Start by marking “Ensemble, c'est tout” as Want to Read:
Ensemble, c'est tout

Ensemble, c'est tout

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  11,624 Ratings  ·  976 Reviews
« ...Non, ne pleure pas... Tiens, prends mon mouchoir, petite fille... Mais il y a une chose que je dois te dire : les gens qui s'arrêtent de parler deviennent fous. Chu Ta, par exemple, je ne te l'ai pas dit tout à l'heure, mais il est devenu fou et très malheureux aussi... Très, très malheureux et très, très fou. Il n'a retrouvé la paix que lorsqu'il était un vieillard. ...more
Published February 14th 2007 by Succès du livre éditions (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ensemble, c'est tout, please sign up.

Lisa This is well written and is related to France. The story is nothing like the Hedgehog but as others have said, a well written, engaging read.

Feb 06, 2013 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite 1) several years spent in Indiana, 2) an unstinted enjoyment of meat, and 3) the fact that I at one time had a mustache (it was the 80’s), I am not a Ron Swanson replica. To prove this point, I read a book set in Europe. . . France, no less. And it didn’t even have one of those page-turning plots to drive it.

What it did have was a plenitude of French themes. Food, especially the fine dining variety, was foremost among them. Art was another. Cultural divides of the type pitting aristocr
Oct 01, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leah by: Jamie
This book was recommended to me by Jamie, and it was a perfect rec, thank you so much, lady.

Translated from French to English, Hunting and Gathering is a character - rather than plot - driven, slice of life portrait. Somewhere within these pages, the main character finds herself at a bookstore, pouring over a collection of the French cartoonist Sempe's drawings (as I best know for his work in The New Yorker.) As I read further, I began to realize: There it is. This book is like a Sempe drawing.
Nov 08, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was worried that once I finished this book I would be filled with sadness over leaving these characters. I was sad to put it down, but the overall experience was so satisfying that I would highly recommend this book to others.

Hunting and Gathering made me miss having conversations with my old roommate from France. The characters' manner of speaking is so different from Americans and refreshing. I was surprised to see American references like Shrek and Angelina Jolie here and there, but they o
Nov 05, 2007 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will sound weird, but it's true: some books don't need plots.
Hunting and Gathering is a perfect example of a character-driven novel. Nothing really monumental or dramatic happens, and instead the story is supported entirely by the four main characters. They are: Camille, a cleaning lady (or "cleaning operative") who lives in a tiny apartment by herself and doesn't eat; Philibert, an aristocrat lacking social skills who lives in Camille's building; his roommate Franck, a temperamental but t
كاميل: رسامة لطيفة ذكية مثقفة نحيفة حد المرض منغلقة على نفسها غريبة الطباع تعمل في شركة تنظيف هربا من موهبتها و ذاتها.ه
فليبيير: طيب محتشم شهم مثقف خجول أخرق متلعثم يتعثر في خياله، ينحدر من أسرة نبيلة يعيش في ماضيها غير قادر على التكيف مع المجتمع، و بالتالي هو يعيش على بيع البطاقات البريدية، في شقة أرستقراطية عتيقة تعود لجدته مع كتبه الكثيرة. ه
فرانك: طباخ مجد في عمله مستهتر تافه سوقي انفعالي و لكنه يحب جدته.ه
بوليت: ثمانينية ظريفة عنيدة على أعتاب الإصابة بالخرف، و هي جدة فرانك.ه
جمعت الظروف هؤلاء ا
Jul 31, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leah McKenzie
Recommended to Jamie by: Molly
This book.

This book, this book, this book.

It is lyrical in that way that only books translated from French can be. I rarely underline or highlight while reading fiction, but this book gave my pen a work out. It was just lovely.

The characters were complex and well developed and sweet. They were just so sweet.

It wasn't perfect, but it was just the thing. It was flawed, but still one of the best I'll read this year.

