Start by marking “I Dare You” as Want to Read:

hardcover inspirational book
Published June 1st 1976 by I Dare You Committee

Dawn
Oct 12, 2011 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I received the I Dare You! Award through 4-H, when I was 18. I wish I had taken the time to read the book then and apply its principles. It is a little dated but still inspiring. Mr Danforth has a wonderful way of expressing how we can make the best better!
Haydon
Jan 11, 2011 Haydon rated it really liked it
I dare you is pretty much a book that teaches you to do the right things like how to sit at a desk or not to bend over your paper work and sit tall. This book has taught me a lot of things about being mannerly and respectful. The thing about this book it is different from all the other books that I have read, the book dares you to do the things as it is teaching you just like the main cover I DARE YOU! Some parts of the book it dares you to sit up straight and not to slouch over your work. When ...more
Vivian
Aug 31, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Wow. This book crossed my path just as I was launching myself into a higher gear -- to successfully complete a 90-day-Isagenix-challenge. For me that means getting up 6ish, running (even if it's zero degrees), going to the gym to work out, stretching and sit-ups at home, eating more sensibly, and "cleansing" four days a month. On top of all that it's NaNoWriMo time -- so I tackle the keyboard for the third consecutive year pounding out childhood memories in narrative form. This on top of good ha ...more
A
May 25, 2016 A rated it really liked it
"I Dare You!" Is a book that can be read in one sitting. Feeling unmotivated, feeling lost, feeling like you've lost the "spark" you used to have? Instead of investing money in a life coach or motivator, read this book and become motivated again. Regain power and control over your life and your destination. Remember what you started. Finish it. Start something bigger. Envision and plan. Always adapt for tomorrow. Never stay stagnant like the people around you think is safest and best to do.
Tire
Matt Edwards
Jan 22, 2015 Matt Edwards rated it it was amazing
I happened across a dusty copy of this book years ago. I picked it up to see what it was about and read the whole thing that night. I read it again every couple of years. Mr. Danforth has a way of inviting you to make the most out of your life that is hard to resist. Want to borrow my copy? Just ask!
Gillian
Mar 04, 2015 Gillian rated it liked it
This was a re-read for me. Written in the 30's, the language/layout out of the book is a little hokey in places. However, the message cannot be argued with. More people the sort of zest for life and faith that this book represents. Not to be sappy, but it really is inspiring!
Kiesha Garrison
Apr 05, 2013 Kiesha Garrison rated it it was amazing
My parents handed this book down to me. I have an edition printed in 1965 and I read it once per year.
Carol
Feb 21, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
Written in 1941 by William Danforth to inspire people to be better than even they thought possible. The advice is timeless and still as true today as when it was written. I like that he tells us that a well rounded life is the best and has four elements: physical, mental, social and religious. He dares you to be better tomorrow than you are today. And don't just read, think and talk about the advice in the book get out and DO IT!!! And helping others achieve is the best no matter what area it is ...more
Michael
You can do it.
Robert
Apr 15, 2009 Robert marked it as to-read
Shelves: q42009
Have you ever wished that you could be more than you are now? I Dare You, by William H. Danforth tell you how to think tall, stand tall, smile tall, and live tall. This book was a very interesting think to come across unknowingly. I really liked how it immediately drew me in, by his cunning use of words and his striking philosophy. I really like the overall concept of his book. It not only tells, but shows how someone who has the drive to stand up and work can be an extraordinary person, and hel ...more
Loren
Jun 30, 2013 Loren rated it it was amazing
I Dare You, by William H. Danforth, is a book that puts forth Mr. Danforth's idea that successful living is based on disciplining and developing in four areas: body, mind, heart, and soul. Danforth founded the Ralston Purina Company.

