Start by marking “Breathless ” as Want to Read:
Breathless

Breathless

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  308 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Award-winning author Laura Lee Guhrke steps back to a time of Southern propriety -- and passion -- in this thrilling page-turner laced with heated sensuality. A lawyer is reunited with an unforgettable lady from his past -- and together, they step into a web of small-town scandal and desire. Lily Morgan may be Shivaree, Georgia's most talked-about lady. Everyone in town kn ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published July 1st 1999 by Sonnet

To ask other readers questions about Breathless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathless

Dancechica
Jan 09, 2010 Dancechica rated it it was amazing
I did not want this book to end. I really enjoyed it. The characters were wonderfully developed and the story kept my full attention, which isn't always easy. The murder mystery was compelling and I enjoyed the portrayal of the trial. I did figure out the killer's identity before it was revealed but that's not unusual; I love trying to puzzle out the villain before the reveal.

The characters are what made the story for me, though. I really liked Lily and Daniel. Despite their vastly different bac
Manuela
Mar 04, 2014 Manuela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Head in the clouds
The thing about jerk heroes is that I think it speaks to the part of us that secretly want to be the one that changes him and be the special one that makes him stay; but just as importantly, these heroes are charismatic, enigmatic, sexually magnetic and are in need of healing and loving. For the first third of this book - or even more than that - I detested Daniel. He really was ruthless almost to the point of cruelty and seemed like he had no conscience. He almost admitted himself that he was ' ...more
Susan (the other Susan)
Tart and sweet as lemonade. Charming, original, witty and not terribly angst-ridden, Breathless is one of those rare vintage romances where I actually remember details of the plot and characters that don't involve rape, a Big Misunderstanding, or a WTF moment. There's plenty of tension between h/h, but no tiresome exchange of insults. Their reluctant romance, and her mistreatment by the disapproving townsfolk (she's a divorcee!) are enlightened by gentle humor, and a grudging but mutual respect ...more
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Jill Dunlop
Jun 10, 2010 Jill Dunlop rated it really liked it
Lily Morgan's reputation was ruined when her husband divorced her under grounds for adultery. Lily never cheated on her husband, if anything it was the other way around. But when Lily was put on the stand, Daniel Walker the hot shot lawyer twisted and turned her testimony until she did look guilty and the jury agreed. Every year on the anniversary of her divorce Lily goes down to the courthouse and makes an appeal to shut down the cathouse, which she believes was responsible for her husband's wa ...more
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, contemporary
I really enjoy this author. My first book I read of hers was "And Then He Kissed Her" which I loved and proceeded to go on a mission to find her entire back list. This was a good book. I do wish it would've had a stronger element of romance and less of a mystery.

Susana
This book is more along a 4,5 stars.
Laura lee Guhrke is without question, one of my favorite historical romance writers. I love her characters and her stories. Most of her books are on my favorite shelve. So, to say that i really loved this book is, almost a given fact. But, this one has something that i've never found in another one of her stories. The descriptions of the ambience in which the majority of this story takes place, in the beginning of the twentieth century were...completely outsta
Abby
Nov 05, 2009 Abby rated it liked it
I tend to be a bit of a subgenre snob in my romance reading. I like my heroines Western European, my heros the same, and I like a Western European setting. Breathless was a break from that and I am so glad that Super Librarian Wendy put me on the path of this book.

The best part of the novel was the setting and time period: 1905 Georgia. Awesome! Enough tension created by external factors like class and race, but modern enough to have a heroine with a real job (librarian - YAY!) and who's a divor
Judith
Sep 13, 2011 Judith rated it liked it
I must say that lawyers are not my first choice when thinking of a hero for a romance novel. Daniel Walker is the exception to that rule. He is brilliant, successful, gorgeous, and wounded from his childhood. What else is there to say? Lily is his best friend's ex-wife who he "destroyed" by his cross examination in her divorce trial. Interesting premise.

I enjoyed this town. The stereotypical townspeople, the scandals, the relationships, all were developed beautifully. My one critique is this. A
Aisyah
Oct 27, 2011 Aisyah rated it it was amazing
I love this book!! Its soo heart wrenching, sweet and just soo nice...

