How Do I Love Thee

How Do I Love Thee

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,473 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Though written more than a century ago, Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s beautiful sonnet rings true today for three young couples who believe in the power of love.

In “Night Vision,” Brett finds a way to brighten a special girl’s lonely existence. “Bobby’s Girl” features Dana, who must choose between two brothers, both of whom she loves. “Laura’s Heart,” the third story, intro...more
Published December 24th 2002 by Laurel Leaf (first published October 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How Do I Love Thee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do I Love Thee

Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDanielSix Months to Live by Lurlene McDanielSo Much to Live for by Lurlene McDanielA Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDanielI Want to Live by Lurlene McDaniel
Lurlene McDaniel Novels
23rd out of 62 books — 78 voters
Forbidden by Tabitha SuzumaThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverIf I Stay by Gayle Forman
Sad YA Books
30th out of 73 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

Mevurah
First off, I absolutely LOVE the cover for this book. It's so beautiful! I love the mixture of Pink, Blue, and Purple surrounding the couple by the sea. I really liked the concept of the poem "How Do I Love Thee" by Emily Browning serving as a foundation for these three different stories about young love. The stories that I enjoyed the most were the first and last.

The first story was very sweet! How a cancer survivor wants to bring light to a girl who is forced to live in the darkness.

The 2nd s...more
Maggie
TheSaint
Jan 15, 2009 TheSaint rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Lurlene McDaniel's new book, How Do I Love Thee, takes its title from the famous sonnet by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Each of the three novellas that make up the book, takes its theme from the final line of that sonnet: "I shall but love thee better after death." By the time you finish the final story, you will know what it is like to completely give your heart to someone.
The girls love anything written by author McDaniel. I finally had to read one to see what all the fuss was about.
Shaynice Dorcena
I'd have to say this book was my favorite besides "please don't die" the last story was the best because of the way it ended. That story is kinda like Romeo and juliet meets lifetime. If you like a good cry check this one out :o)
Karen
Tina
Aug 07, 2014 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was a reread for me; I had read so many Lurlene McDaniel's books when I was younger, and when I saw this for only $1.00 at my local book store, I couldn't pass it up! I loved all of her work and couldn't read it fast enough! There's something about her stories that just draws you in and won't let go.

This novel is comprised of three short stories: Night Vision, Bobby's Girl and Laura's Heart. Each is unique, but all the the theme of finding love and terminal illnesses. Night Vision is a sho...more
Katelyn Bach
This Lurlene McDaniel’s series consist of three books. The three books are Night Vision, Bobby’s Girl and Laura’s Heart. These three books are related in a many ways. These ways include the main characters having metical conditions that play a main role in story’s plot. These books are all very short but if you’re into the romantic novels with a twist these books are recommended for you.
The writing style of this series of books is easy to read and comprehend. These books are fast reading books b...more
Jenna Cantino
I enjoyed these novellas by Mcdaniel. The first one started off a little spooky but definitely got better. I enjoy the sweet and simple relationship the characters had and was definitely surprised by the ending!
The second story was probably my favorite. It was somewhat dramatic with the main character having to choose between two brothers, one who was terminally ill. I'm happy with the choice that the main character made and was completely satisfied with the ending, which does not happen often.
T...more
Justine Rowe
I've always loved Lurlene McDaniel books. I read this as an e-book on Overdrive. There were a ton of spelling mistakes in the second and third stories. Sometimes it was hard to understand because of the mistakes, and not knowing what should have been there instead.
7amina
Jan 10, 2013 7amina added it
In this book, Brett, the main character moves to a new state, a completely different state. He has to make new friends, and fit in in school, which is hard because Brett had leukemia. He finds a girl dancing in the moonlight in the woods, and watches her, he finds out her nickname is 'ghost girl' he goes to her house one day and they get to know each other, turns out, the girl is allergic to the sun, she has a rare disease. They fall in love, but one day she was stranded out in the sun and got 3...more
Destiny
This book is very interesting, It stunned me and caught me off guards at certain scene that were very unexpected to me. This book I could say, I really did enjoy reading it, I loved it. Three stories in one book, the author I feel like she wrote this book to show us, as readers and believers that love never dies, it will always be there, even if we loose someone we really love, the person maybe be gone but not it spirit and soul, spiritually and physically they are there with us, always by our s...more
Andrea Ivonne
Lurlene McDaniel,
Thank you for making such and amazing story about a girl who can't go outside,i never thought that i will ever read a book who talk's about,Xeroderma Pigmentosum (XP),when i starded reading the book i was realiazing something,i was like OMG,Shaila has the samething as me,she has XP.And your right they do call us Chidren of the moon;)
I read your book when i was 12 years old,and now that im 18 i still have the same feeling i did back then when i read your book.
Thank you for making...more
Brandy
Jul 20, 2008 Brandy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good cry
Veronica
I actually reread this not remembering that I read it before. Halfway through the book, I remembered what happened, which kind of ruined it. I liked all three of the short stories, especially the last two. "Bobby's Girl" was definitely my favorite. They were all different despite the fact that they were all inspired by the same poem. My only complaint was that because the stories were so short, there wasn't a lot of time for character development, so some of the stories seemed to go by too quick...more
Arielle
This book is so bad it almost becomes good again.
Lurlene outdoes herself in the melodrama department. It's not enough that these kids are sick. There has to be a super-awkward love triangle, or someone getting trapped with no escape or a romance so impossible the only way for it to continue is... well, you'll see it coming from a mile away, but I won't ruin the surprise. Point is, the tales veer into campy and if you just go with that -- instead of taking them seriously -- you can't help but enj...more
Evelyn Raygoza
Wonderful Book.
Jasmine
I read this book whenever I need a good cry. Make sure you have a box of tissues with you. This book has 3 stories in it. I only read the first 2. The 3rd book I never got into, it didn't affect me like the first 2. It's a teen romance. How Do I Love Thee talks about teens with different forms of cancer and other rare diseases. The emotion in Lurlene McDaniels books make me keep coming back for more :) She writes about real things that happen, and it makes you look at it in a different but bette...more
Michelle
I didn't read all of the short stories in here, but I did read "Night Vision", and possibly another. It is quite sad, I must admit. All of Lurlene Mcdanial's books are about young people who have serious sicknesses, or are in dangerous situations. Her son had some sort of illness, and her was inspired to write Christian books for teens that weren't just "happily ever after", but rather dealt with real problems and encouraged teens who might be going through something difficult themselves.
I refuse to read anymore of these. Too sad, sweet but sad.
Andreananowrimo

