Start by marking “Angels Watching Over Me (Angels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Angels Watching Over Me (Angels, #1)

Angels Watching Over Me (Angels Trilogy #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  4,482 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
Happy Holidays! Bah humbug. "Happy" is not the way Leah Lewis-Hall woulddescribe herself at the moment. She's spending her twelve days of Christmas inan Indianapolis hospital, while her mother is thousands of miles away on ahoneymoon with husband number five. Leah went to the doctor with nothing morethan a broken finger, but he ordered her to undergo some tests. Now she'ss ...more
Published October 7th 1996 by Starfire (first published October 1st 1996)

Haley
Mar 12, 2009 Haley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
If you want a book that is bringing you to tears ever other page, go for it. IT makes you feel good and feel horrible at the same time.
Sami
Apr 01, 2010 Sami rated it it was amazing
Leah is not happy about being stuck in the hospital for the holidays while her mother is thousands of miles away on a honeymoon with husband number five. Until she meets her hospital roommate, Rebekah, and her big family. Cynical 16-year-old Leah has never known people like this before. From Rebekah’s handsome brother, Ethan, who can barely look Leah in the eye, to her kind older sister, Charity, the Amish family captivates Leah with its simple, loving ways. When Leah receives frightening inform ...more
Krystle
Sep 07, 2009 Krystle rated it it was ok
You wouldn’t catch me buying or reading this book ever in public, unless I was dead. But the only reason I did was because I read the other two books in the trilogy when I was in late elementary and really liked them, so when I went to a library sale and saw this for super cheap, I thought “Why not?” and got it.

It was okay. The characters weren’t fleshed out because the story was so short, so I didn’t feel any connection to them, nor did I feel any chemistry between any of the interactions the
Kristen
Nov 24, 2009 Kristen rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Girls, especially young adolescents and anyone interested in over-the-top sentimental stories
Genre/Category: Friendship/Romance/Sickness

If you enjoy sentimental, cheesy stories that purposely pull on your heartstrings through unrealistic means, then this book is for you. The story follows a girl named Leah, who is put in the hospital because of a broken finger. Confused by the many tests her doctor insists on running just because of a broken finger, Leah eventually finds out that she has bone cancer. While in the hospital, she becomes good friends with her roommate, an Amish girl named
Rachael
Oct 25, 2015 Rachael rated it liked it
My Actual Rating: 3.5

Another quick and easy read. A little far fetched as far as Gabriella goes but that's just me.

Leah seemed like a pretty level headed young girl who has kind of had to take care of herself a lot growing up. Here she is in a hospital by herself with some mysterious illness when she meets her Amish roommate and her family. The Amish thing was interesting. I've never read about Amish characters who put their religion and beliefs into such easy to understand terms. Anyways, Lea
Sabirah
Jul 25, 2012 Sabirah rated it it was amazing
this is one of the best books i have ever read. no matter how many times i read it again and again, i never get tired of it. it's a sad, cute love story and i guarantee it'll make you cry at some point or another and make you fall in love again....
Amber
Mar 02, 2009 Amber rated it it was amazing
The ANgels trilogy kept me reading for days.once i found out they had more in the series i ran to the library.i wish ethan and leah could have made it. i cried when rebecca died and when leahs stepfather died.
Renata
Aug 29, 2016 Renata rated it it was ok
A Lurlene McDaniel book where nobody dies? I declare shenanigans.

Grace
Jun 27, 2013 Grace rated it really liked it
Sometimes, it is the memory surrounding the origin of a book that leaves the larger impression.

