Start by marking “Elli: Coming of Age in the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Elli: Coming of Age in the Holocaust

Elli: Coming of Age in the Holocaust (Elli Friedmann)

From her small, sunny hometown between the beautiful Carpathian Mountains and the blue Danube River, Elli Friedmann was taken-at a time when most girls are growing up, having boyfriends and embarking upon the adventure of life-and thrown into the murderous hell of Hitler's Final Solution.

When Elli emerged from Auschwitz and Dachau just over a year later, she was fourteen.

Published 1994 by HarperCollinsPublishers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Elli, please sign up.

Angharad Lodwick This isn't a website for reading books, it's just a website for keeping track of what you read and what you'd like to read. If you see stuff you're…moreThis isn't a website for reading books, it's just a website for keeping track of what you read and what you'd like to read. If you see stuff you're interested in, you can mark it as "Want to Read", and then you just try to find a copy the usual way, like at the library, buy one from your local bookstore, buy an ebook or order a copy online.(less)

Anne-Marie
Sep 17, 2012 Anne-Marie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Anne-Marie by: no one...
This is definitely the saddest holocaust book I've ever read... It was even more graphic and disturbing than Night. When I started the book, I didn't even know it was about the Holocaust (I have an old version that just says "Ellie" on the cover and there are no pictures) so I had no idea what I was in for. It was extremely well-written and I couldn't put it down, but at the same time I kept thinking to myself, "Ahhh stop reading!" because it was just so sad. It's hard to believe that people eve ...more
Beth Bonini
Aug 23, 2012 Beth Bonini rated it it was amazing
I've been looking, for teaching purposes, for some fresh titles in the historical genre that I will just describe, rather baldly and awkwardly, as "war stories." AlthoughDiary of a Young Girl enthralled me when I was thirteen years old, it has not been enjoyed by my students. After two years of collective disinterest in Anne Frank's story, I'm looking for something new -- and hopefully, engaging. A friend of mine (who teaches history) recommended this book, and said that his 13 year old daughter ...more
Jacki
May 09, 2012 Jacki rated it it was amazing
I was required to read this book in high-school and like all others that you are forced to read while in school I really wasn't interested...that was until I actually read the book. It is an amazing read and makes you grateful for the little things in life.
Madeline
Heartbreaking. Terrifying. Real. These are just some of the words I can think of in relation to this book. It was the true fact behind everything that was written in Elli that made it hit hard at home for me, personally. I feel an enormous amounnt of anger towards Hitler and what he did. I don't know how Elli survived, knowing that if I was in her shoes I'd fall within a few weeks. Her strength was admirable to me and I liked how Livia detailed her life after she was released, it gave a sense of ...more
Lauren
Apr 04, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I read this book in High School and it was truly an incredible book! It is truly underrated and I think gets overshadowed by books like 'The Diary of Anne Frank' a must read. The descriptions were very graphic so they gave you a real insight into what was going on with the story.

If you enjoy War stories or movies of humans facing extreme circumstances then this book is a must read.
Cheryl
Sep 13, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I have read this book several times. I am passionate that we should all remember the atrocities of the Holocaust and we should NEVER let this happen again. We have had many many mass killings in many countries.......it needs to STOP!!
Wendy
Nov 02, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another one I read probably over twenty five years ago. And it's another I've kept for that long. A second reading should give a better idea of whether the book stands up over time.
Christa
Apr 06, 2013 Christa rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book. It was written very well and a touching story. Very amazing.
Bella
Nov 15, 2010 Bella rated it really liked it
Elli is a Jewish girl who is 13 when the Nazis invade Hungary in 1944. This heartbreaking memoir describes the horrors and degradation suffered by her and her family during the Holocaust. Tragic, compelling and inspiring.
Daisy
May 21, 2009 Daisy rated it really liked it
Isabel
Jun 14, 2009 Isabel rated it really liked it
Joshua Mcdonald
Nov 29, 2015 Joshua Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Holy. Shit.

