Uglies: Shay's Story (Uglies: Graphic Novel #1)

Uglies: Shay's Story (Uglies: Graphic Novel #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,785 ratings  ·  257 reviews
“This whole game is just designed to make us hate ourselves.”—Shay

Uglies told Tally Youngblood’s version of life in Uglyville and the budding rebellion against the Specials. Now comes an exciting graphic novel revealing new adventures in the Uglies world—as seen through the eyes of Shay, Tally’s rebellious best friend who’s not afraid to break the rules, no matter the co...more
Paperback, Graphic Novel, 208 pages
Published March 6th 2012 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about Uglies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uglies

Harry Potter by J.K. RowlingThe Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerAdrian's Lost Chapter by Richelle Mead
Extras
42nd out of 103 books — 86 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
442nd out of 1,693 books — 4,062 voters

More lists with this book...

Callie Rose Tyler
This pains me, it really does. I love the original series, I love the world Westerfeld created and I especially enjoyed the character of Shay who, sadly, was more complex and interesting from Tally's point of view.

SIDENOTE: I always pictured Shay black, don't know why but it threw me to see her depicted as white (in fact I picture everyone a lot more....diverse? everyone looked exactly the same I thought that was only supposed to happen AFTER you were made pretty)

BIGGEST issue is with the artwor...more
Misty
Is this necessary? Probably not.
Will I read it? Yes.
Michael (Tattoogirl Reads)
Well…I was pretty excited about this when I first heard about it at a talk held by Scott Westerfeld but it was fairly disappointing. Shay just isn’t the Shay I remember and Tally is barely in it.

The art was super cool but other than that I just didn’t like it.

Don’t read this if you haven’t read Uglies. You will not know what’s going on. I barely did because it’s been like 3 or 4 years since I read it.

I will most likely read the second installment just because I want to see Shay as a Special.
Michelle Madow
I don't typically read manga book (aka I've never read one in my life), but when I saw this was an addition to Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, I knew I had to give it a try! I love the Uglies books, so any new view I'm given into the awesome world Scott created is something I love to see.

When I first started reading it was tough to adjust to the change of medium (getting lots of the story through pictures instead of words). However, after a few chapters in I stopped thinking about how differen...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
This sounds cool. I kind of hated Shay, BUT I'll probably read it anyway. ;)
Katie
The Uglies series was one of the first YA series I read and I loved every bit of it. I don't normally read graphic novels but I made an exception for this one and I am so glad I did. Shay's Story is awesome! You don't want to miss out on Shay's backstory.

Shay is a very important character in Uglies but her story is never told. It's never made known why she went to the Smoke, what she was like as an ugly, or what guy she had a crush on. All those questions are answered in Shay's Story and boy are...more
Cassy
What can I say? It's Westerfeld, and we all know that I have a soft spot for him. However, I feel like this was kind of just a filler for him. Something to hold us fans over until he comes out with his next books, whatever they may be.

Now, don't get me wrong, there were parts I really enjoyed. I liked seeing how Shay met the Crims. I think it's interesting to know how she got into that group. And also how she met David and got along with him. I like that while she DID like David in the beginning...more
Kay
I read the Uglies series a few years ago and absolutely loved it. With the Hunger Games, it’s one of my favorite YA series and one against which I measure all the new dystopian YA series. So of course I wouldn’t pass on a illustrated version of the series, and when I saw it at the store last week, I immediately grabbed it. I am so glad that I can say that I really enjoyed it.

First, I really liked the illustrations. I don’t read that many mangas and graphic novels, but when I do I love the style...more
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)
This graphic novel follows Shay's story before she met Tally, after she met her, and to when Dr. Cable made her into a Special.

Shay's always been an interesting character to me. She was so much cooler than Tally, who I kind of despised in the last two books. I liked how it showed more of Shay's life, and even Zane's life before he became Pretty. I was upset at first that Zane had blond hair, but when he turned Pretty, it became black like it was described in the book.
I really hated David in th...more
Merary
I'm a really big fan of the Uglies series; probably because it was the first dystopian series I've ever read. I loved the world-building, the characters, the villain and the message that still holds really close to me.
Fast forward more than two years later, and I encounter this book at the library. "Hmm," I thought. "Shay's story?" And in case you're wondering, Shay was, and still is, one of my favorite character. Regardless of how many people hate her (With good reason; she does become kind of...more
Jon

Find this at Scott Reads It
Imagine a world where everyone is "ugly" until the day they turn 16 where people undergo an operation called the "Surge" that makes you "pretty". This is the world of the Uglies where beauty is everything. The Uglies is told from the point of view of Tally Youngblood. The Uglies: Shay's Story is a graphic novel spin off of the Uglies series and is told from the persepective of Tally's best friend Shay.

