Start by marking “Shark & The Wolf: Predators and Prey” as Want to Read:
Shark & The Wolf: Predators and Prey

Shark & The Wolf: Predators and Prey

"Hybrid Animals and Humans Collide...Could very well be a sequel to The Island of Doctor Moreau."

Pack your bags for the wild side and hang on tight. Escape into an exotic untamed world in this sci-fi adventure that has been called a cross between Gladiator, Planet of the Apes and The Hunger Games.

In Las Vegas, Shaw, billionaire casino magnate and self proclaimed world's
Published June 8th 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Shark & The Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark & The Wolf

Donna Brown
Dec 15, 2011 Donna Brown rated it really liked it
It’s difficult to know how to describe Shark and the Wolf: Predators and Prey… Perhaps as a cross between Aesop’s Fables and John Grisham? An intriguing mix of The Sopranos meets Jeff Corwin? Or The Godfather meets The Jungle Book?

Once you read the book, you’ll understand my quandry. This is a clever mix of mystery, thriller and humour but cleverly thrown into the mix are both animals and those with animalistic characteristics.

Daniel Shields addresses issues such as animal capture and entrapment
Ellie
Feb 17, 2012 Ellie rated it really liked it
To me this is a bit like a modern brothers Grimm.

The characters in this book are believable (I don't know how Shields has made walking, talking animals turn into real characters, but he has) and well thought out. A pool shark as a hero, who IS a shark, a Wolf bodyguard, and a foxy vixen who makes me think of Kat Von D.

Not usually the type of book I read, my imagination is a limited, yet this book pulled me into the story after a few chapters, and the further I got into the book the more I loved
Richard Bunning
Nov 25, 2011 Richard Bunning rated it really liked it
This review is from Bookpleasures.com
Daniel Shields has created a masterful thriller, which is not just a great vehicle for reminding us all that we are the worst predatory species on planet Earth, but also the species that threatens the existence of all others. But don’t think for a second that there is any preaching here, there isn’t. This is just a great adventure in which the human cast comes off second best to most of this book’s sentient animals.
The words flow easily, in a style that paint
Kristal Cooper
Jun 27, 2012 Kristal Cooper rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
This book is a case study on the hazards of self-publishing. The idea is very creative but the execution is... disastrous. Typos on the dust jacket, repetition of lines just paragraphs later, "massive" over-use of adverbs and adjectives, characters constantly addressing each other by proper name -- all minor annoyances that would have been fixed by a fairly competent editor. In one six-page scene about a bull elephant, the word "large" and its synonyms are used 32 times! Please, just tell us ...more
Fran
Nov 17, 2011 Fran rated it it was amazing
Shark and the Wolf
Predators and Prey
Author: Daniel D. Shields
Reviewed by Fran Lewis

Creating a unique world inhabited by humans and animals possessing the same attributes both good and bad author Daniel D. Shields takes the reader on a journey into the mind of one man whose goal it is to enslave, capture, torture and orchestrate a spectacle so horrifying the viewer will shudder. Welcome to the world of slave trading and trafficking.

Our story begins in the Serengeti Plains in Tanzania, East Afric
Jaideep Khanduja
Dec 06, 2012 Jaideep Khanduja rated it it was amazing

Book Review: Shark & The Wolf By Daniel Shields: A Sheer Engrosser

Man seems to be most dangerous animal among all living beings on this earth. Among animals - none attack without any reason. Man is bound to attack without a reason - for his own ego satisfaction or for some other stupid reasons. Shark & The Wolf - Predators and Prey By Daniel D. Shield is an excellent, engrossing, flawless and purely a no-nonsense read. It will create various moods
Rebecca
Apr 27, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I find this book a wee bit difficult to categorise and decide whether I liked it or not. It is well written, though it suffers from the same problem as many books where almost the entire plot is on the back cover. I always feel like I am shortchanged from books that do that, as you spend 75% of the book getting what amounts to two paragraphs expanded into 100 pages or so. Frustrating as it takes away any plot twists that the author has written.

So why am I still unsure about this book? The story
Tamikasipke
Jun 05, 2012 Tamikasipke rated it really liked it
Shark & The Wolf is a modern tale for adults. I am not talking about a cute fairy tale here because the book doesn't save the reader from brutal scenes, bloodthirsty schemes or heartbreaking chapters.

