Start by marking “Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Bob Tarte had his first encounter with a cat when he was two and a half years old. He should have learned his lesson then, from Fluffy. But as he says, “I listened to my heart instead, and that always leads to trouble.” In this tell-all of how the Tarte household grew from one recalcitrant cat to six—including a hard-to-manage stray named Frannie—Tarte confesses to allowin ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Algonquin Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kitty Cornered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitty Cornered

Marley and Me by John GroganDewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOogy by Larry LevinAlex & Me by Irene M. Pepperberg
Animal Memoirs
45th out of 205 books — 114 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Very Favorite Books
394th out of 575 books — 441 voters

More lists with this book...

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 21, 2011 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Heather Nance
I finished reading this book yesterday and the first thing I thought of was, If you have cats, you will love this book. If you have animals in your home, you will love this book. If you need a good laugh, you will love this book.

I could not stop laughing as I read this story. Bob Tarte writes with sly humor about the trials of living with animals along with the impossibility of living without them. As I read along, I thought of a hundred people that I need to tell about this book. People who hav
Elaine Campbell
Bob Tarte is the only writer I know of who is both a humorist and a narrator of animal stories – true ones that he and his wife, Linda, have lived out firsthand under severe Michigan weather conditions and while having their own crosses to bear: Linda with a serious back problem and Bob who suffers emotionally at times. Yet they rise over and above difficult circumstances in this charming third newly-released book that followers of the Tarte's animal adventures will welcome with open arms.

This i
Deborah Darsie
I stopped reading around page 125 or so, after struggling with myself for the last 40+ pages.

The stories of the cats and their behaviors were, for me, overwhelmed by the miasma of the authors repetitive refrain of the human's physical and emotional issues.

I found myself grumbling at the writer, despite the fact that I have experienced the depressive side as well. I have yet to have laughed out loud and decided I was going to call it 'good enough' and move on to the next book.
McGuffy Morris
Bob Tarte has a very inviting, open manner of writing. His sense of humour and honesty are key elements as he writes about animals, his life with them, and himself. He has been a favourite author of mine since I read his first book, “Enslaved by Ducks”, followed by “Fowl Weather”.

In “Kitty Cornered”, Bob takes us back to his Michigan home to tell us about life with his cats. Bob sees within each cat a life worth saving and a story worth telling. With his humorous but keen insight, we learn how e
Cayr
Bob Tarte is back to regale readers with more hilarious pet stories in his third and funniest book so far, Kitty Cornered. Tarte’s previous two books highlighted his hijinks with his unruly flock of hook bills, ducks, chickens, geese and a cast of oddball characters; none, perhaps, as odd as Tarte himself.

Tarte’s feathered friends take a back seat in Kitty Cornered, which is centered around the cats of the Tarte household. As the story unfolds, three cats share the author’s home, Moobie, Agnes a
Joanne
This book starts with a ground-floor plan of Bob and Linda Tarte's home. There are indications of where things occur in this home, all related to the pets that this couple cohabitate with.
Bob and Linda are very into animals, with cats, birds, rabbits in the house and ducks and chickens in the barn.
Bob Tarte litters this book with the personalities of all the animals that encompass his life. There are cats already in the home, but more are acquired during the reading, including the one stray that
Tessa Dick
While pawing out treats to my furry friends, I quote the oft-repeated line in Kitty Cornered (after telling a cat no to the demand for treats), "while wiping the cat treat dust off my hands".

It's always difficult, and often impawssible to refuse a cat anything. They're purrsistent.

Cats rule my life, but at least I can point to Bob Tarte as a total cat slave, while I still manage to resist some of the more unreasonable demands from my furry task-masters.