Such wonderful and touching romantic stories that are inspired by the poem "How Do I Love Thee" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. The poem is my favorite.
I had read these stories several times as a young teen and had remembered loving them so I wanted to read them again now that I'm older. All 3 of the novellas in this collection are equally as wonderful although I think I enjoyed "Bobby's Girl" the most
Taleyah
I read this book several years ago, one of the books that got me searching for those sappy love stories.
It was so sweet, and yet it was a harsh reality, of what love can do to us, and what the universe has planned for us.
I can't remember all the story line, just that the third story made me cry, a lot harder than the other ones.
A truly moving book. :)
Rachel
wow. sapppppppy. but a book that you read in the middle of the night when you're PMSing and crying your eyes out. it's a very typical "OMB! the guy I've loved since kindergarden is in the hospital with terminal cancer! Goodness! should I tell him?" chick flick.

and Joshua, as much as I love you, it's a 120% girl book. so don't even try to read it.
Sam
Number of short stories: 3
Number of time I cried: 3

This book was great. It was sad and touching, and I actually, truly cared about the characters. I have read (and loved) Lurlene McDaniel's books for a few years now, and well, if you haven't read her books: READ THEM. Well, only if you're in a mood to cry...
Thea
Loving someone and be loved by that someone gives you the feeling that the world revolves just around you.

But when we lose that someone, we feel that we have nothing/no one else left to love us. Wrong.

Our loved ones left because they know that something better will happen to us...Even without them.
Christina
Oct 31, 2010 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls who love sweet short stories
Recommended to Christina by: Excellently from.. half-price bookstore! =)
Absolutely Amazing. Grab a box of tissues and sit down for a 2 hr read of love,,, and ultimate sacrifice.
"There hasth no greater love than this; that one may lay down one's life for his (her) friends"
wonderfully written; Lurlene McDaniel writes another great read- *enjoy
Kristija Sejane
This book started my passion for reading. I checked this book out from the library and failed to return it. Years after, I discovered this book while moving. It is one of those books that will leave you crying. And that is when I discovered what a big impact reading does.
Wendolyn
Jul 20, 2012 Wendolyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adult, romance
Recommended to Wendolyn by: Sadie
I love short stories that are long enough to have some depth. These plots have stayed with me.
Night Vision was tragic young love in impossible circumstances, as was Laura's heart. At least two of the three stories dealt with the main character's health issues.

Lucille Abellanosa
Lurlene McDaniel sure knows how to make a big girl cry. i read this book, maybe, 4 years ago and till now its still stock in my head. specially the Night Vision. but sometimes i wonder how can she write such sad stories.
Carly
I love this author and I love how all her books keep you on your toes. She says that she wants to teach and show teens not about diseases but, how to deal with them. I think that these stories are very useful in somones life.
Devon
I love Lurlene McDaniel books! This book has three seperate short stories. Each one was more sad and made me cry harder than the one before it. The third one was SOO sad, i was crying so hard. Read it!
Do you believe? 6 16 Feb 23, 2014 12:53AM
  • From the Secret Place in My Heart
  • Chicken Soup for the Christian Teenage Soul: Stories to Open the Hearts of Christian Teens (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Taken  (Left Behind: The Kids, #1-4)
  • The Society (Forbidden Doors, #1)
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Guests of War Trilogy: The Sky is Falling / Looking at the Moon / The Lights Go On Again
  • The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #4)
  • Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1)
  • Finding God in the Lord of the Rings
  • Dateable: Are You? Are They?
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...
Don't Die, My Love Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1) Angels Watching Over Me (Angels Trilogy, #1) I'll Be Seeing You Telling Christina Goodbye