Start by marking “Skinny Bitch: Home, Beauty & Style: A No-Nonsense Guide to Cutting the Crap Out of Your Life for a Better Body and a Kinder World” as Want to Read:

Kim Barnouin has already told her fans how to ?stop eating crap and start looking fabulous.OCO But thereOCOs more to being a Skinny Bitch than eating well. Turns out, thereOCOs crap everywhere?not just in food, but in cosmetics, clothing, and home furnishings.Kim blows the lid on all of the nasties in our everyday stuff (everything from lipstick to sofa upholstery), and sh ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Running Press Book Publishers (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Skinny Bitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Bitch

Lexi
Dec 27, 2015 Lexi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I agree with pretty much everything this book has to say, but I can't stand this writing style! It's completely intolerable, with referring to the reader as "honey" several times a page and acting as though she's shattering someone's world view with every sentence. I would love this book without the horrific attempt at an edgy writing style that ends up sounding like she's talking down on the reader.
Erin Garrett
Feb 03, 2013 Erin Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me stop and say "what the f*** have I been exposed to or using in my house!!" I have this book marked/highlighted. Literally went through my house and purged as much as I could! No more cleaning with toxic chemicals!!

Tammy
May 09, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
This is one of those books that reminds you how you're living a life surrounded by chemicals and points out alternatives. One of the things I didn't like is that this book didn't seem to be particularly well edited -- felt like there was a lot of repetition and I'm not sure if it's laid out in the best possible way. Also, despite that it's only a few years old, it's already outdated in terms of the resources that it provides (lots of no-longer existent websites, including her own).

With that said
Cherry
You know from the first two words on the cover that the writing will include swearing and be 'edgy'. It's better than dry, I suppose. Even if a third of what she writes is true, or could be, common sense would have us err on the side of caution and eliminate some or most of these chemicals from our lives. How hard is it to put some vinegar in a bottle to clean? It's not, because even I do it. It's taken me a long time to properly get over the thought that it can't possibly actually work. In fact ...more
Susan
Feb 22, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I definitely love Kim's passion regarding what she cares about....her and her family's health and sharing information with what she researches. Has somewhat of a "salty talk" but I also love that about her; perfectly herself. She not only shocks me with the information she shares, but also makes me laugh at times. Right now I'm going through products I use. Some of the household cleaning information I knew about and have replaced. I especially liked "Kim's picks"; as well as her "Shit List(s)". ...more
KJ
Sep 29, 2012 KJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest with you this is exactly what I was looking for. Basically something to tell me what to buy and what not to buy. I don't have time to dick around and look at various ingredients or research the sources of products so to have someone give me a short cut for buying the kind of products I want is exactly what I was hoping for in this book. I feel badly for the author as she had a lot of very scientifically dense terminology and information to get across and she tried very hard to make ...more
Dec 03, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, can't wait to have my own house and use the tips she's given.
Jessica
Jan 26, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good overview of topics I had heard about before. Because I had heard about everything before I wasn't prompted to make any changes in my life aside from the ones I had already made. You have to pick and choose what works for you- it's not possible (for me) to live in a bubble all the time.