The book paints a real picture about the cruel men's world - about us actually - through personification of the animals. In this world the animals have evolved to a degree where they can speak, they can live among people, some of them have lost some of their features (arms and legs instead of fi
Roubeena Jeetah
Sep 16, 2012 Roubeena Jeetah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: giveaway, first-reads
First of all, I have to say a few words for the author. I won this book as a giveaway and Daniel D. Shields mailed it to me. I was pleasantly surprised to find that he had not only signed it, but he also had included a personal letter and two reviews of the book in the package. Kudos!

My usual genres: YA romantic books, YA books dealing heartbreaking stuff like bullying/suicide/etc, YA dystopian books, YA books dealing with reincarnation/treasure hunts/sisterhood/friendship, etc.. You get my poin
Jo
Mar 22, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it
I won this book through the Goodreads giveaways and although it is a little different from what I normally read, I really did find myself enjoying it.

I will admit at first I was a little confused at how to picture these human animals in my head, but after a while it doesn't really matter cause the story is that good!

It has everything you could ask for in a story, action, suspense, romance and more! It is not a very long book but that's okay cause Daniel quickly makes you develop a fondness for h
Mike Walker
Jan 08, 2016 Mike Walker rated it really liked it
The Shark & The Wolf is a quick and easy read with a unique story line. It reminds me of a Pixar type of story where animals have human characteristics like walking and talking. Sure the book needs to be edited, but the story is fun and enjoyable to follow. In my opinion, the book is for a certain niche audience. I think it caters specifically to the male population as it follows a billiards pool shark that is actually a great white shark, who coincidentally doesn't like water but drinks ...more
Ubiquitousbastard
Sep 23, 2013 Ubiquitousbastard rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I really am not too keen on anthromorphs, it's a little too much like furries for me. The dialogue was sometimes very stilted or repetitive, as were parts of the narration. The premise is rather ambitious, but I don't think it ever reached it's possibilities. It seems as though the author is very comfortable with this world, but didn't realize that readers would need a bit more of an introduction. It was very difficult for me to get a clear picture in my head of what was being described. To be ...more
Che'rei Holley
Apr 22, 2012 Che'rei Holley rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, free
Shark & The Wolf: Predators and Prey by Daniel D. Shields was confusing at first. I'm reading about people, no animals, wait neither. The characters slowly come to full view and this fantasy world becomes so real that I expect to walk into the characters on the street someday. The adventures they encounter will keep you to your reading all the way to the end. I recommend this book to older teens, young adults, and adventure readers. I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Diana Dimovska
Jul 25, 2013 Diana Dimovska rated it liked it
***First read***
First of all, big thanks to the author for sending this book to me and for his kind words.
I must say this was something different, I've never read something alike. Adventure, fable, sci-fi, all in one package. Interesting read.
I've won this book through Goodreads first reads. Thanks to you too, Goodreads! :)
Rodney Rodriguez
Apr 05, 2012 Rodney Rodriguez marked it as to-read
I received a free copy through the goodreads first reads program!
Melissa Levine
Nov 11, 2016 Melissa Levine rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reader
After winning this book through the Goodreads giveaway, I found it to be an okay read. There were several questions that I ended up with at the end:

1. I didn't like that the author never bothered to explain how only certain animals seemed to have 'evolved'. And whereas some seemed more human-like than others. What about the giant beetles? Were they the only giant insects? And how did they come about?

2. How were humans getting killed in front of other humans not a problem? How was this able to ha
Susan
Feb 04, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults and Teens
Shelves: finished
Shark and the Wolf: Predators and Prey is a well written novel with intriguing characters which include a pool playing shark in love with a Vixin, his best friend Dog Z Boy, the Wolf and so much more. The characters and locations are nicely done, to where you feel like you are actually there while you are reading. While humor is well intergraded into the horror of what is done to animals and humans alike in this cleveraly written novel, one must not miss the lesson within.

Daniel Shields intertwi
Michele
May 16, 2012 Michele rated it liked it
I won this book on Goodreads. Animals are now like people due to Evolution. The main character is a pool-playing, Great White Shark. He has arms & legs but retains the Shark head and teeth. He can breath both air and water. He is pitted against a fedora-wearing hyena who helps capture other animals as breeding stock for death battles to entertain humans. Once again, humans show they are the most deadly predator because they kill for fun and entertainment. A sad commentary back not far off ...more
Tasha
Dec 01, 2012 Tasha rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book free from Goodreads' first reads.

This is an odd book. The main character is a hard drinking pool shark, that is an actual shark who plays pool. I love the idea for this book, and I love the message that underlies the story, but it is not very well done. I still enjoyed the read, but felt a few rewrites could have improved it. Especially the way the characters interact and speak to each other.

