Start by marking “Our Queen” as Want to Read:
Our Queen

Our Queen

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Throughout history, there has been no Monarch like her. She is not merely the oldest Sovereign this country has ever known. She is the most worldly. She has travelled further than all her predecessors put together. She has met more historic figures than anyone alive - from Churchill to Mandela, de Gaulle, Reagan and Obama. And today, Queen Elizabeth II is no more contempla...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 30th 2011 by Bolinda Publishing (first published October 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Our Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Queen

Susanne
Riley
I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though it was eerily similar to the author's previous work on the subject, "Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work". The reader is taken behind the scenes of some of the most testing times of the monarchy in the modern era and to the day to day management of the various offices which play an important role in bringing the monarchy and the people together. There was a lot of new anecdotes and insights into the Queen's personality and character and that of her husba...more
Joanne Nock
This is a wonderful biography of The Queen. Although unauthorised, Princes William and Andrew co-operated extensively, so it's certainly one that the palace are aware of. It covers her reign, her travels, her Prime Ministers, her marriage and her key staff. The book can also be used as a business text book. Whilst The Queen allegedly detests the mere mention of the word "corporate" in relation to her organisation, there are valuable lessons in effective leadership to be gleaned from this pages....more
Stephanie
A little fawning, but I like the Queen too, so it didn't bother me that much. Really interesting look at the monarchy and how it has changed (and not) in the 60 years of Elizabeth II's reign, and how it has transitioned to the 21st century. The author is a long-time Royal observer and writer, and clearly has a lot of 'ins' with the family and staff. The only place it lost me was the the discussion of the county lieutenants - boring!! The stuff about the Commonwealth was interesting - I'm a part...more
hpboy13
While Hardman has a tendency to get a bit too caught up in details (really, I don't need a recap of everyone who has ever worked for the Queen and what they did), this book is a great read and illustrates just what a remarkable monarch Elizabeth II has been. The perfect book to get oneself in the mood for the Diamond Jubilee! God save the Queen.
Merle Carr
Enjoyed reading this book. It provided some background on the many functions performed by the queen and the royal household. As each chapter seems to have been written as a stand alone narrative, there is repetition in describing the same event in two or three places in the book but in general, it was informative and easy to read.
Astrid
sehr interessant, ein Sachbuch. man erfaehrt wirklich sehr viel darueber wie der ganze apparat organisiert und strukturiert ist. ein paar anekdoten gibt r. hardman auch preis, aber insg. ist ein ein verehrer der queen und der monarchie. macht nichtts - es gibt viel daran zu diskutieren: die monarchie, die queen als person,...
Alex Leach
Occasionally flirting with being a hagiography, Hardman's account of the Queen's reign and character has many insights, gleaned from lengthy interviews with staff, politicians and relatives of HM. It is a very interesting and easy read, well-written with plenty of good anecdotes..
Mary
A brilliant book, lots of new information about the Queen, so easy to read. Should be read in conjunction with Andrew Marr's Diamond Queen. Very knowledgeable writers, who somehow write comprehensive books of the Queen without much overlap. Love them both.
Julie H. Ferguson
Really enjoyed this new book - it's smack up to date and partly a book about what the monarchy is and how it works in the 21st century and partly about the current royal family. I found it better than most.
Maura
Mar 01, 2012 Maura is currently reading it
This is the first book on the monarchy I've ever read and I'm really enjoying it.
Glennis
Dec 13, 2011 Glennis is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, but a bit on the heavy side
Pony Heath
a bit fluffy but still informative
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2014
Jesse
Jesse is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2014
Cris
Cris marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Sheelagh
Sheelagh is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2014
Cindy
Cindy is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II A Year with the Queen Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work 2B Not to Be Her Majesty