I adored Daniel, i think he is sweet even though he is a ruthless lawyer. But he's always nice to Liliy, despite Lily being his adversary.
And i love Lily too.. She is so strong and yet so vulnerable.

I love the window scenes, Amos, and the ending! Although i detected some similarity between the breakup scene here and in the 'and then he kissed her', i still feel it worked in both stories and loved it! Loved the marriage proposa
Bunga
Dec 09, 2014 Bunga rated it it was amazing
Kalo boleh jujur, saya ga ngerti kenapa judulnya Breathless. Ga begitu nyambung ama ceritanya, soalnya. Meski begitu, jujur novel ini adalah novel dari Laura Lee Guhrke yang bikin saya langsung jatuh cinta sejak halaman awal. KEREN ABIS!

Daniel Walker, seorang pengacara kaya, sukses, & ganteng (tipikal bgt...), selalu memenangkan setiap kasus yang ditanganinya. Suatu saat ia disewa untuk memenangkan kasus penutupan sebuah rumah bordil yang berkedok gentlemen club di kampung halamannya, Shiva
Amarilli Settantatre
da www.sognipensieriparole.com

Primo romanzo che leggo di Laura Lee Guhrke ed impressione nel complesso positiva.
La storia esce dai soliti stereotipi del romance tutto sospiri e crinoline, ed è ambientata in una sperduta cittadina americana agli inizi del novecento, con due chiese, una biblioteca, un saloon-ristorante e l’immancabile bordello di lusso, vera pietra dello scandalo in una società bigotta e molto provinciale (la Guhrke ha una prosa vivida e descrittiva, e quindi non è difficile imma
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
4 e 1/2

«Lily, sin da ragazzo ho desiderato
sempre e solo il successo. Vincere era l’unica cosa che contasse per me. Ma tu mi hai fatto capire
per la prima volta nella vita che il successo senza l’amore non ha senso. Senza di te, non ho vinto
niente.»

Bello, bello, bello! *ç* Dopo un paio di letture deludenti la Guhrke è stata come un'aria di ventata fresca e credo di poterla a buon diritto considerare una di quelle autrici "sicure" che raramente ti deludono ;D Come spesso accade nei suoi libri, i du
CrazyPenguinLady
I read this book a while back, but I can't remember what I would have rated it. I remember that I loved it, though.
Heather Tisdale
I really enjoyed the characters in this one.
Valerie
Nov 07, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Such a great read! The book's been beautifully written and the plot line was so entertaining. It got me accusing everyone for the murder of the girl, from Mary Alice to Dovey. Heck, I even thought, for a split second, that Amos did it! I started suspecting the real killer almost as his identity was revealed - kind of late. The main characters ending up together was predictable but then again that's why I'm a romance novel junkie - because I like to know that they lived happily ever after!
EB
Nov 21, 2013 EB rated it really liked it
I love Laura Lee Guhrke. She writes such wonderful female characters. Self-possessed, flawed, but well-rounded and so damned likable. Her males are also pretty atypical for most of the romance world. They're actually, god forbid, pretty damned considerate. There's never any "wow this is skirting way too close to the edge of rape" for my tastes in her books. (Or not the ones I've read thus far anyway.)

Not to mention that this book does something that a lot of romance novels don't do very well: it
Carrie
4/5
Would be 4.5 but the ebook had a lot of editing mistakes possibly from scanning ("lie" appearing as "he" was a very common one and "CINE" for "clue"). Great story otherwise.
Rachael
May 27, 2014 Rachael rated it really liked it
Extremely well-written book with well-drawn characters. Nice development of the love story between the two characters -- they first had to learn to respect each other.
lia
Feb 18, 2013 lia rated it liked it
I read this a long way back when I was on LLG binge. The set is promising and different. It is like a breath of fresh air among the Victorian and Regency's world of historical romance. I truly like Lily and Daniel.

But as a romance book it is sadly lacking in the romance department. And in the end Daniel has not redeemed himself enough to Lily. So sadly, a 3 stars book.

P.s. There's no cover of this book in Goodreads. I wonder....

