Start by marking “Eland Dances” as Want to Read:
Eland Dances

Eland Dances

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  4 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Peter Fitt instinctively dislikes the power-hungry men who see others as ego-food or enemies. In San beliefs, passed down in his family, the eland opposes the selfish and destructive carnivores, the men with 'lion spirits.'
Healing power is found in dance, in trance, and the strong should defend others, not prey on them.
When he uses a Soviet airplane in a development proje
Published September 25th 2011 by Philip van Wulven

To ask other readers questions about Eland Dances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eland Dances

Barbara
May 27, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Come along with Peter Fitt on his fanciful return to Zambia from boarding school in England. Peter identifies with the peaceful elands and doesn’t let his youth stand in the way of intervening in the Rhodesian civil war to promote an end to violence. Along the way you’ll learn something about San beliefs and the politics of this region in the 1960s, with a little love interest added to the pot. This entertaining story with a happy ending and a deeper underlying theme could have benefited from th ...more
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Jan 07, 2012 Alejandro Canton-Dutari rated it it was amazing
The development of countries in Africa has always been an interesting topic, especially when I felt that South Africa’s apartheid had captured most of the world’s attention.
Van Wulven’s story about the Rhodesian/Zimbabwean conflict was well narrated through the eyes of an intrepid teenager.
“My sphincters must have let go when my body went into emergency overdrive.” This direct and easy use of language was the best asset of this book, in addition to being exposed to a bit of paranormal and local
Debra
Oct 12, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
I liked it. It's an interesting story for someone who might be interested in Southern Africa.
Jay Fromkin
May 23, 2012 Jay Fromkin rated it it was ok
When Philip Van Wulven asked me to read his “thriller/adventure, set in South-central Africa during the Sixties,” I told him I would, since Robert Ruark’s Something of Value and Uhuru were two of my favorite novels, taking place just a few years before Van Wulven’s Eland Dances. Van Wulven replied, “I hope you enjoy my effort, though I do not place it in the same arena with Ruark, my skills and style are not closely comparable.” I admire Van Wulven’s honesty.

Quite frankly, this book is neither w
Philip Wulven
Sep 26, 2011 Philip Wulven added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote
I think because I wrote this, I am disqualified to review or rate it.
Hoss
Hoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Twilightwatchers
Twilightwatchers marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jan
Jan added it
Jul 03, 2012
Greta Burroughs
Greta Burroughs marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2011
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2011