Start by marking “Paul's Letter to the Philippians” as Want to Read:
Paul's Letter to the Philippians

Paul's Letter to the Philippians (The New International Commentary on the New Testament)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  8 reviews
. . . undertaken to provide earnest students of the New Testament with an exposition that is thorough and abreast of modern scholarship and at the same time loyal to the Scriptures as the infallible Word of God. This statement reflects the underlying purpose of The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Begun in the late 1940s by an international team of New Te ...more
Published July 14th 1995 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Paul's Letter to the Philippians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul's Letter to the Philippians

Charles Puskas
I am leading a Bible study for church leaders on Philippians at a local coffee shop (June-July, 2013)and find Fee's concern for the rhetorical and logical flow of the letter (providing a detailed & defensible outline of the entire letter) plus the definition of Greek words in context to be very helpful. I am still uncertain about the place of writing (i.e., Rome, Ephesus, or Caesarea) and thus tentative about dating the epistle (i.e., AD 55, 49,or 50). Although I have some doubts about the u ...more
James Korsmo
Paul's Letter to the Philippians by Gordon Fee is in the New International Commentary on the New Testament (NICNT) series published by Eerdmans. In this important commentary on this gem of a letter, Fee delves deeply into Paul's thought and Paul's world. I deeply enjoyed reading Fee's exposition, and was continually challenged by Paul's deep faith and his unflagging focus on Jesus Christ.

Fee surveys the important issues in the interpretation of Philippians, in constant dialogue (mostly in the no
David S. T.
I had this idea to read through commentaries on every book of the bible in 5 years time..I made it through this one and realized that I don't care enough to accomplish my goal. I'll probably still at least read some on Isaiah and Genesis (assuming it get into the ancient near east comparisons). As for this book its conservative and pretty good, Fee is a Pentecostal but for the most part I don't think that he has very evident biases (although I'm sure its more there in a book like 1 Cor.). Really ...more
Jonathan McIntosh
My favorite commentary on Philippians. It is thick and scholarly, but warm & passionate. Fee's (and Paul's) love for and commitment to Jesus Christ come out on almost every page.

The last paragraph:
"To live is Christ; to die is to gain Christ; and for the sake of such 'gain,' namely the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus as one's own Lord, all else is merely refuse. Thus, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all the readers of this letter, and with those who use this commentar
Lindsay Kennedy
Very thorough and comprehensive. If someone were to buy only one Philippians commentary I'd highly recommend this one. The layout is extremely helpful, with mroe technical footnotes on the bottom of the page, and a more fluid commentary in the body of the page. This was very readable.

A few disclaimers: Fee comes from more of a solid Pentecostal (wih differences) perspective. He also is an egalitarian and that shows up in some of his presuppositions, but is never really defended.
Comprehensive, lucid and compelling interpretation at most points. I look forward to reading more Fee.
This is probably the first commentary I ever "mostly" read cover to cover. Is it possible to describe a commentary as an "I can't put it down" kind of a book?
Spot-read while preaching through Philippians. Excellent!
Ariel Bollant
Ariel Bollant marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Brian Antonio
Brian Antonio marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Philip added it
Nov 06, 2015
Samuel Benninghoff
Samuel Benninghoff marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Chalsea marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Chris Nicholson
Chris Nicholson marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Derik Chan
Derik Chan marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Anthony Lyons
Anthony Lyons marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
John added it
Sep 10, 2015
Andre Groenendijk
Andre Groenendijk marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Heath Waldeier
Heath Waldeier marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Romie Daniel
Romie Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • Romans
  • Leviticus
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Stories with Intent: A Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • The Book Of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text (NIGTC)
  • The Epistles of Paul to the Colossians and Philemon (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Luke
  • Genesis
Gordon Fee is Professor Emeritus of New Testament at Regent College, where he taught for sixteen years. His teaching experience also includes serving schools in Washington, California, Kentucky, as well as Wheaton College in Illinois (five years) and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts (twelve years).

Gordon Fee is a noted New Testament scholar, having published several books and
More about Gordon D. Fee...

The New International Commentary on the New Testament (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel of Luke