For you out there who hasn't read the book yet, this is the cover
Jadzia
Sep 20, 2012 Jadzia rated it really liked it
A masterpiece. Both heroine and hero have their past and they both are doing what they can to deal with it. Lily is a devorcee who can't find her place in the little community she lives in. Daniel is a lawyer who started from the very bottom of the social ladder and now wants to run for the senator position. They know each other and once again they are standing on the opposite sides of the conflict - that is, before the murder. The sparks are flying even though it isn't before the last parts of ...more
keikohuchica
Feb 02, 2014 keikohuchica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bel romance storico....come l'ambizione di un uomo viene ridimensionata e sconfitta dall'amore per una donna
keikohuchica
Feb 02, 2014 keikohuchica rated it really liked it
Martina Nix Govoni
Sono un po' indecisa sul giudizio, in questo caso. Da un lato mi ha lasciato un mucchio di belle sensazioni, ma dall'altro mi è sembrato troppo semplicistico, soprattutto per quanto riguarda la parte del giallo.
E' un buonissimo romanzo. Questo è indubbio. Ma mi sono sentita un po' su un'altalena. La parte bellissima dei loro battibecchi, il rapporto che si aggiusta e cresce. La parte meno convincente del giallo.
Resta una buonissima lettura, ma mi aspettavo un po' di più.
Denise
Dec 26, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
I loved the chemistry between Lily and Daniel. I haven't read many books in the time frame of this story (1905) Lily's reputation was shattered when her husband divorced her, a big no-no in that time. My heart went out to her as her marriage problems were all due to her husbands infidelity and wild ways. This book had a great plot, great characters, sizzling romance and a wonderful ending.
Kathy
Oct 24, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
I thought the first 3/4 of the book rated a 3 star but the ending was a "feel good" 4-star ending, so if I could, I'd give it a solid 3.5. I solved the mystery part of the story early early on so there wasn't much suspense involved.
Sedoo Ashivor
Feb 15, 2016 Sedoo Ashivor rated it it was amazing
Sweetly romantic. Excellent writing. I believed all the legalese. I'm glad I read this. LLG didn't overly dwell on the romance but it still worked. It was just so sweet how Daniel fell for Lily.
Mokona
Sep 18, 2014 Mokona rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
  • Garters (Small Town Swains)
  • Beau Crusoe
  • Dance (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #2)
  • Allie's Moon
  • I Do, I Do, I Do
  • Parting Gifts
  • The Bad Man's Bride (Marrying Miss Bright, #1)
  • Libertine's Kiss (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #1)
  • September Moon
  • Mistress of the Night
  • To Love a Dark Lord
  • The Price Of Desire
  • A Lily Among Thorns
  • The Bridal Season (Bridal Stories, #1)
  • Seducing the Duchess
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • Thief of Dreams
From the publication of her very first historical romance, Laura Lee Guhrke has received numerous honors and critical acclaim for her novels and her writing style. She has been honored with the most prestigious award of romance fiction, the Romance Writers of America Rita Award, and she has received additional awards from Romantic Times and All About Romance. Romantic Times has proclaimed her, “On ...more
More about Laura Lee Guhrke...

“She averted her eyes from his naked chest and reached up to close her window. He lifted his arms, curling his hands around the sash of his own window. Between his upraised arms, he stared at her, and his smile widened. "What's wrong, Lily? Are you shutting your window because you're afraid I'll breathe the same air you do?"
She met his gaze across the short distance that separated them. "I didn't know leeches could breathe." He didn't get angry at the insult. Instead, he laughed. "You're a worthy opponent. I don't think I've ever met a woman with a quicker wit than you. If you'd been a man, there's no telling what you might have accomplished."
"If I'd been a man, I'd have called you out in the fine old Southern tradition five years ago and shot you. That would have been a fine accomplishment." She slammed the window shut and closed the curtains. Daniel was right, of course. Within minutes, the room became suffocatingly hot.
She desperately wanted to open the window again, but she didn't want to give him any victory, no matter how small. So, she waited in the dark as her bedroom became an oven, listening to the clock on her dressing table tick away the minutes. When the clock chimed the quarter hour twice, she got out of bed and walked to the window. He was sure to be asleep by now. She slipped the curtains open, and as quietly as possible, she raised the sash.
"Told you so," a sleepy male voice murmured.
Lord, she hated him.”