The biggest flaw for me was probably Philou's character. I don't like that
Translated from the French -- I loved this novel about a group of isolated people who find in each other an odd kind of family. Highly recommended!
Feb 06, 2015 Delos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tenía este libro desde hace dos años y nunca me decidía a leerlo... ¡mal hecho!
Es muy bonito. Las dos primeras partes son magníficas, porque no entiendes la relación entre los cuatro protagonistas del libro y las páginas vuelan entre las dudas de ¿qué le ha pasado? ¿por qué está así? ¿que tienen que ver "las churras con merinas"?(esta última pregunta parafraseando a Franck...
Camille me ha encantado, una chica bohemia calcadita a cómo me imagino yo a una parisina. Me gusta mucho cómo escucha a
Jul 05, 2015 Nahed.E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فرنسي
انتهت رواية (معاً) وقد كنت حقا معهم علي مدار 670 صفحة تقريباً
وكأنني أشاهد فيلما أجنبياً طويلاً
واعترف كان من الممكن جدا اختصارها في كثير من الأحيان ،
ولكنك تنتظر وتصبر وتداوم علي القراءة لعلك تعرف إلي أين تتجه ،
وفجأة من منتصف الرواية تقريباً تبدأ الأحداث تأخذ مساراً واضحاً
فتعرف ما علاقة هؤلاء الأشخاص ببعضهم ، ولماذا هم معاً ، ولماذا أنت لاتزال معهم تصبر عليهم وتستمع إليهم بلا كلل أو ملل

هي قصة الجدة العجوز الطبية الموجودة في كل منزل ، الجدة التي تنام علي صدرها وتلهث إليها وأنت حزين ، تسمعك وأنت غ
Kathleen Dixon
Jun 11, 2008 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: Reading Seals
Shelves: reading-seals, novel
It's just possible that I couldn't put this book down because I'm into avoidance tactics at the moment (avoiding the study I need to do for my 4 exams coming up in 2 weeks time), but, nevertheless, I couldn't put it down. I just loved these poor, sad people and their wonderful specialities and their struggling to find some normal type of existence. The way Gavalda brings them together is very clever, and the way she takes the flaws in their characters and weaves in a realisation about friendship ...more
Ala Jadooa
Mar 09, 2013 Ala Jadooa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
هذا الكتاب وبالرغم من انه لا يعتبر كتاب رومانسي او قصة حب ، الا أنه يشدك للقراءة ويكون من الصعب ان تتركه ، فأنه يجمع بين اربع شخصيات تائهة محطمة النفس وشبه فاقدة الأمل بالحياة ، ولكن عند التقائهم ببعض يعالج كل منهم جروحات الآخر بدون أن يقصد لأن كلا منهم تصرف بانسانيه وتجرد عن الأنا التي في داخله .. أنه بمثابة السهل الممتنع … كلماته تدخل قلبك بسلاسة فائقة وتشدك أحداثه اليومية وتجعلك تعيش وتتواصل معهم ..
اسلوب وقدرة الكاتبة غافالدا بأعطاء وصف تام لكل شخصية من الشخصيات الاربعة بشكل دقيق ومحبب للقلب
Aug 07, 2012 El rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to El by: Jennifer D.
I'm not great at reading contemporary novels for some reason. I think in a lot of ways I expect too much out of them, especially when I compare them to so many of their predecessors (totally unfair of me, I know, but that's how I roll). I usually see so much room for improvement, or "had this been tweaked just a bit..."'s, that I wind up wondering what everyone makes such a fuss about.

I don't wonder as much with this book. It's charming. It's heartbreaking in parts. It actually punched me in the
Apr 18, 2011 Melee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't mind books that are essentially character studies. The things is, to enjoy them I have to like the characters.
Ok, I did like 3 out of 4 of the main characters... I loved, loved, loved Philibert. What can I say? I have a weakness for stuttering history buffs, apparently. I liked Paulette and Camille (most of the time) but I just couldn't care about Franck. He was really a jerk. His foul mouth got on my nerves too. The first word in every sentence doesn't have to be an expletive, Franck d
Not so good as expected. Or I am not in the right mood to enjoy it.

