Start by marking “Beauty, Disrupted: The Carre Otis Story” as Want to Read:
Beauty, Disrupted: The Carre Otis Story

Beauty, Disrupted: The Carre Otis Story

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Teen runaway, supermodel, and actress Carré Otis found herself in the public eye from a very tender age. Millions of people gazed at provocative images of her in magazine and billboard ads from Guess and Calvin Klein as well as in features on the pages of Playboy and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. By the time she was twenty, they had also seen her on posters for ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by It Books (first published September 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty, Disrupted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty, Disrupted

Robin
I didn't intend to read this through but sitting home with a cold gave me a good reason to skim through this memoir of a famous model/actress coming to terms with her life. It was a bit of "poor little me, don't hate my because I'm beautiful because I've been abused and taken advantage of by everyone in my past life and never took responsibility for many of the stupid decisions (and there were many) I made, but I've been reborn and have managed to mature and make something of myself" (quote is m ...more
Erin (PT)
My husband calls me a nonfiction hater. I don't think that's true, but I definitely have a lower enthusiasm level for nonfiction than fiction. I was sitting here debating whether I wanted to give this a 3 or 4 star rating and what it came down to is that, while an enjoyable read—much more enjoyable than I thought it would be—4 stars is more for a book I think I would reread and, with nonfiction in general and this book in particular, I seldom feel the need to revisit it once it's done.

I'm famili
Wanda
A good dish. Especially the Mickey Rourke years.
Theresa
Amazingly, I actually finished this book, even thought I disliked it throughout. Carre Otis was one of the super models of my adolescence, so I thought it would be interesting to read about her life. While it was eye-opening to learn about exactly how horribly models were (possibly still are?) treated by the fashion industry, and what a hideous monster Mickie Rourke was (and no doubt still is), Otis's narrative reveals itself to be the same as we hear from many celebrities: misunderstood and out ...more
Susan Williams
Beauty, Disrupted was a better read than expected. Although Otis has really only modeled, married a dysfunctional star and overcome addiction and eating disorders, which are definitely accomplishments, she's more of a supporting player on the stage of life. Her story, however, is compelling and ultimately an encouraging turnaround.
Dyslexic in a dysfunctional family, Otis struggled through childhood and adolescence only to drop out and run away at sixteen. Fortunately, she is able to become a mo
Sara
So much of the author's childhood and teen life was parallel to mine... I kept thinking during the whole thing that OMG we should be friends... Then of course she became a supermodel who got screwed over by her ex and I became an office worker who got screwed by my ex, but I digress...

Couldn't put it down, it was odd reading something so similar to my own past. Now I don't have to write mine. Plus, seeing the brutal reviews of this book make me certain I never would be able to handle the critici
Leslie
i was surprised how much i liked this book, the writing style was much better than i expected. i think my only complaint was that sometimes there wasn't enough detail to a story/recollection to really give a deep sense of what happened and other times there were too many trivial details. i did feel it was edited well over all and i enjoyed carre's "voice" as narrator. my only picky complaint was that she never gave a real description of HOW she learned to model or how she knew what poses to do o ...more
Janette Ozoa
Pros:

-Super easy read.
-A tabloid story stretched out to 300 some pages. If you're into that type of thing.
-She talks briefly about overcoming body image issues.
-$0.99 in Amazon

Cons:

-A tabloid story stretched out to 300 some pages. If you're not into that type of thing.
-She talks ONLY BRIEFLY about overcoming body image issues.
-It's a tabloid story stretched out to 300 some pages.
-It's a tabloid story.

The thing about this book is.. it's not badly written. It definitely doesn't deserve a Pulitzer,
Juliette
I would give this 3 1/2 stars if able to*. I read this model memoir at a rapid pace. Ultimately, it left me feeling sad. Carre Otis survived a terrible childhood that included rape and abuse, became an insanely successful model, endured more rape and abuse, and became a drug addict. She also fell madly in love with Mickey Rourke. It seems like quite a few of her recollections are hazy and she skips a lot of details. Suddenly, she'll mention having dogs, but doesn't mention getting them, or write ...more
Amy
I loved her message on what is going on with body image and women these days. As the population becomes more obese, there is an unbelievable emphasis on thin for women...and not just thin: extreme thin. She calls attention to a world where a tall size 6/8 model is considered a plus size. CRAZY! I would like to see an expose on what is really going on in the world that creates all of the thin perfect bodies in Hollywood. If it is anything like Carre experienced, the drugs are rampant.

