Start by marking “Braided World” as Want to Read:
Braided World

Braided World

“Come find what you have lost...”

Heeding this cryptic message from deep space, the crew of the starship Restoration journeys from Earth to a distant planet, hoping to find humanity’s lost genetic diversity. But with the human race on the verge of extinction from the twin horrors of plague and a mysterious scourge of dark matter, how can an alien world harbor any remedies f
Published February 4th 2003 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Braided World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Braided World

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Jul 01, 2009 Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2009 Sandi rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2009
This three stars is really 3-1/2. "The Braided World" is a good piece of genre literature. It has plenty of action and human/alien drama. It kept my attention and kept me reading. Kenyon created a very interesting world. But, it was very predictable and the story was populated by stock characters the seemed pretty unrealistic. I did like the fact that the action stayed with the central characters and didn't jump around from location to location. "The Braided World" is terrific if you want some s ...more
Nov 26, 2007 Andy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: sci-fi
Love, Life, Betrayal, This book was packed full of exciting adventure. A good book, nothing more to say. The universe is great and well thought out. The characters are amazing.

When you think its over, it turns around and smacks you in the face.
A few random things found in this book:

* Italian opera
* killer plague
* shaved heads
* death by dihydrogen monoxide
* "I see dead people"
* stuff to offend the prudish
* lots of tongue-wagging

Imagine a future where humans, in order to survive, are forced to do the opposite of Star Trek's "Prime Directive." Non-interference is simply not an option here. This is a "backwards" invasion book, where a handful of Earthlings visit another world -- uninvited by the current natives -- and stir things up a bit
Jun 20, 2010 Dogg rated it liked it
Typically, I read during my lunch period. As a result I like books that have shorter chapters or frequent breaks or transitions within a chapter, so that I have convenient stopping points. The Braided World satisfied this requirement. The text also flowed well.

The premise of the book is that Earth has been ravaged by an little known force that left higher organisms vulnerable to bacterial and viral infections. It was devastating the human population. As a result, a small expedition sets out to a
Nov 30, 2009 Tripp rated it really liked it
Seems like forever since I have picked up a good mass market paperback scifi novel. I had been looking at Kay Kenyon's The Braided World for years and have owned for nearly that long. It was a great read and a nice return to science fiction. It is an anthropological/first contact scifi novel in the vein of Mary Doria Russell or Orson Scott Card in which a mission sent from a dying Earth hopes to find a means to restart the human race on a distant planet.

A rich former opera singer funds a mission
Dec 28, 2013 Kelli rated it liked it
An enjoyable enough read, with some interesting worldbuilding and a nice fast pace.

Kind of shallow, though. The only character developed enough for me to care about was Bailey Shaw. Everyone else was flat and I just didn't care what happened to them, if they succeeded or failed in their goals, etc.

My biggest problem is the time frame. The book takes place roughly 10,000 years in the future, yet the humans are completely indistinguishable from modern-day Western humans in their behavior, thought
May 01, 2016 Dee rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was in the usual Kay Kenyon style, though her The Entire and the Rose series will always remain my favorite of her books. The Braided World has a fascinating plot, some memorable characters and room for dreaming at the end.
Sep 23, 2016 Kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Although exciting in the latter part of the book, the premise was slightly revolting (and surprisingly unexamined with regards to the gender issues,) and most of the characters were unappealing. The beginning was a bit of an infodump and while the rest of the book did improve with interesting themes and good pacing it just wasn't enough to make it genuinely good overall.
Feb 16, 2010 Erika rated it it was ok
Although I like science fiction, this book didn't seem to well researched. What it lacked in substance, it tried to make up for in shock-value scenes. The characters were 2-dimensional, and the plot just dragged. I actually put the book down with only 50 pages to go and read a different book. Not a great one.
Jun 10, 2011 Scythan rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The cover says something like "the most terrifying aliens are in humanity's image" so I thought it would be something more interesting than just a different culture on another world with a couple hidden differences.
Jun 17, 2009 Staci marked it as didnotfinish
Shelves: sci-fi
I was not able to finish this book, had to get it back to the library before I moved. I'm not really inclined to finish it. It was not really grabbing my attention.
Joey Sigmon
Aug 16, 2015 Joey Sigmon rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Sere marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Doug marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Koral Mele
Koral Mele marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Kat marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Whitney marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Aislinn Probst
Aislinn Probst marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Julia marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Shaun Kittle
Shaun Kittle marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
RF rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Robin marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Marcia rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Doug White
Doug White rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Wendiana marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • The Well of Stars (Marrow, #2)
  • Farewell Horizontal
  • Fifth Planet
  • Banner of Souls
  • Fugue For A Darkening Island
  • The Years Of The City
  • White Devils
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Beyond Apollo
  • Mars Crossing
  • Terraforming Earth
  • Memory
  • The Silent Strength of Stones (Chapel Hollow #2)
  • The Child Goddess
  • The Meq
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
Kay Kenyon is a fantasy and science fiction author living in Eastern Washington. Watch for her new series from Saga Press in winter 2016! A dangerous game of spycraft set in 1936 England, amid the bloom of psychic abilities.

Her latest novel is Queen of the Deep, a fantasy about a young actress who opens the door to a Renaissance kingdom which is also an enchanted ocean liner. She is also the auth
More about Kay Kenyon...