A movie was made based on this book: Ensemble chest tout (2007), with Audrey Tautou, Guillaume Canet, Laurent Stocker .
Jan 15, 2008 JoAnne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was translated from French, but was so beautifully written the translation was transparent to me. The characters were a motley assortment of wounded souls brought together to heal one another. A real gem. I was astounded by her descriptions of the world through Camille's artistic eyes and the ability to make you feel as though you were in the scene. She was able to make each character whole. You could picture the way they appeared to the world, but also the inner beauty and ...more
Oct 11, 2011 Stela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
J'essaie de trouver le mot juste mais je n'y arrive pas - le charme de ce livre est ineffable. Le retour à la simplicité narrative, peut-être? Les quatre personnages si vivantes bien que faits des croquis (c'est pas au hasard que Camille dessine)? Le je-ne-sais-quoi du tout? Elle parle de la vieillesse et de l'amour, de l'amitié et de la solitude et impressionne sans tomber en mélodrame, bien qu'elle ne se serve d'ironie non plus. La vie, c'est tout.
Oct 24, 2007 ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best fiction books I've read in a long time -- the emotions captured in this novel are superb. I got so caught up in this book that I felt a huge let down when it was over. The weaving of the characters lives together speaks to some of the universal struggles of human existence, family, history, loneliness, connection, love in a very real and effortless way. Simply beautiful.
Wafaa Golden
رواية ( معاً)
ما بين صدّ وردّ..
وملل واكتئاب..
ونيّة بالتّرك.. لتأتي مصداقيتي تحثّني على إتمامها رغم كل شيء
وها أنا ذااا وبعد ثلاثة أشهر وست عشرة يوماً أتيت عليها وأنهيتها..
ماذا يمكن أن أسمّي ذلك..
هل يصنّف فعلي ضمن الفعل الإيجابي أم السّلبي..
هو مبدأ مشيت عليه أن لا أدع إتمام كتاب مهما كان.. كي يكون حكمي عليه في النّهاية موضوعيّا..
وهذا ما حصل هنا..
بعد أن قرّرت أن لا داعي لأن أعذّب نفسي أكثر من ذلك..
ركنت الرّواية جانباً وعزمت على عدم اتمامها..
ولكنّ ضميري الحي هذه المرّة لم يسمح لي بذلك.. وأرا
This book will break your heart and then mend it and repeat the cycle. All I wanted to do was read it all day - I didn't want to put it down. This is the tale of four downtrodden individuals who are thrown together by fate or random chance, whatever you want to call it, and the unlikely friendships that develop (keeping the rags with the napkins, one might say).

This book makes me want to move to Paris and find three quirky roommates of my own.

There are many contenders, but my favorite quote from
Nov 03, 2012 Josefine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated
I started reading this with a certain amount of apprehension due to it's overwhelming popularity (anything widely and universally acclaimed usually makes me suspicious) and because of the obvious feel-good connotations. Despite this the first few chapters had me hooked, and I started to think that the book might actually be as wonderful as everyone claims. The characters are nuanced and flawed enough to feel believable (the language issues that inevitably mar all translated work are evident here ...more
Dec 31, 2015 Kirstine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend. She really loves it and spoke of it very warmly, so when she brought it back for me to borrow and read I couldn't say no.

It is a very sweet story of four very different, but equally lost lives intertwining and impacting each other. There's also a bit of romance, but it's the good kind. In fact, this book is a wonderful look into the kinds of relationships that exist in the world - friendship, family, romance, be it what it may.

It starts out really b
Arielle Walker
The only complaint I have about this book is that I can't speak (or read) fluent French yet, and so it'll be a while before I can read the original. A masterpiece.

(This happens to be approximately the 10th time I've read the point in the past year or so, and my opinion still hasn't changed)
Roxana Cora
Apr 26, 2016 Roxana Cora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gata și "Împreună"... din pacate... mi-a placut foarte mult, poate ca erau personaje asemeni mie, oameni care vor să traiască frumos, în felul în care înțeleg ei frumosul, oameni carora nu le pasă de "gura lumii", ci doar de cei dragi lor, pentru care prețuirea este reciprocă, nonconformiști, dar onești cu ei, și mai ales cu cei care fac parte din lumea lor.

Poate sunt eu mai romantică, mai siropoasă, dar mi-a placut și finalul, chiar dacă era previzibil. Cartea asta m-a facut să zâmbesc și cu cu
Jul 30, 2014 abcdefg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 400-500, spl, french
I really enjoyed this book until about two-thirds of the way into it when it started to get predictable and I could easily picture it being made into a romantic comedy film (which it was made into in France, unfortunately).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater of romance or comedy or even romantic comedies. I just don't like it when they're predictable because it's formulaic and not very challenging to me as a story.

