Start by marking “When a Man Loves a Woman” as Want to Read:
When a Man Loves a Woman

When a Man Loves a Woman

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Ever since their medical school days, James Elliot and Deborah Brody have been best friends and colleagues. Deborah has been married for the past 20 years to Max, but no one understands her like Elliot.

Tragedy strikes when Max dies of a heart attack. Deb is emotionally shattered. Elliot comforts her as best he can, but comfort unexpectedly leads to a night of passion.

Ell...more
Kindle Edition, Enhanced Multimedia Edition, 306 pages
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about When a Man Loves a Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Man Loves a Woman

Julianna
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

I am usually a huge fan of best friends romances, so that is what caught my eye and made me want to read When a Man Loves a Woman. With that theme, I really thought I would enjoy the story, but ultimately it fell extremely flat for me. The book got off to a decent start, but the further I got into the story, the more I kept thinking, “Where was the editor?”. In my opinion, the book had good potential, and might have actually been good, if it had been about half the...more
Anne OK
SPOILER ALERT: My one and only complaint with this book was that they made love for the first time on the day of her husband's funeral. To me, this just overshadowed the tenderness and joy of their own special relationship.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
When A Man Loves A Woman is a character driven novel about the complicated relationship between De James Elliot and Dr Deborah Brody.
Best friends since med school, the pair have been always close but the relationship has remained strictly platonic for more than twenty years because Deborah was already married. When Max dies suddenly, Elliot is the one Deborah turns to for comfort but their repressed desire spirals out of control and they make love the night of Max's funeral. In the aftermath, D...more
Crista
I write this review with such mixed emotions. I really wanted to love this book, but there were just too many thing that made that impossible. I won't rehash the plot, but I'll give you my 2 cents!

What worked:
1. Alina Adam's writing. Her writing is addicting. It's so down to earth, filled with emotion, and realistic, that you feel like you're watching a movie instead of reading a book.
2. James Elliot's love for Deb Brody. It really is amazing in it's intensity and staying power.
3. The "medic...more
Marlene
When a Man Loves a Woman is the title of a classic song from 1966 by Percy Sledge. It's also the title of an enhanced ebook by Alina Adams. What's an enhanced ebook? An enhanced ebook has added content from other media. In the case of this particular book, the added content happens to be music videos. Appropriately, one of the music videos is Percy Sledge singing the title track.

But what about the story? The story is also a classic. James Elliot met Deb Brody in med school and fell instantly in...more
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Review is for the Multimedia Enhanced E-book:

Drs. Brody and Elliot have been best friends for over twenty years, from the time they met in med school, when the unthinkable happens to Brody – her husband passes away. She needs to lean on her best friend, Elliot, but is afraid of losing him as she lost her husband. What Brody doesn’t know is that Elliot has loved her for the last twenty years. When something unexpected happens, Brody isn’t sure what to do except make sure that her friendship with...more
Amy
I haven't read a book for my own personal enjoyment since this summer because of how busy college has been. It's fall break, and though I have a lot on my mind and things to do, I ended up reading this free book on my kindle. It gave me time to just relax and think (about life). I can't believe it, but it's been awhile since I've flown through a book this quickly-less than 24 hours. I started last night and ended this afternoon.

I can't say it was a super exciting read, but because where I am rig...more
Linda
For being an intelligent, successful doctor, Dr. Brody is needy, selfish and a whiner. If Dr. Elliott could pine for her for 20 years then he must be the saint.

I loved the premise of the story and enjoyed reading it except for getting irritated with Dr. Brody. But, if a book can inspire emotions, then I believe it accomplished what the author intended. However, the irritation is the reason I am only giving it 3 stars - if I could do a half, then it would have been 3 and a half.

The unresolved con...more
Glynis Smy
I enjoyed this medical love story it was quite different from many I have read. I could see this as a movie. It reminded me of a something from Greys Anatomy.

Two high IQ doctors have a deep friendship. One is married and the other single. Nothing can keep them apart when either one needs help and support...until *no spoilers from me*

Nefret
Eine süße Geschichte, auch wenn sie in der Mitte einen kleinen Durchhänger hat.
Wanda
James and Deborah. Doctors and lifetime friends become more.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Tianne Shaw
Tianne Shaw marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Mwinji Soko
Mwinji Soko marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
namericanwordcat
namericanwordcat marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Sandie
Sandie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Tricia Conner
Tricia Conner marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Gina Hott
Gina Hott marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alina Adams is Jewish, lives on the East Coast, married with two kids and is the author of Berkley Prime Crime's "Figure Skating Mysteries," including "Murder on Ice," "On Thin Ice," and coming in January 2006 "Axel of Evil!"
More about Alina Adams...
Murder on Ice (A Figure Skating Mystery #1) On Thin Ice (A Figure Skating Mystery, #2) Axel of Evil (A Figure Skating Mystery, #3) Death Drop (A Figure Skating Mystery, #4) Skate Crime (A Figure Skating Mystery, #5)