Start by marking “Too Young to Die (Melissa & Jory, #1)” as Want to Read:
Too Young to Die (Melissa & Jory, #1)

Too Young to Die (Melissa & Jory #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,613 ratings  ·  36 reviews
At sixteen, Melissa Austin has always worked hard to make things go her way. As the school year begins, her grades are up and she's even landed a coveted spot on the high school Brain Bowl team. She and her best friend, Jory Delaney, are determined to have the best junior year ever.Then suddenly Melissa must face some devastating news about her health. At first she refuses ...more
Published July 7th 1989 by Laurel Leaf Library (first published July 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Too Young to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Young to Die

Sheetal Dash
This book is wonderful it shows the power love can have. In this book you can get the feeling that life can be bad but it can have good sides if you have love. This is the only book I've read about someone with cancer and it taught me so much I didn't know. I admit I didn't buy this book for educational purposes but once I got reading, I really enjoyed the book. This book wasn't just about what a family goes through when a relative has cancer or it doesn't just go on about hospitals and facts ab ...more
Emily
Jun 30, 2009 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
YA lit has come a loooong way since this 1989 gem. Thank goodness! I had to choose a Lurlene McDaniel paperback to read for class so I chose this one. I always stayed away from them when I was 12ish because I thought they looked too depressing. This one wasn't so much depressing as boring. But again, at the time it was published it was probably filling a niche! On a side note, I'm pretty sure Lurlene is using the same author photo from the 80s in her recently published books.

Here it is :)
http:
Christian Singer
Even though the subject matter of her books is intense, Lurlene McDaniel crafts stories that make you feel as if you know the characters and care about their illnesses and struggles. So far I haven't read a book of hers I wouldn't recommend.
"At sixteen, Melissa Austin has always worked hard to make things go her way. . . . Then suddenly Melissa must face some devastating news about her health" (blurb from the back cover). What must it be like to have everything going for you and big dreams for
Michelle
This book was about how Melissa found out that she leukemia. Her family and her best friend Jory had helped her and supported her. Melissa is a very strong and agressive girl who wants to do her best in everything. After an event that happened, Melissa slowly realize or understand what she really wants and needs.
I like this book because I can relate to it because I have a best friend that always supported me. Especially this year, when I had a hard time and she was there for me and allowed me to
Jen
I don't remember much about this book, but I remember LOVING it!
Ashley
Feb 06, 2014 Ashley added it
Loved this book!
Michelle
Oct 17, 2007 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8th grade/freshman
Again, i loved this book. It truly showed the bond between a high school girl and her family and friends. Melissa is easy to relate to and pulls you in with her unique personality. Again, i have to congratulate Lurlene McDaniel for another masterpiece. This book is compelling, interesting, and educational. If you know someone that doesn't like to read I'd recommend this book. It's THAT good!
Yang
This was a very sad and touching story. The protagonist, Melissa, finds out that she has leukemia but she didn't want to believe it. Melissa gains a lot of support from family and friends and creates a great bond with them. This book has made me think about how fragile life is and to appreciate the time you have to spend with family and friends.
Colleen Rue
This book hit close to home,as I lost my best friend Jessica when we were both 16 to bone cancer.I also read the second book about Melissa and Jory.Both are great.Reading both books brought back memories,both happy and sad,of the times Jessie and I had spent together.
Staci
Once again Lurlene McDaniel has a perfect book. She is a wonderful author. She pleased me in every book i have read so far. If you haven't read this book I recommend it! It is for people who like sad stories. It is sad but then it begins to become happy.
Kianna
Mar 01, 2008 Kianna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
this book was really touching. it was so sad how she just woke up one morning with a life that wouldnt be the same anymore. having cancer and leukemia is nothing to play with and i know what it feels like to have to go through that.
Totallydauntless
When I first picked uyp this book I thought it would have the typical storyline.A girl gets cancer, she gets better,she falls in love,and then she dies.But that didn't happen This book is sooooooooooo awesome.:)
I Read
I read this book quite a while back and the fact the it has stood out in my memory is proof that it was a good read. I found it interesting and sad discovering what life with cancer is like. Recommended.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the plot and characters of the story. This was a heartwarming and heartbreaking book. I can't wait to read the next book.
Caroline
Melissa is beautiful, smart, and has a great family. Her best friend is madly in love with her brother, but he doesn't notice. But then Melissa gets Cancer and her whole world turns upside down.
Melissa
I remember reading this when I was in middle school, probably cause the main characters name was Meliss, but it was an amazing book and I loved it..its stayed with me all these years.
Bri Hogue
Sep 03, 2007 Bri Hogue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids who may be going through the same thing
Dawns life turns out of control. when she was 12 years old and she found out she has cancer. She thought her life was perfect but that day turnd out to be the worst day in anyones life.
Geeth
One of my favorite authors as a kid, I decided to revisit some of her books. The story was not too bad, but I think she has better novels out there.
Melissa
Too Young to Die is a novel of a young teen who fights for what she wants! Another amazing novel by Lurlene McDaniel
Gabrielle Short
My second favorite book in the universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've read it three times in the past couple months.
Aubrie
Jul 06, 2008 Aubrie added it
This is a great book to read you will go through all the emotions of happy to sad
Lexi
I loved this book it was kinda exciting i never new what was going to happen
Sally
I remember that I read this book and was convinced I was going to die at 16.
Marina
this book is amazing! I would definitely say this was lurlene McDaniel's best.
I love Lurlene McDaniel, she is my favorite author and i love all her books.
Yohana Ekky
I like Melissa's character here. She's actually a great girl. :)
Michelle T.
This book teaches a lot about friendships, they can last forever
Shannon
One of my favorite authors from when I was young!!!
Brittany
It is an amazing book and that everyone is too young to die
Nadine
Expect the worst, but HOPE for the best.
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • Flight #116 Is Down!
  • Boys Against Girls (Sweet Valley Twins, #17)
  • The Surgeon's Secret Baby (Hopewell General)
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • Road Trip (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Chloe, #3)
  • Reality Check (Clearwater Crossing, #2)
  • The Last Silk Dress
  • New York, New York! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #6)
  • A Royal Pain
  • I Am Fifteen--and I Don't Want To Die
  • Outcast (Sons of the Dark, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • One Night with a Goddess (Goddess, #2)
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...

Melissa & Jory (2 books)
  • Goodbye Doesn't Mean Forever (Melissa & Jory, #2)
Don't Die, My Love Angels Watching Over Me (Angels Trilogy, #1) Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1) I'll Be Seeing You Telling Christina Goodbye

“We all didn't come into to the world at the same time so it makes sense that we don't leave it at the same time.” 134 likes