This book is hilarious most of the time,
Sonia Reppe
Jun 30, 2012 Sonia Reppe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat owners + lovers
I am intrigued by cat behavior. I really liked the humor and the personal connection. This book wasn't just anecdotes, it was about Bob's life as a cat owner. He and his wife also have a lot of birds, and he wrote about that (Enslaved by Ducks). I haven't read it, and I probably won't, because I'm not that interested in birds, but if it falls into my hands I may read it because I liked Tarte's writing. Someday I will get more cats...
Jessica
I adored this book, especially since I have cats myself. I even found myself laughing out loud many times, which is very unusual for me. Bob Tarte is a fantastic writer and I feel like the animals are leaping off the pages as he tells the story. Can't wait to see where his next one takes us.
Christine
If you are a cat lover, then you will enjoy Kitty Cornered. As someone who is owned by a cat, I could see bits of myself in some of the stories. The Tarte household is much more than just cats, they also ducks, chickens and other assorted animals but the main story was about how they acquired their cats or as many people say, how the cats acquired their humans. The stories were funny and poignant. I could actually place myself in his shoes in some of the story. The author is a work in progress h ...more
Jen A.
Nov 21, 2012 Jen A. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Cute. Read this one as an advance copy, so there were some errors (one "far" was typed in as "fat"), and the editors will probably clean it up a bit more.

Tarte's observations toggled back and forth between witty, interesting and amusing to overly self-sabotaging. In a "comedy in contemporary culture" class that I took for my master's program, we examined the differences between comedians who either a) shoot other people down or b) shoot themselves down. Tarte is one of the latter, and sometimes
Susan
I'd like to give this book 2.5 stars, rather than 3. I thought I was going to enjoy it as much as the $64 Tomato, but that book still wins hands down.
Tarte's observations about his cats (and his parrots, parakeets, ducks, chickens, geese) are mostly entertaining and familiar, but the overall effect of the book is whiny. I'm not talking out of school, he goes on (and on) about his depression and sluggishness.
As usual, I'm not sure what book the blurb writers on the cover read :) While there are m
Ashley
In this tell all of how the Tarte household grew from one recalcitrant cat to six - including hard-to-manage stray named Frannie - Bob Tarte confesses to allowing these interlopers to shape his and his wife's life, from their dining habits to their sleeping arrangements to the placement and furriness of the furniture. But more than that, Bob begins seeing Frannie and the other cats as unlikely instructors in the art of achieving contentment - and realizes that sometimes wildness and mystery are ...more
Amanda
Would give it 3 1/2 stars if GoodReads allowed me to do so. It was a bit of a slow, gradual start, but once Tarte delved into the plot, this book about 5 quirky cats was amusing and easy to relate to as I have 2 amiable and unique cats of my own. I really enjoyed how Tarte illustrated each cat's personality and their friendships with one another through funny anecdotes. A good, quick, and easy read that only took me 2 weeks to finish - and this was during the school semester.
Jim Corbiere
Finished reading " Kitty Cornered " by Bob Tarte. This is one way I can tell how behind I am on my reading. I purchased this book the day it came out....in 2012. I did enjoy this book a lot and, like any book revolving around animals, I had a hard time putting it down. I think any animal lover especially cat lovers, will really enjoy this book.

It isn't necessary to read the previous two books ( Enslaved By Ducks and Fowl Weather ) but it really does help to show how many animals the Tarte's real
Jeanne
If you're an animal lover and haven't yet read any of Bob Tarte's books, you need to rush right out and get the first one, "Enslaved by Ducks." That was followed by "Fowl Weather," and then his latest, "Kitty Cornered." He is laugh-out-loud funny and his tales of how he went from not having any pets to having over 50, ducks, geese, parrots, canaries, rabbits, and cats are quite charming and endearing.
Billy
Fun to know that I'm not alone. A nice read exploring the unique and individual personalities, in the most literal sense, of our animal companions. I quickly recognized the things we do and the why we do them in Mr. Tarte's account. And maybe it will help me be just that little bit more patient with the kitten.
Mycala
Part heartwarming stories of beloved pets, part laugh out loud what-in-gods-name-were-they-thinking to take on more and more cats, this book was a lot of fun to read. I can't begin to imagine being responsible for such a menagerie of farm animals, birds, bunnies, and cats -- 50 in all -- but I tip my hat to anyone with this much heart.