All i knew picking up this book was that it was called Elli and wasn't too long. I have read a few stories about the holocaust now, but holy crap this is the most graphic.
**SPOILER**
I especially enjoyed the end where the war ends, but the book doesnt go on to end with a short sentence, but continues to tell about how difficult it was, traveling home and on to other cities and countries to find families, only to discover who died by gas, in the camps, in death marches, or days before
Anja
Dec 30, 2012 Anja rated it it was amazing

My favorite holocaust book. Loved it far more than Night. Raw and real. Read it many times, and it still manages to shock and provoke strong feelings every time.
Shirl Turner (woolf)
Jan 18, 2013 Shirl Turner (woolf) rated it it was amazing
This is a great inspirational book about a family but mainly focuses on Elli. Very well written and is one of those books you want to read over and over.
Aveen
Apr 22, 2016 Aveen rated it really liked it
Having read quite a few Holocaust/ WWII survivor stories I can say that this one is definitely worth reading and I found myself wanting to know what happened next. As always, it hits you that these things really happened and just what the Jews had to go through. Much of what I read in this book I had already known through other accounts that I read but there is always someone that you can take away from each survivors story. To have survived seemed massively based on sheer luck and on mental det ...more
Joanne G.
Note to self: I believe this is the older version of I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing Up in the Holocaust.
Carly
Aug 01, 2012 Carly rated it it was amazing
Have read this book several times now. Absolutely loved it in a really depressing, heartbreaking kind of way.
Siobhan
Jun 17, 2016 Siobhan rated it it was ok
This book was very disturbing but real
Simon
Feb 21, 2010 Simon rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and devastating.
Tori
Jul 27, 2011 Tori rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing.
Nicole
Jun 11, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing
What a truly horrific book. The way it is written allows the reader to picture everything that is told,which in some books is fantastic as you can really place yourself right into the story. But in this book it isn't a good thing to be able to picture everything that is going on and at many times while reading this I just had to put it down and walk away as there were just so many tragic details. But in saying that this book is an amazing eye opener. I have read many books of Hitlers reign over ...more
Patience
Sep 05, 2014 Patience rated it it was amazing
This was my first time reading this book and I could not put it down. Elli is very detailed and descriptive in her experiences during the holocaust and the camps. This is one of the saddest books I've read in a while. I personally did not like how the book ended, I would have liked to know more about Elli after the war.
Lo
Jun 01, 2015 Lo rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I was in primary school. If I remember correctly, I was about 12 or 13 at the time, and I loved it. It was a tragic book, and one of the first books to ever reduce me to tears.
Since then I've re-read it multiple times and I expect I will continue to do so.
Paul
Sep 18, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
An incredibly detailed and disturbing Holocaust recount. The descriptions are vivid and unflinching, and her journey is inspiring. If you want a detailed account of the Holocaust, then this is the supreme book. However, in terms of narrative, brevity, and depth - "Night" by Elie Wiesel is the better read.
Jacinta
Apr 13, 2015 Jacinta rated it really liked it
Incredibly powerful book, I read this at about Elli's age, I suppose it was the most age appropriate experience of one of the most significant human tragedies of our time. Heartbreakingly good read.
Tearnha
Jan 10, 2015 Tearnha rated it liked it
The book was really sad what the Jews were treated like in the war was terrible. People die for no reason because they didn't have enough food or were too cold or need help or got kill for no reason at all. I am so glad that her family is alive but her dad pass away.
Riley Haddock
Apr 16, 2015 Riley Haddock rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Great Book, Really enjoyed it. The last 100 pages though were a bit slow. Overall good book and would recommend this to any teenage girl
Ronnie Ong
Aug 01, 2016 Ronnie Ong rated it it was amazing
This was one book that really sets me into the world of a holocaust survivor. Perhaps it was narrated with so much emotions that I could really feel every bit of what elli went through. Never again, really.
Tian
Mar 28, 2015 Tian rated it liked it
This book was so sad and disturbing I just wanted to cry at the end. It was a captivating book but I never want to have to read it again.
Apr 28, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
This book i found really intense, i had to keep reminding myself that this is a true story. It just didn't seem believable that something that horrific could have happen to a person, it's just sad that a human being could treat another human being that way.
Elli 1 12 Jan 22, 2013 10:30PM
  • The 23rd Psalm: A Holocaust Memoir
  • Reading the Holocaust
  • Edith's Story
  • The Lost Childhood: A World War II Memoir
  • Home Front Girl: A Diary of Love, Literature, and Growing Up in Wartime America
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival