Start by marking “Timeless Adventures: How Doctor Who Conquered TV” as Want to Read:
Timeless Adventures: How Doctor Who Conquered TV

Timeless Adventures: How Doctor Who Conquered TV

This critical history of Doctor Who covers the series 45 years, from the creation of the show to its triumph as Britain's #1 TV drama.Opening with an in-depth account of the creation of the series within the BBC of the early 1960s, each decade of the show is tackled through a unique political and pop cultural historical viewpoint, exploring the links between contemporary B ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Oldcastle Books (first published October 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Timeless Adventures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timeless Adventures

Erik
May 31, 2010 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I know. I’m getting my Who on a little too much lately. But you know what? I can’t get enough! The new Who is so much dang fun – and I do mean the latest and eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith, too.(Admit it: If you saw the TARDIS, you too would hop on in in a New York minute. I know I would.)

Robb’s concise history of Doctor Who is a quick and absorbing read that is a great overview of the history of this nearly fifty-year-old British television show. (The folks at Guiness have it clocked in at t
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 23, 2009 Nicholas Whyte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I'm not sure why I bought this particular guidebook to Doctor Who between 1963 and 2009, and I don't think I would recommend it to other readers. It tries to do several things - outlining the history of the show and plot synopses of the best remembered episodes, tying in to social and political events of the time, looking at literary and genre sources - but doesn't do any of them very thoroughly. Fans who have already dipped into reference books about th
F.R.
Aug 20, 2010 F.R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An undemanding breeze through forty-five years of televisual history, but one that – even though the author strives for it – fails to achieve any real level of depth.

Robb’s thesis is that Doctor Who, at its very best, conforms to the Swiftian ideal of Science Fiction and Fantasy – in that it comments directly on the political and sociological world around it. He’s very good at pointing out instances of that, but never subjects these instances to any great scrutiny. The reader is rarely given eno
Kevinjwoods
While good the expanded edition suffers badly from a lack of proofreading leading one to assume that it was expanded simply by adding on another chapter.
Two examples at one point it states that now in 2008 there are only 106 missing episodes, not noticing that another 12 have been found, and in the review of Terror of the zygons it is astonished they have never reappeared despite the last chapter mentioning their reappearance.
These tend to make you more suspicious of other statements of fact wit
Jon
Dec 25, 2011 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To quote the Doctor: Fantastic!

As an American I had very little idea that the show was so politically driven, even though I've seen basically every one of the classic episodes. It was delightful to see the history of the show cozied up against the political backdrop of the UK at the time so nicely.

Sadly, at only 2 or 3 years old this book is already starting to sound out of date. Matt Smith and Stephen Moffat have already changed the show drastically. It'd be interesting to see what Robb has to
Steven
May 13, 2014 Steven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting but very dry. I learned some fascinating things about this popular program. However towards the end I had a hard time getting through it. The last few chapters are nothing but a quick synopsis of the show. I was kind of curious of why Christopher Eccleston left the show. Nothing on it. The book isn't worth buying. It's worth a quick look but get it from the library.
Aug 27, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-uni-books
Doctor Who as an academic subject. If you're reading this for funsies you might find it dry and/or heavy. However, if like me you're reading it for use in an essay and/or dissertation then bravo! you've found a good source.
Outlines the history of the programme, comparing Who happenings to context at the time - both worldwide and inside the studios.
Tara Brabazon
I was torn between two and three stars for this book. It is a chronological narrative of Doctor Who's televisual history. The well-worked terrain of the original series is well handled here. But the book is pretty disastrous when hitting 'Nu-Who.' A very basic narrative ensues, composed of basic press releases and narrative outlines of the episodes.
Lindsey
Jun 13, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought and read this book for my Broadcast Media essay that examined the relationship of Doctor Who, the BBC, and British culture in the late 19th century. As a fan of Doctor Who and sci-fi, it was enjoyable to read about the origins and history of the show, as well as how fandom was back then. Definitely an interesting and satisfying read~
Craig Stevens
A reasonably interesting history of the show, concentrating mainly on the first few Doctors, but leading right up to the 2010 season.
Krista Ivy
yay for nerds.
David
Jul 28, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the history of Dr. Who and how it has related to social issues, popular culture, etc.
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
James
James rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Derek Mclelland
Derek Mclelland rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Avril
Avril rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Stan Barker
Stan Barker rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Matthew Vandrew
Matthew Vandrew rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Zanriel
Zanriel rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2014
Quidling
Quidling rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Helen Zimmel
Helen Zimmel rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Al
Al rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Jutta
Jutta rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Nathalie
Nathalie rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Graham Muir
Graham Muir rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2013
David S.
David S. rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
MS A ROBBINS
MS A ROBBINS rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Louisa Heath
Louisa Heath rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2012
12042
Brian J. Robb is the New York Times and Sunday Times bestselling biographer of Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, and Brad Pitt. He has also written books on silent cinema, the films of Philip K. Dick, Wes Craven, and Laurel and Hardy, the Star Wars movies, Superheroes, Gangsters, and Walt Disney, as well as science fiction television series Doctor Who and Star Trek. His illustrated books include an ...more
More about Brian J. Robb...