Start by marking “The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors

The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors

Why does the sinking of the Titanic hold such fascination for us? Many reasons have been advanced for the continuing fascination of this epic tragedy, but none, we think, can contribute as much to an understanding of it as the four accounts collected in this volume.
All four authors were survivors, and each presents the catastrophe from his own viewpoint; the icy waters, th
Published June 1st 1960 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors

A Night to Remember by Walter LordTitanic by Don LynchThe Night Lives On by Walter LordVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson WhiteThe Discovery of the Titanic by Robert D. Ballard
Best Titanic Books
21st out of 107 books — 132 voters
In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel PhilbrickEndurance by Alfred LansingA Change of Plans by Donna K. WeaverThe Perfect Storm by Sebastian JungerA Night to Remember by Walter Lord
Shipwrecks!
9th out of 60 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
Apr 30, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
This is 4 accounts from 4 different survivors - Lawrence Beesley, one of the few 2nd class male passengers to survive - Archibald Gracie, a first class passenger - Commander Lightoller, the highest ranked surviving officer and Harold Bride, one of the Marconi telegraph operators.

Four different accounts, mainly consistent, with different elaborations and focuses. All interesting.

Well worth reading.
Rose Ann
Apr 04, 2011 Rose Ann rated it it was amazing
This book is made up of 4 stories of survivors of the Titanic, with amazing photos and drawings as well.
I've broken out my review by each story told.
Overall, just a heartbreaking event that never should have happened. Many brave souls that night.

The Loss of the S.S. Titanic
Its Story And Its Lessons by Lawrence Beesley:
Originally published in 1912. Unabridged...
Guess I dont really need to worry about spoilers with this one.
I don't know where to begin or what to say. I have always been fascinated
joy
Jul 13, 2007 joy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Titanic history lovers, obviously
This was though drawn out at times, such a moving story. At one point one of the authors goes into a very eloquent description of how beautiful the night was and how as they were rowing through that frigid night the stars seemed to be trying to give extra power to their efforts. Another particularly descriptive event though gut-wrenching speaks of the people in the life boat having to keep rowing despite the desperate screams for help from those drowning. I learned a lot about the rescues and ...more
Sheila
Feb 28, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A complilation of four books about the Titanic:

1. The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: written by a surviving passenger

2. The Truth About The Titanic: Written by a passenger, who died before the book was published.

3. Titanic and Other Ships: Written by Second Officer Charles Lightoller, the only officer to survive the sinking.

4. Thrilling Tale by Titanic's Surviving Wireless Man: written by the Marconi wireless operator on the ship, who survived on an overturned boat.

These four stories really gave me a
Eric
I bought this book off the clearance rack at Barnes and Noble for about three or four dollars. It was quite a find, actually, because it contains invaluable eyewitness accounts of the Titanic disaster.

This volume contains two books, one by British science student Lawrence Beesley, the other by Archibald Gracie, a retired colonel from the U.S. Army. Of the two, Gracie's is a more compelling personal story, while Beesley offers a fine overview and analysis of the disaster. The book is rounded out
Terri M.
Mar 20, 2016 Terri M. rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I have been fascinated with the Titanic since I was in first or second grade. I was really excited join the book club at the local library and read these autobiographies in honor of the 100th anniversary of the ships maiden voyage and subsequent sinking.

There are 4 separate stories in this book. The first one contains some quite elaborate prose. The author goes into great deal about the individuals he met on the voyage and the rundown of what happened on the ship until is sunk. Overall, the sto
Luis Cervantes
Feb 28, 2015 Luis Cervantes rated it it was amazing
In The story of the Titanic as told by its survivors by Lawrence Beesley, Archibald Gracie, Commander Lightoller, and Harold Bride. The author’s message was not to believe everything that people say. We understand this message through event of the sinking of the Titanic. The people were told that the Titanic was supposedly unsinkable which resulted to be false after the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank.
This is a very memorable book remembering everyone that died in the tragic incident that shock
Nancy
Sep 04, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Stories from survivors include Lawrence Beesley, Archibald Gracie, Commander Lightoller and wireless man, Harold Bride.
Human error, weather changes and hubris brought down the Titanic on her maiden voyage. This is an interesting book because it is not just one perspective of the sinking, but comes from various passengers and ship employees.

From Beesley's account, and not about the sinking, but about the sensationalist press publicity surrounding it:
"It should be a criminal offense for anyone
Susan
Sep 04, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
This unbelievable narrative account from the surviving passengers and a few members of the crew express their fear, panic and despair as they float in the freezing sea awaiting rescue or even death. This narrative account gives the surreal feeling of how dire the situation really is and what each member of those left had to do to keep their psychological wits about them.

