Start by marking “Thomas' ABC Book (Thomas & Friends)” as Want to Read:
Thomas' ABC Book (Thomas & Friends)

Thomas' ABC Book (Thomas & Friends)

Based on The Railway Series by the REV. W. AWDRY
A is for All Aboard! Filled with fun photographs from the popular TV show, Shining Time Station, Thomas's ABC Book will delight children while teaching them the alphabet along the way.
Published July 21st 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 12th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas' ABC Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas' ABC Book

Jody
Feb 18, 2017 Jody rated it liked it
To be fair, I am not well acquainted with Thomas & Friends, but for the interview with the 3 year old I chose this in hopes it was something with which he may be familiar. I chose a Thomas ABC book, a color book, and a triangle book. It will be interesting to see which book the kiddo chooses first (if any at all).
Bonnie Jean
Jun 29, 2016 Bonnie Jean rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-picks
This was a book about Thomas and his friends, and it was an ABC book. Unlike other reviewers, I don't mind "cheating" and using the word eXpress (that's actually a plus- hooray! It's an ABC book that doesn't use either xylophone or x-ray for the letter X!). That's about it for the positives, though. The minus: While my kids do like Thomas, they're really only very casual fans and haven't really watched all that much of the show. Unfortunately, this book isn't for casual fans. Quite a few of the ...more
Skylar Burris
Feb 19, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I loathe the Thomas books. They bore me in a way I have not been bored since attempting to read the Wealth of Nations. Their dryness, their bland technicalities, the entire method of narration...it all makes me want to bury them in the bottom of the trash. And yet…my 20 month old son will sit in rapt attention on my lap, page by page, as I read them. He will sit still. He will listen. He will look and point. And then he will demand that I read it again the moment I am done. I liked this ABC book ...more
Faith Barron
Feb 17, 2013 Faith Barron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3601-ell-s
Thomas' ABC Book, is a wonderful book for ELL students in Pre-K and Kindergarten. This book introduces all the letters of the alphabet along with a sentence that really emphasizes that letter. Since Thomas is a well known character for younger children this is the perfect book because the children are able to connect Thomas the train and all his friends with the letters of the alphabet. Using this book with ELL's is just a great way to show that learning letters that can be difficult, can also b ...more
Brittany Harper
This book is great for fans of Thomas the Train because it is filled with fun pictures from the television show, Shining Time Station. This book is simple enough for young readers while making sure to teach them the alphabet in a clear and concise way. It is definitely a book that I would read to a pre-k class or kindergarten class. It manages to be colorful and engaging but at the same time does not overwhelm the reader with too many details on each page. This book would definitely help student ...more
Robert Beveridge
No author listed, Thomas' ABC Book (Random House, 1998)

Points off: No author listed.

