Start by marking “A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2)” as Want to Read:
A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2)

A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  12,111 Ratings  ·  1,015 Reviews
Anne Wynter’s job as governess to three highborn young ladies can be a challenge – in a single week she finds herself hiding in a closet full of tubas, playing an evil queen in a play and tending to the wounds of the oh-so-dashing Earl of Winstead. After years of dodging unwanted advances, he's the first man who has truly tempted her, and it's getting harder and harder to ...more
Published June 7th 2012 by Piatkus Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Night Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Night Like This

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
2nd out of 264 books — 673 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
115th out of 2,453 books — 15,858 voters

More lists with this book...

Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Love love love the cover art. Bright blue dress and sweet pink heels. ohhh it's cute!!! I love the way Julia Quinn makes me laugh, cry and sigh with satisfaction.

It was so good to finally wrapped with a good romance. The epilogue make me continue my reading till evening. I was glued and I can't take my eyes of this wonderful story.
Oops. I wasn't supposed to finish it today, but I guess it was inevitable. There was no way I was going to be able to read it in small chunks over a period of a week, especially when I wasn't planning to anything especially exciting today.

We already sorta met Daniel and Anne in book 1. Daniel had just returned from his exile while the beautiful Anne seems to be serving her own exile as the governess for 3 of the Symthe-Smith girls. This book starts with some details about how Daniel got kicked o
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I have always been a Julia Quinn fan and with this book, I am reminded of why I loved her work. A NIGHT LIKE THIS goes back to what Quinn is known for. It opens with a fun scene with Daniel Smythe-Smith, Earl of Winstead and sets up the reason why Daniel left for so many years.
When he returns, Daniel is a changed man. After all, having your life threatened can do that to you. Time has done him good because he has matured. No longer the impulsive and brazen youth, Daniel shows a great amount of g
Daniel Smythe-Smith, Earl of Winstead, has been in a self imposed exile for three years after a drunken card game got out of control and he ends up shooting his good friend, Hugh. He has been constantly looking over his shoulder, guarding his life against Hugh's father who vowed to kill him for damaging his son. When Hugh tracks him down one day to say it is safe to return home finally, Daniel does and arrives just in time for the annual Smythe-Smith quartet musicale. He is intrigued by the love ...more
5.00 Stars - Regency/Historical Romance

Thoughts before reading:

I wish I at least knew who our hero/heroine will be in this one, at this instant...June 2012 will just take forever to come around :(

Thoughts after reading:

Daniel Smythe-Smith returns home to England after a 3 year exile at the continent on the night of a Smythe-Smith musicale. Soon enough he takes notice of the beautiful stranger amidst his sisters and cousins and suffers an instant pang of attraction which may only lead to
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Jun 24, 2012 Shawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JQ & historical romance fans
Shelves: favorites, historical-romance, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-beta, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, favorite-romance-series, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, historical-romance-regency, author-julia-quinn, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, i-read-library, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, heroine-companion, hh-servant-serving-working-class, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, hero-gentleman, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, star-crossed-lovers, hh-musician-rocker-singer-popstar, 4-to-5-stars, steam-2-warm, hh-across-the-tracks, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, heroine-commoner-lower-class, heroine-destitute-poor, rt-book-reviews-4-stars, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, series-smythe-smith-quartet, hero-black-sheep, heroine-bad-reputation-fallen, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, best-snarkasm-humor, heartwarming, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, stalker-alert, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, 2012-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, heroine-country-lass, humor-fall-off-the-couch-funny-lol, villain-uber-bad-nasty, syrupy-sweet-sentimental-schmaltz
4 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Oh, how I love Julia Quinn’s witty, winsome writing! She’s one of my absolute favorite authors for feel-good, sweet romances that put a huge smile on my face and lift my spirits. The musicale scene in the first chapter had me laughing so hard that I had tears streaming down my face and that part alone was worth 5 stars. This actually has a bit of angst as well, but it’s tempered with Julia’s engaging, heartwarming style.

Another enchanting, romantic winner fr
The second book in Julia Quinn's Smythe-Smith Quartet series. Julia Quinn has always been a sort of comfort read for me. I love the light, witty, entertainment she provides. I always know I'll have a smile on my face when I'm through. I won't be able to claim this as a favorite but it still had all the ingredients I normally love to find in her books.
Sep 29, 2012 Lelyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Daniel Smythe-Smith, lelaki terkeren keluarga Smythe -Smith nih... *mendesah mendamba*

