I Dare You!

I Dare You!

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A classic in the field of self-improvement books!
Published June 1st 1976 by I Dare You Committee

Haydon
I dare you is pretty much a book that teaches you to do the right things like how to sit at a desk or not to bend over your paper work and sit tall. This book has taught me a lot of things about being mannerly and respectful. The thing about this book it is different from all the other books that I have read, the book dares you to do the things as it is teaching you just like the main cover I DARE YOU! Some parts of the book it dares you to sit up straight and not to slouch over your work. When...more
Dawn
I received the I Dare You! Award through 4-H, when I was 18. I wish I had taken the time to read the book then and apply its principles. It is a little dated but still inspiring. Mr Danforth has a wonderful way of expressing how we can make the best better!
Carol
Written in 1941 by William Danforth to inspire people to be better than even they thought possible. The advice is timeless and still as true today as when it was written. I like that he tells us that a well rounded life is the best and has four elements: physical, mental, social and religious. He dares you to be better tomorrow than you are today. And don't just read, think and talk about the advice in the book get out and DO IT!!! And helping others achieve is the best no matter what area it is...more
Michael
Truth is timeless.
Don Gubler
You can do it.
Robert
Apr 15, 2009 Robert marked it as to-read
Shelves: q42009
Have you ever wished that you could be more than you are now? I Dare You, by William H. Danforth tell you how to think tall, stand tall, smile tall, and live tall. This book was a very interesting think to come across unknowingly. I really liked how it immediately drew me in, by his cunning use of words and his striking philosophy. I really like the overall concept of his book. It not only tells, but shows how someone who has the drive to stand up and work can be an extraordinary person, and hel...more
Loren
I Dare You, by William H. Danforth, is a book that puts forth Mr. Danforth's idea that successful living is based on disciplining and developing in four areas: body, mind, heart, and soul. Danforth founded the Ralston Purina Company.

"Who wants to do unimportant and uninteresting things?" Danforth asks. He goes on to show how we owe it to ourselves to make sure we concentrate on all four areas of our lives, warning that "No man can allow part of himself to die without penalizing the parts of him...more
Gillian
This was a re-read for me. Written in the 30's, the language/layout out of the book is a little hokey in places. However, the message cannot be argued with. More people the sort of zest for life and faith that this book represents. Not to be sappy, but it really is inspiring!
Andd Becker
This timeless book is appropriate for middle school graduates and high school graduates.
Bill
Human life is four-dimensional, a concept with which decades later Stephen R. Covey agreed. A human being has four dimensions: physical mental, spiritual, and social-emotional. Or to put it in different terms: a body, a mind, a soul, and a heart, respectively. To neglect any of these four dimensions is like driving a car with a flat tire. And the proper way to exercise each of these dimensions is to give dares to yourself to do what you have never done before.
Craig
This is a book I inherited from my father. It was written in 1953 by William H. Danforth, one of the founders of the Ralston Purina Company. Its focus is to motivate people to believe in themselves and to take control of their lives through adopting a positive program of thinking, planning and acting. He emphasizes work on the four aspects of life: the physical, the mental, the social and the spiritual.
Nathan Kennedy
Dated is an understatement. This book achieves a whole new level of making me not want to read it. But, alas, I own it so I read it. The "I Dare You!" stories in the front almost took me back off of it. After I read it though, I fell in love with the stories and examples. Absolutely great. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is the initial response to the fact it felt so old.
Lawrence Stone
I dare you to read this book and not be inspired in some way or another. As I read through it I found myself sitting up strait in my chair and walking taller. I started identifying thing to do to improve. The style that this book is written in is inspiring. Its short and easy to read. Recommend it to anyone who considers themselves business minded.
Vickilynn
This is a book about living life to your fullest potential. It is about daring to do what you have thought about doing for years. We only get one life and this is the time to shine, strive and accomplish what you will leave behind in legacy. I will reread this book again when my 'Books to Build On' drive (#bookstobuildon)is successful. I dare, do you?
Gayla
“I Dare You” by William H Danforth
encourages teens to rebel against the comfort zone that conformity will inevitably suck you into. Very much the “Do Hard Things” book for the World War 2 generation. It's not about "success" or "money," it's about being your best and being the best FOR everyone around you. Required reading for my kids.
Amanda Tuttle
I was given this book back in 2004 upon my high school graduation by a friend from Church. I was the fifth person to receive the book, and I'm going to hand it down to my baby brother at his graduation party Saturday! It was a pretty good book, and I think he will enjoy it.
Sam
My grandma has been dropping this book into my bedroom for the past few months telling me that I have to read it before college because it changed her life, so to appease her, I'm giving the cheesy self help book a shot.
James Wirshing
What a challenge! At virtually every turn, Danforth challeges us to raise our personal standards as well as our performance and results. Not for the weak-willed. This book will convict you if you aren't performing!
Dale Brakhage
Life rewards excellence with excitement, friendship, peace of mind, and riches. Excellence is achieved through determination to act in ways that improve your performance in every aspect of life.
Wade
One of the great challenges in 'I Dare You' is to read a book a month! I took the challenge and with Good Reads.com it has become even more enjoyable!
Rick
A simple and inspirational book.. glad I read it. Much of what we can and cannot accomplish is strictly in our minds..
David Garza
This is a great inspirational classic. Danforth lays out some practical ways to be more confident, and to attack your dreams.
Claudia
very motivational - there's much I have to work on and this book helps give me the motivation and clarity to do just that.
Kiesha Garrison
My parents handed this book down to me. I have an edition printed in 1965 and I read it once per year.
Jake
I have the original old school hardback 1956(?) version. The 4 square life is a sound model.
Charles
Vigorous and interesting book. A good read!
Felicia Middleton
A book that challenges you to challenge yourself.
Brentley Campbell
Inspirational and brief. Great read.
Jeff
This book is full of pep and vigor.
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Top Performance: How to Develop Excellence in Yourself and Others
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • The Psychology of Winning
  • The Magic of Believing
  • How to Master the Art of Selling
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • Napoleon Hill's Golden Rules: The Lost Writings
I Dare You! The Wisdom of  William H. Danforth, James Allen  &  Arnold Bennett- Including: I Dare You! , As a Man Thinketh & How to Live on 24 Hours a Day Adventures in Achievement: President Danforth's Monday Morning Messages I Dare You I DARE YOU!

“You have a four-fold life to live: a body, a brain, a heart and a soul . . . these are your living tools. To use and develop them is not a task. . . . It is a golden opportunity.” 3 likes