Start by marking “Dog Breath” as Want to Read:
Dog Breath

Dog Breath

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A comfy dog bed, a red rubber ball, a favorite bone: a collection of images left behind stirs up memories, both poignant and humorous, of a child’s best friend. This lovable, rambunctious dog will steal your heart just as easily as he once stole bites of food from the table or a whole birthday cake—candles and all—off the kitchen counter.
Published November 15th 2011 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside

To ask other readers questions about Dog Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Breath

Perfume by Patrick SüskindChocolat by Joanne HarrisThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlLike Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Smells
106th out of 245 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Joe Stolp
Despite being a very sad book I felt this story was great. This was the story of a child telling the story of his lost dog, now Im not sure whether the dog had run away or had passed away. The story uses great description of the childs memory of the dog and focuses alot on the positive memories the child had of his pet. I feel this would be a great story to use for young children to help either cope with losing a loved one or explain that even those these terrible things are bound to happen they ...more
Laura5
My 7 year old was quite confused about what happened to the dog in this book. We had to talk a lot afterwards for him to make some sense of it, and he has experienced the death of a pet.

The death is inferred and not stated, and much of the story is told with a conditional type of past tense. I think for those two reasons it is not clear without a lot of guided help for younger readers.

This would be a good picture book to use with older elementary for an example of "voice" or "ideas" for 6 trai
carissa
"A comfy dog bed, a red rubber ball, a favorite bone: a collection of images left behind stirs up memories, both poignant and humorous, of a child's best friend."

Before reading this book, I didn't realize it was about the death of a family dog - I'm glad I read the book because I probably have recommended this to someone looking for pictures about dogs. However, now I'll save it for those who need a good book about the death of a family pet. It was a sweet story with nice illustrations.
Robin
This tale is about losing a loved pet and memories of that stinky, mischievous, bothersome creature. Made me hug my dogs and appreciate all of their stinkiness and bad manners. Junebug and I will reserve this book for special occasions (i.e., when it's needed).
Elisabeth
Beautiful and sweet but not syrupy. Cheerful undertones and this book gets you to a place that I would hope all of us could get to after experiencing loss.

Martha
I may change this to 155.9 *tears*
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Susan B
Susan B marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Schokeata
Schokeata marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Jill Warren
Jill Warren marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Daniela Hielc
Daniela Hielc marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Buttercup's Lovely Day Wellington's Rainy Day The Waiting Dog One Hungry Heron Richard Was a Picker (audio enhanced ebook)