Half-Blood (Covenant, #1)

Half-Blood (Covenant #1)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  29,936 ratings  ·  2,919 reviews
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi—pure-bloods—have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals—well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than...more
Published September 19th 2011 by Spencer Hill Press

Starcrossed by Josephine AngeliniThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHalf-Blood by Jennifer L. ArmentroutThe Goddess Test by Aimee CarterPure by Jennifer L. Armentrout
YA Mythology Series
3rd out of 161 books — 223 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothWhy Not-World by Alexei Maxim RussellDaughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini TaylorThe Host by Stephenie Meyer
Best Lead Female Protagonists!
19th out of 125 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Ezmirelda
SPOILER ALERT **THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR BOTH VAMPIRE ACADEMY (the whole series) AND HALF BLOOD BELOW***

Similarities Between Half-Blood and Vampire Academy

EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

*CAUTION* if you're looking for originality this is not the book for you.

It's like the author just took Vampire Academy and changed all the names. The only character missing from this story is Lissa. Read below for details

*EDIT* Apparently Lissa is in this book as well. You know the connection that Rose and Lisa have that a...more
Emily May

Surely this book is illegal. I mean, someone once tried to sue J.K. Rowling because their book included a kind of wizard sport tournament similar to the one found in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they claimed she had stolen the idea from them... and this small matter takes up such a minuscule percentage of the novel! Not to mention the fact that no one I knew had ever heard of the guy's novel before...

Now, pretty much everyone I speak to has heard of - if not read - the Vampire Academy s...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
In Daimon, the short story prequel, Alex’s mother was killed by a group of Strigoi daimons, but Alex was lucky enough to escape. At the beginning of Half-Blood, she is found by Dimitri Aiden and other Guardians Sentinels and returned to the Covenant, where she hopes to continue her education. However, the dean is none too happy with her. She has lost three years of training and he thinks she shouldn’t be allowed to rejoin her classmates. Instead, he wants to give her the elixir which will turn h...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
More VA similarities come out here and here. And that's not even my entire list of similarities. I just got tired of marking them all (because there were so many) when it started getting down to them both having rose necklaces as a significant thing and other random little details sprinkled throughout just about everywhere.

*edit* July 2012*. Sigh. Eff it. I really didn't want to have a star rating on this book because of my mixed feelings (good and bad) but since I'm not risking having yet anoth...more
MISS VAIN
"There's nothing like a bunch of catty teenagers who could either kick your ass halfway across the country or set you on fire with a mere thought.

That alone changed who people picked fights with or became friends with.
And at the end of the day, it was always good to have a Firestarter in your back pocket."

Okay soooo As a HUGE Vampire Academy fan please allow me to adress the whole "It's just like V.A. Issue"..... Well it did have several moments especially in the beginning as well as the co...more
I am Mrs. Emerson
Jul 25, 2012 I am Mrs. Emerson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Myth inspired books lovers!
Recommended to I am Mrs. Emerson by: Eunice

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???!

This is what I was talking about! Ms. Armentrout! You really know how to make your fans scream out more!!!

Merged review:

MY REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK:

Yes! I am extremely happy!
This book exceeded my expectations!

THE GIST

Here are some of the things you need to know about first before I get to the real gist of this book. We all know that the Greek gods were very fond of mingling with humans. And when they mingle with humans in a not so innocent way, the by-pro...more
Kate Kaynak
This book is amazing! Fans of VAMPIRE ACADEMY will love it. The main character, Alex, has a wonderfully edgy, sarcastic voice, and she's simultaneously strong and vulnerable. I pulled this query out of the slush pile and read the manuscript in a day--I couldn't put it down! Put this on your "to-read" list; you won't be disappointed!
Annie Brewer
I can not say it enough---I LOVE a story from the guy's POV!!! It is so much more powerful than from the girls. As a girl myself, I know how we think-feel-want. But there is nothing sexier than getting into the guy's head and witnessing their vulnerable side, especially since we the readers get to see it all first before the girl does. Ahhh, it's a beautiful thing! And Aiden? He's a beautiful guy! God, he's beautiful and lucious. And sexy. And dammit, I can not shut up! Okay, well I liked this t...more
Jacqueline's Reads
FIVE FUN FACTS about JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT + Book Signing Photos - > HERE

6 FUCK ME HARD (OR JUST RUB UPON ME) AIDEN STARS

It’s not secret I am a Jennifer L. Armentrout (J.Lynn) fan. Yes, I have a girl crush list (just like a book boyfriend list) and she is an author that is on there. So, with my mini me (that’s my reading buddy, I call her mini me, b/c she’s ten years younger than me and reminds me of me ten years ago) told me to read Half-Blood, I said, well what the heck.

Oh my god, where h...more
Avital
First I would like to say I've never given a book 1 star, because I think that just the dedication of an author earns him at list 2 stars. The second thing is that I think that's the longest review I've ever wrote. It says something.

