Start by marking “A.B.C. contre Poirot” as Want to Read:
A.B.C. contre Poirot

A.B.C. contre Poirot (Hercule Poirot #13)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  46,645 Ratings  ·  1,629 Reviews
Bien sûr, la retraite a ses charmes... Cependant, Hercule Poirot ne peut s'empêcher, de temps à autre, de reprendre du service. Oh! pas pour n'importe quelle affaire, bien entendu. Un détective aussi célèbre que lui ne se dérangerait pas pour un meurtre ordinaire. Non, Hercule Poirot ne s'intéresse qu'aux crimes les plus déroutants, les plus passionnants, les plus... Bref, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 189 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Le Livre de Poche (first published January 6th 1936)

To ask other readers questions about A.B.C. contre Poirot, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brandy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jason Koivu
Jan 17, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Agatha Christie is such a crafty devil that midway through a novel she might have you believing that YOU are the murderer!

Indeed, The ABC Murders uses slight-of-hand most deftly. Again, I was thrown off the scent of the real killer and was ready to blame others. I feel a bit foolish when she dangles bait in front of me, and although I guess it for what it is, I take it anyway. And yet, if ever it felt good to be played the fool, it's while reading a cracking good mystery.

Ah, but never fear, Her
Valerie
May 28, 2010 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geometry Students
Recommended to Valerie by: Grandma
Shelves: math
I try to get my math students to read mysteries, because the logical skills of finding a pattern and using inductive and deductive reasoning are often skillfully laid out. If you've read this book, you know why its one that I use to illustrate that point in my class. Sadly, the point is underappreciated by my high school students.
Amy (shoutame)
Oct 28, 2015 Amy (shoutame) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Agatha Christie is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors and definitely a go-to author for when I fancy a quick pick-me-up!

This novel is the 13th book in the Hercule Poirot series, I am reading them out of order as I'm just grabbing them from my library's e-book collection when they become available - although I don't think it matters too much if you read them slightly out of order!

- This novel follows Poirot as he endeavours to solve a series of mysterious murders. After receiving an ano
Dina
Oct 21, 2010 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mitch
Sep 26, 2011 Mitch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin my review, let me start off my saying I am a HUGE fan of Agatha Christie. Throughout the years I have always used her novels as "go to" books if I am in a literary dry spell and yearn to read something I am guarentee to enjoy. My girl Aggie usually hits the spot! However, sadly, I must say that "The A.B.C. Murders" is thus far my least favourite of all her books.

The following may contain spoilers:

Poirot, everyone's favourite detective, receives a mysterious letter warning him of
Alexandra
3,5-3,75 (I CAN'T DECIDE) STARS.

I'm not going to write a big review here, so don't be afraid of spoilers.

I just wanted to say that this book is really good and the whole idea of "The A.B.C. Murders" was pretty intriguing.

But the ending was disappointing (for me personally).

I was waiting for something like this (As usual, when it comes to detective stories.):  photo zomg_zpsxoq90vlt.gif

But in the end I was like: Yeah? And all this time it was BLABLABLA? That's good. Right? Nice move, Agatha. Despite the fact, that I pretty
Tracey
Feb 20, 2015 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 4-star
What: paperback
What else: First person narrative
Wherefore: it was on Mount TBR, and my Kindle was acting up

Hastings: "I admit," I said, "that a second murder in a book often cheers things up."

Poirot has semi-retired, but has discovered he is no better suited to the state than Holmes is said to have been, and so lets it be known that he is available to take those cases that interest him (again, like Holmes). At the beginning of this tale Hastings has come home to England from his ranch in Argent
❆ Crystal ❆
Review for audiobook ~ 5 stars story 5 stars narration
I love Poirot. I've seen most of the shows and read a few of the books. I couldn't pass up this full-cast dramatization audiobook Poirot s Finest Cases Eight Full-Cast BBC Radio Dramatisations Poirot s Finest Cases Eight Full-Cast BBC Radio Dramatisations by Agatha Christie. This is the 1st of 8 and I loved it. Very well done. I can't wait to hear the rest of them.
The narration was superb with 5+ stars. It was a wonderful way to spend my time.
Grace
May 04, 2008 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Poirot tales, though I often get a little impatient with the ones which are told from the first person narrative of Captain Hastings, who frequently plays Watson to the Belgian detective's Sherlock. These stories, in particular, often seem a bit too heavily padded with scenes where the two men conference - Poirot speaks very enigmatically about the case, Hastings gets frustrated, and Poirot admonishs him to "use the little grey cells." Mystery investigations are by their nature rathe ...more
Kirstine
I got 10 of these books for my birthday, so there might be a few reviews in the foreseeable future. I grew up reading Agatha Christie, and to this day she's one of my go-to authors when I want a comfy, interesting and straight-to-the-chase book.