Anna Wynter , governess keluarga bibi Daniel, sudah 8 tahun di asingkan keluarga nya karena kebodohannya di usia 16 tahun...16 tahun? Hmmm..keluarga seperti apa yg mengusir dan mengasingkan anak gadis yg diperalat laki2 sialan yg cuma menginginkan her virtue tanpa menikahinya, malah menghina, karena Anne bukan dari keluarga ningrat.
Anne yang patah hati diasingkan entah kemana, setelah sempat menggores wajah ta

JQ has the gift of being a great pick me up storyteller, her stories are always smart and alot of fun. The focus on the Smythe-Smith and their crazy family and well known ear bleeding musicals bring a smile to anyone's face if they'll read JQ's books.
A Night Like This follows in the same vein as the book before it Just Like Heaven with it's at times very simple plot. At the sane time reminded me of an older novel On the Way to the Wedding, but lacked the spark I found in On the Way to the We

I'd been wondering how old Daniel is. Which was why I skimmed through the pages of Just Like Heaven to find some clues. Turned out Honoria is twenty one years old, five years younger than Marcus. Marcus and Daniel are at the same age, and that would be twenty six. Since the first and the second book of Smythe-Smith quartet series are set in the same year, Daniel is still twenty six when he came home to England. Why am I babbling about his age? I had hoped he's much younger. Because that
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: May 29, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: Avon
Author’s Website:
My Source for This Book: Edelweiss
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, Smythe-Smith Quartet (spinoff series of Bridgerton Series)
Series Best Read In Order: Worked well as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy

This book reminded my why I fell in love with Julia Quinn’s books so many years ago. It was lighthearted without
May 11, 2012 Dianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-arcs
A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

Anne is a governess and Daniel is a recently returned from exile, Earl. When they meet at a Smythe-Smith musicale, some small sparks start flying. We know as well as they that nothing can be done about these sparks; after all think of the class system in England - an Earl and a Governess? Well stranger things have happened and so the story begins!

We learn a lot about Daniels’ exile and return very early in this book, but we don’t learn anything about Anne until
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
A NIGHT LIKE THIS is the second book in the Smythe-Smith Quartet series and, although I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as the first book JUST LIKE HEAVEN, it still combines all the elements that make Julia Quinn an absolute favourite of mine. I always know that I’m going to be drawn into her captivating world full of wonderful, loveable, quirky characters.

I completely fell for Daniel's charm and wicked sense of humour. He’s someone who has learned from his past mistakes and takes his responsibili
Blacky *Romance Addict*
If you're looking for a sweet historical romance, this is the book for you Photobucket

It's entertaining, funny and witty, it has a great romance with characters you'll love and who love each other like crazy Photobucket

I just have one problem with this, it somehow gets too sweet for me in the second half of the book Photobucket I know, I know, what's wrong with sweet? Nothing, but I personally don't like those sugary endings. Maybe sometimes I love them, but most of the times not. This was in the most of the times category Photobucket

Lisa Kay
Anne dares to go out with only her cloak on over her nightgown.
[image error]

(This is a review of the audiobook.) Excellent narration by the always versatile and elegant Rosalyn Landor , who certainly kicked this up a notch. I will admit that I had to increase the speed from 1X to 1.25X, as it was just a tad slow. Though secondary characters, I loved the banter between all the Smythe-Smith cousins, Elizabeth, Harriet, Frances, and Daisy; Ms. Landor manages to keep them all sounding different.

May 07, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it

Daniel Smythe-Smith, Earl of Winstead and his friend Hugh Prentice, get drunk and foolishly end up in a duel. Honour dictates that they face each other, but having sobered up and wised up, both realise they need to aim wide. Though Hugh's shot hits Daniel accidentally, it is superficial. But Daniel slips and his shot sees Hugh badly injured, nearly crippled. Threatened with death by Hugh's father, the Marquess of Ramsgate, Daniel escapes to the Continent, in fear of his life for the nex
Sophie Barnes
Jun 09, 2012 Sophie Barnes rated it really liked it
Shelves: julia-quinn
Daniel Smythe-Smith, the Earl of Winstead, returns from his three year absence from England, arriving home on the evening of the yearly Smythe-Smith musicale. Before he even manages to make his presence known to his family, he stumbles upon a mysterious woman - a lady more lovely thank any other he's ever seen before (sigh =) ) - and, forgetting himself completely, he unexpectedly kisses her.
Their little encounter is brought to an abrupt end by the incident that many of you may remember from 'J
Jun 05, 2012 Naganika rated it it was ok

Is this really the same author I enjoyed reading all of her 28 books in a month after her Bridgerton series? She introduced me to the world of Historical romance and I didn't find a more witty author till date. But what went wrong with this one? Well...EVERYTHING!!

So, was the book funny?