This book doesn't deserve rating at all. Because it was a perfect copy of Vampire Academy series. And not in a good way.
I'm utterly disappointed and upset with Jennifer L. Armentrout. How can she do that? How did the publishers let her publish a book that is a copy o...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
"Alex?" I turned around, figuring he'd changed his mind and was going to order me to see Marcus in the morning and fess up to my bad behaviour. "Yeah ?" He brushed a lock of dark hair off his forehead and flashed that lopsided smile. "I remember you" I scrunched up my face. "What?" The grin increased to a full smile. And... oh, man. He had dimples. The air in my lungs died. "I remember you, too"

Where do I even begin by writing this review? Well……Half-Blood left me utterly speechless. It complet...more
Natalia Ceitidh
Okay, a few people has asked me why I only gave 1 cheap star to this book that seems to be a favorite of so many. So, I decided to explain how I feel towards this book with the following points.

But first, I am sorry in advance if I offend a fan of this series. I know it hurts when someone talks crap about a book you love and I know this book has tones of fans but SORRY!

So here I go!

1. I got almost halfway through the book. I read like 45% of it and I couldn't keep reading. So yes, I didnt' finis...more
Sam
~Tina~
What a fantastic and sensational book!!
Half Blood has everything I look for in a read and more. Remarkable writing, an intriguing plot, a kickass protag, swoon worthy characters, forbidden love, hope and a fate destined.
I absolutely loved this book!!

Alex is such a great character, but what I love most about her is that she has so much more potential to grow and be the person that I know she can become. Aiden is my favorite kind of sexy. Strong, loyal and smoldering and brooding never looked so...more
Booknut
Re-read 30/9/13:

Re-reading this book was like visiting an old friend with a great sense of humour! I fell in love with this series all over again from the very first page - the tale of Alex, the kickass halfblood heroine, and her journey, one that I will never, ever tire of :)

Original Review

"It was him - Aiden St.Delphi."

As soon as I read that I was all like, "Oooooh yeah. She's got it baaaaaad." But then I read about how pures and halfs can't be together and I was all:

Shit. Is. Going. To. Go....more
Arlene
Sep 27, 2011 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of Vampire Academy
Recommended to Arlene by: Bookittyblog - ARC Tour
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

After reading the pre-qual Daimon by Jennifer L. Armentrout I was excited to get my hands on the first full installment Half Blood, so thank you to Bookittyblog for including me in the book tour.

Half Blood has everything I love about paranormal adventures, including fast paced action, constant turmoil and excitement, as well as a group of characters that make me want to just jump into the book and take down some Daimons right along with them. It was full on fun an...more
Abbi Glines
UGH! Now I have to wait until April to find out if she gets her head on straight and realizes Seth is her man!!! LOL! Loved this book =)
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Once I was done reading Daimon, I was so glad I had an ARC of Half-Blood in hand and hoped it was as good as the prequel. I can safely say that Half-Blood exceeded any expectations I had! I completely loved it! It was so awesome that it's now one of my favorite YA paranormals, and if this keeps up, I know Covenant could end up being a definite favorite series of mine!

After three years in hiding with her pure-blood mother, 17-year-old Alexandria...more
Sabrina
Apr 26, 2012 Sabrina rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who liked the Vampire Academy series and would like to read the same thing over and over
Shelves: did-not-finish
I just got into the first few pages and the "WTF counter" was already exploding.

I get it that you'd like to write a book but don't have anything new to say.
I get it that you are unsure and feel more secure using elements already proven successful.
I get it that you REALLY liked the Vampire Academy series.
I don't think you have to be completely original to write a (good) book: you are allowed to pick ideas here and there.

But.

SERIOUSLY.

COME ON.
Soraya

This book is okay. It has all the YA tropes and is very predictable. The storyline is similar to the Lux series just instead of aliens we now have the Greek Gods.
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Reviewed at: http://toughcriticbookreviews.blogspo...

Jennifer Armentrout...I really think I may be in love with you. Seriously, I'm about as straight as they come, but after reading Obsidian and immediately following it up with Half-Blood!!! I heart you!! Where have you been all my life??? I'm gagged and bound to the band-wagon attached to the Jennifer L. Armentrout train and I love it!!! What a ride.

Now let me take a running head start and jump on my insanely large soap-box. To all you readers...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: It’s pretty.
Rating PG-13
Overall: More interesting than I expected.
Characters: Good.
Plot: Read like a popular book.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes.
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: Aiden

SUMMARY (50 word or less)

Despite this book clearly reads much like a very popular book, I found myself unable to stop reading. I read in one setting. There is something with this author that draws me into her stories even though ideas feel like they come from other stories. And...more
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
4 stars

Alexandria is a 17 year old half-blood and falling behind her studies in the Covenant. Who better than pure-blood Aiden to train her. Oh one slight problem, it is forbidden for pure-blood and half-blood to have relationships.

