Start by marking “A Concealed Hand” as Want to Read:
A Concealed Hand

A Concealed Hand

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Bernie has about had it with his wife, and about forty years of her berating insults and over-seasoned cooking are about to come to a head during their regular Sunday canasta game, when he discovers that the only reason she's winning is because she's cheating.

Loaded with absurdly dark humor and capped off with an ending that chills to the bone, A CONCEALED HAND shows how q
Published August 7th 2011

To ask other readers questions about A Concealed Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Concealed Hand

Vix
Poor Bernard he is beer soaked and trying to play Canasta with Priscilla, his wife. Even her shuffle style is getting on his nerves, and he thinks she is cheating, why else would he have to stir the dog food looking stew during a shuffle!
As murderous thoughts dance across his brain you can feel the tension in the room, almost like you are at the table with them, as AMD does her marvelous writing trick of putting you at the table with her brilliant descriptions!

You get a real flavour of the rest
Kim
I'll admit I know nothing about Canasta, other than it's how my parents passed the time. But, just like any other couple in a long-term relationship, I do understand competing with your partner. As I was reading this story, I kept thinking it would make a wonderful episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". I loved it. In addition to the subject matter, the words chosen by the author again remind me that the sharper the word choice, the more vivid the image in the reader's head. This is an art that ...more
A
Jan 18, 2014 A rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-books
"My sanity knows what a grotesque sideshow this is turning into, but it just sits back horrified and fascinated."

Ha, what a wonderfully sadistic read. Dickson's way with building up the story, showing all the little things that can wear on a person's nerves after 40 years of marriage, was exquisite. I would suggest this to anyone in the mood for a quick read with a lot of bang. Definitely an author I'll read again.
dollmatic
I'm a big fan of dark humor, and in that regard, this short is disturbingly satisfying! A card game simply must be finished; no ifs, buts, or...death. This woman needs her own little television series already, something like Masters of Horror or the throwback Creepshow! I would love to see her little macabre gems come to life.
Angel **Book Junkie**
For 16 pages, this story got me going! It had me jumping at everything I heard and it was pretty funny. Dude really wanted to kill his wife over a game of cards funny thing is 4 pages in I wanted to kill her too. Great story and I would love to read more from this author.
Allison
Pretty decent short story. The characters were properly fleshed out and I got a sense of the disdain the husband felt for his wife.
The premise is interesting and the ending was abrupt enough to keep you wondering what would have happened next.
Ishanie
Super creepy story about a man who wants to kill his wife over a game of canasta. Very good story that made me jump when I hear noises throughout the house as I read!
Bethica
A man plans to murder his wife over a game of cards. These short stories by this author are really enjoyable to read. Definately worth the free download.
Drew Wheeler
Dickson's descriptions stand out in every story, but the banality of card games, beef stew, and murder set this fun short story apart.
Kevis Hendrickson
Another brilliant book by the incomparable Ms. Dickson. An instant 5 starer for the stirring prose and haunting delivery.
rameau
If you like them short, murderous, and well written, this is a story for you.
Cathy
Canasta might not be a good choice for spending the evening with your spouse.
liirogue

A really good, creepy little short story!
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Amber Stover
Amber Stover marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Nakoma
Nakoma added it
Apr 06, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
AwsomeStampyCatLover
AwsomeStampyCatLover marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jayne Capps
Jayne Capps marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Jimzzz
Jimzzz marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Caroline Gebbie
Caroline Gebbie marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Adam Vanzant
Adam Vanzant marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Allison M. Dickson is the author of two published novels: horror-thriller STRINGS, and the dystopian epic, THE LAST SUPPER, which received a starred review in Publishers weekly. She also has published nearly two dozen short stories covering both speculative and realistic realms, both independently and in publications such as APEX MAGAZINE. Her independently-produced Colt Coltrane series, featuring ...more
More about Allison M. Dickson...
Strings Dust Under the Scotch Broom Vermin Aria