people often have the ugliest secrets…

Amy (Turn the Page)
I love period drama. I love the setting, the romance, the society, the scandals, the gossip, the class system, the history, the dresses...

Wentworth Hall promised to be the perfect escape for fans of Downton Abbey. What I got was a poorly written, badly edited, quickly thrown together book that was full of plot holes, historical inaccuracies and lacking in any originality or depth.

Maggie Darlington has returned home to Wentworth Hall after a year in Paris. No longer the friendly, outgoing, passio
Amanda
Jul 15, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-releases
Whoever thought that the semi-soap opera-like lives of a family of Edwardian period British nobles would be so darn addicting? No one could have predicted the somewhat strange public obsession with the British TV show Downton Abbey, and it didn't take long for publishers and others to pick up on that obsession and start pumping out similar works to ride the latest trend. I've seen almost half a dozen other similar-themed books on tap for the next few years -and Wentworth Hall was the first one.

I
Celine
Sep 22, 2012 Celine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Review originally posted in: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com.au/...

Cover:
Really reflects the book! I'm pretty sure the girls on the cover represent Maggie, Therese and Lila while the guy might be Michael! Either way, I like the historical feeling of the cover!

Story:

Meet scandal, your new best friend...

What's life without any scandals? Especially when you're the Darlingtons? Well, let me introduce you to the Darlingtons. We have Maggie, the oldest daughter and Lila, the younger sister. Might I
Erikka
Jul 18, 2012 Erikka rated it did not like it
Ok, now that I've stopped laughing: what the hell was this supposed to be? Please tell me it was intended to be a satire, or a cheesy comedy of some sort, because if it was intended to be serious historical fiction? Oh dear lord.

The issues:

The characters: I thought I was watching a soap opera, seriously. They are way melodramatic, about as interesting as cardboard cutouts, and I was honestly more interested in their clothing than in them.

The weird "Sussex Courier" bits: What the heck were thos
Oksana  *Bookaholic*
Dec 21, 2012 Oksana *Bookaholic* rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction ppl, REAL SCANDAL LOVAS!!

Spoilers, here.... :D

I was really confused as to what rating to give this book. I finally settled on a 3. (Goodreads, thank God you haven't made half stars, or I'd be up all night trying to figure THIS one out.)

Me no gusta:

The romance parts between Michael and Maggie, (except for the end when they're together with James<3, AND when he sends her that cute love letter in the end when he realizes that James is his son), were totally lame. For instance, anytime Michael and Maggie are alone, all
Ruby Slippers ✨
Jul 03, 2012 Ruby Slippers ✨ rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
This book is shallow. Shallow on all fronts. The writing, the characters, the plot, the setting, the dialogue, the emotions, everything about this is shallow. The setting is purely aesthetic, it's obvious that whoever wrote this (whoever S&S hired to write this, that is) didn't do their research. The characters are cardboard, just words on a page, they don't feel like real people. The dialogue is not engaging and weirdly modern. The plot had potential to be completely soap-opera dramatic but ...more
Sassy
Dec 09, 2014 Sassy rated it did not like it
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 01:28PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:35PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 1 Jul 07, 2014 05:12PM
The Young Adult H...: Wentworth Hall, by Abby Grahame - March's Read 3 11 Mar 22, 2014 09:21PM
Wentworth Hall & Downton Abbey 1 7 Dec 13, 2013 06:24AM
  • Ladies in Waiting
  • The Académie
  • Debutantes (Debutantes, #1)
  • Violins of Autumn
  • Diva (Flappers, #3)
  • Cinders & Sapphires (At Somerton, #1)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • Sisters of Glass
  • Secret Letters
  • Gilt
  • Velvet
  • Victoria Rebels
  • Spy for the Queen of Scots
  • The Girl in the Mask
  • Faithful (Faithful, #1)
  • Preloved