"Who wants to do unimportant and uninteresting things?" Danforth asks. He goes on to show how we owe it to ourselves to make sure we concentrate on all four areas of our lives, warning that "No man can allow part of himself to die without penalizing the parts of him
Kenny Chaffin
May 31, 2016 Kenny Chaffin rated it it was amazing
Was given this book by my High School Math teacher as were the other four members of our advanced math class. Yes there were only five of us in 12th grade Math Analysis in the early 70's in my small town. I have kept it. I have re-read it occasionally. I am very thankful for wonderful teachers like her and inspirational teachers like the author of this book.
Courtney Anne
Jan 10, 2016 Courtney Anne rated it it was amazing
This book is the foundation of a youth organization I have volunteered with for almost ten years now and was a member of myself as a kid. Great information on how to live a balanced life and work to achieve satisfaction with you life as well as impact in the world. Easy read, short book, great content.
Henry Barry
Jan 09, 2015 Henry Barry added it
Shelves: self-help
Written by the grandfather of the currently living William H. Danforth, this is an inspirational guide to life. I can't describe it any other way. You can finish it in about 90 minutes; highly recommended.
Marie
Sep 28, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing
A great pick-me-up book to read with a timeless, inspiring message. Reading this book is like a good kick in the pants to get you moving towards your goals in ALL aspects of your life.
Andd Becker
May 13, 2014 Andd Becker rated it it was amazing
This timeless book is appropriate for middle school graduates and high school graduates.
Bill
Oct 26, 2012 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Human life is four-dimensional, a concept with which decades later Stephen R. Covey agreed. A human being has four dimensions: physical mental, spiritual, and social-emotional. Or to put it in different terms: a body, a mind, a soul, and a heart, respectively. To neglect any of these four dimensions is like driving a car with a flat tire. And the proper way to exercise each of these dimensions is to give dares to yourself to do what you have never done before.
Craig
Dec 31, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
This is a book I inherited from my father. It was written in 1953 by William H. Danforth, one of the founders of the Ralston Purina Company. Its focus is to motivate people to believe in themselves and to take control of their lives through adopting a positive program of thinking, planning and acting. He emphasizes work on the four aspects of life: the physical, the mental, the social and the spiritual.
Nathan Kennedy
Aug 03, 2012 Nathan Kennedy rated it liked it
Dated is an understatement. This book achieves a whole new level of making me not want to read it. But, alas, I own it so I read it. The "I Dare You!" stories in the front almost took me back off of it. After I read it though, I fell in love with the stories and examples. Absolutely great. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is the initial response to the fact it felt so old.
Lawrence Stone
Sep 13, 2012 Lawrence Stone rated it really liked it
I dare you to read this book and not be inspired in some way or another. As I read through it I found myself sitting up strait in my chair and walking taller. I started identifying thing to do to improve. The style that this book is written in is inspiring. Its short and easy to read. Recommend it to anyone who considers themselves business minded.
V.L. Brunskill
Jun 30, 2013 V.L. Brunskill rated it it was amazing
This is a book about living life to your fullest potential. It is about daring to do what you have thought about doing for years. We only get one life and this is the time to shine, strive and accomplish what you will leave behind in legacy. I will reread this book again when my 'Books to Build On' drive (#bookstobuildon)is successful. I dare, do you?
Gayla
Jul 22, 2012 Gayla rated it really liked it
“I Dare You” by William H Danforth
encourages teens to rebel against the comfort zone that conformity will inevitably suck you into. Very much the “Do Hard Things” book for the World War 2 generation. It's not about "success" or "money," it's about being your best and being the best FOR everyone around you. Required reading for my kids.
Amanda Tuttle
Jun 16, 2013 Amanda Tuttle rated it liked it
I was given this book back in 2004 upon my high school graduation by a friend from Church. I was the fifth person to receive the book, and I'm going to hand it down to my baby brother at his graduation party Saturday! It was a pretty good book, and I think he will enjoy it.
Sam
Jun 19, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
My grandma has been dropping this book into my bedroom for the past few months telling me that I have to read it before college because it changed her life, so to appease her, I'm giving the cheesy self help book a shot.
James Wirshing
Mar 14, 2011 James Wirshing rated it liked it
What a challenge! At virtually every turn, Danforth challeges us to raise our personal standards as well as our performance and results. Not for the weak-willed. This book will convict you if you aren't performing!
Dale Brakhage
Dec 04, 2008 Dale Brakhage rated it it was amazing
Life rewards excellence with excitement, friendship, peace of mind, and riches. Excellence is achieved through determination to act in ways that improve your performance in every aspect of life.
Wade
Apr 02, 2009 Wade rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
One of the great challenges in 'I Dare You' is to read a book a month! I took the challenge and with Good Reads.com it has become even more enjoyable!
Rick
Dec 31, 2009 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple and inspirational book.. glad I read it. Much of what we can and cannot accomplish is strictly in our minds..
David Garza
Jan 06, 2010 David Garza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great inspirational classic. Danforth lays out some practical ways to be more confident, and to attack your dreams.
  • Mission:Success
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Top Performance: How to Develop Excellence in Yourself and Others
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • The Science Of Personal Achievement
  • OPM: Other People's Money: How to Attract Other People's Money for Your Investments -- The Ultimate Leverage
  • Leadership: Tidbits and Treasures
  • Man of Steel and Velvet
  • On Speaking Well

“You have a four-fold life to live: a body, a brain, a heart and a soul . . . these are your living tools. To use and develop them is not a task. . . . It is a golden opportunity.” 3 likes
“The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men. Each fish that battles upstream is worth ten that loaf in lazy bays.” 0 likes