Start by marking “Our Queen” as Want to Read:
Our Queen

Our Queen

Throughout history, there has been no Monarch like her. She is not merely the oldest Sovereign this country has ever known. She is the most worldly. She has travelled further than all her predecessors put together. She has met more historic figures than anyone alive - from Churchill to Mandela, de Gaulle, Reagan and Obama. And today, Queen Elizabeth II is no more contempla ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 30th 2011 by Bolinda Publishing (first published October 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Our Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Queen

Susanne
Jan 21, 2014 Susanne rated it it was amazing
Riley
Aug 26, 2013 Riley rated it really liked it
Shelves: royalty, biography
I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though it was eerily similar to the author's previous work on the subject, "Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work". The reader is taken behind the scenes of some of the most testing times of the monarchy in the modern era and to the day to day management of the various offices which play an important role in bringing the monarchy and the people together. There was a lot of new anecdotes and insights into the Queen's personality and character and that of her husba ...more
Stephanie
A little fawning, but I like the Queen too, so it didn't bother me that much. Really interesting look at the monarchy and how it has changed (and not) in the 60 years of Elizabeth II's reign, and how it has transitioned to the 21st century. The author is a long-time Royal observer and writer, and clearly has a lot of 'ins' with the family and staff. The only place it lost me was the the discussion of the county lieutenants - boring!! The stuff about the Commonwealth was interesting - I'm a part ...more
Joanne Nock
Sep 28, 2013 Joanne Nock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful biography of The Queen. Although unauthorised, Princes William and Andrew co-operated extensively, so it's certainly one that the palace are aware of. It covers her reign, her travels, her Prime Ministers, her marriage and her key staff. The book can also be used as a business text book. Whilst The Queen allegedly detests the mere mention of the word "corporate" in relation to her organisation, there are valuable lessons in effective leadership to be gleaned from this pages. ...more
Mary
26th - 29th June 2015 - A fantastic read, so much detail and lots I'd forgotten. Unlike Andrew Marr's book not the story of her life rather an insight into monarchy and her reign. This is my favourite of the two books now.

March 2012 A brilliant book, lots of new information about the Queen, so easy to read. Should be read in conjunction with Andrew Marr's Diamond Queen. Very knowledgeable writers, who somehow write comprehensive books of the Queen without much overlap. Love them both.
Carolyn Harris
I recommend Our Queen to anyone interested in the Queen herself, the workings of the royal household, and the role of the monarchy in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth today. Hardman’s work is beautifully written, and filled with interesting material about Elizabeth II and the transformation of the monarchy during her reign.

Read full review at: http://www.royalhistorian.com/diamond...
Astrid
Feb 26, 2012 Astrid rated it liked it
sehr interessant, ein Sachbuch. man erfaehrt wirklich sehr viel darueber wie der ganze apparat organisiert und strukturiert ist. ein paar anekdoten gibt r. hardman auch preis, aber insg. ist ein ein verehrer der queen und der monarchie. macht nichtts - es gibt viel daran zu diskutieren: die monarchie, die queen als person,...
hpboy13
May 08, 2012 hpboy13 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Hardman has a tendency to get a bit too caught up in details (really, I don't need a recap of everyone who has ever worked for the Queen and what they did), this book is a great read and illustrates just what a remarkable monarch Elizabeth II has been. The perfect book to get oneself in the mood for the Diamond Jubilee! God save the Queen.
Merle Carr
Mar 15, 2013 Merle Carr rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading this book. It provided some background on the many functions performed by the queen and the royal household. As each chapter seems to have been written as a stand alone narrative, there is repetition in describing the same event in two or three places in the book but in general, it was informative and easy to read.
Alex Leach
Apr 13, 2013 Alex Leach rated it really liked it
Occasionally flirting with being a hagiography, Hardman's account of the Queen's reign and character has many insights, gleaned from lengthy interviews with staff, politicians and relatives of HM. It is a very interesting and easy read, well-written with plenty of good anecdotes..
Meg
Dec 30, 2016 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This was way too similar to another Hardman book I read, but I didn't realize it at the time. Still in search of the post-The Crown, why haven't I ever read a proper QE2 bio biography to read, although like Harman's other work, this was enjoyably wonky about the workings of the royal household.
Julie Ferguson
Nov 30, 2011 Julie Ferguson rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this new book - it's smack up to date and partly a book about what the monarchy is and how it works in the 21st century and partly about the current royal family. I found it better than most.
Glennis
Dec 13, 2011 Glennis is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, but a bit on the heavy side
Maura
Mar 01, 2012 Maura rated it liked it
This is the first book on the monarchy I've ever read and I'm really enjoying it.
Ron Staines
Ron Staines rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Darlene Lane
Darlene Lane rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Ken Scott
Ken Scott rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
TD WK
TD WK rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2013
William
William rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Emily Lea
Emily Lea rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Jemma Arbin
Jemma Arbin rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
John Todd
John Todd rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Ben Blain
Ben Blain rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2017
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Danushka Senarath
Danushka Senarath rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Colin Stephens
Colin Stephens rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2015