Start by marking “The Murder of Jesus” as Want to Read:
The Murder of Jesus

The Murder of Jesus

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The pieces are in place. The curtain rises for the final act. God is about to die.

An unprecedented conspiracy of injustice, cruelty, and religious and political interests sentenced a man guilty of no crimes to the most barbaric method of execution ever devised. The victim was no mere man. Jesus was God in the flesh. The Creator of life "died."

How did such a thing come to b
Published April 1st 2004 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder of Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder of Jesus

Zabdiel Rodriguez
Un estudio detallado acerca de los acontecimientos previos a la crucifixión de Jesús del Nazareth, el Hijo de Dios. Desde la ultima pascua celebrada junto a sus discípulos, el juicio inmoral al que fue sujeto por parte del sanedrín, su comparecencia ante Poncio Pilato, hasta la horrenda pena capital de la que fue victima; John MacArthur nos pasea por escenarios, perfiles de los protagonistas y doctrinas fundamentales que envuelven la muerte sacrificial del Mesías judío.

"El Asesinato de Jesús" pr
Heather Leipart
Loved it! Very thorough and on point. It is not just an ordinary retelling of events or summarizing generally over stuff most people already know. No, this is a pretty in-depth look at what happened, why it happened, and everything was backed with scripture! In fact, in the back of the book there is an entire reference section dedicated to all the scripture used. So well done.
I found there were some holes in my knowledge and so these areas were of particular interest to me. I learned the man
Kristin
A great Easter read for me. Brought me to tears a few times and clarified much of the timeline for me.
Carl
John Macarthur has in no way disappointed the readers that want clear and concise scripture to stand on in these last days. The denied truth is that only a sect of people were at fault for the death of Christ but truthfully we all stood in the crowd screaming "crucify him". Can you see yourself standing in the crowd. If not read this along side of scripture and you will realize that we all have sinned and it is because of that sin He died.
Justin
This is a most excellent book that can be read alongside of the Passion. I found it to be one of those reads that was hard to put down. I found it to be informative and a book that just has to be read once a year or once every few years. Despite the criticism that MacArthur may recieve for his out-spoken opinion, he is well educated, well read and a great author.
Sep 24, 2010 Sarah is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love the book and it is helping me a lot in knowing Jesus more and how gentle, good and forgiving He is really! I was so moved with how Jesus showed humility in chapter 3 when He washed the feet of all His disciples.....i realized more now that I have nothing to and should never feel proud of myself but pray to God and seek to be humble just like my Savior.
Beth
Jul 27, 2008 Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am having trouble getting into this book. I'm shelving it for a while. I thought it would be more like a court case, with some good old fashioned apologetics, but it's just a little bit too lofty in the writing style and sounds more like a theology textbook than I can wrap my brain around at the present moment.
Jessica Shin
It was all fascinating, until the end when the author pissed me off and I had to throw the book against the wall. It follows the passion of Jesus til his death and translates some of the meaning of the scriptures to provide a fresh new insight. But then totally goes off on a tangent in the end.
Jen
I started this before Easter and just finished... excellent book. MacArthus explains a lot of the history surrounding the time of Jesus's death that was so helpful. highly recommend... in preparing your heart before Easter... or not!
Marguerite Harrell
I am currently reading The Murder of Jesus by John MacArthur as an Lent reading before the Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday. I had read this before and had to read it again. Great good book to understand the whole thing.
Charmaine Lloyd
Having grown up in the Christian faith I thought I knew this story. But this book provided context that opened my eyes and heart to new insights. I am moved in a new way and so grateful for that.
Craig
A world-class Bible teacher walks you through the arrest, trial and crucifixion of Jesus. Like everything MacArthur writes, it's thorough and biblical.
Stephen Delorme
One of the most powerful and convicting books you will ever read. If there was ever a man who did not deserve to die it was this man.
Jason
Helpful in putting the complete picture of what was actually happening from account of all 4 gospels.
Bill
A good treatment of the subject, although at times MacArthur's Calvinistic bias shows through.
Tina Fredricks
"This book is simply an excellent study of its' subject." -Floyd Bowen. I could not agree more.
Lynnie
I really liked this book. Read like a great story. Made Jesus' last days come to life
Adrienna
It was not what I expected to read. The title lured me in.
Floyd Bowen
Aug 03, 2008 Floyd Bowen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
This book is simply an excellent study of its' subject.
Tim Countryman
Tim Countryman marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Donna Wilson
Donna Wilson marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Joshua James
Joshua James marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness?
  • The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • New Testament History
  • The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Foundations of Grace, 1400 BC - AD 100 (A Long Line of Godly Men #1)
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • The Fruitful Life: The Overflow of God's Love Through You
  • From God To Us: How We Got Our Bible
  • The Goldsworthy Trilogy: Gospel & Kingdom, Wisdom & Revelation
  • No Place for Truth: Or, Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology
John F. MacArthur, Jr. is a United States Reformed evangelical writer and minister, noted for his radio program entitled Grace to You and as the editor of the Gold Medallion Book Award winning MacArthur Study Bible. MacArthur is a fifth-generation pastor, a popular author and conference speaker and has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969, and as ...more
More about John MacArthur...
Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You Twelve Ordinary Men Slave: The Hidden Truth about Your Identity in Christ The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception Found: God's Will