Very heavily integrated into the Thomas the Tank Engine/Shining Time Station universe, which should surprise exactly no one, but that does carry with it the caveat that this is not necessarily a book for casual fans of the series, but more for the obsessed (like my son). There are a few times when things seem as if they were stretched a bit to fit (and they totally cheat on X), but otherwise worth a go as long as
Ashlee
Oct 16, 2015 Ashlee added it
Shelves: abc-books
Thomas' ABC Book, is an ABC children's book by Wilbert Awdry. Thomas' ABC Book is about Thomas the Train Tank Engine and his friends going on an adventure. This book is full of pictures to help the children learn their ABC's. Each sentence begins with a letter of the alphabet, starting with the letter A. This book engages the students and it talks about Thomas and his friends. This is a great book to use in my classroom because it describes each letter of the alphabet with a sentence and a pictu ...more
jacky
Nov 02, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Thomas lovers
Shelves: picture-books, abc123
I read most of this to Natalie at play group. We watch Thomas sometimes, but not enough for her to recognize the characters like she does Sesame Street. This would be a very exciting book for a Thomas lover or a lover of trains and vehicles in general, but since Natalie isn't into any of that (yet?) it was just alright. I liked that it was the old Thomas, not the new computer animated one.
Tiara Patterson
This book I did not car for too much. It was pretty plain and kind of boring. They gave an example for each letter and used it in a sentence, but for some examples I think it would be difficult for young readers to understand if they did not know the characters or some parts of the train. It was difficult to keep my interest in this book.
Helen Cox
Oct 06, 2015 Helen Cox added it
Shelves: abc-books
This is an alphabet book featuring Thomas and HIs Friends. Each letter features either one of thomas' friends or an object on the railroad. Add letter stickers to trains for playful way to learn letters and word formation! There are ways to play for kiddos who are just learning their ABC’s to those starting to read words.
Natalie Pietro
I would give this book 3 stars but my 3 year old fought me and said 4 mommy. He would ask for this book a lot and loved saying the letters with me. However I found it old fashion and slow. Still if my son liked it so it can't be all that bad.
Armanda Campbell
Feb 18, 2013 Armanda Campbell added it
Shelves: abcs
As a child I loved Thomas the train, so this is a great book for younger children to learn their alphabets as well as words that begin with the letters. This is a television show that many children watch, so I'm sure that they would love to read a book with one of their favorite characters in it.
Dmills
Apr 25, 2016 Dmills added it
Shelves: a-b-c
Thomas the Tank Engine is another really great show that I watched a lot as a child so after reading the book there would probably be a few cool clips or a full show we could watch dealing with the alphabet.
Rosa Cline
May 15, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a very special way of helping teach the ABC's to a youngster. My 2 year old granddaughter and I loved it! Each page starts with the letter and they say an extra sentence that corresponds with Thomas and his friends. love it!
Michelle
Feb 27, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: london-s-library
Basic picture book which gives an example of Thomas and Friends for each letter of the alphabet.
The worst example is X for eXpress..wow..that's just..no!!

My daughter likes the trains so she sits through the entire read for bed time.
Taylor Jarrell
Oct 07, 2015 Taylor Jarrell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abc-books
I liked this book. I did not love it. I felt that it was semi-boring and they could have made the pictures more bright and vibrant since the book is a very early reader.
Sharon
Jul 05, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok
We don't have the ABC, but we have a counting book. Much less objectionable than the longer stories.
Aspasia
Jun 24, 2010 Aspasia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-aidan
My son recently discovered Thomas the Tank Engine and he was obsessed with this book.
Catherine
Feb 15, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Its an OK alphabet book. I was not a fan of how the book is formatted. I don't like how their is writing above and below the picture.
Anne
Jan 04, 2013 Anne added it
Shelves: bobby-s-picks
We reread this one all the time...a favorite
Danny
May 01, 2011 Danny rated it it was ok
Thirteen Educate
Oct 04, 2013 Thirteen Educate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thomas-friends
Great book that teaches children the letters of the alphabet by relating each letter to a Thomas & Friends character, providing new information within a familiar context. Simple and effective!
Datoria
Oct 22, 2010 Datoria rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabets
Good book for pre-k or kindergarten. Just for fun and letter recognition.
ABC
Feb 26, 2008 ABC rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: toddlers/preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
Book was fine until we got to the letter "M": It stands for "Men" as in "The men who drive the engine stand inside the cab." Geesh! Can't they find a better word for "M"?
May
May rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2009
P.K.Eason
P.K.Eason rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Shannon Fish
Shannon Fish rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Pauline
Pauline rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2010
Maria D Wolf
Maria D Wolf rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Alphabatics
  • B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC
  • My "a" book (My first steps to reading)
  • The Butterfly Alphabet
  • A You're Adorable
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Smash! Crash!
  • My Truck is Stuck!
  • Smash Trash! (Disney/Pixar: WALL-E: Step into Reading Step 1)
  • The Night Before Preschool
  • Miles and Miles of Reptiles: All About Reptiles
  • I'm a Big Brother
  • A Call for a New Alphabet
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Won't-Take-a-Bath Cure (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #6)
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
Wilbert Vere Awdry, OBE, better known as the Rev. W. Awdry, was an English clergyman, railway enthusiast and children's author, and creator of Thomas the Tank Engine, who starred in Awdry's acclaimed Railway Series.

The characters that would make Awdry famous, and the first stories featuring them, were invented in 1943 to amuse his son Christopher during a bout of measles. The first book (The Three
More about Wilbert Awdry...