Unexpected Consequences (Rod and Cane Society, #1)

Unexpected Consequences (Rod and Cane Society #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Jared belongs to the Rod and Cane Society, a secret organization of men who spank their wives to maintain domestic discipline. When Melania ignores a “request” from her husband and attempts to hide her disobedience, Jared spanks her.

While Jared believes the unpleasantness has been settled, for Melania it only has begun. Although she consented to the spanking, her fairytale...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Loose Id

The Riding School by C.P. MandaraSorority Pledge 1 by Daizie DraperPlayful Punishments by John SatisfyTraditional Love by Alta HensleyUnexpected Consequences by Cara Bristol
Best Spanking Fiction
5th out of 234 books — 150 voters
Daddy Morebucks by Normandie AllemanRound One by Lucian BaneThe Riding School by C.P. MandaraCaptive in the Dark by C.J. RobertsDaddy's Game by Normandie Alleman
Favorite BDSM Covers and Cover Art
22nd out of 201 books — 271 voters

More lists with this book...

Annabel Joseph
I think unfortunately a lot of people who aren't into Domestic Discipline are going to read this book, be horrified, and give it one star. That's a shame.

My credentials--I'm a long time devotee of the Domestic Discipline kink, practice it with my husband, been into it for 20 years or so, lol. I usually avoid reading DD romances because so often they seem to be written by people who don't understand or express the emotion and reasoning behind it. Not so here. Cara Bristol's book demonstrated a th...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
The Romance Review

I swooned in sexual ecstasy reading this book. The phrase running through my mind the entire time was "Spare the rod; spoil the child!" This phrase is one of my favourites and it must be Jared's too.

Jared is newly wed to Melanie. The twelve-year age difference doesn't make him her "daddy", but due to their affiliation to the Rod and Cane Society, he does dole out punishment for her misbehaviour like a father would to a child.

I liked this book because Melanie was spanked and paddled hard for mis...more
Michael Dunellen
This review was sponsored by Behind the Chintz Curtain. However, all opinions expressed here are mine alone.

I think "Unheld Conversations" would have been a better title for this book.

Jared is a member of an organisation called the Rod and Cane Society. Personally, I prefer to refer to it by its original name when it was founded back in 1937: The He-Man Woman Haters Club. Therefore, throughout the rest of this review, I am going to call it He-Man for short.

So, anyway, the guys in He-Man are all...more
Vivien Jackson
I personally could not endure this kind of marriage. But by the end of this book, the characters could, and the author sold me on that completely. Nice trick, that, not to mention superb writing.
Jade Cary
That is what Cara Bristol has created here in Unexpected Consequences. Melania loves husband Jared's dominant ways, and accepts his warnings before their marriage of physical retribution for misbehavior with half an ear--and half a heart. But when she makes a mistake and he spanks her, Melania is shocked and hurt. She prepares to leave him, and it is during a dinner party that same night that she meets two other women, part of the Rod and Cane Society, and they give their take--pros and cons--of...more
Amy

DNF

This felt like a "spanking" version of The Stepford Wives. Characters are shallow, no chemistry, no communication. I made it to where the hero initiates his "domestic disciplinary" role and spanks his wife with a paddle because she went against his wishes and bought a pair of shoes. I could not take anymore.

I'm thankful to the friend that loaned me the book to see if I would be interested in the series. The price of $5.09 for 109pgs is ridiculous.
Sue Lyndon
Shellie
Another winner from Cara Bristol. I think I'm becoming addicted to this genre. Who knew domestic discipline was such a turn on? A lot of people apparently.

I'll admit that I had a hard time warming to Melania. She was so naive. She grew up in a home were her father was a member of the Rod and Cane Society. Granted, he didn't spank her mother in front of her but I can only imagine that the household was very old fashioned. I'm sure her mother didn't go around talking back to her father or lying t...more
Dee Wy
This was my first Cara Bristol read, and I confess I got it simply to have a "U" title for an A-Z challenge. Though I wasn't expecting to be impressed - I was! I really enjoyed this well-written story on domestic discipline and feel like I learned a thing or two in the process. The story really made me think. Well worth a read for BDSM fans.
Heather  Skye
Way to un-romanticized a good spanking. This is almost dubious consent. Cavemen brought to the 21st century.
Kate Richards
I read #3 in this series so I had to go back and begin at the beginning, not because it didn't stand alone...but because I wanted to. I wasn't disappointed!
Monique
Great read! Looking forward to the next book.
Lili
I don't get it... this "spanking as discipline" in marriage thing?, it felt like when the Jeovah witnesses come to your house and try to sell you their ideology, or like Tom Cruise and his rants about scientology.
I understand you believe in that, good for you, but it's just not my cup of tea and this ad (that's what it felt like) of 105 pages didn't make me even the littlest bit interested.

I kept rolling my eyes every time these women talked about how the spanking was making their marriage so mu...more
Tia
Before I Read The Novel:
The description sounds awful kinky, however some of it is about divorce and blah, blah, blah. I can only hope it's a hot read!

In The Novel:
I'm 23 pages in and I can totally feel Melania's thoughts, emotions and actions. The novel was definitely well written. I want to take the paddle and spank her husband!

Side comments: (as I'm reading the novel)
- A society for spankings! WOW!
- Subspace, yummy!