If there's one thing I've learned about cats, it's that no two are alike and that their odd quirks can be amusing, maddening, fascinating -- sometimes all three si
Riccol
The cover blurb that described this as "laugh-out-loud" funny had me expecting, off course, a humorous tale. I didn't find it funny; any levity that might have been was obscured for me by the author's glumness. That said, it wasn't all bad for a quick read.
Carol
If you are a cat lover, you will love this book. Otherwise, you will think Bob and wife Linda are just plain nuts. Fortunately I am one of the former and could find myself and several cats I have shared my life with in these pages. A fun, light read.
Susan Amati
This book clearly defined the relationships between people and cats. As well as cats and cats. A real page turner and I laughed out loud several times. A great read that doesn't take much time at all.
Malerie
always a mood lifter with laughter on every page, Tarte is well accomplished in the best sort of self deprecation and I just love his writing style.
N.
4.5/5 - Really enjoyed this memoir about how the author became the owner of 6 cats.
Vanessa Wolf
Its a fine kitty story, the narrator was just too neurotic for my taste.
Marianna

A hilariously true story of how cats upend our lives.
Barbara
I liked this book though I did have trouble with the author's 'voice' or whatever you call it. This was the first of the trilogy of books by Bob Tarte on his pets that I read even though it was the last in the trilogy.

I haven't been 'trained' to read books and I am not that smart so I just read and try my best.

I liked the book and want to read the others but I also had trouble, like one other reviewer, with the 'humor' in the book. At points I wasn't sure if this guy was trying to be funny, try
Amy Softa
Not bad for Non-Fiction, which I normally don't enjoy. Happy it wasn't filled with sad tales of loosing beloved pets that are often featured in pet NF stories. Wasn't as funny as I was lead to believe, sure it made me chuckle a few times, but I have read funnier. Some sweet touching stories of how six cats came into this fellow's life. The main thing that bothered me throughout the book was the pessimistic attitude of the author, who apparently spends hour upon hours in bed. I understand he has ...more
Carnegie-Stout Public Library
"What makes this book so entertaining and heartwarming is Tarte’s earnestness to earn each cat’s affection... Each chapter tells the story of how each cat came to join the household, and the troubles and travails entailed."

Check out Allison's review on the library's blog: http://carnegiestout.blogspot.com/201...
Ellen
I found this a fun book but I think these people are insane. I can't fathom why anyone would want to live with 6 cats, parakeets, parrots, geese, ducks, chickens etc....
We live with 3 cats and a dog but even we have limits of tolerance for their behavior. I guess I should say that I am glad that there are people like this in the world to rescue these animals.
All About Animals: Kitty Cornered ...book discussion here: 13 16 Jul 04, 2013 05:39AM
  • My Cat Spit McGee
  • I Am Maru
  • A Snowflake in My Hand
  • Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm
  • Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean
  • All My Patients Kick and Bite: More Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis silvestris catus
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • Cleo
  • Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
Bob Tarte lives on the edge of a mink-infested, shoe-sucking swamp in West Michigan with his long suffering wife, Linda. Bob is the author of the books "Kitty Cornered," "Enslaved by Ducks," and "Fowl Weather."

Every Friday from 12:30-1:00 pm ET, one of the cats from "Kitty Cornered" answers lifestyle questions from other cats. Catch the LIVE cat comedy @BobTarte #Ask6Cats.
More about Bob Tarte...
Enslaved by Ducks Fowl Weather

“linoleum at the base of the refrigerator. The pressure-fit plastic lid, which hadn’t withstood the pressure of impact, had rolled under parrot Bella’s cage. With hearing finely tuned to recognize the distinctive characteristics of tuna-packed-in-oil slopping across the floor, Lucy had materialized to lap up the chemical spill. “How did you get in here with the door closed?” Linda said to her. “I guess I let her in before I went outdoors.” It was my latest ploy to get Lucy to like me. Snoozing under the dining room table was her latest gesture of defiance toward house rules, and I was helping her get away with it. “She doesn’t even look at the birds.” 0 likes