Start by marking “Memoirs of a Fighting Dog” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of a Fighting Dog

Read Excerpt

Memoirs of a Fighting Dog

This is a story from Sombre's point of view, he is a Pit bull Terrier that has been bred to fight. His story starts with him remembering his brief life with his brother and sisters then as he gets older he is taken through many walks of life meeting different people. He tells of his thoughts towards fighting in the pit and the reason he fought to stay alive.
He explains hi
Published (first published September 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Fighting Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of a Fighting Dog

Sam
Oct 12, 2016 Sam rated it it was amazing
Given the subject matter and the narrator used this could easily have been a disaster. However, it was near perfectly pitched, striking the balance between covering the world of dog fighting in all its blood soaked, repulsive and brutal 'glory' and showing that the dogs caught up in that world are not at fault and that deep down they are still man's best friend (not that he deserves it). The use of an ex-fighting dog (not a spoiler, he tells you that from the start) to narrate the story allows ...more
Tayla
Jun 20, 2013 Tayla rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER FREEBEE FROM AMAZON!

Basic outline:
Somber is a pitbull terrier that is bred for fighting, he is shoved into the life and from his point of view we see how it may be for the dogs in the ring.

MY THOUGHTS:
oh my god.

i cried a lot, this is a sick and twisted book that I am surprised i even finished. I have respect for Keisha for being able to even write the stuff in the book.

I felt as though i were a spectator in the sport and was just watching the dogs fight, i had to put this book down so ma
Kelsey
*I recieved this book through Goodreads First Reads*

I'm not sure what to think about this book. While reading I wanted to cry because I know that these things actually happen. Sometimes I wanted to stop reading, not because it was bad, but because it was too real. This book will probably haunt me for the next few days, if not weeks.

This book was well written. I could picture the events described in my head. I don't want to give anything away, but I'm happy with the ending.
Keisha Keenleyside
Oct 19, 2011 Keisha Keenleyside rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sombre is a pitbull terrier, one of the most commonly used dogs for fighting and this is his graphic and informative tale on his life as a fighting dog.

The memoir is 177 pages including poem and is a petite book. There is content that may disturb sensitive people and younger readers and i have been advised to suggest the minimum reading age as 16+ by a reader who found the short story heartwrenching yet gripping.
Peter
Oct 14, 2013 Peter rated it it was amazing
got this on amazon kindle for free.
i think its got a good story to it, being told from the dogs point of view is really quite sad and brutal. The author did good at telling the tale through Sombers eyes and i dunno how much of this actually happens but it seems pretty realistic in the story.

the poem at the end is awful (not in a bad way)

i dont often read animal books but this one has actually gripped me from the second chapter till the end.
it was slow to begin with, almost awkward but it did ge
Helenlouise66
Jun 04, 2012 Helenlouise66 rated it it was amazing
Memoirs of a fighting dog!!!!

This book was given to me and i was a little wary about reading it at first as i dislike sad but often true stories regarding animals. I found this book heart renching and wanted to stop reading a few times due to the graphic nature( a good thing as people would never know what happens to these poor dogs). The book was well written and must of been hard to do due to the fact its from the dogs point of view. I continued to read on as it captivated me as to how this
LibraryCin
Aug 26, 2015 LibraryCin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

As the title says, this is a fictional memoir of a dog who was forced to fight for his life over and over and over again in the brutal world of dog fighting.

It was a very difficult book to read, but luckily, we know from the very start that the dog (now named Sombre) has survived and been rescued. It shows the horrible world of dog fighting where dogs are trained to kill each other for human sport/entertainment/money. I was in tears throughout a good portion of the book. It is violent
Linda
Dec 22, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Linda by: I have been following Keisha's work
Keisha is a brilliant author. Exposing, crime of dog fighting ,told by a fighting dog. At times I gasped, other times I cried, to think of the horrors done to these poor animals. It is not an easy read but one we all should read and expose this evil. An evil so horrible and so degrading it affects us all.
Laura Hearth
Oct 17, 2013 Laura Hearth rated it it was amazing
The story told by a dog is a eye opening insight to the crime of dog fighting.