The narrative describes the emotional and traumatic ending to idea that a ship that was meant to be unsinkable and the incredi
Molly
Apr 24, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
I chose this book as part of a Titanic book club that I did at the library. I found the accounts from the survivors fascinating and insightful. The accounts were also much different than the more well known stories surrounding this disaster. Even 100 years after its sinking, the Titanic still has so much to tell!
Mandy Carragher
Jun 11, 2015 Mandy Carragher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting and extremely factual. I found it interesting that most of the accounts were devoid of much emotion and yet the horror of the event was quite clear. I am curious whether the accounts were less emotional because of the official inquiries, the language of the day, or just the shock of the event.
Lex
Stopped a little more than halfway through because it was getting so repetitive. It is interesting to read what was regarded as common tales at the time of the sinking that we now know to be untrue (e.g. Many parties insist the ship didn't break in two when we now know that it did). This book might be better for people who are more die-hard than I am about he specifics of the disaster.
Chester Wallace
Aug 19, 2013 Chester Wallace rated it it was amazing
One of the best books written about the Titanic sinking from different survivors perspectives. Four books in one. First book by second-class passenger Lawrence Beesley, second book by first-class passenger Archibald Gracie. Then books by two crewmembers.....Second Officer Charles Lightoller and Junior Wireless Operator Harold Bride.
Kylie Martin
Jul 07, 2014 Kylie Martin rated it it was amazing
Lawrence beesley gives a very balanced view of the nights events. certainly informative and he describes events well
the story of gracie is s lot easier to read even though a lot more research and detail is contained lightoller I think explained his reasons for sending boats not full. bride just seemed arrogant to me
Andrew
Jul 01, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
It is quaint to read how certain everyone is that the ship never broke and how everyone had an irrational fear about suction. True first hand accounts about the Titanic are incredible to read and it is interesting to hear how much witness accounts can vary. It gets a little tiring hearing things repeated however.
Katie
Oct 07, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
There are some nuggets of pure truth in this book. As I read this, I felt some voice tell me that I should pay close heed to the things I have learned from reading these experiences. Not that I may encounter a sinking ship in freezing waters, but that there would be times in my life where I would need to act and act in a valiant manner.
Joanna Doherty Salone
Jan 16, 2016 Joanna Doherty Salone rated it really liked it
Good one. Lots of detail about the event as well as opinions of the survivors about why this happened and how it was handled. Many first -hand accounts enabling the reader to see the tragedy from different viewpoints and situations.
Helen Barnes
Nov 13, 2012 Helen Barnes rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book for anyone with a depth of love for the tragedy, majesty & story of the white star liner. The stories of the survivors are so harrowing & unnerving...yet if you really want transporting to the time of sinking this book will put you there!
Suzy
Jun 03, 2016 Suzy rated it really liked it
It was very interesting to hear from the survivors accounts. It also debunked myths such as the band playing "Nearer My God" to thee or about how everyone was hysterical and panicking. I really enjoyed reading the book, but of course, I feel sad and kind of angry for those who were lost.
Lana Higbee
Jul 11, 2011 Lana Higbee rated it really liked it
Little dry, but really interesting to read about the disaster (soon after it happened) from those who were there. Also interesting as a psychological study of people in disasters.
Kellie
Sep 08, 2010 Kellie rated it it was amazing
This book was a sad commentary yet extremely intriguing and fascinating. I really enjoyed the firsthand account from the survivors. It opened my eyes and made me want to delve into it even more!
Kevin
Oct 08, 2010 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Any Titanic fan simply HAS to have this in their collection. The personal accounts of the sinking are very stark, very honest, and will have you on the edge of your seat!
Kimberly
Mar 21, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
An amazing book, especially for those obsessed with Titanic such as myself. But man, what racists all four of these people were!
Hope
Aug 22, 2014 Hope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, history
One of the most riveting non-fiction books you will ever read! Dispels many of the myths that surround the sinking of the Titanic. But adds many stories you've never heard before.
Meg
Aug 06, 2011 Meg rated it really liked it
A great book, and a definite must for anybody studying the Titanic and more importantly: her passengers.
Aiman Hakim
Aiman Hakim rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Leila
May 25, 2014 Leila rated it it was amazing
Amazing . A must read for anyone fascinated with the Titanic tragedy.
Carol
Carol rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2016
Booklover
Booklover rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2011
  • Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • Ghosts Of The Abyss: A Journey Into The Heart Of The Titanic
  • Titanic Survivor
  • The Night Lives On
  • The Discovery of the Titanic
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Titanic: A Survivor's Story
  • Unsinkable: The Full Story Of The RMS Titanic
  • Lost Voices From the Titanic: The Definitive Oral History
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler
  • 882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic
  • And the Band Played On: The Titanic Violinist & the Glovemaker: A True Story of Love, Loss & Betrayal
  • Down with the Old Canoe: A Cultural History of the Titanic Disaster