It starts off with Camille, who I really did sympathize with as this waif genius
فكرة الرواية جميلة انه مجموعة من المحطمين اليائسين مختلفي الشخصيات يسندون بعضهم ويتعاونون لاصلاح حياتهم.. وكان ممكن أقيمها بثلاثة لو انها عبرت عن الفكرة بطريقة أفضل!!
الأحداث بعضها جيدة وملهمة وبعضها كثرة كلام على أشياء عادية ونمطية..
الترجمة شنيعة أسوأ ترجمة رأيتها.. وزادها سوءاً ان الكاتبة تنتقل بين المشاهد والأشخاص فجأة بشكل يتوه وأحياناً بسبب بخلها في ذكر الأسماء لا تعرف من المتحدث..
Oct 25, 2015 Dolors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-before-2011
Absolutely adorable book and a good film adaptation playing Audrey Tautou for those who enjoy cinema as well!
Apr 12, 2015 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: français
Anna Gavalda has a wonderfully infuriating way of writing like so...
Making your eyes flitter down the page.
Making your heart bat harder with each revelation.
Until she concludes a thought.
Like this.
With oh-so-much meaning.

Her writing is more alive than most, an especially impressive feat since I've read her work in French, not English, and I lose myself and die a thousand readerly deaths much more often when reading in French. But her words flow inevitably forward. If, as many authors have procla
Jan 05, 2016 annik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-russian
Гавальда в самом начале знакомства расстроила своими 35 кило надежды. У меня к тому времени рядом с этой брошюркой лежал кирпич «Просто вместе», и не дай я ей второго шанса, у нас с ней не было бы ни «Я ее любил. Я его любила», ни «Мне бы хотелось...»

Крайне нехотя я взялась за «Просто вместе», ожидая такого же провала, как с «35 кило надежды». Но я не рассчитала, что у Гавальды в этот раз было обширное страничное пространство, куда она влила своих героев, которым я сопереживала с самого начала,
Jan 24, 2009 Trena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Trena by: Karen
This book took me quite a while to get into, but eventually I got really hooked. The story is slow to start and it's hard to care about the characters at first, but they do grow on you and by the end you're really invested in them. The style was also something that took me a while to appreciate; perhaps it's a French way of storytelling. The style seems similar to the movie Amelie with an isolated yet charming misfit who manages to find other misfits and eventually opens up (and in fact a google ...more
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Apr 25, 2013 Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stuti by: the content sighs of discontent people across the world and in my house

When it was good, it was marvelous and when it was bad, it was supremely boring.

Here's how it went-

I think I should backtrack a bit. When it was bad, it was supremely boring and eye-roll-inducing and happy.

It's amazing how a book that starts off with such depressing characters in such deep shits can end so happily and hoppy-go-lucky-ily. With any other book, it would have been uncouth and it would not compute. But in Hunting and Gathering, it fits just perfectly.

No plot, no story, just plain
Goodreads Librari...: Same book and author 2 14 Dec 25, 2015 06:19AM
  • A Novel Bookstore
  • Delicacy
  • Broken Glass Park
  • The People of Paper
  • La valse lente des tortues
  • La fata carabina (Malaussène, #2)
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • No and Me
  • Der Geschmack von Apfelkernen
  • Memory
  • Oh, boy !
  • La Prochaine fois
  • Die hellen Tage
  • Gabrielle (Le goût du bonheur, #1)
  • La petite fille de Monsieur Linh
  • The House of Scorta
Anna Gavalda is a French teacher and award-winning novelist.

Referred to by Voici magazine as "a distant descendant of Dorothy Parker", Anna Gavalda was born in an upper-class suburb of Paris. While working as French teacher in high school, a collection of her short stories was first published in 1999 under the title "Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part" that met with both critical acc
More about Anna Gavalda...

“-Tu crois que c'est comme tes mines de crayon ? Tu crois que ça s'use quand on s'en sert ?
- De quoi ?
-Les sentiments.”
“She was sound asleep when he came to curl up next to her. She grunted.
"Don't worry. I'm too drunk, I won't do anything," he murmered.

As she had her back to him, he placed his nose on her neck and slid his arm underneath her to be as close to her as possible. Short strands of her hair tickled his nostrils.
Was she asleep? Was she pretending? No answer either way.
"I like being with you."
A little smile.
Was she dreaming? Was she asleep? Who knows...”