Were the characters endearing?
No (with the exception of Frances and Harriet)

Were there solid supporting characters?
No!! (both the mothers portrayed in the boo
May 08, 2015 Meagan rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
One thing I enjoyed about Quinn's previous books are that they are highly character-driven; there is often little plot, and little world-building (these being wallpaper historicals), but the books are still engaging purely because of the character development, and the development of the relationship between hero and heroine. My reading preferences are such that I take this development of the characters and their relationship to be THE key element in a romance.

The reason why I think Quinn's newer
Lynsey A
After a slow start I really got into this book. It was a sweet love story and I do like how Daniel loved Anne from the beginning although he didn't realize it. It was something new for him and came on gradually and was then just there. I liked it.

There was a little bit of ping-pong conversations but not enough to annoy me.

It is definitely a fast read and a nice way to spend an afternoon. It isn't one of my favorite Julia Quinn reads, that is When He Was Wicked, but was still an enjoyable read.
Nov 13, 2012 Anachronist rated it did not like it

Once upon a time an English aristocrat called Daniel returned home from three years of wandering abroad. You see, he was hiding from another aristocrat who wanted to kill him. Ok, never mind. As soon as he returned he saw a beautiful girl. "She was petite, small in that way that made a man want to slay dragons".I don't doubt she looked like this:

Oh no, sorry, wrong picture. She was of course looking like this:

Nononono, wrong picture again. Ok, I am pretty sure she loo
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
adorable read ! i loved the chemistry between or two leads,DANIEL AND ANNE....

its been a pretty long time since ive picked julia quinn recently but for some reason this,book..its characters and its plot well i kinna felt like it was a mix of the bridgerton series...especially..# 3

so if u loved Benedict and Sophia ? u'll love this !

its a one-time read..but a definite fun one.
Rachel (BAVR)
Back when BAVR still had her baby talons, we read a ton of Julia Quinn books. Almost all of them, really. And despite those years of frivolous happiness, I swore off Quinn books after the first in the Smythe-Smith series, Just Like Heaven, was pointlessly dumb enough to make me rethink what I was doing with my life. Did I really want to read the same banter and self-gratifying me so clever "comedy" for the rest of my life? No, I said. No, I do not want to read this funny stuff that isn't funny f ...more

DNF at 23 %

The characters are _I am afraid _ boring and clichéd.
And right at the beginning we get presented to a case of "insta love/lust".

She looked up.
Time stopped. It simply stopped. It was the most maudlin and clichéd way of describing it, but those few seconds when her face was lifted toward his . . . they stretched and pulled, melting into eternity.
She was beautiful. But that didn’t explain it. He’d seen beautiful women before. He’d slept with plenty of them, even. But this . . .
I'm just a tiny bit dissapointed. Not because this is a bad book, because it's not. It's really good and worthy of my 4 stars. But I liked the previous book so much I can't help feeling this one pales in comparison.
Feb 28, 2015 [Aengell] rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel, I love you! I also love Hugh and Marcus, but I love you, too, my cute little (okay, not so little) earl.

Loved this one in the series, although I like book #1 and #3 better, the story flowed like it always does with JQ and the characters were simply adorable.

Daniel and Anne as the main characters were very sweet together, and also I agree with most of my GR friends that I don't necessarily like the love-at-first-sight-theme, it was well done in this case because it made everything magica
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; A-

Continuing on where book 1 left off, the author smoothly transitions to telling Daniel and Anne's story. There were many funny scenes with the family as well as a sweet love story. Enjoyed it.
Dec 26, 2015 Alexa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, meh
DNF @40%.

Dear Julia Quinn,

I know you're considered a VIP in the historical romance genre, and as such, I'm supposed to like your books...

I don't.

Let's just chalk it up to the old "it's not you, it's me" I just can't seem to stay interested and life's too short to read a full book knowing at best I'll give it 2 "I didn't really like it but I guess it was okay" stars.

Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 04, 2015 01:34PM
  • A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales, #2.5)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
  • The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae (Cynster, #18; The Cynster Sisters Trilogy, #3)
  • Seducing Mr. Knightly (The Writing Girls, #4)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2)
  • How to Ravish a Rake (How To #3)
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
  • A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more
More about Julia Quinn...

Smythe-Smith Quartet (4 books)
  • Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1)
  • The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3)
  • The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4)

“Love is blind,” Harriet quipped.

“But not illiterate,” Elizabeth retorted.”
“He said he loved me,” she whispered.

Daniel swallowed, and he had the strangest sensation, almost a premonition of what it must like to be a parent.

Someday, God willing, he’d have a daughter, and that daughter would look like the woman standing in front of him, and if ever she looked at him with that bewildered expression, whispering, “He said he loved me . . .”

Nothing short of murder would be an acceptable response.”