In The Novel:
At the end I grinned. It was cleverly written and I liked it quite...more
Guilty Pleasures
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

I’ll admit I was a little surprised by this book, Unexpected Consequences. I was expecting a BDSM story but it’s not that at all, not really. That’s not a bad thing; it was just very different from anything I’ve read. Turns out the Rod and Cane Society is a group that advocates and supports relationships based on a foundation of loving discipline. In other words, men have the final say in their households and women are spanked when their spouse or signifi...more
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Feb 13, 2013 Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ by: Dee Wy
Shelves: a-z-challenge, dd
I would classify this as a niche market novella. If you're interested in domestic discipline, you'll probably enjoy this otherwise keep on keepin' on. Yes, its a romance but it's unconventional & it does read a little clinical in its explanation of the lifestyle.

Part of what I found refreshing is Melania struggles to embrace DD as anything but degrading & humiliating, denying its erotic nature despite evidence to the contrary. She's torn between her love for Jared & uncertainty in s...more
Linda Sims
EYEOPENING

First read for me by this author, and this particular subject. This is on the whole a well written story about a young woman who is very naive, her parents had spoilt her her entire life. They belonged to a society called "The Rod and Cane" but she was unaware of the function of this club despite it's very revealing name. She meets her future husband at one of the clubs social events. Not long after they are married she deceives her husband, in a minor way, and he spanks her. Devastate...more
Lina Sacher
CLICK HERE FOR FULL REVIEW IN ITS NATURAL HABITAT

This is the first book by Cara Bristol that I have read and wow, I'm glad I did. I didn't know much about domestic discipline as a practice until I read this book. I've read other books that slant towards domestic discipline and spanking, but I always looked at that as another element of kink and as long as the male was Alpha enough, I didn't really care whether he was spanking the heroine or tying her up or just bossing her around... it's not the...more
Katerina Kinsley
Cara Bristol isn’t an author – she’s an artist. The page is her canvas; the words are her paint. The descriptive language used in “Unexpected Consequences” took my breath away. For instance, when I read the following line, I literally had to stop reading to fully appreciate the eloquent way Cara describes common restlessness:

“Her thoughts were like the shuttlecock in a badminton game: constantly in play, never at rest, always being batted about.”

“Unexpected Consequences” was full of poetic prose...more
Lace
Suppose the Rod and Cane Society is one of my new favorites. Presentation of thoughts and feelings seemed realistic. Some questions pondered by Melinda mirrored my own. Melinda, however, was a spoiled Daddy's girl, who twisted and finagled what she wanted without consequence. Guess I would too if the opportunity presented itself.

She thought her new husband would provide the same lack of restrictions/consequences as her father. Much to her surprise, Jared's commitment to domestic discipline was...more
Casea Major
At some point you have to accept who you are and what you enjoy. If you enjoy discipline spankings with your romance then you will love this book. The characters are complex and compelling. The story is well-written and rounded.

Melania is a young naive newlywed and Jared is her somewhat older husband who is also a member a fraternity of men who believe in spanking their wives. Jared and Melania both consent to this from the beginning, and although Melania understands what's in store, she doesn't...more
Lisa Medley
Wow! I have to say I had never read a book about domestic discipline before Unexpected Consequences. While the lifestyle is not for me, I really enjoyed this book. The writing and use of imagery was superb.

Torn between wanting to look away and not being able to turn the page fast enough, I blazed through this read. The sex is hot, hot, hot!

Not only did I enjoy the setup and the way the story played out, I was so intrigued, I immediately bought the next two in the Rod & Cane series as soon a...more
Angela
Not a bad tale of Domestic Discipline. Melania was a little irritating in her persistent need to ignore all signs of the lifestyle she was heading into even after written and verbal explanations. Yes, she defiantly needed that spanking and maintenance program!!
Casey Mckay
I really liked this book. It starts off a series and gives a glimpse into a life in a new marriage involving domestic discipline. I thought the characters were really well developed and it made me want to read the rest of the series.
Mary Roya
Light BDSM. In this story, the Rod and the Cane is an organization (hush, hush) that spank their wifes. The hero and heroine are very believable. The story was fun to read.
LoveRomance
Liked it better second time around, so upped it to 4 stars. Erotic ending. Looking forward to second book in series.
Kyle Wendy
Short little e-read about domestic discipline in a new marriage. Well written and thought provoking.
Munk
I admit I had a few eye roll moments but it was still a good quick tease. ;0)
Kira Barcelo
VERY hot book & a fun read! My first Cara Bristol, but not my last.
Sensuality
This book was amazing in the fact that it took my breathe away!
Erotic Fan: Contest to win the sequel of Unexpected Consequences 1 8 May 07, 2012 07:57AM
  • Pleasing the Colonel
  • Disciplining the Duchess
  • Traditional Love
  • Blushing Violet
  • Maintenance Night
  • The Game Plan
  • Under His Roof (Under His Roof #1)
  • In the Zone
  • Taken by the Beast (Taken By The Beast, #1)
  • Accidental Slave
  • Moving On (Bondage Ranch, #3)
  • Punished (Taboo Wishes, #1)
  • The Unrequited Dom
  • Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles, #1)
  • Lady of the Drake
  • By My Side (Safe Word: Oasis, #2)
  • Safeword Rainbow (Safeword, #1)
  • His Black Pearl (The Thrall,  #1)
Breeder (Breeder #1) False Pretenses (Rod and Cane Society, #2) Body Politics (Rod and Cane Society, #3) Terran (Breeder, #2) Coming to Terms