Start by marking “The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Published April 3rd 2012 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Preservation Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Preservation Kitchen

Crown Publishing Group
The first canning manual and cookbook authored by a Michelin-starred chef and restaurant owner, The Preservation Kitchen reveals a world of endless flavor combinations using revolutionary ideas that bring homemade preserves deliciously to life. Pairing science with art, Paul Virant presents expert preserving techniques, sophisticated recipes, and seasonal menus inspired by the award-winning fare at his restaurant, Vie, in Western Springs, Illinois.

Imaginative tangy jams, brandied fruits, zesty r
Martha
Jun 30, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it
I have never tried pickling (only pickleball) or preserving food but this book makes me want to give it a try. I love the format for this book as well. "In the Jar" and "On the Table". The second section is further divided by seasons. At least nothing is stopping me from trying the Bittersweet Chocolate Marquise with Summer Berry Jam or Lemon Verbena Cordial for the Verbena Sling and Elderflower Syrup for fruit dessert garnish. Very interesting cookbook. Beautiful pictures and new ideas for my k ...more
Greta
Feb 03, 2013 Greta rated it liked it
Truly, I wanted to love this book - but I didn't. I really liked some parts of it - including the exhaustive pickle recipes (everything from pickled baby artichokes to pickled celery root) and the interesting chapter on aigre-doux and mostarda. Sadly, the jam section was mediocre (if you're a jam maker, you already have tried-and-true recipes for blackberry or apricot jam as well as variations on each). And I just can't see myself turning my kitchen into a charcuterie and making my own bacon or ...more
Val
Apr 10, 2012 Val rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful preservation book, though it's probably not the best book for a beginner. I'm a big fan of Virant's restaurants and food philosophy, so this is right up my alley. I made the pickled asparagus and pickled chard stems this past weekend, and both turned out well. I'm looking forward to making some of his recipes in the second half of the book with my preserves and pickles. Good ideas and creative uses for your preserved goods. Highly recommended.
Philip Schramp
Jan 05, 2013 Philip Schramp rated it it was amazing
This is a book for people that love to READ cookbooks as well as actually use the recipes. Leahy has a great story to tell and does so through his recipes of preserving and additional recipes on how to use what you have preserved in various dishes. Many great ideas for capturing the flavors of fresh produce at the peak of the season and using them throughout the year. These are not your grandmothers canning recipes!
Kelly
Sep 08, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canning-cooking
This book is gorgeous and inspiring. Finally, a book on preserving that has something new in it! Milk jam! Aigre-doux! Admittedly, I have only made one of the recipes so far (tomato jam) but I'll try the blueberry aigre-doux soon. It's due back at the library today. So if I find that the recipes aren't that tasty, I'll downgrade this review to 4 stars. Still.
Matt Kruse
Dec 17, 2015 Matt Kruse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Love this book. Lots of cool ideas, both for preserving foods but also for using them. I've had good success with the recipes I've tried so far, and am excited to keep working through the list.
Connie
Jul 08, 2013 Connie rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Recently made the Brandied Cherries as a great gift, lovely to look at and delicious to eat. We garden so our pickling has now gone beyond cukes thanks to these recipes.
Carol
Mar 24, 2013 Carol rated it it was ok
This has really pretty pictures but I don't see myself making any of the recipes in this book. It might be a little too fancy for me.
Adam Crafter
Jun 25, 2012 Adam Crafter rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
MMMM! So many tasty recipes to try!
Some are by season, and some are about saving food for much later.
Nov 20, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: wine-and-food, 2012
Beautiful photography and complete meal recipe approach to this book.
Kathy
Jun 28, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Caramel Apple Butter? Can't wait to make it in the Fall!
Victoria
Mar 13, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I want to make everything in this cookbook immediately.
Tina Schumacher
Tina Schumacher rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Timothy Bosso
Timothy Bosso marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
A
A marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
faith moore
faith moore marked it as to-read
Muffins
Muffins marked it as to-read
Andrew Parrish
Andrew Parrish marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dana Al-Basha
Dana Al-Basha marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
E.
E. rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Terri Walters
Terri Walters marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It
  • Putting Food By
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Put 'em Up! Fruit: Creative Recipes for Making and Using Fresh Fruit Preserves, Chutneys, Infusions, and Pickles
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • True Brews: How to Craft Fermented Cider, Beer, Wine, Sake, Soda, Mead, Kefir, and Kombucha at Home
  • The Dehydrator Bible: Includes Over 400 Recipes
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
  • Home made
  • The Pickled Pantry: From Apples to Zucchini, 185 Recipes for Pickles, Relishes, Chutneys & More
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • Foraged Flavor: Finding Fabulous Ingredients in Your Backyard or Farmer's Market, with 88 Recipes