The advent of the digital book has been a wonderful thing for me. Now I can own and carry with me an innumerable number of novels without having to worry about whether it fits in my bag, the weight of carrying it while commuting or whether there is room enough for me to store it. Add in the fact that most ebooks are much, much more affordable compared to their physical counterparts, and it is small won
Annee
Jan 02, 2014 Annee rated it it was ok
Let's see...I sorta kinda forgot to write this review so we'll see what I can recall. Had I read this book when I was 8 or 9 or so, I probably would have loved this book. I'm not sure exactly what age group this book and others by this author are aimed for but everything was so simple, it seemed geared towards young preteens or so. Examples of why it seemed that way? First of all, the writing is very simple and not meant for someone with an extensive vocabulary who likes to learn big words. It's ...more
Jessica
Jan 29, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: Michelle
Shelves: advisory-07-08
In Angels Watching over Me by Lurlene McDaniel, Leah Lewis-Hall, the protagonist, deals with various pains over her body and because of these pains, she ended up in the hospital (almost the entire setting of the book). Without her mother being by her side because she is in Japan for a honeymoon with her fifth husband, Leah meets and becomes friends to a Amish girl named Rebekah and her siblings, Charity and Ethan in addition to Molly, their nurse. When Leah was hospitalized, she learns the diffe ...more
Samantha Pollum
Mar 05, 2015 Samantha Pollum rated it it was amazing
It’s been ages since I’ve read this book but it’s still one of my favorites of all time. The entire series is wonderful and it was about time I reviewed it. Even after almost a decade since I last read this book, I still remember it with great clarity, having read it so many times back when I was a pre-teen.

Leah’s story is quite moving. Lurlene McDaniel has always been one to write fascinating books. I remember someone telling me that people called her books ‘tearjerkers’ because they were alway
Bek
Jan 23, 2015 Bek rated it it was ok
I'll give the first book in this trilogy 2 (2.5) stars, however the other two books are substantially....well have substantially more substance.
This book is really more an exploration of themes and an introduction to the central characters and the vastly different worlds they come from. Leah embodies the "typical" 16 year old girl, slightly neglected by her oft-absent mother and new stepfather and is written in a easily-projectable and identifiable first person manner. Ethan's life is worlds aw
Gina
Sep 19, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it
Lauren Hopkins
Oct 22, 2009 Lauren Hopkins rated it it was ok
Angels Watching Over Me by Lurlene McDaniel
Religion/Miracles/Illness/Friendship

Leah is in the hospital because of a broken finger. The doctors say they want to do some tests. Her mother is currently on her honeymoon with her new husband and it is almost Christmas. Leah is feeling scared and lonely. She ends up making friends with her roommate, a little Amish girl named Rebekah, and her brother and sister. When Leah finds out she has bone cancer, she relies on the faith of her new Amish friends.
Michelle
Jan 24, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
This book is about how Leah Lewis-Hall, a teenage girl went to the hospital because her finger and her knee hurts and later from diagnosis from doctors, she was told that she had cancer. During the time that she was in the hospital, she met an Amish family which are people who a bit isolated from the modern world, such as the way they dress and even speak. In the hospital, Leah met Ethan and they both are falling for each other.
In this book, I learned that it can be very hopeless in a situation
Cassie Parker
Aug 25, 2014 Cassie Parker rated it really liked it
This pulls at your heartstrings for sure. That's the first thing that you need to know because if you don't like crying or feeling down while reading a book, this one probably isn't for you.

AND FOR THE REVIEW...

The story itself was beautiful and well-written. It was easy to understand and follow and easy to love. The characters draw you in, and the choices they make keep you reading. The plot was interesting and entertaining.

For the bad things. I felt as if the story and its characters should
Malorie
Sep 12, 2015 Malorie rated it really liked it
Megan
I loved this book when I was younger and I love it still. I may not be as infatuated with it as I was before but it's still a good read. This is the first book about the Amish that I ever read and led me to others by Beverly Lewis.

Some of the things Ethan says seem kind of silly now. Maybe because I know not all Amish boys are like him either. Leah is kind of annoying but there is something about this book that makes me want to keep reading it. I can't figure out what it is.