I'm not craz
Faez
I meant this book as a kind of break from high brow readings, and it is; plus some interesting revelations about the ugly side of modelling as an industry whose commodity is beauty. There is an interesting journey of what it means to be a celebrity in modelling and Hollywood and the connections all this has with drugs, rape and the Mafia. The journey leads Otis to a simple but deep conclusion: Happiness is far from being too complicated or too expensive.
Dina Marie
I was really into it for a while, especially Carrie's initiation into the modeling industry - love the honesty and LOVE how she calls out all those who treated her poorly. I felt it lagged a bit towards the end, but definitely worth the read.
Lynn
At first, after reading the first few chapters, I thought this was another "poor little rich girl" story. She made one bad decision after another, and after awhile you begin to think she is just not all there in the head. Well, it was hard to just make it half-way through the book without passing judgement. But, once making it to the half-way point, is when the book finally turned around and became really interesting. It became more real and I couldn't put it down. I know that writing a memoir i ...more
MariaK
Interesting story but it could have been written in 100 pages, not 324. I loved the parts about Buddhism but found really boring the parts about the fashion shows, they were repetitive with too many unnecessary details.
Alison
Interesting look into the modeling industry and the evolution of a former model.
Eve
It was an interesting memoir and I applaud Carre for beating her demons. She shined a light into the modeling industry which isn't very pretty once you get beyond the magazine covers. She also spent a good deal of the book dissecting her unconventional and troubled marriage to Mickey Rourke.
Mrs. S
Very inspiring book about transformation and the power of self. Parts of it are difficult to read because of the harrowing subject matter, but ultimately it is a story of redemption and self-healing. Interesting observations about setting boundaries, body image, spirituality, love and motherhood.
Leandra
Loved this story! Seeing someone rise to the top but yet suffer so much abuse was astounding. Carre's climb from the pit is inspirational. I loved her spiritual journey and her discovery of the power of celibacy. A definite read.
Lorra Fae
Riveting read about her life. The writing wasn't amazing, which is why it got fewer stars from me - however I do not expect her to be a great writer. The stories she had were very interesting - I wish she had elaborated on some.
Stephanie
Poorly written, but inspiring story. Interesting to me as we are both from Marin, sane era, lived in SF, and she mentions names/places I know. Best part was the end and her spiritual awakening and finding of her real power.
Vanessa
Very interesting and very inspirational to read how someone who turn their life around completely all by themselves. She is a gorgeous and remarkable lady both on the inside and outside.
Becca
Ok, 4 stars? Yes! 4 Stars! Not literature (doy) but a very readable account of a crazy life. Life Lesson: Do not marry Mickey Rourke. Just don't do it!
Frances
I admire the honesty in which she wrote about her turbulent youth. I also loved and now a bit curious about the practice of Buddhism. Great read!
Julia

I found it very interesting - she definitely had a lot of challenges in her life - it was written so well too.
Cyn
Very good. But I only gave it 4 stars. TMI in places and the language is bad. Thank heavens it had a happy ending!
Jenny Wells
A before bed read. A version of escape. Bought it, so finished it. Respect her sharing her story. But ready to move on.
Oceandreamer001
I enjoyed it. Good for Carre for making it out the other side of hell.
An inspiring story. I'm happy for her much-deserved happy ending.
Nicole
I was excited to read this, but it really didn't live up to my hopes.
Jennifer Wooten
Stayed up until 3 am reading this. It's a good one.
  • Hollywood Hellraisers: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, and Jack Nicholson
  • Sex Crimes: Ten Years on the Front Lines Prosecuting Rapists and Confronting Their Collaborators
  • An Improvised Life
  • Behind the Bell: Behind the Scenes of Saved by the Bell with the Guy Who Was There for Everything
  • War Is Not Over When It's Over: Women and the Consequences of Conflict