Start by marking “Skinny Bitch: Home, Beauty & Style: A No-Nonsense Guide to Cutting the Crap Out of Your Life for a Better Body and a Kinder World” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Kim Barnouin has already told her fans how to ?stop eating crap and start looking fabulous.OCO But thereOCOs more to being a Skinny Bitch than eating well. Turns out, thereOCOs crap everywhere?not just in food, but in cosmetics, clothing, and home furnishings.Kim blows the lid on all of the nasties in our everyday stuff (everything from lipstick to sofa upholstery), and sh ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Running Press Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Skinny Bitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Bitch

I definitely love Kim's passion regarding what she cares about....her and her family's health and sharing information with what she researches. Has somewhat of a "salty talk" but I also love that about her; perfectly herself. She not only shocks me with the information she shares, but also makes me laugh at times. Right now I'm going through products I use. Some of the household cleaning information I knew about and have replaced. I especially liked "Kim's picks"; as well as her "Shit List(s)". ...more
Erin Garrett
This book made me stop and say "what the f*** have I been exposed to or using in my house!!" I have this book marked/highlighted. Literally went through my house and purged as much as I could! No more cleaning with toxic chemicals!!

Loved it, can't wait to have my own house and use the tips she's given.
This is one of those books that reminds you how you're living a life surrounded by chemicals and points out alternatives. One of the things I didn't like is that this book didn't seem to be particularly well edited -- felt like there was a lot of repetition and I'm not sure if it's laid out in the best possible way. Also, despite that it's only a few years old, it's already outdated in terms of the resources that it provides (lots of no-longer existent websites, including her own).

With that said
To be honest with you this is exactly what I was looking for. Basically something to tell me what to buy and what not to buy. I don't have time to dick around and look at various ingredients or research the sources of products so to have someone give me a short cut for buying the kind of products I want is exactly what I was hoping for in this book. I feel badly for the author as she had a lot of very scientifically dense terminology and information to get across and she tried very hard to make ...more
Excellent, clear enough for an absolute novice, yet in-depth enough to bring something new to light for even a very experienced practitioner of green living or ethical veganism.

Detailed is the word, yet Kim Barnouin never loses her conversational tone.
I really enjoyed this book, but at the same time - YIKES! It's hard when you have so much knowledge and sometimes feel hopelessly overwhelmed about it. We are taking baby steps to clean our home out, which is why it took me so long to read this book. I appreciate all the tips for making an easier transition to a clean, non-toxic, vegan household. There's a lot of toxins out there, some I wasn't even aware of or wouldn't have ever thought about. This book will definitely be referenced often in ou ...more
This book is a must read for anyone who cares about, well, anything. Even if we can't all be 100% vegan 100% of the time, there are very simple ways you can make changes to your lifestyle to create a happier, healthier home environment. Many would argue this way of life is really expensive, but I disagree. Get a gallon of distilled white vinegar, a huge bag of baking soda, and a couple of organic essential oils and you've got the power of clean for months and months! Take baby steps, don't try t ...more
Good info but a little preachy.
Great content! Sometimes overwhelming. This book would be ideal if you could purchase and keep as a reference book in your house.
Good information but I did not appreciate the writing style. Lots of swearing and rather juvenile sounding. Reads more like a blog than a book.
This book was filled with practical advice as well as important consumer information. The photos were beautiful as well. My favorite part was the section on how to make your own household cleaners using basic ingredients such as baking soda and white vinegar, along with essential oils. However, as much as I love the earth and being green, much of this book's advice and guidance isn't necessarily for the budget-conscious.
I really enjoyed reading this book! It gives a good reminder of exactly how many chemicals we are surrounded by every day and ways to avoid them. I loved it halfway through the book she does mention how overwhelming this is and reminds us not to sweat it too much and just make changes where we can starting small our food and just not taking a receipt! I thought the book was very informative yet down to earth.
I love the Skinny Bitch series and Kim Barnouin's fiction series. At first I found the trashy talk annoying, but then realized it probably helped to vault the books in the bestseller lists. This book is a great overview of ways you can clean out the toxins from your home and body. I originally borrowed this book from my library and then kept borrowing it until I finally purchased it. A great resource.
Loved how detailed and well researched this book was! The only problem (and why I left off one star) was that at least 5 times there were big chunks of text missing. Not just a word here and there or a misspelling, but whole paragraphs. The end of one chapter discusses a favorite product list to refer to, and the list isn't even there.
Kristie (fabk)
This book was really interesting. I like that the author did not hold back on her personal opinions and gave it like it is. There is a lot in this book that I won't be doing, however I did get some great information on other things and will be keeping a closer eye on ingredients in products I am using.
I will admit that I skipped the irrelevant material. I do not need to know about cribs, etc.

While much of this material can be found online, I appreciate having a reference book within easy reach. And I always appreciate a little snark in my reference books.
Ummm who can really live this strictly? OMG! Well, there is of course doable things in this book. And after understanding that exotoxins fill the air we breathe, eat and drink. It does seem like a good idea to create a toxin free home environment.
Even more things to avoid... Great! I've actually heard a good chunk of this info before, but it was a nice review. And I say nice lightly. Because there's lots of not nice things to learn in here.
It is an Ok book, It talks about of the ingredients that you have to avoid because they are bad for you health. Also, give you natural ingredient to use so you can live a natural and health life.
There really isn't anything in here that I haven't seen before. Plus she doesn't offer a ton of solutions or alternatives, which is really what I need.
Daniela Castañeda
Loved it despite the overwhelming amount of changes I could make to live better.

One step at a time - for a better world.
This book was not for me. It is about living all natural. AND AS GOOD AS THAT SOUNDS IT IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME.
Terri Klemetson
I loved this book, very informative, delivered with a sassy-ness that grabs your attention.
This book is a real eye opener and it also has changed my life and view of things around me
she has something to say, crass mouth, yep clean up those toxins & waste woman..
Amazing! So informative and I love her sense of humour
Rian Pearce-de Wynter
Rian Pearce-de Wynter marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge (New Edition): The Ultimate Guide to Eating Healthfully and Living Compassionately
  • Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: A Gutsy Guide to Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother!
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets
  • Practically RAW: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Main Street Vegan: Everything You Need to Know to Eat Healthfully and Live Compassionately in the Real World
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • The Tropical Vegan Kitchen: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Dishes from the Tropics
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
Before she was a Skinny Bitch, Kim Barnouin was a high school drop-out turned model who only crossed paths with a vegetable on her pizza. Today she is the co-author of The New York Times Bestseller Skinny Bitch with its sequels Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven, Skinny Bitch: Just Bitchin and a line of fitness DVDs.

Born in Rhode Island and raised in Maryland, Kim felt she wa
More about Kim Barnouin...