Also, I am a huge fan of bugs and so would've liked to see Woodsy in it more, but th
Peacegal
Dec 21, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
This isn't the most professional book (typos litter the pages and there is actually a character named "Dog Z Boy"), but you can't argue that it's one very original concept. Throughout the story I kept imagining Shark and the Wolf as a CGI animated feature scored by Jimmy Buffett. Unfortunately, that will never happen; it's way too violent to fly in the "family friendly" market. Maybe the team who animated the excellent Cat Shit One DVD should look into it.
Maristela Rezende
Mar 08, 2013 Maristela Rezende rated it it was amazing
This book was a pleasant surprise. In a mixture of suspense and mystery, this thriller was written and deftly brings us into the story and participate. I liked the novel, where the author mix where several animals that talk among themselves and with humans. The only disagreeable thing, is just the man who wants to enslave, kill and hate it and in my humble opinion, is the worst of all animals.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
Angel **Book Junkie**
This was not a favorite book for me but it was not horrible and I was quite interested from the beginning.

The elephant story broke my heart I have to say that from that point in the book I was glued. It is not normal to read a book where that animals and humans are living the same world as equals and Daniel Shields did a very good job making sure that we were able to see the worlds collide and the entire book was interesting. A true 3 star read for me!
Hira
Jun 26, 2012 Hira rated it really liked it
The best thing about this book is that it was the first book that i won through Goodreads.So i was quite happy and excited as well.when i started reading, it proved to be really enjoyable.the way animal characters have been portrated is awesome and I found myself really indulged in it. Great creativity!
Terry
Sep 04, 2012 Terry rated it liked it
Book was ok. Wothy of a quick read. Definetely a blend of Jurassic park, Hunger Games and Indiana Jones as a reviewer suggested
May 09, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads-wins
I won this book free from goodreads.
I am not really sure on how to reveiw this book. If your a sci-fi person and thats your thing then this would be a good book for you.
Agnieszka
Apr 18, 2013 Agnieszka rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. It's easy to read, and quite funny.
Patty
Jul 27, 2012 Patty rated it it was amazing
love the cover sounds great
J.T.
Shark & the Wolf takes place in an alternate universe where humans and animals have evolved side by side. The story focuses on Shark, a pool-playing Great White and his quest to rescue his girlfriend, Vixen (a fox). The story antagonists are Mr. Shaw, a human big game hunter, showman and billionaire who is in pursuit of his biggest money making project yet: a mega Vegas show that will pit animal against animal in an ultimate death match called "Predators and Prey." He has other motives as ...more
Mandy Whilden
Sep 03, 2015 Mandy Whilden rated it liked it
I was provided a free copy of this book from Goodreads Firstreads for an honest review. Thank you to Goodreads, the author, and the publisher.
This is a very unique book with an interesting premise. My favorite aspect of this story was the author's skill at utilizing imagery. His discriptions create a clear picture of exactly what is going on and make the story easy to visualize. My biggest problem with this book was that it was too short. I feel like the author could have done so much more with
Angie
Nov 29, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
the book cant be described as anything but odd. when i was sent the copy as a goodreads first read i was anticipating sonething completely different. i was not expecting the pool hustling airbreathing walking on two legs Shark who is our great white hero. in order to enjoy this book you have to have an incredibly open .mind and just not ask questions. the flash backs are brief and sporatically placed. the commentary is minimal. the scenes change rapidly with the quick pace. different is the best ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Tag (The Zumar Chronicles, #1)
  • The United States of Air: a Satire
  • Xor: The Shape of Darkness
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • New Beginnings
  • Boundless Sea (Sacred Breath, #3)
  • Velvet Rain
  • Wolf Hunt: The Burning Ages
  • What Women Think About
  • The Seventh Seal
  • A Requiem For Dead Flies
  • Shakespeare vs. Lovecraft: A Horror Comedy Mash-Up featuring Shakespeare's Characters and Lovecraft's Creatures
  • Butterfly Potion
  • Gingerbread Aliens
  • The Living Image
  • Soul on Fire
  • Universal Guardians: The Royal Descendant
  • Poisonous
Daniel D. Shields was born and raised in Ridgefield Park, New Jersey. Now residing in the beautiful high desert of the American Southwest, he enjoys travel, adventure, and spending time with his Yorkshire terrier named Charlie.

DanShieldsAuthor@gmail.com
More about Daniel D. Shields...