Start by marking “Beauty, Disrupted: The Carre Otis Story” as Want to Read:
Beauty, Disrupted: The Carre Otis Story

Beauty, Disrupted: The Carre Otis Story

Throughouther career, supermodel and actress Carré Otis hasbeen celebrated for her striking physical beauty—but in this brazenly honestmemoir she revisits the ugliest parts of her past to reveal the events thatultimately brought her to strive for, and champion, the kind of beauty that canonly be found within. In Beauty Disrupted Carrédetails the triumphs and challenges of ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by It Books (first published September 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty, Disrupted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty, Disrupted

Robin
Aug 15, 2011 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-autobio
I didn't intend to read this through but sitting home with a cold gave me a good reason to skim through this memoir of a famous model/actress coming to terms with her life. It was a bit of "poor little me, don't hate my because I'm beautiful because I've been abused and taken advantage of by everyone in my past life and never took responsibility for many of the stupid decisions (and there were many) I made, but I've been reborn and have managed to mature and make something of myself" (quote is m ...more
Erin (PT)
My husband calls me a nonfiction hater. I don't think that's true, but I definitely have a lower enthusiasm level for nonfiction than fiction. I was sitting here debating whether I wanted to give this a 3 or 4 star rating and what it came down to is that, while an enjoyable read—much more enjoyable than I thought it would be—4 stars is more for a book I think I would reread and, with nonfiction in general and this book in particular, I seldom feel the need to revisit it once it's done.

I'm famili
Liralen
Considerably grimmer than I'd expected—abuse, drugs, more abuse, desperation. It makes for a difficult story that is sometimes more interesting than others...perhaps because abuse and self-destruction go in cycles, the book sometimes felt repetitive. Multiple mentions of 'but it would still be years before I left', etc.

Aside from this book and what I found on Wikipedia, I really know nothing about Otis, Rourke, or any of the other people depicted in the book. Otis may or may not be holding back,
Wanda
Nov 06, 2011 Wanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good dish. Especially the Mickey Rourke years.
Janette Ozoa
Pros:

-Super easy read.
-A tabloid story stretched out to 300 some pages. If you're into that type of thing.
-She talks briefly about overcoming body image issues.
-$0.99 in Amazon

Cons:

-A tabloid story stretched out to 300 some pages. If you're not into that type of thing.
-She talks ONLY BRIEFLY about overcoming body image issues.
-It's a tabloid story stretched out to 300 some pages.
-It's a tabloid story.

The thing about this book is.. it's not badly written. It definitely doesn't deserve a Pulitzer,
Theresa
Mar 24, 2014 Theresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly, I actually finished this book, even thought I disliked it throughout. Carre Otis was one of the super models of my adolescence, so I thought it would be interesting to read about her life. While it was eye-opening to learn about exactly how horribly models were (possibly still are?) treated by the fashion industry, and what a hideous monster Mickie Rourke was (and no doubt still is), Otis's narrative reveals itself to be the same as we hear from many celebrities: misunderstood and out ...more
Steven Kaminski
When it comes to movies I can be kinda weird. And one of the movies that I always liked was Wild Orchid. I loved the music (in particular the instrumental music) the setting, the feel of the movie and the interaction of Wheeler and Emily in the movie. The girl who played Emily...Carre Otis...I thought was very beautiful and striking and didn't even come across as an actress...now after reading her book I know why...she had never acted before.
In her book she documents a world of struggles and do
Marina Aris
Mar 24, 2017 Marina Aris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, Heartfelt & Inspiring

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but it delivered on so many levels. I appreciated the honest reflection and the spiritual journey was an unexpected but welcome surprise. This story is as close as you can get to walking in another's shoes. Filled with compassion and powerful insights. The kind of book I'd want my daughters to read.
Susan Williams
Beauty, Disrupted was a better read than expected. Although Otis has really only modeled, married a dysfunctional star and overcome addiction and eating disorders, which are definitely accomplishments, she's more of a supporting player on the stage of life. Her story, however, is compelling and ultimately an encouraging turnaround.
Dyslexic in a dysfunctional family, Otis struggled through childhood and adolescence only to drop out and run away at sixteen. Fortunately, she is able to become a mo
Leslie
Feb 03, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i was surprised how much i liked this book, the writing style was much better than i expected. i think my only complaint was that sometimes there wasn't enough detail to a story/recollection to really give a deep sense of what happened and other times there were too many trivial details. i did feel it was edited well over all and i enjoyed carre's "voice" as narrator. my only picky complaint was that she never gave a real description of HOW she learned to model or how she knew what poses to do o ...more
Amy
Jun 13, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved her message on what is going on with body image and women these days. As the population becomes more obese, there is an unbelievable emphasis on thin for women...and not just thin: extreme thin. She calls attention to a world where a tall size 6/8 model is considered a plus size. CRAZY! I would like to see an expose on what is really going on in the world that creates all of the thin perfect bodies in Hollywood. If it is anything like Carre experienced, the drugs are rampant.