This one is very good. Poirot is at his best and for once directly involved in the murders, as the murderer contacts him beforehand. I had an inkling of where the story would be headed, but I hadn't figured it out before the big reveal. It will keep you
Stela
Definitely, Agatha Christie is one of the best. I read this book a long time ago (in my teenage years, I think) and although I had a vague recollection of the plot, the narrative seemed to contradict my memories until the very last pages.

Furthermore, it was so relaxing a reading that I'm looking forward to the next one on my shelf (i've decided to read three or four Christie in a row). Maybe after finishing them I will write a more extensive (and synthetic) review.
Thomas Strömquist
Long before The Silence of the Lambs and The Bone Collector, there were odd and quirky serial killers.

Hercule Poirot encountered one in the mid-30's (just as retirement was approaching) and this murderer brought death by alphabetical order. Agatha Christie's Poirot books are most often quite entertaining and good, this one is no exception!
Farzane
May 03, 2016 Farzane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
داستان قتل های سریالی ک بر اساس حروف الفبا جلو میروند و با گذاشتن یک دفترچه ی قطار از نوع "ا ب س " ک نوعی مارکدار کردن است در حال وقوع اند .
پوآرو مثل همیشه با زیرکی قاتل را ک برادر مقتول سوم است تشخیص میدهد . این قاتل شخصی مستعصل و دارای صرع را ک زیاد ب خودش مطمدن نیست را طعمه ای برای قاتل بودن قرار میدهد ...
Hengameh
Jul 14, 2015 Hengameh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
خیلی جنایت پیشرفته تری بود به نظرم نسبت به کل سری های دیگه ی پوآرو که از کتابا خوندم یا فیلماشو دیدم.بعد از قتل توی قطار سریع السیر این دومین داستانیه که با اختلاف از بقیه سر تر بود.

خوبی کتابای آگاتا کریستی اینه که آدم میشینه یه دفعه 200-300 صفحه میخونه تموم میشه کتاب. با اعصاب هم بازی نمی کنه خدا روشکر
Haiiro
Mar 13, 2016 Haiiro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hình như có lần tôi nghe loáng thoáng đâu đó là Agatha Christie không mấy ưa Conan Doyle (?) thì đọc cuốn này được chứng kiến một màn mỉa mai hơi bị thẳng thừng của thám tử béo Poirot nhắm vào người tình trong mơ của nhiều thiếu nữ - ngài Holmes trứ danh. Agatha Christie đúng là một quý bà hài hước.

Và không kém phần sắc sảo. Tôi phải thừa nhận thế. Những câu văn của bà dù cũng có đôi chút nữ tính, song nét trung tính có vẻ chiếm phần nhiều. Nếu không được ám thị trước rằng tác giả là một phụ nữ,
Ahmad Sharabiani
The A.B.C. Murders, Agatha Christie
عنوان: قتلهای الفبایی؛ نویسنده: آگاتا کریستی؛ مترجم: محمدعلی ایزدی؛ تهران، هرمس، کارآگاه، 1392، در 278 ص؛
Reem Alhalboni
أعتقد أن هذه الرواية من أمتع ما قرأت!
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 08, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
I recently read a biography of Agatha Christie and it gave me a hankering to read one of hers I had never tried. I've heard The A. B. C. Murders called one of her best, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I thoroughly enjoyed myself from beginning to end, and goodness this was a fast read--just a few hours. It's a short novel, and Christie is very dialogue heavy and undemanding, so her books zip right along. I was amused early on by the little jokes about the detective novel in the repartee between ...more
Chris
Hercule Poirot is not having fun at this party.

Our favorite little Belgian detective's little gray cells are most offended by the actions of the ABC killer. Why? Because this is, to use his term, a "public" murder. Messr. Poirot is much more comfortable with "personal" murders where there the deed is done to act out one of those common (and personal between the killer and victim) human emotions like greed, lust, jealousy, desire for revenge, or a quest for power---but usually cash is king. In M
El
Anytime someone talks to me about Agatha Christie lately, I find myself heaving a big sigh. By all accounts I should be all over this lady, I should be ripping through her mysteries like no one's bidness. But so far each of the books I've read feel interchangeable and if you were to ask me the plot of one over another I'd probably tactfully change the topic. Or say, "Look, a deer!" and run the other direction.

I'm not discounting what Christie has done for detective fiction, or what she has done
Cata
Dec 07, 2012 Cata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestados, 2012
3,5 estrelas

Penso que por esta altura não é segredo que sou uma grande fã de Agatha Christie, apesar de gostar mais de alguns livros do que de outros [o que é absolutamente normal].

