Start by marking “Potter's Field” as Want to Read:
Potter's Field

Potter's Field

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A new vision of noir from legendary writer Mark Waid, author of the multiple Eisner Award-winning KINGDOM COME and the Eisner and Harvey Award-nominated IRREDEEMABLE, and artist Paul Azaceta of PUNISHER NOIR.

Outside New York City is Potter's Field, where the unnamed dead are buried. Now, a mysterious man has taken it upon himself to name the unnamed in this cemetery. Using
Published August 30th 2011 by BOOM! Studios (first published June 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Potter's Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potter's Field

Jeff
Meet John Doe.

John Doe is a man of mystery. He has no finger prints. He wears cool sunglasses at night (yeah, just like the song). His past is shrouded in secrecy. He has a team of investigators who encompass all facets of the criminal justice system, but don’t know that one another exist. There is no reason given as to why they work for him.

Mr. Doe is dedicated to giving those who end up in Potter’s Field (murder victims) their name back and some sort of redemption. He uses his team and his co
Martin
Lots of questions left unanswered by Mark Waid (maybe that's the idea, who knows?). Otherwise, very clever mysteries & an interesting premise. Hopefully we'll get more stories for this good-but-short series.

Is Waid over-extended, what with "Irredeemable", its polar opposite "Incorruptible", and whatever he's got cookin' at Marvel ("Daredevil" comes to mind). Maybe that's one reason we've not seen more of "Potter's Field"...

Oh yeah - Paul Azaceta's art is on the same level as his output in P
Nick
This is an intriguing graphic novel look at a modern version of older pulp-style heroes. John Doe reminded me a great deal of one of the older pulp characters, The Avenger, in his way of distancing himself from the world while creating a team to help with his obsessions.
John Doe has one simple goal: to identify as many of the unnamed dead as he possibly can. Clues in the story clearly show that he has no chance of ever catching up, but that's not the point. He does what he can, no matter the cos
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I've become a fan of Mark Waid.

John Doe is a mysterious vigilante who fights to name the unnamed in Potter's Field, a graveyard in New York City where the unidentified bodies are buried. He has an underground network of agents working for him from coroners to street people and he'll never give up until he's chiseled a name on a gravestone. John himself is just as mysterious as those he tries to help. No one knows his real name, where he comes from, his background or why he do
Villain E
Potter’s Field is a graveyard where New York buries its unnamed dead. The mysterious man known only as John Doe is working to find out who they are. Using a network of people and resources he’s patched together during his crusade, Doe solves the mysteries of who’s in the graves.

The first volume of Potter’s Field collects the first four monthly issues. It’s written by Mark Waid (Kingdom Come, JLA, Fantastic Four) who has been showing his flexibility at Boom Studios, and illustrated by Paul Azacet
Gayle Francis Moffet
Potter's Field is the story of a graveyard where no one has a name on their headstone, and the story of the man who is determined to give them all their names back. It's Mark Waid doing what he does: writing a tight, interesting story full of interesting people. In this case, it's John Doe, a man who hunts down the truth behind the people who are left with just a number in the Potter's Field of the title. You meet John Doe's extended network of people, and you watch him solve these mysteries, an ...more
Rosa
John Doe goes out to the cemetray where the unknown people are burried and makes it a point to find their names. He solves the crimes that cops didn't have the resources or patience to figure out. He has a network of opperatives that help him out and seems to draw connections easily.

I really wanted to like this but it just didn't happen. I think it was just a little bit too mysterious on the John Doe front. I liked how he was able to figure out who people were and I found the individual stories
Daryl
This is a book I probably would've passed by, but I found a copy at a fraction (12% actually) of the retail price at a clearance sale, and I'm very glad I did. This is an excellent noir story. The main character, known only as John Doe, investigates the deaths of those unidentified bodies (often murders) that are buried in Potter's Field. Waid is a great comic book scripter, though I'm mostly familiar with his super-hero or psuedo-super-hero work. Here he excels in a different genre. The art by ...more
Alan
It is a shame that this series by Mark Waid didn't sell better, as it is one of his better works. John Doe is a man who has made it his mission to find the names, and solve the murders, of those buried in New York City's potter's field (a cemetary for the unidentified). The influences are felt throughout the tale of the central investigation. Holmes' Baker Street Irregulars (Doe has a network of informal associates cops, coroners, etc.). The air created by the writing and art evokes the feel of ...more
Sonic
Deliciously dark NOIR. Excellent writing from Waid supported by flawless, amazing artwork by Azaceta. This is interesting because some of Waid's writing seems amazing when it is paired with amazing art and mediocre when he is supported by mediocre art. But this really does seem like his best writing and it is also one of the best artists I have seen him work with. I loved it!
D. Scott Meek
Very interesting and something totally new. I enjoyed this noir-esque dive into solving riddles. The character, John Doe, was interesting, if not exactly engaging. The rest of crew, if you will, were more interesting as they had backstories. Perhaps I missed something along the way about Mr. Doe, as the foreword seemed to indicate, but it's hard to say. Still, cool story.
Steven
If you're a fan of noir, pulp detectives, or simply mysteries, you're missing out on a great book if you overlook the graphic novel shelves.

THIS is what Raymond Chandler would be writing if he were alive today.

Seriously good reading (and great writing with evocative and powerful art to make the story even more intense). Well worth anyone's reading time.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Video Review: http://youtu.be/6aCpq5dlhVI

4.5 stars. This is a fantastic, dark noir style mystery. I loved the mysterious John Doe character who pulls off wearing sunglasses at night. The rough artwork style worked perfectly with the mood of the story.
Molly
This was good, and really toned down on the language and violence, so I'd be more comfortable adding it to a collection. It read very much like a movie- and a good action one, with twists and turns that I think people would enjoy.
Mark Ballinger
A pretty good book, with a hero/anti-hero that's tough to pin down. Good story, and nice art. Surprisingly for me, I actually hoped this was going to be a series to read, but seems to be a one shot. Too bad.
zackxdig
Who is John Doe? Clever concept and it makes me want to read more of it. Sadly, there isn't anything more. But I like the idea of leaving things open and giving you a glance at the big mystery.
Mike
I'm not dying to read the next one, but I am interested enough to look for it. Good stories, great art. Seems a bit shallow if each story stands on its own, but I've a feeling they'll add up to more.
Dave Swavely
Really cool art, stories that keep you interested, and not nearly as much gratuitous gore and profanity as is often included in this genre of graphic novel. Recommended!
Gregory
Jeff Mason
Story felt incomplete. If there were more to it, I'd easily give it a 4.
Dru
Sort of a poor man's Criminal.
Marcus Gardea
Marcus Gardea marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Ryan Manning
Ryan Manning is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Jedhua
Jedhua marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Jim Stout
Jim Stout marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Fells
Fells marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Chris White
Chris White marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
  • The Homeland Directive
  • The Hood, Vol. 1: Blood from Stones
  • The Sleeper Omnibus
  • By Chance or Providence
  • Who is Jake Ellis? (...Jake Ellis?, #1)
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2
  • Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol. 1
  • Ghostbusters, Volume 1: The Man From The Mirror
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory Book One
  • Last Days of an Immortal
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 4: The Family Man (Hellblazer New Edition, #4)
  • Set to Sea
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.
More about Mark Waid...
Kingdom Come Superman: Birthright JLA, Vol. 7: Tower of Babel Daredevil, Volume 1 Irredeemable, Vol. 1