I'm not craz
Juliette
Dec 22, 2011 Juliette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
I would give this 3 1/2 stars if able to*. I read this model memoir at a rapid pace. Ultimately, it left me feeling sad. Carre Otis survived a terrible childhood that included rape and abuse, became an insanely successful model, endured more rape and abuse, and became a drug addict. She also fell madly in love with Mickey Rourke. It seems like quite a few of her recollections are hazy and she skips a lot of details. Suddenly, she'll mention having dogs, but doesn't mention getting them, or write ...more
Lynn
Sep 11, 2013 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, after reading the first few chapters, I thought this was another "poor little rich girl" story. She made one bad decision after another, and after awhile you begin to think she is just not all there in the head. Well, it was hard to just make it half-way through the book without passing judgement. But, once making it to the half-way point, is when the book finally turned around and became really interesting. It became more real and I couldn't put it down. I know that writing a memoir i ...more
Sara
Oct 29, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-biography
So much of the author's childhood and teen life was parallel to mine... I kept thinking during the whole thing that OMG we should be friends... Then of course she became a supermodel who got screwed over by her ex and I became an office worker who got screwed by my ex, but I digress...

Couldn't put it down, it was odd reading something so similar to my own past. Now I don't have to write mine. Plus, seeing the brutal reviews of this book make me certain I never would be able to handle the critici
Faez
Jan 21, 2014 Faez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I meant this book as a kind of break from high brow readings, and it is; plus some interesting revelations about the ugly side of modelling as an industry whose commodity is beauty. There is an interesting journey of what it means to be a celebrity in modelling and Hollywood and the connections all this has with drugs, rape and the Mafia. The journey leads Otis to a simple but deep conclusion: Happiness is far from being too complicated or too expensive.
Neri.
Apr 06, 2016 Neri. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that this book was a painful reminder that there isn't much glam in the modeling world. Carre Otis endured so much through her life and everything shows in this memoir. Especially interesting to read were Mickey Rourke years but I can only imagine how it was tough for her to be with him... Anyway, it's an o.k. book, despite what I wrote before, there's not much else there...
Leandra
Apr 28, 2012 Leandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this story! Seeing someone rise to the top but yet suffer so much abuse was astounding. Carre's climb from the pit is inspirational. I loved her spiritual journey and her discovery of the power of celibacy. A definite read.
Lorra Fae
Riveting read about her life. The writing wasn't amazing, which is why it got fewer stars from me - however I do not expect her to be a great writer. The stories she had were very interesting - I wish she had elaborated on some.
Stephanie
Poorly written, but inspiring story. Interesting to me as we are both from Marin, sane era, lived in SF, and she mentions names/places I know. Best part was the end and her spiritual awakening and finding of her real power.
MariaK
Jan 30, 2015 MariaK rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story but it could have been written in 100 pages, not 324. I loved the parts about Buddhism but found really boring the parts about the fashion shows, they were repetitive with too many unnecessary details.
Mrs. S
Nov 27, 2013 Mrs. S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring book about transformation and the power of self. Parts of it are difficult to read because of the harrowing subject matter, but ultimately it is a story of redemption and self-healing. Interesting observations about setting boundaries, body image, spirituality, love and motherhood.
Eve
Mar 05, 2013 Eve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting memoir and I applaud Carre for beating her demons. She shined a light into the modeling industry which isn't very pretty once you get beyond the magazine covers. She also spent a good deal of the book dissecting her unconventional and troubled marriage to Mickey Rourke.
Amor
Dec 02, 2015 Amor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Was an okay read, nothing to exciting or unusual.
Jenny Wells
A before bed read. A version of escape. Bought it, so finished it. Respect her sharing her story. But ready to move on.
Oceandreamer001
Feb 02, 2012 Oceandreamer001 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. Good for Carre for making it out the other side of hell.
Julia
Jan 25, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I found it very interesting - she definitely had a lot of challenges in her life - it was written so well too.
Vanessa
May 29, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and very inspirational to read how someone who turn their life around completely all by themselves. She is a gorgeous and remarkable lady both on the inside and outside.
Frances
Feb 01, 2012 Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admire the honesty in which she wrote about her turbulent youth. I also loved and now a bit curious about the practice of Buddhism. Great read!
May 08, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
An inspiring story. I'm happy for her much-deserved happy ending.
Tamara
Jun 17, 2015 Tamara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok read. Engaging enough to finish it, but not very memorable. Found her a bit flaky in parts, although I did like the part where she was recovering. Meh.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Hollywood Hellraisers: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, and Jack Nicholson
  • Sex Crimes: Ten Years on the Front Lines Prosecuting Rapists and Confronting Their Collaborators
  • Behind the Bell: Behind the Scenes of Saved by the Bell with the Guy Who Was There for Everything
  • An Improvised Life
  • Tornado Warning: A Memoir of Teen Dating Violence and Its Effect On A Woman's Life
  • Steve McQueen: A Biography