Start by marking “The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published April 3rd 2012 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Preservation Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Preservation Kitchen

Crown Publishing Group
The first canning manual and cookbook authored by a Michelin-starred chef and restaurant owner, The Preservation Kitchen reveals a world of endless flavor combinations using revolutionary ideas that bring homemade preserves deliciously to life. Pairing science with art, Paul Virant presents expert preserving techniques, sophisticated recipes, and seasonal menus inspired by the award-winning fare at his restaurant, Vie, in Western Springs, Illinois.

Imaginative tangy jams, brandied fruits, zesty r
Martha
I have never tried pickling (only pickleball) or preserving food but this book makes me want to give it a try. I love the format for this book as well. "In the Jar" and "On the Table". The second section is further divided by seasons. At least nothing is stopping me from trying the Bittersweet Chocolate Marquise with Summer Berry Jam or Lemon Verbena Cordial for the Verbena Sling and Elderflower Syrup for fruit dessert garnish. Very interesting cookbook. Beautiful pictures and new ideas for my k ...more
Greta
Truly, I wanted to love this book - but I didn't. I really liked some parts of it - including the exhaustive pickle recipes (everything from pickled baby artichokes to pickled celery root) and the interesting chapter on aigre-doux and mostarda. Sadly, the jam section was mediocre (if you're a jam maker, you already have tried-and-true recipes for blackberry or apricot jam as well as variations on each). And I just can't see myself turning my kitchen into a charcuterie and making my own bacon or ...more
Val
This is a wonderful preservation book, though it's probably not the best book for a beginner. I'm a big fan of Virant's restaurants and food philosophy, so this is right up my alley. I made the pickled asparagus and pickled chard stems this past weekend, and both turned out well. I'm looking forward to making some of his recipes in the second half of the book with my preserves and pickles. Good ideas and creative uses for your preserved goods. Highly recommended.
Philip Schramp
This is a book for people that love to READ cookbooks as well as actually use the recipes. Leahy has a great story to tell and does so through his recipes of preserving and additional recipes on how to use what you have preserved in various dishes. Many great ideas for capturing the flavors of fresh produce at the peak of the season and using them throughout the year. These are not your grandmothers canning recipes!
Kelly
This book is gorgeous and inspiring. Finally, a book on preserving that has something new in it! Milk jam! Aigre-doux! Admittedly, I have only made one of the recipes so far (tomato jam) but I'll try the blueberry aigre-doux soon. It's due back at the library today. So if I find that the recipes aren't that tasty, I'll downgrade this review to 4 stars. Still.
Connie
Love this book! Recently made the Brandied Cherries as a great gift, lovely to look at and delicious to eat. We garden so our pickling has now gone beyond cukes thanks to these recipes.
Carol
This has really pretty pictures but I don't see myself making any of the recipes in this book. It might be a little too fancy for me.
Adam Crafter
MMMM! So many tasty recipes to try!
Some are by season, and some are about saving food for much later.
Beautiful photography and complete meal recipe approach to this book.
Kathy
Caramel Apple Butter? Can't wait to make it in the Fall!
Victoria
I want to make everything in this cookbook immediately.
Jose Miguel
Jose Miguel marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Ran Jan
Ran Jan marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Gregory Mergner
Gregory Mergner marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jul 05, 2015
Miranda Westphal
Miranda Westphal marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Pankaj Bhatia
Pankaj Bhatia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Ta
Ta marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Lil Miss
Lil Miss marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • Putting Food By
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Put 'em Up! Fruit: Creative Recipes for Making and Using Fresh Fruit Preserves, Chutneys, Infusions, and Pickles
  • The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • True Brews: How to Craft Fermented Cider, Beer, Wine, Sake, Soda, Mead, Kefir, and Kombucha at Home
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Home made
  • The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World
  • Simply Satisfying: Over 200 Vegetarian Recipes You'll Want to Make Again and Again
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • Mastering Fermentation: Recipes for Making and Cooking with Fermented Foods
A Chef's Year of Preserving: The Craft of Making Sweet and Savory Preserves--and 100 Ways to Cook with Them