Start by marking “Duty to Protect” as Want to Read:
Duty to Protect

Duty to Protect (Big Sky Secrets #5)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  23 reviews

After nearly a lifetime in witness protection, Emma Graves depends on the anonymity of her false identity. But when her parents die under suspicious circumstances, and Emma is framed for murder, all security is gone. There's nothing to do but run.
Cop-turned-rancher Jake Kincaid is an unlikely defender. Why would an ex-cop believe an accused killer? Still, Jake makes Emma
Published December 1st 2011 by Love Inspired Suspense (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Duty to Protect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duty to Protect

Roxanne is a dear friend but even if I didn't know her, I would have given this book 5 stars. Duty to Protect in her "Big Sky Secrets" series hits every note right on key. A lovely and endangered heroine, a handsome cowboy/former cop hero, a cross country chase--and every plot twist heightens the tension between the hero (Jake) and heroine (Emma) and the very real danger Emma faces. Roxanne knows the horse world and the Big Sky country from personal experience and it shows. She even manages to t ...more
Big Sky Secrets
Book 5

When I started reading this book, I did not want to stop! Though some of the books in this series were rather dull in the suspense department, this one was exciting. A woman in the witness protection program is running for her life and hops a ride (without his knowing) in the back of a cowboy's trailer. The relationship between these two left me laughing several times, and other times it made me cry for them. I thought Jake was a sweetheart (and I believe we met him in the o
Natasha  Briggs
Every now and then a good light hearted love story just does the trick on a lazy rainy day. Things happen in everybody's life's that seem awful and hard to deal with. This book tells a heartwarming story of Emma trying to survive and living in the WITSEC programs. Life becomes a daily struggle for Emma where she has to look over her shoulder with every step that she takes

Then something great happens and she meets Jake in her travels trying to survive. When he promises to help her to fight off al
Jill Twigg
Enjoyed the suspense and loved that Jake took it upon himself to protect Emma from an unknown assailant. I liked that there was another story of "who done it" regarding the rustled cattle. Looking forward to more by this author.
Emma is orphaned at a young age then put in witness protection along with her adoptive family. A contract has been put out on them, killing them one by one until Emma is left. Even the cops are dirty as she flees for her life, creatively twisting her circumstances, but Jake, a heroic cowboy and former law enforcement sees through her charade. At first, he thinks her to be a fugitive, but after listening to her true accounts, vows to protect her with his life. I really liked this suspenseful book ...more
May 23, 2012 Marianne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
i enjoyed this quick glimpse into the world of WITSEC, and the intrigue it offers in a short form. As in all Love Inspired novels, each word needs to count as they are pared down to the bare bones, without losing the essence of the novel. Emma as the main character grows in her trust and faith through the story, as does Jake, the cop-turned rancher. The enjoyment of the novel is increased for me when a loving dog is included. Thanks Roxanne for the copy of the novel in exchange for my honest rev ...more
A story full of suspense, faith and protection. God protects both Emma and Jake many times. Emma is led by God when she choses to hide in Jake's truck.

Witness Protection does not protect Emma. She ends up on the run feeling she'll run the rest of her life. She runs into the life of an ex-cop who has a hard time getting her trust. This is a divine intervention.

The book grabs your interest from start to finish. I read it in two days. Highly recommend.
Katelyn Shear
I saved this book to read last of the Love-Inspired Suspense books that I had stacked on my couch. I figured from the cover it would be duller than the rest. But it was VERY exciting. I enjoyed it more than the others. Very exciting and the romance was sweet. Lovely read!
John Hanscom
I wish Goodreads would allow us 1/2 or 3/4 stars, as this book was better than a average for its genre. The only thing keeping it under four stars is there were two mysteries, one involving the male and one the female, and the one involving the male ended awfully abruptly.
Aug 24, 2014 Ruth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Read "DUTY TO PROTECT by Roxanne Rustand for the second time and it was just as exciting and interesting as the first time!! Loved it and highly recommend all of Roxanne's books, as she is a great writer. You will not be disappointed.
I am not usually into romance novels but the story in this novel wasn't sappy. It focused on keeping the reader interested in the suspense of Emma running from something and someone. It waited to the very end to have a romantic moment.
Kitty Fearing
It was a nice short read an enjoyed the bulk of tue story but there were two competing crimes. The cattle rustling ended fairly abruptly and the development of a relationship between Emma and Jake was fairly abrupt as well.
3.5 stars. Emma who has been in the WPP for 14 years runs away after her dad is killed. She hides in jakes horse trailer. Nice romantic story with a little mystery.
Quick, easy read, but lacked some of the truism of crime victims story line. Liked the Christian 'coping' of the characters.
I enjoyed this book. Good story and characters that were easy to like.

I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
really enjoyed.. love the whole suspense /love story was really fun to read and couldnt put it down
this is a great book, read it last night, couldn't put it down, lots of action. loved it,
I enjoyed reading this book and it kept my interest throughout the entire book.
Easy read! Every girl wishes a sexy cowboy would save her.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Big Sky Secrets
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Big Sky Secrets
great book with much suspense
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
namericanwordcat marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Rachel Neuenschwander
Rachel Neuenschwander marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Marie added it
Aug 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Private Eye Protector (Heroes for Hire, #5)
  • Threat of Darkness
  • Montana Homecoming
  • Lost Legacy (Treasure Seekers #1)
  • Lilac Wedding in Dry Creek
  • Shades of Truth
  • Falling for the Fireman (Gordon Falls, #1)
  • The Promise of Home (Mirror Lake, #5)
  • Dead Wrong
  • A Love Rekindled
  • Lancaster County Target
  • Her Surprise Sister (Texas Twins, #1)
  • Collateral Damage
  • Leah's Choice (Hannah's Daughters, #4)
  • Holiday Hideout
  • The Widow's Protector (Fitzgerald Bay, #4)
  • Christmas Gifts: Small Town Christmas\Her Christmas Cowboy (The Cowboy Series, #9)

Big Sky Secrets (5 books)
  • Final Exposure (Big Sky Secrets, #1)
  • Fatal Burn (Big Sky Secrets, #2)
  • End Game (Big Sky Secrets, #3)
  • Murder at Granite Falls (Big Sky Series, #4)
Murder at Granite Falls (Big Sky Series, #4) The Loner's Thanksgiving Wish (Rocky Mountain Heirs #5) Deadly Competition (Without A Trace #5) End Game (Big Sky Secrets, #3) Second Chance Dad