I enjoyed this graphic novel a lot more than Uglies because I find...more
Mandi
When I started reading it, I kept thinking 'why isn't the exactly like the book?' Then it finally hit me, this is Shay's point of view. I completely forget Shay wasn't the main character, Tally was. It's been a while since I've read 'Uglies'. But, for this to be a retelling of the story from Shay's view, it was really good. You actually get to see how she became a Crim, went to the Ruins and met David. You also see a little of the Smoke before Tally got there. Honestly though, I was looking forw...more
Margaret Clark
Even though I don't *love* graphic novels, I really love reading a book and then, if there is one, reading the graphic novel. I like seeing what other people thought the characters look like, though sometimes, because their version is so different from mine, I yell at the book... ;)
Kevin Fanning
Gave up after 6 chapters. On the very first page, I was like "I shouldn't read this." Because actually seeing the Uglies characters kind of sours the fun of imagining how "ugly" (read: normal-looking) the Uglies are. (God help me if they ever make a movie version.)

But, even worse, this book suffers from Graphic Novel Character Art Syndrome, where the characters all kind of look the same and it's hard to tell them apart. So the fact that the Pretties were pretty indistinguishable from the Uglies...more
Kimber
I was a big fan of the Uglies series, but this book really disappointed me. The story itself wasn't the problem, because it was great to see things from Shay's POV in the book. The art, characters, and dialogue were really lacking though.

The art itself was in a manga style, which wasn't a huge issue. What was an issue though was that everyone looked the same. The Specials are not striking or cold looking. The Pretties don't look any different from the Uglies. Even the Uglies stand-out traits, su...more
Raeleen Lemay
*3.5*
This was a nice refresher to the series since it's been a long time since read it, but something about it was just lacking.... And David looked really freaking weird.
Ella
At first, when I read this. I was like Shay doesn't look ugly to me, but from reading this. I was like oh that's what it meant. I didn't like the fact how Shay and the others have to go through some chemical change and recreate their bodies to look much more pretty to be a pretty. Isn't that too much? That's what I though. What stumps me more is that sometimes the people in Uglyville think they should be pretty, even though they're pretty already. I can't get used to the fact on how they want to...more
Paula  Phillips
As I am surrounded by Dystopian as it takes it's spot on the shelves as the New Vampires , it didn't surprise me to see a new copy of Uglies and in Graphic Novel but then when I looked at it closer , I discovered that it was told from Shay's POV. This made me more interested as I am not normally a fan of Graphic Novels/Manga but certain ones I have been found to enjoy.
Uglies Shay's story is basically a prequel I think to the novel "Uglies" which was told by Tally Youngblood's POV. In Uglies , w...more
Shanella
Uglies: Shay’s Story is just that – Shay’s point of view of the events that happened in Uglies. Because it’s a graphic novel and because Uglies is out there in the world, we don’t really see a retelling of what happened in Uglies as much as we see what’s happening to Shay when Tally isn’t with her.

For those unfamiliar with the Uglies series, Tally and Shay live in a society where all citizens undergo a surgery to turn pretty at the age of sixteen. When Tally and Shay first met, Tally was excite...more
Andrea
This review was originally posted on my book review blog, The Overstuffed Bookcase.

Highly Anticipated...

I absolutely LOVE the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, so when I heard that there was going to be a manga, I was really excited. I went out and bought the book on its release day, but I didn't end up reading it until Dewey's 24-hour Readathon. It ended up being a great book, and a perfect one for my first Readathon!

Superb Artwork...

I can't write a review for a manga/graphic novel without m...more
Michelle
If you've read Scott Westerfield's The Uglies, then you would know that this story is about Shay, the friend who led Tally to life beyond their structured compound. For those who didn't read, this is a sci-fi YA world wherein at 16 everyone get a syrgery to make the more attractive. The rest of their life is also vaguely regulated: you met another pretty, move out to the Burbs, have some Littles who go to dorms and then you have a normal-ish life.

With the focus on Shay, there's not much of the...more
Alan
I haven't read Westerfeld's Uglies set, but I had read his Risen Empire and the first two in his steampunk series. Recalling that my daughter said she was surprised by Uglies and that she rather liked it I picked this up for two reasons. The first to give her as part of an Easter present this weekend, and the other was to sample this sequence to determine if I would try it someday.