I found it hard to read and kept tearing up, but after getting to the end I was glad I did finish it as it was as just as much heartwarming as it was tragic.

Lilian
Sep 08, 2014 Lilian marked it as to-read
*I have won this book from Goodreads First Reads*
I am just waiting for the book to arrive so I can read it then review it.
Skye
Jun 07, 2015 Skye rated it it was amazing
I only joined goodreads to review this book.

The author was doing paperback/kindle giveaways and I agreed to do an honest review of the paperback.

note: I am 16 years old, normally read books like Time Travellers Wife, Memoirs of a Geisha, and A LOT of chic lit so this book is a little different for me.

BOOK DESIGN The book design is beautiful, the fonts inside are creative and go well with the cover. The book itself is small and I actually carried it in my clutch without any problems for space.
Stormi
Jul 29, 2012 Stormi rated it it was amazing
Not recommended for anyone under 15 the book skims the surface of what dogs are put through with dog fighting. All profits from the book go directly to animal charities. This book is very graphic and very sad...thank god for animal rescues that are there to give these poor babies a second chance at a life they fought so hard for...
Jennifer Nelson
A great depiction of what a fighting dog endures. It really sheds light on how horrible these dogs are treated and just breaks my heart knowing this does happen in real life. This would be a great book for everyone to read in order to understand why it's so important to put a stop to this "sport".
June
Jan 01, 2015 June rated it it was amazing
read all three books while they were going free on amazon. Author is great at what she does with vivid imagination. This story was sad.
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Yacotzin Sanchez
Yacotzin Sanchez rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Totalmenace
Totalmenace rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Black Shadow Hunter
Black Shadow Hunter rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Marla
Marla rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Benny
Benny rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2013
Troy
Troy rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2012
claire louise heaton
claire louise heaton rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2016
Ravin Elizalde
Ravin Elizalde rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
BookGallows
BookGallows rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
thomas salt
thomas salt rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
katelyn  kenitz
katelyn kenitz rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2011
Kitty Honeycutt
Kitty Honeycutt marked it as to-read
Xtin
Xtin marked it as to-read
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Divya Alok Nirmal
Divya Alok Nirmal marked it as to-read
Shahrun
Shahrun marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Patrick Agaloos
Patrick Agaloos marked it as to-read
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Megr
Megr marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jamie Brown
Jamie Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2011
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Ashley Kendall
Ashley Kendall marked it as to-read
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Vaneza Vasquez
Vaneza Vasquez marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2011
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2011
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2011
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Lorian Jones
Lorian Jones marked it as to-read
Pooja Pillai
Pooja Pillai marked it as to-read
Serenity_starr
Serenity_starr marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2011
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2011
Cindy White
Cindy White marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2011
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2011
khi
khi marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2011
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2011
Around the Year i...: Memoirs of a Fighting Dog, by Keisha Keenleyside 4 11 Mar 05, 2016 04:59PM
  • Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse
  • Princess Diana- The Day She Didn't Die A Novel
  • The Test (NEBADOR, #1)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last
  • Steam-Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk Stories
  • For the Love of Death (The Death Series, #7)
  • Breathe
  • Panic And The Inner Monkey
  • The Girls' Guide to Dating Zombies
  • Gifted
  • Fire
  • Invitation to Ruin (Invitation To #1)
  • A Dark Sicilian Secret
Hi there, Im keisha.
Im the author of 3 novels (so far)
I love the sunshine...but it lobsters me in return...so I don't think the feeling is mutual.
I am actually terrible at grammar etc.
But im good at smiling =D... see.

More about Keisha Keenleyside...

“Tom watched with his arms folded as the life that had been within Kobe died out, and the fire continued.” 7 likes