Start by marking “Briana's Gift” as Want to Read:
Briana's Gift

Briana's Gift

Thirteen-year-old Casey's mother always said that Casey's sixteen-year-old sister marched to the beat of a different drummer. But it isn't until Briana runs away with an older boy that Casey begins to understand what her mother meant. When Briana returns home alone and pregnant, Casey and her mother try to help Briana come to terms with her options.

It was already complicat
Published October 10th 2006 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Briana's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Briana's Gift

Someone Like You by Sarah DessenForever by Judy BlumeDreamland by Sarah DessenGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksPerfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
YA Sex & Pregnancy Novels
69th out of 283 books — 585 voters
Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDanielSix Months to Live by Lurlene McDanielSo Much to Live For by Lurlene McDanielA Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDanielI Want to Live by Lurlene McDaniel
Lurlene McDaniel Novels
44th out of 62 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Darius Christian
Briana's gift is about 17 year old Brianna who doesn't exactly want to live the life her mom wants. From partying to moving to LA with her boyfriend, Briana returns home pregnant and alone. When they find out they try to sort through their options, Briana has a serious accident where her brain aneurysm ruptures. She's pronounced brain dead when arriving to the hospital and her family is left with the choice to let her live on a ventilator or pull the plug. They let her be on the life support unt ...more
Sierra Eggleston (Geek&Glitter)
This book was ridiculous. I've never read anything else by Lurlene McDaniel, but she's my coworker's favorite author, and she lent me this book because I liked The Fault in Our Stars and The Probability of Miracles. I read it to the end, hoping something would redeem it, but no. The writing was awful. It was simplistic, filled with unnecessary flowery descriptions of random things, and the narrator kept switching voices annoyingly. The characters were cardboard and just irritatingly stupid. If t ...more
Jessica Lowman
Aug 31, 2012 Jessica Lowman rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Lurlene McDaniel is one of my favorite authors. It starts with 17 year old Briana running off with her boyfriend and then coming back pregnant. She wanted to keep her baby and it surprised me when she died. I thought she was going to have a happy life with her baby. I would defiantly recommend to book to anyone.
Anna Motteler
Sep 06, 2010 Anna Motteler rated it it was amazing
Such a cute/sweet read, it was short but it was memorable, I can promise you that. The love between the two sisters really tugs at your heart and makes you wonder what you would do in Sissy's shoes.
alyssa
Dec 12, 2008 alyssa rated it it was ok
Shelves: q2-2008
did not like it. her books is always the same background. need to change it up a bit. change the settings or something intersting, mysterious.
Kimberly
3.5 Stars

First off let me say that this really wasn't my favourite book by Lurlene Mcdaniel at all but I did like it. I liked it because this book while not being her strongest work in my opinion it is written in the usual way most of her older books were written in being from a first person point of view.

I liked Sissy though I hated her name but I found her mother to be an irritating woman who just because her one teenage daughter (Briana) got pregnant it was as if she had forgotten that she ev
Veronica
Dec 24, 2009 Veronica rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of Lurlene McDaniel's writing, but this was just disappointing. There is a bit of a repetitive pattern to her books, but her writing usually creative enough to make the stories enjoyable. While the plot for this story did seem a bit different from her usual work, the writing was absolutely atrocious. I found the book rather difficult to read. I initially thought this was one of her earlier, older works, so I forgave her for the lackluster writing only to find this is actually a fai ...more
Miss Kitty
Nov 07, 2007 Miss Kitty rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of YA weepies
Gosh, I do love me some Lurlene McDaniel. Ever since I first read copies of The Secret Life of Steffie Martin and Will I Ever Dance Again? that I got from the school book fair in the third or fourth grade I’ve been an addict. Having said all that, I think that Lurlene is kinda sappy. Actually, not kinda but for reals sappy. But I get the feeling she doesn’t really care what I think. So I’ll just review this book.
There’s this teenager girl named Briana, see? And she has this wicked penchant for
Tessie
May 13, 2012 Tessie rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, have-in-swedish
At first I was surprised to see a book written by one of my favorite authors that was about a teenage pregnancy, but I soon realized that Lurlene haven't abandoned her usual stories.

Briana was running away in December and returns a year later with a surprise. Her boyfriend left her with no place to go and with a baby in her stomach. Her only option is to come home again and try to convince her mother to help her.

In the beginning was everything normal, and it was told from her little sister's po
Ella Perkins
Nov 22, 2009 Ella Perkins rated it it was amazing
Thirteen-year-old Sissy’s mother said that Sissy’s sixteen-year-old sister had a mind of her own. When running off with her “perfect” boyfriend, getting married, and ending up pregnant with an illness. This wasn’t the life that her mother wanted her to have. Sissy needs to grow up faster to be able to take care of her older sister and her mother who is just about done with the nonsense.

While reading this book I notice a text to world connection. Many girls like Briana had gotten pregnant at the
Natalie
May 20, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book it's sad but it's still a good book. Casey's older sister Briana ran away from home but a few years later comes back but she ends up getting pregnant and her boyfriend end up leaving her. She doesn't want the baby because she knows life is gonna be hard with a baby but her mom gives her reasons why she should have it. Later they find some very depressing new about Briana and have to move with their life's.
Caroline Fosse
Jul 23, 2014 Caroline Fosse rated it it was ok
2.5

I remember being in a book club, and of all the books I got, this was my favorite. This is the only one I kept, and I read this in norwegian because I didn't like english books at the time. This is a quick read, I re-read this in a couple of hours, and it's still as amazing as I remembered. But since I read it in norwegian and the translation kindof sucks I wont give it more than 2.5 stars. But again, the story is amazing.
Mary Bronson
Oct 30, 2014 Mary Bronson rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book. I really enjoyed reading it. This was a heartwarming and heartbreaking book. I loved the characters and plot of the story, Casey was such a great character and what she and her family went through was tough, but regardless of the outcome of the situation Casey got through it with the help from her family and friends.
Rob
Jun 12, 2010 Rob rated it it was ok
Casey lives with her mother and her sister, Brianna, who according to mother "marches to the beat of a different drummer." Brianna runs away from home, only to come home a few months later. Pregnant. The mother tries to help her daughter think through the decisions she'll have to make in the near future, and things get complicated. Everybody is profoundly impacted, and lives are changed.

