Start by marking “Non Sei Tu” as Want to Read:
Non Sei Tu

Non Sei Tu

In this debut collection of eight compulsively readable stories, Vestal McIntyre combines honesty and compassion with hilarious dialogue—bringing together the comic milieu of David Sedaris with the spot-on perceptions of Adam Haslett’s You Are Not a Stranger Here. With “ONJ.com,” a young woman in advertising decides she wants a gay man in her life, almost as if she were sh
Published June 1st 2008 by Fandango Libri (first published January 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Non Sei Tu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Non Sei Tu

Tal Goretsky
Sep 07, 2007 Tal Goretsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks with quirky sensibilities
A great collection of short stories convincingly told from widely differing viewpoints and steeped in wholly original and hilarious scenarios. My favorites include "Binge", about a middle-aged wife who attends a very hip party where she abandons herself to cocaine and drink to frolic with the young bohemians. "Octo" is an incredibly sensitive story told from the point of view of a little boy who's parents are dead-set on eliminating his most beloved posssession - a giant pet octopus.
And "ONJ.co
Christopher
Mar 22, 2007 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short stories were very amusing, I loved them! I hope this guy comes out with more eventually because I'd love to read whatever he puts out. He captures moments in time in his character's lives, amusing things that happen in their day and etc. Some of the stories in this book didn't have a clearly defined resolution, but then again, when funny things happen to us in real life, do they always have a concrete "ending?" I don't think they always do, but in reading, we're trained to look for a ...more
Jerry Delaney
Nov 02, 2010 Jerry Delaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you are traveling from Chicago to Turkey you want to make sure that your book will keep you company. It needs to be smart, maybe funny, with believable, honest characters who do surprising things. You can't take a chance on getting bored with 10 hours of the flight left so I spent time with my book choice and it was time well spent.

McIntyre's short stories are full of people you want to listen to and get to know. The stories don't always go where you think they are headed - they are too ori
Liz
Feb 10, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
I struggle with short stories – they need to be exceptional for me to really feel engaged. There have been some fantastic short story authors around in recent times and while I would rate highly several of the stories within this book, there were also several that were a lot weaker in nature and less palatable. The more enjoyable stories are quirky, sensitive and humorous, the less interesting were dull with no strong characters or plot. If you like short stories or are interested in a book that ...more
Lauren
Sep 27, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a new writer who is going to become something big, look no further. Vestal writes so movingly about children and loss and disability; but is also a witty, bawdy writer in equal parts when it comes to gay men and life in the city. He is all heart without saccharine. Truly, he is the best kind of observer: involved and passionate, but also patient and thoughtful. I strongly recommend you find this book and try not to cry on the subway.
Javier Martinez
Jan 28, 2010 Javier Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was captivated from the very first story and then they just get better and better. These stories are like you are thrown in the middle of a movie and you are like what is going on. Some are funny and some are sad but if you do pick up this book I recommend the one about the Octopus or Octo. Attention to detail is simply wonderful and the little boy trying to protect his octopus is just hilarious. What an amazing storyteller.
Gary Cheetham
Some of these short stories really connect and impress and leave you wanting more, but others were just a bit too flat for me.

The authors prose is fantastic though and I will definitely be reading his full length novel 'Lake Overturn' in the future.
Djrmel
these are some of the best contemporary short stories I've read in a long time. All are linked by the theme of people looking to fill a hole in their lives, and each story is told in a very different voice. I can't wait to see what else Mr. McIntyre writes.
Lucinda Mcintyre
A wonderful and eclectic sampling of my talented bother's writings.
Michelle King
Jan 08, 2012 Michelle King rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat lackluster short story collection.
Lyman
Sep 09, 2007 Lyman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to "Time Out New York" for this recommendation! If you love great short stories, you'll love this collection.
Wendy
Oct 12, 2007 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vestal's stories are delightful - as is the person! -- but some of the endings are just ever so slightly unsatisfying....
Jazzy D
Oct 28, 2011 Jazzy D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I loved it! The stories were quirky and hilarious! And so raw. Good writing!
Patrick Ryan
Sep 23, 2014 Patrick Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these sometimes edgy, always moving, and beautifully written stories.
Jennie May
A collection of short stories written by a wonderful storyteller. They're smart, funny, and follow a collection of beautifully flawed and relatable characters. Loved it.
Anne Frisbie
Jan 06, 2013 Anne Frisbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Really entertaining short stories where you get something out of the insanity and reflect on life.
David Driver
Jul 14, 2010 David Driver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vestal is my friend but even if he weren't I would love this book. And I don't generally read or enjoy short stories! So smart and engaging and unexpected. I absolutely recommend it.
Alexes
Alexes rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Rebecca Yocum
Rebecca Yocum rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2007
Beth Bernier Pratt
Beth Bernier Pratt rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Hendecam
Hendecam rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Rand
Rand rated it really liked it
May 25, 2009
Red
Red rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2011
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2009
Mandy Nadyne
Mandy Nadyne rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2009
Jeffery Berg
Jeffery Berg rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2010
Joshua Eli
Joshua Eli rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Vestal McIntyre was born and raised the youngest of seven children outside Nampa, Idaho. He attended Tufts University, and has lived in Boston and New York City.

Lake Overturn: A Novel was published by HarperCollins in April, 2009. The Washington Post said, "In Lake Overturn, McIntyre has created a vast, intricate lattice of relationships, reminiscent of the novels of Richard Russo....Here is an au
More about Vestal McIntyre...