If you had not heard about things such as harmful chemicals in your cleaning products, beauty products, and clothes, I imagine that you would find this book very overwhelming and scary. You can
Amber
Jun 13, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, but at the same time - YIKES! It's hard when you have so much knowledge and sometimes feel hopelessly overwhelmed about it. We are taking baby steps to clean our home out, which is why it took me so long to read this book. I appreciate all the tips for making an easier transition to a clean, non-toxic, vegan household. There's a lot of toxins out there, some I wasn't even aware of or wouldn't have ever thought about. This book will definitely be referenced often in ou ...more
Chelsea
This book is a must read for anyone who cares about, well, anything. Even if we can't all be 100% vegan 100% of the time, there are very simple ways you can make changes to your lifestyle to create a happier, healthier home environment. Many would argue this way of life is really expensive, but I disagree. Get a gallon of distilled white vinegar, a huge bag of baking soda, and a couple of organic essential oils and you've got the power of clean for months and months! Take baby steps, don't try t ...more
Carla
May 06, 2015 Carla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The information was good although some of it is a bit outdated by now. However, I cannot get past the overwhelmingly condescending tone of this book. I think she was going for casual but missed the mark entirely. Admittedly I didn't finish it. There wasn't much here I didn't already know and I didn't want to read one more sentence where the reader is addressed as "toots", "honey", "woman" etc. Also, I think this author seems to believe that everyone has an unlimited budget. There are far better ...more
Cindy
Sep 29, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I love the Skinny Bitch series and Kim Barnouin's fiction series. At first I found the trashy talk annoying, but then realized it probably helped to vault the books in the bestseller lists. This book is a great overview of ways you can clean out the toxins from your home and body. I originally borrowed this book from my library and then kept borrowing it until I finally purchased it. A great resource.
Kate
Jan 16, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book! It gives a good reminder of exactly how many chemicals we are surrounded by every day and ways to avoid them. I loved it halfway through the book she does mention how overwhelming this is and reminds us not to sweat it too much and just make changes where we can starting small our food and just not taking a receipt! I thought the book was very informative yet down to earth.
Astrid
Dec 12, 2011 Astrid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was filled with practical advice as well as important consumer information. The photos were beautiful as well. My favorite part was the section on how to make your own household cleaners using basic ingredients such as baking soda and white vinegar, along with essential oils. However, as much as I love the earth and being green, much of this book's advice and guidance isn't necessarily for the budget-conscious.
Chelsea
Jan 31, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved how detailed and well researched this book was! The only problem (and why I left off one star) was that at least 5 times there were big chunks of text missing. Not just a word here and there or a misspelling, but whole paragraphs. The end of one chapter discusses a favorite product list to refer to, and the list isn't even there.
Kristie (fabk)
This book was really interesting. I like that the author did not hold back on her personal opinions and gave it like it is. There is a lot in this book that I won't be doing, however I did get some great information on other things and will be keeping a closer eye on ingredients in products I am using.
Gina
Sep 02, 2013 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that I skipped the irrelevant material. I do not need to know about cribs, etc.

While much of this material can be found online, I appreciate having a reference book within easy reach. And I always appreciate a little snark in my reference books.
Ulrich
Jul 21, 2015 Ulrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, clear enough for an absolute novice, yet in-depth enough to bring something new to light for even a very experienced practitioner of green living or ethical veganism.

Detailed is the word, yet Kim Barnouin never loses her conversational tone.
Desiree
Ummm who can really live this strictly? OMG! Well, there is of course doable things in this book. And after understanding that exotoxins fill the air we breathe, eat and drink. It does seem like a good idea to create a toxin free home environment.
Zianna
May 26, 2012 Zianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a real eye opener and it also has changed my life and view of things around me
Beth
Good information but I did not appreciate the writing style. Lots of swearing and rather juvenile sounding. Reads more like a blog than a book.
Virma
Oct 18, 2014 Virma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good info but a little preachy.
Trish
Nov 17, 2011 Trish rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2011
This book was not for me. It is about living all natural. AND AS GOOD AS THAT SOUNDS IT IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME.
Andrea
Even more things to avoid... Great! I've actually heard a good chunk of this info before, but it was a nice review. And I say nice lightly. Because there's lots of not nice things to learn in here.
Jama
she has something to say, crass mouth, yep clean up those toxins & waste woman..
Brenda
Jan 10, 2013 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an Ok book, It talks about of the ingredients that you have to avoid because they are bad for you health. Also, give you natural ingredient to use so you can live a natural and health life.
Mary
Jan 18, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There really isn't anything in here that I haven't seen before. Plus she doesn't offer a ton of solutions or alternatives, which is really what I need.
Gail
Jan 19, 2017 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has a lot of information that you already know, but don't do. I have some of her other books that am going to be reading. Reading all types of book is a must for me.
Terri Klemetson
Apr 23, 2012 Terri Klemetson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, very informative, delivered with a sassy-ness that grabs your attention.
Nicole
Jul 02, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! So informative and I love her sense of humour
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge (New Edition): The Ultimate Guide to Eating Healthfully and Living Compassionately
  • Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: A Gutsy Guide to Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother!
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Practically RAW: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Main Street Vegan: Everything You Need to Know to Eat Healthfully and Live Compassionately in the Real World
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Blissful Bites: Vegan Meals That Nourish Mind, Body, and Planet
  • Big Vegan
Before she was a Skinny Bitch, Kim Barnouin was a high school drop-out turned model who only crossed paths with a vegetable on her pizza. Today she is the co-author of The New York Times Bestseller Skinny Bitch with its sequels Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven, Skinny Bitch: Just Bitchin and a line of fitness DVDs.

Born in Rhode Island and raised in Maryland, Kim felt she wa
More about Kim Barnouin...