Start by marking “Paul's Letter to the Philippians” as Want to Read:
Paul's Letter to the Philippians

Paul's Letter to the Philippians (The New International Commentary on the New Testament)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"“. . . undertaken to provide earnest students of the New Testament with an exposition that is thorough and abreast of modern scholarship and at the same time loyal to the Scriptures as the infallible Word of God.”"This statement reflects the underlying purpose of The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Begun in the late 1940s by an international team of New ...more
Published July 14th 1995 by Eerdmans

To ask other readers questions about Paul's Letter to the Philippians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul's Letter to the Philippians

Charles Puskas
Jul 25, 2013 Charles Puskas rated it really liked it
I am leading a Bible study for church leaders on Philippians at a local coffee shop (June-July, 2013)and find Fee's concern for the rhetorical and logical flow of the letter (providing a detailed & defensible outline of the entire letter) plus the definition of Greek words in context to be very helpful. I am still uncertain about the place of writing (i.e., Rome, Ephesus, or Caesarea) and thus tentative about dating the epistle (i.e., AD 55, 49,or 50). Although I have some doubts about the u ...more
James Korsmo
Aug 03, 2011 James Korsmo rated it it was amazing
Paul's Letter to the Philippians by Gordon Fee is in the New International Commentary on the New Testament (NICNT) series published by Eerdmans. In this important commentary on this gem of a letter, Fee delves deeply into Paul's thought and Paul's world. I deeply enjoyed reading Fee's exposition, and was continually challenged by Paul's deep faith and his unflagging focus on Jesus Christ.

Fee surveys the important issues in the interpretation of Philippians, in constant dialogue (mostly in the no
David S. T.
Jan 15, 2015 David S. T. rated it really liked it
I had this idea to read through commentaries on every book of the bible in 5 years time..I made it through this one and realized that I don't care enough to accomplish my goal. I'll probably still at least read some on Isaiah and Genesis (assuming it get into the ancient near east comparisons). As for this book its conservative and pretty good, Fee is a Pentecostal but for the most part I don't think that he has very evident biases (although I'm sure its more there in a book like 1 Cor.). Really ...more
Jonathan McIntosh
Jan 06, 2012 Jonathan McIntosh rated it really liked it
Shelves: sermon-study
My favorite commentary on Philippians. It is thick and scholarly, but warm & passionate. Fee's (and Paul's) love for and commitment to Jesus Christ come out on almost every page.

The last paragraph:
"To live is Christ; to die is to gain Christ; and for the sake of such 'gain,' namely the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus as one's own Lord, all else is merely refuse. Thus, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all the readers of this letter, and with those who use this commentar
Lindsay Kennedy
Jan 24, 2012 Lindsay Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Very thorough and comprehensive. If someone were to buy only one Philippians commentary I'd highly recommend this one. The layout is extremely helpful, with mroe technical footnotes on the bottom of the page, and a more fluid commentary in the body of the page. This was very readable.

A few disclaimers: Fee comes from more of a solid Pentecostal (wih differences) perspective. He also is an egalitarian and that shows up in some of his presuppositions, but is never really defended.
Adam
Mar 25, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it
Comprehensive, lucid and compelling interpretation at most points. I look forward to reading more Fee.
Cbarrett
Jan 15, 2011 Cbarrett rated it really liked it
This is probably the first commentary I ever "mostly" read cover to cover. Is it possible to describe a commentary as an "I can't put it down" kind of a book?
Brian
Mar 02, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
Spot-read while preaching through Philippians. Excellent!
Deana Armstrong
Deana Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Karlene Rowe
Karlene Rowe rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Curtis
Curtis marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Zscribbles
Zscribbles marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Chandler
Chandler is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Roger
Roger rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Craig Brock
Craig Brock rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
michael shafran
michael shafran rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Craig
Craig added it
May 04, 2016
Lisa S.
Lisa S. rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Jonathan Skipper
Jonathan Skipper is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
CARLOS IRIARTE
CARLOS IRIARTE rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Ryan Brandenberger
Ryan Brandenberger marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Becky Hintz
Becky Hintz rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
  • The Epistle to the Hebrews
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Book of Revelation, Revised
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel according to John
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • The Book of Leviticus (New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
  • Romans
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Stories with Intent: A Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus
  • The Book Of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text (NIGTC)
  • Acts (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 1-15
  • The Epistles of Paul to the Colossians and Philemon (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
Gordon Fee is Professor Emeritus of New Testament at Regent College, where he taught for sixteen years. His teaching experience also includes serving schools in Washington, California, Kentucky, as well as Wheaton College in Illinois (five years) and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts (twelve years).

Gordon Fee is a noted New Testament scholar, having published several books and
More about Gordon D. Fee...

The New International Commentary on the New Testament (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel of Luke