Start by marking “When a Man Loves a Woman” as Want to Read:
When a Man Loves a Woman

When a Man Loves a Woman

Ever since their medical school days, James Elliot and Deborah Brody have been best friends and colleagues. Deborah has been married for the past 20 years to Max, but no one understands her like Elliot.

Tragedy strikes when Max dies of a heart attack. Deb is emotionally shattered. Elliot comforts her as best he can, but comfort unexpectedly leads to a night of passion.

Ell
Kindle Edition, Enhanced Multimedia Edition, 306 pages
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about When a Man Loves a Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Man Loves a Woman

Julianna
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

I am usually a huge fan of best friends romances, so that is what caught my eye and made me want to read When a Man Loves a Woman. With that theme, I really thought I would enjoy the story, but ultimately it fell extremely flat for me. The book got off to a decent start, but the further I got into the story, the more I kept thinking, “Where was the editor?”. In my opinion, the book had good potential, and might have actually been good, if it had been about half the
Lyuda
Sep 24, 2015 Lyuda added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 2% - a record!
I just couldn't pass the absurdity of the first couple of pages.

Imagine a heroine laying in bed tossing and turning until 4 am, worrying about not getting a medical residence placement she'd requested. She doesn't turn to her husband with her worry, even though she loves him and he loves her back and he is right there sleeping besides her. What does she do instead? Why, getting up at 4 am to visit her best friend (male, single) because he is the only one who can help her wi
Anne OK
Apr 04, 2010 Anne OK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
SPOILER ALERT: My one and only complaint with this book was that they made love for the first time on the day of her husband's funeral. To me, this just overshadowed the tenderness and joy of their own special relationship.
Marlene
Feb 05, 2012 Marlene rated it really liked it
When a Man Loves a Woman is the title of a classic song from 1966 by Percy Sledge. It's also the title of an enhanced ebook by Alina Adams. What's an enhanced ebook? An enhanced ebook has added content from other media. In the case of this particular book, the added content happens to be music videos. Appropriately, one of the music videos is Percy Sledge singing the title track.

But what about the story? The story is also a classic. James Elliot met Deb Brody in med school and fell instantly in
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
When A Man Loves A Woman is a character driven novel about the complicated relationship between De James Elliot and Dr Deborah Brody.
Best friends since med school, the pair have been always close but the relationship has remained strictly platonic for more than twenty years because Deborah was already married. When Max dies suddenly, Elliot is the one Deborah turns to for comfort but their repressed desire spirals out of control and they make love the night of Max's funeral. In the aftermath, D
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, contemporary
I write this review with such mixed emotions. I really wanted to love this book, but there were just too many thing that made that impossible. I won't rehash the plot, but I'll give you my 2 cents!

What worked:
1. Alina Adam's writing. Her writing is addicting. It's so down to earth, filled with emotion, and realistic, that you feel like you're watching a movie instead of reading a book.
2. James Elliot's love for Deb Brody. It really is amazing in it's intensity and staying power.
3. The "medic
Star
Apr 13, 2012 Star rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review is for the Multimedia Enhanced E-book:

Drs. Brody and Elliot have been best friends for over twenty years, from the time they met in med school, when the unthinkable happens to Brody – her husband passes away. She needs to lean on her best friend, Elliot, but is afraid of losing him as she lost her husband. What Brody doesn’t know is that Elliot has loved her for the last twenty years. When something unexpected happens, Brody isn’t sure what to do except make sure that her friendship with
Amy
Oct 15, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I haven't read a book for my own personal enjoyment since this summer because of how busy college has been. It's fall break, and though I have a lot on my mind and things to do, I ended up reading this free book on my kindle. It gave me time to just relax and think (about life). I can't believe it, but it's been awhile since I've flown through a book this quickly-less than 24 hours. I started last night and ended this afternoon.

I can't say it was a super exciting read, but because where I am rig
Michelle
Jun 20, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was looooonnnngggg. I just wanted it to end. I had multiple problems with this book. I had a hard time with the concept that the H/h were "best" friends when she was married. She'd leave her bed in the middle of the night to go to his house for emotional support. Couldn't believe that the husband would put up with this either. I liked the concept that he had loved her for 20 years, but as the book went along I wondered why. She was whiny and difficult, then came out and told him that s ...more
Linda
Jul 03, 2012 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For being an intelligent, successful doctor, Dr. Brody is needy, selfish and a whiner. If Dr. Elliott could pine for her for 20 years then he must be the saint.

I loved the premise of the story and enjoyed reading it except for getting irritated with Dr. Brody. But, if a book can inspire emotions, then I believe it accomplished what the author intended. However, the irritation is the reason I am only giving it 3 stars - if I could do a half, then it would have been 3 and a half.

The unresolved con
Glynis Smy
I enjoyed this medical love story it was quite different from many I have read. I could see this as a movie. It reminded me of a something from Greys Anatomy.

Two high IQ doctors have a deep friendship. One is married and the other single. Nothing can keep them apart when either one needs help and support...until *no spoilers from me*

Wanda
Sep 19, 2010 Wanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James and Deborah. Doctors and lifetime friends become more.
Cher Long
Nov 22, 2016 Cher Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the snarky dialogue and intelligence behind the characters in this book, at times I wanted the story to get on with the point.
Natalie Steffy
Natalie Steffy rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Shelly
Shelly rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Karina
Karina rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Beauty and the Book
Beauty and the Book rated it really liked it
May 29, 2012
Rashika Deo
Rashika Deo rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2014
Rose C
Rose C rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2017
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2010
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Vivian
Vivian rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Ashley Pinkston
Ashley Pinkston rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2015
Miki
Miki rated it it was ok
May 15, 2009
Cynde
Cynde rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Sasha Field
Sasha Field rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Bridget Hively
Bridget Hively rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Jen_C
Jen_C rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Michelle Owens
Michelle Owens rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Alina Adams is Jewish, lives on the East Coast, married with two kids and is the author of Berkley Prime Crime's "Figure Skating Mysteries," including "Murder on Ice," "On Thin Ice," and coming in January 2006 "Axel of Evil!"
More about Alina Adams...