Start by marking “Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
Selected Writings

Selected Writings

Composed during a critical time in the evolution of European intellectual life, the works of Meister Eckhart (c. 1260-1327) are some of the most powerful medieval attempts to achieve a synthesis between ancient Greek thought and the Christian faith. Writing with great rhetorical brilliance, Eckhart combines the neoplatonic concept of oneness - the idea that the ultimate pr ...more
Published August 25th 1994 by Penguin Classics (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Writings

Glen Grunau
Oct 06, 2012 Glen Grunau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ultimate truth is and should always be elusive, not easily grasped by the finite and limited human intellect. Perhaps the mystical writers help us to grasp this best of all spiritual teachers. They know the dangers of trying to contain the vast expanse of eternal truth within a minute and limited human intellect. They know the treachery of the ego that will try to contain God with human knowledge and understanding.

Meister Eckhart perhaps captures this best in his infamous quote from his 22nd ser
Sunny
Meister Eckhart was born around 1260 but some of the insights he writes about are pertinent today almost 800 years later. The book is a selection of his writings, often philosophical and mostly theological, concerning God and the soul. The key message of the book is that when there is nothing between you and God (not even images which our mind inadvertently creates when we “think”) then that is when we are closest to him. He believed that one’s intellect is not something that is passive but only ...more
Daniel Prasetyo
May 07, 2012 Daniel Prasetyo rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Meister Eckhart teachings, but I more recommended The Complete Mystical Works of Meister Eckhart..
Andrew
Jul 14, 2007 Andrew rated it liked it
Meister Johannas Eckhart has a marvelous way of explaining Christian theological concepts in pure and simple language and metaphor. Eckhart also tackles one of the difficult questions facing Christian practice (incidentally also a major stumbling block in Buddhism in a way) of how one can both desire the fruits of grace AND maintain a selfless love of God. For Eckhart even the splendors of faith have to be negated in order to remove obstacles between the soul and God.

I will never quite be Eckhar
Genevieve
Apr 25, 2007 Genevieve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: theology buffs, Dominican lovers
Crazy old Dominican who's writings were declared heretical. Sounds interesting, right? Wrong. It's totally metaphysical, speculation about the body, soul, God, the oneness of all matter . . . Eckhart was a big neo-Platonist, and many of his followers eventually became members of the Free Spirit heresy. But unless you really like theology, it is very dull.
Karl Schissel
Dec 27, 2007 Karl Schissel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone suffering loss.
Change perception, change experience.
Nranger7
Feb 27, 2013 Nranger7 rated it liked it
Too religious for my tastes.
David
Jan 22, 2017 David rated it it was amazing
Each time I read Eckhart, I get something new out of it. Though sometimes he skates a little close to the edge of orthodoxy, he never crosses. Solid, dependable teaching.
Lewis Shaw
May 12, 2012 Lewis Shaw rated it really liked it
A wonderful (in its truest sense) collection of writings with a conversational intimacy. There is a great amount here to inspire and think upon, even for a psychologised, William Jamesian conception of God, akin to the great mystics of other traditions such as Ibn Arabi. Much here is concerned with the individual and living, rather than grand metaphysical system building, and so remains largely immediate and not maddeningly esoteric.
Richard
Nov 13, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing
Sincerely surprised about how much I liked this book! I thought it'd be trolling through dry medieval theology to find some gems (the stuff usually quoted in other books) but, literally with the exception of a few of the "sermons" in the second half, the book was beautiful. It is inspirational, moving and life-changing. This is one of the enlightened ones who truely got it - one who sets a high bar for others to reach.
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2011
Avéry Hayes
Avéry Hayes rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2014
Marko
Marko rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Firstname
Firstname rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2008
JAMES L HALL
JAMES L HALL rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
May 03, 2007
Faiq Gilmour
Faiq Gilmour rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Eve
Eve rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Dirk
Dirk rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Kirk
Kirk rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2016
Madelin Smith
Madelin Smith rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2012
Brad Henderson
Brad Henderson rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Julie Clark
Julie Clark rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Berk
Berk rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Choi Wah
Choi Wah rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Kym
Jul 07, 2014 Kym rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always love Meister Eckhart.
Christopher Patton
Christopher Patton rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2009
M.C. Humphreys
M.C. Humphreys rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2011
Tyler Newton
Tyler Newton rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Cloud of Unknowing
  • Women and Gender in Early Modern Europe
  • The Collected Works of St. John of the Cross
  • Soul of the Samurai: Modern Translations of Three Classic Works of Zen & Bushido
  • The Norton Anthology of Modern & Contemporary Poetry, Vol 1: Modern Poetry
  • Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Zohar: Pritzker Edition, Volume One
  • Inner Christianity: A Guide to the Esoteric Tradition
  • Selected Writings
  • Mystics and Zen Masters
  • Lieh-tzu: A Taoist Guide to Practical Living
  • Practical Mysticism; and, Abba: Meditations on the Lord's Prayer
  • The Desert Fathers
  • Scivias (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Plotinus or the Simplicity of Vision
  • Searching for Memory: The Brain, the Mind, and the Past
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • Religion and Nothingness
Eckhart von Hochheim, commonly known as Meister Eckhart, was a German theologian, philosopher and mystic, born near Gotha, in Thuringia.

Meister is German for "Master", referring to the academic title Magister in theologia he obtained in Paris. Coming into prominence during the decadent Avignon Papacy and a time of increased tensions between the Franciscans and Eckhart's Dominican Order of Preache
More about Meister Eckhart...

“My Lord told me a joke. And seeing Him laugh has done more for me than any scripture I will ever read.” 43 likes
“If I had a friend and loved him because of the benefits which this brought me and because of getting my own way, then it would not be my friend that I loved but myself. I should love my friend on account of his own goodness and virtues and account of all that he is in himself. Only if I love my friend in this way do I love him properly.” 39 likes