Start by marking “Don't Copy Me!” as Want to Read:
Don't Copy Me!

Don't Copy Me!

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  44 reviews
“Don't copy me!” It's a refrain that's well-known to children, parents, and caregivers. Now it's Little Puffin's turn to say the words as three cheeky gull chicks follow him around, imitating his every word and step. And the more the puffin protests, the more the gulls enjoy their silly game. Can Little Puffin find a way to turn his frustration into a clever plan? With his...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Boxer Books (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Copy Me!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Copy Me!

Heidi
I adore Allen's illustrations. And these were great. But I wasn't the biggest fan of the story for two reasons. 1) I hate copy games. HATE them! They really can be annoying and I was feeling that annoyance as I read. Of course, that may be just the thing that kids would love in a storytime or lap-read. 2) That was not a satisfying resolution for me! Puffin thought about how to solve his problam with wits and without losing his temper. And his reward? That his patience and wit and calm attitude w...more
Kendra
Ha ha ha! Every kid has experienced a copy cat at some time. I like that there's no moral here. The child can decide how they feel about the Puffin and his companions.
Jessica
Jonathan Allen's picture books are really popular, and if you like cute, fuzzy birds, you'll like his books. They also seem to be good for contrary young'uns who like saying, "I'm not ___" or in this case, "Don't ___!" Don't Copy Me! is about Little Puffin, who has three little gulls (Small Gull, Tiny Gull, and Baby Gull) constantly following him around and copying everything he does and says. The plot follows Little Puffin's attempts to get them to stop following him.

I remember being really ann...more
Kelli
Don't copy me was an excellent book, I must say the little gulls in the book made it funny and reading to the children in my class, I would ask them questions about what they thought if someone was copying them. So it was like a lesson in the book to see how it felt when the gulls copied the puffin.

I got the book from the Youngstown Public Library.
Leslie
We are going through the "copy" stage. This book helped my daughter to understand it's not so funny sometimes for others if they are not laughing with you. She also understood there are other ways to handle being "copied", i.e. sit quietly, don't yell out of anger. My daughter really enjoyed this book and recommends it to her friends.
Tasha
When Little Puffin heads off on a walk all by himself, he is followed by three little gulls who all copy him. How annoying! He tried to scare Small Gull, Tiny Gull and Baby Gull away, but they all just repeated what he said to one another. Little Puffin tried shouting at them and that didn’t work either. He sat down to think how he could end the game, and all three little gulls sat down too. Little Puffin tried running and that didn’t work. So he tried sitting very still so they would get bored....more
Ruth Ann
Did you ever copy someone? Or, did someone ever copy you? How annoying is that??

This is a story about Little Puffin, who wants to take a walk on a beautiful day, all by himself.
Sarah Stumphf
My three year old really liked this story after we started reading it. Now he keeps saying "Don't coopy me!' Out of the blue. Pretty silly!
Monica Williams
Those baby gulls sure are tricky. Cute, very cute.
Samantha
Think "This is the Song That Never Ends," but in book form. Little Puffin finds that he has a group of Gull chicks following him, mimicking his every move. He successfully outsmarts them only to find that the Gull chicks pick right up where they left off, ending the book where it began. Artwork plays with texture to create fuzzy creatures. The pictures use black outlines in some places and leave them off in other places to great effect. For me the artwork was more impressive than the story, but...more
Geannemarie
Adorable & Funny!!!
Bridget R. Wilson
Little Puffin just wants to go on a walk, but he has three shadows--the gull chicks who copy his every move. Will they ever listen when Little Puffin says, "Don't Copy Me!"?

What I thought: THis is the first book by Jonathan Allen I've read. I enjoyed it. It's just right for preschoolers. The illustrations are appealing with bold outlines, bright colors, and good use of white space.