I found Aiden quite a serious hero and I have yet to find the spark between him and Alex. On the other hand, with Seth I liked the way he and Alex were around each other. For a YA book, Alex was a fabulous heroine and very likeable.

I was a bit overwhelmed by all the...more
Lucia
Read the full review at iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books.

Wowieeeee. I was instantly hooked by this book when I read the synopsis and saw the gorgeous purple cover, but that's nothing compared to what's actually inside the book. Jennifer Armentrout creates a butt-kicking, crime-fighting, people-protecting tough female protagonist that you just can't help not liking. One of my top favorite female main characters ever? Heck, yes. And I don't even want to go on about Aiden, because I don't know if I'll ev...more
Mariya
HALF-BLOOD was definitely the best mythology YA book I have read this year. I love mythology and I just loved so many things about this book that it kept me reading til the very end.

Do you miss Vampire Academy since it ended? Can't find a book that is similar to your lovely Vampire Academy Series? Look no more. If you want something similar to Vampire Academy then read HALF-BLOOD. You have a kick-ass heroine, two swoon worthy love interests, funny dialogue, and enough action to keep you in your...more
Mateja
Half-Blood is the kind of book that you will read in one sitting. The characters and the story line will keep you turning pages until you read the last sentence. And once you finish you will be left with the kind of wonderful feeling that you can only get after reading a fully satisfying book.

The plot is fast paced and we are immediately thrown into the thick of it with the first chapter. Just when things calmed down a bit and I thought Alex could finally relax and deal with her past, an inform...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
I can not wait for Pure any more!!!!

Merged review:

"Don't judge a book by it's cover"

Yeah right, i'm just wondering, if that one who said that, had eyes at all?

Thank you Jennifer, really thank you, because the cover is not the only thing that I love. Gosh, I don't think that anybody understand how much I love books that leave me breathless. I could cry, smile and do whatever you want after reading such a book.
I don't know where to start my review, okay, let's start with characters, sure Jennif...more
Duygu Pınar
4.5
Kitabın büyük kısmı hep VA idi ki bu da beni deli etti. Bu seriyi sevebilirim sanırım VA gibi ama aynı zamanda da değil.VA dan ayrılan yeni mitolojik olaylar kitaba apayrı bir hava katmış ki bu kısmını çok beğendim. Aiden i Dimitri den daha çok sevdim. Zaten VA da da Adrian ı severdim :) Serinin ilerde saçmalamadan güzelce devam etmesini isterim bakalım umarım DEX 2. kitabı çok bekletmez. Seth daha çekici aslında kızla aralarında ölüm kalım meselesi olmasa :) tercih ondan yana olabilir :)
Lisa O.
The richest detail about this whole series is the name she chose to give to Alex's mother. Rachelle. Rachelle?! How metaphorical of you, Armentrout. Alex's mother... Rose's mother... yes, Rachelle. This cracks me up big time. No shame, I say. No shame.
Büşra Bal
Neyin artistliğini yapıp bu kadar beklemişim bilmiyorum, kendimi tekmelemek,ne bileyim dürtüklemek falan istiyorum. Size önerim bu kitabı asla ama asla 2.si elinizde olmadan,cebinizde para olamadan,yada gece vakti okumayın. Çünkü 2.sini almak için önünüzde saatler oluyor, ve inanın beklemek berbat bir şey.

Aslında bu kitabı almak isteme nedenimle, istememe nedenim aynıydı. Vampir akademisine benzer olduğunu söylemeleri.. En iyisi okuyup karar vermek dedim ama kitaplar bu denli benziyorsa,niye her...more
YOUNG ADULT BOOKW...: The Covenant Series 6 5 2 hours, 3 min ago
The Covenat: TV adaptation!! 7 6 Apr 13, 2014 03:58AM
Seth's series! It's christmas for all those who are on Team Seth!! 7 62 Apr 03, 2014 07:33AM
The Half-Bloods: Aiden or Seth? 647 166 Apr 01, 2014 12:35PM
The Half-Bloods: Half-Blood Love 4 27 Mar 30, 2014 06:30AM
Does the series get original? 12 115 Mar 28, 2014 08:01AM
Better than Vampire Academy...? 24 202 Mar 26, 2014 06:10AM
  • Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
  • Awry (The Archers of Avalon, #2)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Unchained (Nephilim Rising, #1)
  • Whirl (Ondine Quartet, #1)
  • Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #1)
  • Tremble (Denazen, #3)
  • Fearless Magic (Star-Crossed, #3)
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • Moon Spell (The Tale of Lunarmorte, #1)
  • Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2)
  • Awakened (The Guardian Legacy, #1)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard...more
More about Jennifer L. Armentrout...
Obsidian (Lux, #1) Onyx (Lux, #2) Opal (Lux, #3) Pure (Covenant, #2) Origin (Lux, #4)

“So? What are you going to do about it? Throw your mashed potatoes at me? I'm consumed by terror.” 572 likes
“Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
“Did you just quote Harry Potter?”
550 likes