Dito isto, Os Crimes do ABC apresenta uma sinopse extremamente sedutora. Aliado à sinopse, existe uma frase logo no Prefácio que conseguiu captar a minha atenção:
”Quanto à resolução do mistério do ABC, só posso dizer que, na minha opinião, Poirot se revelou um verdadeiro génio no modo como lidou com um problema compl
Andrea
Dec 25, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very different kind of mystery from the Dame. Hastings is back for a visit and assists Poirot in pursuing a serial killer, who follows alphabetical order for choosing his victims! There is also a separate point of view within narrative that complicates things. Oh, and Papa Poirot acts as a Cupid in the end once again.

Grisly fact: there were three real-life Alphabet Murders committed in the early 70's in New York State, which to this day are unsolved. Life imitates art.
Rachel
Mar 27, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I might lower this to a 2 since I'm feeling 2.5 stars...This is definitely my least favorite Agatha Christie book, and while it was still enjoyable, it just didn't have the "magic" that her books usually have, and it didn't seem unique or particularly engrossing ever. I also found the characters of this to be quite lackluster.

So I thought it was just okay. I didn't dislike it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

P.S- This was the first book my school book club read, and we all pretty much had the same t
Vishakha Motwani
Feb 06, 2016 Vishakha Motwani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime-mystery fans
Shelves: 2015
My first Agatha Christie novel and I'm looking forward to read more of her books. I just find the chapters that are not from Hastings Narrative a bit confusing and sometimes I felt there were too many characters to keep track of, I had to pause briefly to remember who he/she was.

But eventually I got a hang of it, I like books with unexpected yet good endings, I'm glad I read the book, because until the end I was pretty sure the way it is going to end but.....

I like it overall and I would love to
Julie Davis
Jan 02, 2014 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really shouldn't have started this book since I have so many others I'm reading right now. However, I saw it was $1.99 for the Kindle and couldn't resist. This is one of my favorite Poirot mysteries, partially because of the other character through whose eyes we see during the book.

After reading Sherlock Holmes fairly devotedly for a while, I am rather stunned to see what a dunderhead Captain Hastings is compared to Dr. Watson. However, I'm enjoying the book quite a lot. I recall a couple of
Alberto
Jun 02, 2015 Alberto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No more than 3.5 stars.

Don't want to spoiler anything but the ending was kind of predictable. While I didn't figure out every detail, there was really only one plausible solution, so I guessed almost exactly.

(This was my very last AC. I wish I had finished stronger.)
Bev
I've mentioned before how difficult it is for me to review audio novels. I tend to just sink back and listen rather than pay attention to details and take notes for review comments. My latest session with Hercule Poirot in The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936) is no different. It doesn't even help that I've read the novel before--because that was long ago when I was first discovering Christie. For the most part, I enjoyed this BBC production of the novel--although I have to admit, after w ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Sep 29, 2015 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure how Agatha Christie thinks of all this. As I was reading the book I thought well this is sure a different book from Christie's others. More like a police procedural in which the criminal is known and they try to catch them. Then she flips the table at the end and I just shook my head and wondered how you think of things like that.

This appears to be a homicidal killer who is very obsessive compulsive. He kills someone with the first and last name starting with the letter "A" in a to
Abby
Mar 09, 2016 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books seriously need to be written in this style again. I love older mystery novels and Agatha Christie is the ultimate author in that genre. I always love to curl up with one of her mysteries for a fun read. The ABC Murders isn't one of her best, featuring a murderer who kills by letters of the alphabet, down to the letters of their names and the city they live in. There wasn't much to the story and the "big reveal" wasn't terribly exciting.
Shruti Rawat
Apr 18, 2016 Shruti Rawat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i recently read this book.It was refreshing to have a main character, the dapper Poirot, instead of some gritty detective with emotional problems. Poirot is brilliant, polished, and funny. He’s even well-adjusted. I also appreciated the fact that the story was told from the perspective of Poirot’s friend, Captain Hastings, meaning that I was left out of Poirot’s thought-processes, so every twist and turn was a surprise.

The story starts out with the arrival of a teasing letter at Poirot’s home. I
Crime and mystery 8 13 May 01, 2016 03:52PM
Agatha Christie L...: September 2012 - The A.B.C. Murders 35 111 Apr 26, 2016 10:55PM
abc 1 19 Jan 10, 2016 12:07AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 48 The ABC Murders 1 2 Jul 17, 2015 01:33PM
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • Prisoner's Base (Nero Wolfe, #21)
  • The Sanctuary Sparrow (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #7)
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery #9)
  • L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“Words, madmoiselle, are only the outer clothing of ideas.” 140 likes
“It's like all those quiet people, when they do lose their tempers they lose them with a vengeance.” 106 likes