Start by marking “The Faithless” as Want to Read:
The Faithless

The Faithless

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  867 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Number-one bestselling author Martina Cole (The Family, Hard Girls) delivers a hard-hitting novel that’s a guaranteed bestseller.

Published October 1st 2011 by Headline Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Faithless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faithless

Best Crime Books
For the last three books that Martina Cole has written, I finish it and then promise myself I won't waste money buying it full price. I feel terrible saying that but it's the truth. I have always been a huge Martina Cole fan and loved the older books such as `Ladykillers'. Sadly it seems that many authors who have huge success seem to go rapidly downhill. I fear that Martina Cole is now firmly on that list. So after finishing her last book entitled The Family I swore that was it. Yet here I am a...more
Mary Thomas
After reading this latest novel by Martina Cole I really feel that she is just rehashing previous stories. There is so much repetition in her books these days that I rapidly lose patience with the story. I also repeatedly am feeling that I have read all of this before in previous Cole books.
The same old story of one strong beautiful sister not getting the life she feels she deserves. The younger weaker sister who always has a nervous disorder after witnessing some form of violence. The neglected...more
Liz Haverda
I've read most of Martina Cole's books and usually they are paced well, interesting in content (though I think she may have overdone East-End gansters now) and have a good twist. But, this book was very poor. I also very much dislike books that tell you the ending in the first 2 pages - what's the point of me reading the rest of it. Faithless felt very lazy. Repitition throughout made it boring in places.
Carol Peace
Martina Cole does it again. I was lent this book by a friend who passes all Martina Coles boks to me I can't believe she has ever written a bad book, this certainly wasn't one.
It starts with Cynthia Tailor and her unsettled life. She is never happy unless she is steeped in tragedy,She turned down Johnny and married Jimmy but her sister Celeste marries Johnny and there is no one more unhappy than Cynthia.She does not want her 2 children, can't be bothered with them and is happy to let her mother...more
Ronnie,
Martina Cole has earned respect and money from Her novels mainly about dysfunctional families and The Faithless is yet another one of those stories that becomes predictable and could of been cut by 200 pages.
The Take, Close and The Family are all here.If You've never read a Martina Cole novel before then pick this one up You won't be disappointed.
I would really like to see Martina Cole write another serial killer Book... The Ladykiller anyone????,

Pam
Loved this book. Surprised at some comments, I thought the book packed a real punch.
Rachael
Feb 28, 2012 Rachael is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
the story line is fine but i find that she is very repetitive
Lainy
Blurb from Goodreads

To the outside world, Cynthia Tailor is a woman to envy: she has a devoted husband, a lovely home and two gorgeous children. But Cynthia has always craved the best things in life, and is determined to see that she gets them. Cynthia will let nothing stand in her way, even if it means devastation and tragedy for those nearest to her …

British writer M...more
Anamaria
Jul 11, 2013 Anamaria rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not even my enemies
This book gets indulgently only 1 start because the book itself was a present from my father. He did not choose it especially for me, by author or title, he just picked whatever was on top shelf in a library, aka bestseller section, at that time(January) in Ireland.
Not only did it take me FOREVER to force myself to finish it, it also made me question my literary preferences (contemporary literature).
This is the only book I read by this author and my relationship with her will end with the last...more
Barbra
I loved Martina's earlier books but sometimes find that the newer books tend to drag a bit - shame cos I love her books.....

Back Cover Blurb:
To the outside world, Cynthia Tailor is a woman to envy. But Cynthia is deeply unhappy with her lot; she has always craved the best things in life, and she is determined to get them, even if it means devastation and tragedy for those nearest to her.
Amongst the many casualties are her husband Jimmy, unable to fight the wife he can never please; her sister Ce...more
Ricardo
I gotta hand it to Martina, she can sure glue me to the storyline in a jiff.
Cynthia Taylor/ Calaham is one of those villains you gotta love to hate.
as I started the book i expected something more on the line of "hard girls" which I had just read, but somehow the rise and fall of this despicable femme fatale got me litterally holding the pages as if my life depended of it.
I don't know if you ever read the thornbirds, but the faithless reminded me of it. the main difference being that in thr thorn...more
Kara Bisceglia
The Faithless was an interesting read. Martina Cole is able to make the main character, Cynthia come to life with her experiences and emotions. This is a very raw and honest piece that deals with an unhappy woman. On the outside it looks like she has everything. A perfect family, a perfect marriage but on the inside Cynthia is miserable and unhappy with her home. This book was able to convey the depths people will go to get what they think they deserve and that may come with a price. This story...more
Angie Rhodes
the characters, , Jimmy,James Jonny Jack, Cherie,Celeste, Cynthia,,! no imagination! Starts off well,,, then it becomes deja vu,,, same plots,different names, ,
Kelly
This is Cole at her best. I read "The Family" last year & thought it was amazing & could not put it down & didn't believe she could equal it but she has with "The Faithless".
Cole is such an easy to read writer who hooks you in although the plots & story lines are always very similar (women protagonists, crime in families, gangs & relationships) she does it so well & I'm never let down by her work.
If you like Cole do not miss reading this book!.
I have a feeling like I did...more
Marguerite J W White
I found it really absorbing and very intriging,I again couldnt stop reading this and it takes you into tye world of the criminals,there was some twists and violence and some romance.but nasty people caught up in there crimes..some got what they deserved and some you couldnt help feeling sorry for them,I think that if you do not mind some of the language and blunt content.Its a good read..
Ann Davis
I shouldn't star this book as I didn't get very far before I decided I wouldn't finish it. I was recommended this book by a friend who loves Martina Cole, but I hated it. Whiny woman who wants to be kept in the manner she thinks she should be. Filthy mouthed family who uses more f words than anything else. It just kept repeating about how selfish this woman was who worshipped and loved money more than anything else. I might finish it one day to see if it got any better, but I have other books I...more
Victoria
After seeing two dramatizations of Cole's work for British TV, I was intrigued to read something of hers. "The Faithless' was the first I could find. It has the same themes that the two stories I saw dramatized have. it is about working class British families with ties to organized crime. The family drama is huge. These are gritty and probably fairly realistic. I'm trying one more to see if it's so similar to the others. This is the antithesis of 'Downton Abbey' and 'Pride and Predjudice'.
Amanda Wakefield
First time I've read a Martina Cole, it was a birthday gift from my sister. Can't say I'll be rushing out to read another. The story itself was actually okay, but I found her writing style soooo repetitive! I got that her family didn't like her very much, I didn't need to be told it on practically every single page. That said, I quite liked the fact that the chapters were so short, as I could read a chapter without the guilt that I should be somewhere doing something else!
Jane
Is it me or is the character of the son/brother James the same as the son in "The Take" can't remember his name & I've lent my friend the book, but it was just a repeat of the same character - or so it seemed to me.

Three quarters of the way through & can't believe I'm on like chapter 167 or something!

It's a good read, but as a lot of people have said there is a great deal of needless repetition through out about the characters.

I'm enjoying it though.
Micki Lou
This book kept me gripped all the way through, couldn't put it down. I would highly recommend Martina Cole to all my friends and I look forward to reading her futures novels. I felt for Gaby and her children in this book, her mother came across quite overbearing and it must have made her feel useless and unloved. If anyone is looking for a good crime novel, please choose Martina Cole, she tells it like it is and does it in a gripping and personable way.
Kerry Orme
Little disappointed with this book. The faithless, at the beginning kept me glued to it, however not far after mid way i started to get a bit bored. I found the book a bit long winded in places. The faithless certainly reminded me of Martina Coles, The Buisness. Both having bad mother figures and perfect grandparents. Still worth a read though.
Clare
Yet another great read. Got me hooked from the beginning to end. I personally couldn't help but get drawn in by Cynyhia's (evil woman) character. As some of my family reminded me "it's only a story". But in true Martina style, twists and turns kept me griped as well as believing and wondering is this story typical of Gangland Britain!?
Melissa
It was readable, but unfortunately Cole's style of writing does not vary much from novel to novel so I probably won't pick her up again for a while. Although her novels are well written and clever the plots have become predictable to me so I will give her a break. Not her best storyline so far.
Jen Kimber
I have been reading Martina Cole since her first book came out when I was 19. I still love her gritty writing however it's beginning to feel like the same story told a different way. Maybe she could write another one like "The Ladykiller" it's was something different and she hasn't written like that since.
Louise Mawson
I love Martina Cole and have read all her books but I struggled to finish this as its very repetitive from all her previous ones. I couldn't get into it. Think the London gangster scene has been over done now!!
Ruth
As enjoyable as ever. I always enjoy a good MC book but it is just the same story being told again in her brilliant way. I'm sure I will continue reading her books though for as long as she continues writing them.
Birgit
I read this book a while ago. EVIL EVIL woman, quite good, not as good as her earlier books. If you are in the mood for some mindless violence, bad bad people and lots of swearing this book is for you.
Di
Absolute garbage. Very violent, frequent and very course language. A very grim look into the London underground.
The blurb on the back of the book, definitely did not prepare me for what's inside.
Patsy
All Martina's book's all feel the same now, this one was so much like the last one (The Family) that I was confusing the characters. Glad I borrowed it from the library and hadn't bought it.
  • The Schemer
  • Dirty Game (Annie Carter #1)
  • Snatched
  • Dishonour
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • The Killing House (Malcolm Fletcher, #1)
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • Cold Shoulder (Lorraine Page, #1)
  • The Cutting (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #1)
  • Charity
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • No Turning Back
  • My Dad’s a Policeman
Martina Cole was born and brought up in Essex. She is the bestselling author of fourteen novels set in London's gangland, and her most recent three paperbacks have gone straight to No. 1 in the Sunday Times on first publication. Total sales of Martina's novels stand at over eight million copies.

More about Martina Cole...
The Ladykiller The Take Dangerous Lady (Maura Ryan, #1) The Runaway Two Women