Story Time Theme: Birds
Barbara
Who hasn't been annoyed to no end by other kids repeating everything they do and say? In this story Small, Tiny, and Baby Gull are taunting Little Puffin by copying his every movement and word. He thinks he's outsmarted them, but we all know it never works that way. It would be fun in toddler or preschool storytimes - you could have the audience participate for additional silliness.
Sara
Jul 11, 2013 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
My kids LOVE this book! My 5 yr old and 3 yr old cannot get enough of it! We checked it out from the library 2 weeks ago and I have read it probably more times than days we have had it. They love Baby Gull the most - especially when it has a cute high pitched voice from mom. :)
Jodie
I thought of my two girls as I read this story and how the little one loves to copy her big sister and how big sister gets so annoyed by it. Little Puffin is out for a walk the the three gulls follow him and copy everything he does. A fun story that readers will enjoy.
Kris
Little Puffin is annoyed when Small Gull, Tiny Gull, and Baby Gull copy everything he does. With its simple, repeated phrases, this picture book will work well for still-learning readers (Common Core State Standard: Fluency) and would be hysterical for Readers' Theater.
orangerful
Really cute illustrations and a simple story that I think every kid can relate too, especially if they have younger siblings or family members around to drive them crazy. Going to test this out next time I have a story time program to see if the kids enjoy it as much as I did.
Shelli
Another colorful fun read aloud from Jonathan Allen. Little Puffin is being followed and mimicked by three small gull babies. This could be a good discussion book for preschool and kindergarten teachers to share and talk about how "copycatting" makes someone feel.
Bethe
Not much of a story here, but young readers will identify with the game the little gulls are playing. The white body parts are not outlined, perhaps to enhance the birds' fuzziness, but I found the technique distracting. I love puffins but not this book.
Ingrid
I am a big fan of Jonathan Allen, but this one fell a little flat for me. I am still going to try it out on a Storytime audience, I think the kids will still like it. For me, it felt like I was involved in the birds' game and that game is annoying.
Diana (Bever) Barber
Typical childish behavior: copying someone else when he/she doesn't want to be copied. Of course, our hero (some sort of cross between a toucan and a penguin) comes up with the bright idea to sit very still and bore his followers away. Does it work?
Laura Z
I can just see every child who has this book read to them doing the "Copy Game" for the next week to everyone around them. How Annoying--Even if they aren't copying you! No thanks...I won't be teaching any children the "Copy Game" any time soon.
Angie
How he manages to make little birds look so fluffy and cute I'll never know. This one was pretty funny ... who hasn't been either the perpetrator or the victim in the "copying" game?

Only ... it would have been even better with a clever ending.
Tracie
Little Puffin wants to go for a nice walk by himself, but Small Gull, Tiny Gull, and Baby Gull are following him everywhere he goes--and doing everything that he does, which is very annoying! Can Little Puffin outsmart the three gull chicks?
carissa
Liffle Puffin wants to enjoy a walk in the nice fresh air. But Small Gull, Tiny Gull, and Baby Gull follow him everywhere and do everything Liffle Puffin does. How will Little Puffin stop them from playing this annoying game?
Beth Chandler
Cute, though not nearly as adorable as "I'm Not Cute!!" The writing is fine though it doesn't sparkle. The pictures are fun.

Possible preschool storytime book, to teach copying and get kids to imitate the characters.
Sondra Eklund
We used to call this kind of behavior "The Copy Game." I wish Puffin's strategy for ending it had worked! I wouldn't want to read this to kids and give them any ideas! The Copy Game is indeed annoying.
Amy
I was disappointed that this book didn't really address dealing with copying. I was expecting something that might be useful for older siblings dealing with being followed around and copied all the time.
Alice
This is a super fun book! It is also "SO ANNOYING" For those who have been victimized by someone copying you...."STOP COPYING ME" you will appreciate this book. POOR PUFFIN!
  • Hide and Seek
  • Gideon
  • Hippospotamus
  • Peck, Peck, Peck
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
I'm Not Cute! I'm Not Scared! The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo I'm Not Reading! I'm Not Santa!