I felt like there was a lot of fluff in this novel. The narrator, a young girl, is very naive and never really
Carole
Sep 15, 2014 Carole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Sissy's family has had bad luck with December--her father died in an accident, her mother found out she had rheumatoid arthritis and had to change to working at home, and Sissy's sister seventeen-year-old Briana ran away to Los Angeles with her boyfriend and returned home unmarried and pregnant.
Jacky Espinoza
Its a very thrilling book like you couldn't really predict what was going on so it was pretty exciting.
$hanel
Apr 27, 2010 $hanel rated it it was amazing
13 year old Susanna and her 17 year old sister named Briana (but her Mum and her call her Bree for short) have been trying to get over the fact that their father is dead. Briana is the one who can grow up and move on. Briana leaves the house in Tenessee so she can go with her boyfriend Jerry Stevens to L.A. where they plan to get married and find jobs together. When Briana comes home about 8 months later she has a surprise for Susanna and her Mum. The surprise brings a lot of pressure to the sma ...more
Melenia Gibson
Decent read; although, it wrapped up to quickly to satisfy me.
Denisse
Aug 23, 2013 Denisse rated it it was amazing
I've read this book (in one sitting) a long time ago when I was at Fully-Booked. This book is very touching. It's about a story of a girl who has a sister named Briana. I don't want to spoil the story T_T.

Anyways, the story goes when her sister passed away while she and the rest of her family are having a hard time going on with their lives. But her baby was still inside her. They kept the baby alive through machines and when the baby was born, they named the baby ****. And that is how he/she i
Christy Johnston
Mar 20, 2016 Christy Johnston rated it it was amazing
Made me sad
Paige
Feb 21, 2013 Paige rated it did not like it
Brianna K
Dec 22, 2010 Brianna K rated it it was amazing
In this book Briana runs off to California when she was 16. When she returned she announces she is pregnant. Her and her family don't know what to do. Her decisions have to come to a hault when she collapses working in Walmart. The doctors don't know what they will be able to do. I would recommend this book to any girl because it shows you something that could actually happen in real life, and some consequences that follow!
Sherina Roten
Mar 16, 2013 Sherina Roten rated it liked it
Briana runs off with her boyfriend, and got pregnant. Her boyfriend lefted her, she ran back home and wanted to stay. She wanted to make a good life for her baby, so she got a job. Briana becomes ill while at work. They tell her sister and mom that she she breathing off of a machine to keep the baby alive. Her sister wants to keep Brianas baby. Briana died and her mom gave up her only grandchild.
Heidi
Feb 04, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
An inspirational novel sure to be a hit with teen girls. Sissy, 13, misses her older sister Briana who ran off with her boyfriend. She returns home pregnant and is welcomed home. Tragedy follows but hope is an underlying theme. A quick read with a satisfying conclusion.
Rebecca H.
Nov 13, 2007 Rebecca H. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sad books full of twists
This book starts off with a prenant teen, briana, and her sister, sissy. Sissy is having all these mixed feelings with her best friend and feels like her life is just so complicated. But, after Briana suffers an accident, suddenly her life gets alot more complicated
Jessica
This book is amazing. I just wanted a quick read for after skiing so i chose this one. As soon as i started it, I could not put it down. Lurlene McDaniel is a fantastic author especially if you like sad books that are extremely well written.
Jojo
Sep 04, 2010 Jojo rated it liked it
Shelves: great-books
I have read this book when I was 9, I am now 14 and I still like it. I have now read bigger and better books, but I will always love this story. the story is heart felt and sad with a good plot, but the ending is predictable and simple.
Bri Hogue
Breana leaves behind a woundeful gift her mother and sister. She give her daught the love she needs. After grieving over Breanna They new they would always have a part of her in the child she had
Devon
Aug 24, 2008 Devon rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Umm....People that have no brain
Briana's Gift is really boring. I thought it was Lurlene's worst so far. But it had a great moral though. Kind of a cheesy "everything's working out perfectly" ending.
Hannah
May 30, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-drama
This is a good book.very much like a hallmark movie. Its sad,but yet inspirational how Sissy (Susanna) is determined to keep and care for her sister's baby.
  • American Virgin, Volume 4: Around The World
  • Shadows of the Past (Whispers of a Legend #1)
  • Primeval: Extinction Event
  • Raptor
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • Prince of Pirates (Sebastian Darke, #2)
  • The Murder on the Links (Agatha Christie Comic Strip)
  • In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars, #2)
  • The Best and Hardest Thing
  • Chibi Vampire, Vol. 10
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • Fevre Dream
  • Hanging on to Max
  • Sølvhesten (Katriona-serien, #1)
  • Friends: Stories About New Friends, Old Friends, And Unexpectedly True Friends
  • Mystery Society
  • Powers
  • Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1: A Sea of Troubles
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...