Anyway if you like L
Isabelle Ley
Aug 04, 2015 Isabelle Ley rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
I have finished Angels Watching Over Me by Lurlene McDaniel. I really enjoyed this book. It made me very sad, but also happy. If you are willing to shed a few tears, I would recommend this book to you. Little Rebekah was so sweet, I felt so bad for her. I am definitely going to read the rest of the series. One thing that I thought was weird was that Leah knew so little about the Amish, since there is so many shows about them, but I suppose when this book was published, there was not so much medi ...more
Amy Johnson
Sep 27, 2011 Amy Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: english-420
This is a very uplifting book. It is clearly written with a religious young adult audience in mind, and it explores the questions of faith and doubt from deliberately faithful stance. It is relatively well written, though the dialogue of the 16-year-old protagonist sounds a bit old fashioned; the language is fitting for her Amish friends, but unconvincing for a modern teen. There are also some laughable romantic moments, but, like I said, it is an uplifting read, and inasmuch as this was McDanie ...more
Isabelle
Jan 10, 2009 Isabelle rated it it was amazing
This is (for me anyway) an example of a story that you either love or hate. It's not that the books are absolute classics, that I would recommend them to everyone I know or even to buy them. But there are stories that are worth telling and reading. Even if they are labelled 'young adult novel'. I'm not saying that the whole thing isn't a bit over the edge but still. I can understand if someone was to say the books weren't that good or that the events weren't that credible anymore. However I like ...more
I must have read the first two books in this trilogy at the same time, because I could have sworn a couple things that happen in the second novel happened in this one. In any case, this is pretty typical Lurlene McDaniel fare. Pretty girl gets sick, pretty girl is resentful of being sick, pretty girl meets boy and learns a valuable lesson. It's formulaic, but McDaniel's earlier work was always pretty solidly written.

Definitely still better than The Fault in Our Stars.
Elah Horwitz
Oct 16, 2007 Elah Horwitz rated it really liked it
This book is about a teenager girl named Leah Lewis Hall, and spends her Christmas in the hospital. Throughout that time she meets a little Amish girl named Rebecca. This book explains the difference of the Amish culture and the culture that we live in today. Leah and Rebecca become close friends and share their beliefs and what they enjoy. Each day Rebecca is getting sicker and sicker, were as the docters are still trying to figure out what caused Leah's finger to break.
Adinda
May 07, 2013 Adinda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Een lastig te plaatsen boek: de cover doet denken aan een goedkoop damesromannetje, de achterflap impliceert een young adult-boek met bovennatuurlijke kantjes, maar na lezen van het eerste hoofdstuk lijkt het nog het meest op een kinderboek.

De Amish-familie wordt interessant neergezet, maar de Christelijke lading ligt er voor mij iets te dik bovenop. Het is bovendien een vrij kort verhaal, er gebeurt in feite niet zoveel.
Kim
Jan 01, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
I always loved this book as a teenager. Reading it now it still felt nostalgic. I loved the book and especially the charachters. And even though I do not believe I think it is a pretty sweet story about discovery and finding a way to get along. I also love how this story is about the amish. Not many books are about them so I did like it a lot.
Megan
Angels Watching Over Me is the first book in the Angels trilogy. I found the story to be pretty enjoyable, even though it's geared for a younger audience I still liked it a lot. I'm looking forward to reading the next two books. Recommended if you enjoy contemporary stories or Lurlene McDaniel's books.
Erin Brawner
Angels Watching Over Me is about Leah Lewis-Hall and her relationship with an Amish family she meets in the hospital. With her mother on a honeymoon, Leah went in for a broken finger but test made he stay with no one their for her. This book is good for students to learn about Amish families and their way of life.
Lilian

I love this story, I first come upon it in high school and have fallen in love with Leah and Ethan. This is the first book of a trilogy. Lurlene McDaniels has a way with words, that you just can't seem to put the book down until you are completely done with it. Definitely a tear jerker. A must read.
Julia
Aug 15, 2007 Julia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: pre-teens
Shelves: children-ya
Loved these books when I was in elementary school and even into middle school. Looking back I knew they were ridiculously melodramatic and indicate a bizarre morbid tendency but I loved them nonetheless and had friends who felt the same. For whatever reason, they were very compelling to me at that age.
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 56 - Angels Watching Over Me 6 17 Sep 13, 2016 07:44AM
  • Get a Life (Clearwater Crossing, #1)
  • London Calling (Elizabeth, #2)
  • Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers, #3)
  • Silver (Sarabeth, #1)
  • Now Picture This (Sierra Jensen, #9)
  • Lost Yesterday
  • Thames Doesn't Rhyme with James
  • The Boy Next Door (Love Stories For Young Adults, #4)
  • The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #4)
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...

Angels Trilogy (3 books)
  • Lifted Up by Angels (Angels, #2)
  • Until Angels Close My Eyes (Angels, #3)