Start by marking “Teaching Students to Read Like Detectives: Comprehending, Analyzing, and Discussing Text” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A central assumption of text-based discussions is that comprehension and learning can occur through dialogue with others. The text-based discussion approach challenges students to extract information from text, consider background knowledge, and engage in academic discourse about ideas and concepts, and it demands that students read, write, and think rhetorically in order ...more
Published October 21st 2011 by Solution Tree (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Students to Read Like Detectives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Students to Read Like Detectives

Lauren
I read this book for a course on Close Reading. I did not see the connection between the chapters and close reading. The book dealt with an overview of what each genre is but there was no overt connection to how to apply this knowledge (which most teachers already know) to close reading. I did not read the final chapter for class as that would have overwhelmed by technologically-illiterate teachers.
John
This book was boring and full of information without methods of teaching. It was dreadful. The only reason that I finished it was because it was required reading. Otherwise, I would have abandoned it fast.
Kim
Interesting read. Many updated ideas for comprehension instruction. Particularly helpful was the model lesson using hyperlinked text and various other technology skills.
Matt
This resource would make for a good book study at the upper elementary to secondary level. The authors make the practice of close reading more concrete and reasonable.
Melissa
Great resource explaining why we need to teach students to dig deeper into the text. Fisher and Frey also included some simple activities to use in class!
William
Solid back-to-school reminder of why and how we want our students to read. Good connections to the Common Core.
Rob Baker
Rob Baker marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
David Yeary
David Yeary marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Brad
Brad added it
Nov 17, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Dora
Dora marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Florence Chia
Florence Chia marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Reading Instruction 1 2 Jul 10, 2013 05:28PM
Text Complexity: Raising Rigor in Reading Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom Improving Adolescent Literacy: Content Area Strategies at Work 50 Instructional Routines to Develop Content Literacy