Start by marking “Non Sei Tu” as Want to Read:
Non Sei Tu

Non Sei Tu

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In this debut collection of eight compulsively readable stories, Vestal McIntyre combines honesty and compassion with hilarious dialogue—bringing together the comic milieu of David Sedaris with the spot-on perceptions of Adam Haslett’s You Are Not a Stranger Here. With “ONJ.com,” a young woman in advertising decides she wants a gay man in her life, almost as if she were sh
Published June 1st 2008 by Fandango Libri (first published January 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Non Sei Tu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Non Sei Tu

Liz
I struggle with short stories – they need to be exceptional for me to really feel engaged. There have been some fantastic short story authors around in recent times and while I would rate highly several of the stories within this book, there were also several that were a lot weaker in nature and less palatable. The more enjoyable stories are quirky, sensitive and humorous, the less interesting were dull with no strong characters or plot. If you like short stories or are interested in a book that ...more
Tal Goretsky
Sep 07, 2007 Tal Goretsky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks with quirky sensibilities
A great collection of short stories convincingly told from widely differing viewpoints and steeped in wholly original and hilarious scenarios. My favorites include "Binge", about a middle-aged wife who attends a very hip party where she abandons herself to cocaine and drink to frolic with the young bohemians. "Octo" is an incredibly sensitive story told from the point of view of a little boy who's parents are dead-set on eliminating his most beloved posssession - a giant pet octopus.
And "ONJ.co
Jennie May
A collection of short stories written by a wonderful storyteller. They're smart, funny, and follow a collection of beautifully flawed and relatable characters. Loved it.
Christopher
These short stories were very amusing, I loved them! I hope this guy comes out with more eventually because I'd love to read whatever he puts out. He captures moments in time in his character's lives, amusing things that happen in their day and etc. Some of the stories in this book didn't have a clearly defined resolution, but then again, when funny things happen to us in real life, do they always have a concrete "ending?" I don't think they always do, but in reading, we're trained to look for a ...more
Jerry Delaney
When you are traveling from Chicago to Turkey you want to make sure that your book will keep you company. It needs to be smart, maybe funny, with believable, honest characters who do surprising things. You can't take a chance on getting bored with 10 hours of the flight left so I spent time with my book choice and it was time well spent.

McIntyre's short stories are full of people you want to listen to and get to know. The stories don't always go where you think they are headed - they are too ori
Patrick Ryan
I love these sometimes edgy, always moving, and beautifully written stories.
Lauren
If you are looking for a new writer who is going to become something big, look no further. Vestal writes so movingly about children and loss and disability; but is also a witty, bawdy writer in equal parts when it comes to gay men and life in the city. He is all heart without saccharine. Truly, he is the best kind of observer: involved and passionate, but also patient and thoughtful. I strongly recommend you find this book and try not to cry on the subway.
Javier Martinez
I was captivated from the very first story and then they just get better and better. These stories are like you are thrown in the middle of a movie and you are like what is going on. Some are funny and some are sad but if you do pick up this book I recommend the one about the Octopus or Octo. Attention to detail is simply wonderful and the little boy trying to protect his octopus is just hilarious. What an amazing storyteller.
Djrmel
these are some of the best contemporary short stories I've read in a long time. All are linked by the theme of people looking to fill a hole in their lives, and each story is told in a very different voice. I can't wait to see what else Mr. McIntyre writes.
David Driver
Vestal is my friend but even if he weren't I would love this book. And I don't generally read or enjoy short stories! So smart and engaging and unexpected. I absolutely recommend it.
Wendy
Vestal's stories are delightful - as is the person! -- but some of the endings are just ever so slightly unsatisfying....
Lyman
Thanks to "Time Out New York" for this recommendation! If you love great short stories, you'll love this collection.
Anne Frisbie
Really entertaining short stories where you get something out of the insanity and reflect on life.
Lucinda Mcintyre
A wonderful and eclectic sampling of my talented bother's writings.
Emily
One of my favorite short story collections from recent years.
Ellen
Short stories, some stronger than others.
Michelle King
Somewhat lackluster short story collection.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Carly Watts
Carly Watts marked it as to-read
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Lena♥Ribka
Lena♥Ribka marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Vestal McIntyre was born and raised the youngest of seven children outside Nampa, Idaho. He attended Tufts University, and has lived in Boston and New York City.

Lake Overturn: A Novel was published by HarperCollins in April, 2009. The Washington Post said, "In Lake Overturn, McIntyre has created a vast, intricate lattice of relationships, reminiscent of the novels of Richard Russo....Here is an au
More about Vestal McIntyre...
Lake Overturn Almost Tall Strangers to Youth: Two Novellas Open City #11: Octo Ate Them All