The answer is that I will probably try the novels. This manga inspired tale is told from Shay's viewpoint and not Ta...more
Deanna Brooks
This is a retelling of the first Uglies novel in a graphic novel format, and from the point of view of Tally's friend, Shay. A paraquel if you will. The story begins with Shay meeting her friends, Croy and Astrid for the first time. After many trips out to the Rusty Ruins with her friends, she encounters an unusual boy named David whom she is attracted to. He trains her and her friends in survival techniques for living in the wild. On the day they are all expected to leave for the Smoke with Dav...more
Bridget
An ARC was provided by Del Rey / Spectra Books after winning the Goodreads giveaway.

I must admit that it has been a while since I last read Uglies. So long that when I started reading, I had to try very hard to remember who everybody was. It was hard, but what I did remember was that, in the first book, I did not particularly like Shay.

So, this graphic novel is set from Shay's point of view which I think is amazing. You could easily just have made Uglies into a graphic novel but with it set from...more
Nella
Det är bara några månader kvar tills Shay fyller sexton, och hon vet vad det betyder: operation. Hon ska bli en pretty, vacker och underbar med ett bekymmerslöst och lyxigt liv i Prettytown. Men än så länge är hon bara femton, ful och fast i Uglyville.
Det är också där hon träffar Zane och de andra medlemmarna i Crim, ett gäng uglies som försöker ta vara på sin sista tid som barn genom att dra galna trick. Tillsammans med dem utforskar hon ruinerna utanför staden, och där träffar de någon de int...more
Elaina
I usually don't prefer graphic novels, but Shay's Story is truly special. I think the theme is betrayal. Shay's love life is a little complicated, but when Tally comes in, you can see why the bond between Tally and Shay is fragile. They both used to love David, who dumped Shay for Tally. Before they both become Special, Shay feels betrayed by both Tally and David. She becomes angry and revengeful towards Tally, and when Croy defends her, Shay thinks Tally has stolen the heart of Croy too. Betray...more
Lucia
As a fan of graphic novels, stories retold from another POV and the Uglies series, I was very excited about this book. I started reading it and realized I actually didn't remember enough about "Uglies" to appreciate it as much as I could, so I stopped reading the graphic to re-read an old favorite. Sadly, what I discovered was that what was a 5 star book for me 8 years ago is definitely not one today...

Anyway, on to the review of the graphic novel.: "Shay's story" really isn't all that differen...more
Mary-Megan
Uglies is a series written by Scott Westerfeld and has now been turned into a graphic novel. It is a great story and this new form will introduce different readers to series's improtant themes.

Shay (aka Skinny) is an Ugly. In her world, everyone is an Ugly until they turn 16 in which they undergo surgery (also called "the Surge") and become a Pretty. Shay's 16th birthday is coming up soon, but she meets up with a group of Crims and begins to question whether anyone is really ugly or needs surger...more
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
Uglies: Shay's Story is a graphic novel retelling of Uglies, from Shay's point of view. So, we get to see Shay befriending the Crims, meeting David, learning wilderness survival skills, etc.

I had big issues with this book. The writing was fine, and it was cool to see the other side of the events of Uglies, but I find it hard to believe that Scott Westerfeld actually signed off on this art.

First of all, everyone looks the same. I know, I know: I complain about that with all graphic novels. It's t...more
Olivia Ward
The Uglies, written by Scott Westerfeld, is an interesting book. It has many good and bad points about it. I find it very good for a graphic novel............

This book has a plot that is quite challenging to follow. I found it hard to know what was going on, mainly because it was a graphic novel and I found it hard to understand all the speech bubbles and all the different speech bubbles mean different things. So if she is talking to someone I would think she is talking in her head.

I liked the f...more
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Uglies: Shay's Story 1 4 May 21, 2014 09:37PM
  • ココにいるよ!(1) (Koko ni Iru Yo!, #1)
  • The Girl Who Owned a City
  • The Supernaturalist: The Graphic Novel
  • Defiance (Resistance, #2)
  • The Year of the Beasts
  • City of Bones: The Graphic Novel
  • Explorer: The Mystery Boxes
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • The City of Ember: The Graphic Novel
  • Laddertop, Volume 1
  • Made for Each Other (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #2)
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga)
  • Gandhi: A Manga Biography
  • Paradise City (The Big Empty, #2)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 5 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #5)
  • Kind (The Good Neighbors, #3)
  • House of Night #5 (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #5)
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush: The Graphic Novel, #1)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f...more
More about Scott Westerfeld...
Uglies (Uglies, #1) Pretties (Uglies, #2) Specials (Uglies, #3) Extras (Uglies, #4) Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)