Start by marking “Broderies” as Want to Read:
Broderies

Broderies

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  12,783 Ratings  ·  1,146 Reviews
From the best–selling author of Persepolis comes this gloriously entertaining and enlightening look into the sex lives of Iranian women. Embroideries gathers together Marjane’s tough–talking grandmother, stoic mother, glamorous and eccentric aunt and their friends and neighbors for an afternoon of tea drinking and talking. Naturally, the subject turns to love, sex and the ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by L'Association

Pramod Nair
"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul." – a dictum from Marjane Satrapi’s grandmother.

Reading ‘Embroideries’ from Marjane Satrapi was like reading some missing pages from ‘Persepolis’, her renowned autobiographical series. In ‘Persepolis’ she gave much insights to the reader about the social and political life of Iran during her childhood, but through ‘Embroideries‘ Satrapi manages to illustrate the closed personal world of Iranian women in an amusing manner.

In this slice of an
Valerie
Jan 21, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Reading this graphic novel was like being invited to tea with a group of Iranian women, except that the talk turned (interestingly enough) to arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. The images strengthened the words in such a way that when I was done reading it I actually felt like I knew and had spent a little time with these women.

It's interesting, because their conversation makes it seem like they have some power (while living under harsh social restrictions) but as
☆☽Erica☾☆
This author is great. Her graphic novel Persepolis is remarkable and hilarious, and her notable humor is present here as well. :) I enjoyed it.
Hippo dari Hongkong
Story about various Iranian women. They're sit back and relax in the afternoon while sipping a hot cup of tea. But not just that, they all have a tale to tell.
And the story begin...

"To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart."
Huwahahaha...

Pertama-tama ketika nge-mark as to read gw pernah komen "Mari ngebordir" , yang dikasi komen sama Lita di message #1 dan saya ngasi komen "wah, rok mini mah cepet keknya ngebordirnya, siap lah" di message #2. Nah, setelah beres membaca b
Hilda
Mar 23, 2008 Hilda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Satrapi fans
I was disappointed by Marjane Satrapi's follow up to the fantastic two volume "Persepolis".

In "Embroideries", the setting is an after-dinner tea party between several women of different ages telling their stories abut love and sex. The potential is fantastic to really delve into the beliefs and traditions surrounding these topics. But rather than tell the complete stories with depth, she merely flits over them, so that you get a taste but little substance. She tells the stories of about 7 women
Anya
Dec 21, 2015 Anya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anya by: Fatty Bolger
Fatty made me read it by dangling the "it's totally your kind of graphic novel" line. Thank you, Fatty! ^_^

I'll post a review tomorrow (hopefully) because I am so tired/hungry that I accidentally wrote tortilla instead of totally and my dog is growling at me to turn off the lights.
Ceilidh
Sep 22, 2011 Ceilidh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much more chatty account than Persepolis but one full of warmth, humour and a group of fascinating women sharing their wisdom. Through the eyes of a 21st century British feminist, the women's ideas of empowerment and control in relationships are a little tough to swallow, but there's something undeniably powerful in the way these stories are told to us: no mincing of words, just the truth, with all the sadness and humour contained within.
an
Jul 18, 2010 an rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya
awal na bingung dengan judul na. bordir. kirain diskusi selama kisah ini berlangsung ketika acara membordir bersama, atau mungkin kegiatan membordir (yang notabene kebanyakan dikerjakan oleh perempuan) membuat para perempuan ini saling bercerita, ngobrol dengan peserta lain. ternyata... jauh banget hubungan na.

kegiatan ini dilakukan bukan saat membaut bordir tapi saat minum teh. dan bordir di sini menggunakan media yang berbeda. tidak hanya sekedar obrolan, tapi kalau dicermati lebih lagi...

Seth T.
Aug 05, 2011 Seth T. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The embroideries of the book’s title refer to the surgical restoration of one’s vagina to a state similar to that of a virgin. Whether this includes hymen reconstruction or merely the tightening of an age-and-use-worn genitalia, Satrapi’s book never makes clear. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, probably. What is equally unclear is the reason for naming her extended anecdote in this way. Really, I just don’t know.

Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi

Embroideries covers the ground of a single afternoon’s conversation between ten
Manny
Feb 04, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hair-raising Iranian gossip. You keep wanting to join in. "Oh wow! What a great story! Now let me tell you about something that happened to a friend of mine..."
Tukang Kueh Keren
Oct 13, 2009 Tukang Kueh Keren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Embroideries adalah buku karya Marjane Satrapi kedua yang saya baca. Sebelumnya saya beruntung memperoleh buku Revolusi Iran, Dongeng seorang anak ditumpukan buku bekas di Pasar Buku Palasari.

Jika dalam Dongeng seorang anak, cerita-cerita yang disajikan cukup "kelam", bagaimana Marji kecil menghadapi revolusi Iran, dalam Embroideries (diterjemahkan menjadi Bordir) dibahas kisah lucu sekaligus getir yang terjadi di antara para wanita Iran tersebut.

Dibuka dengan makan siang bersama di rumah keluar
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Dove ero io quando dovevo conoscere la Satrapi?

Io la amo già, sto aspettando trepidante che "Persepolis" arrivi a casa!

Una trama che può sembrare a prima vista banale e 'già vista', ma che permette al lettore occidentale di conoscere la situazione delle donne in Iran: il matrimonio, il sesso e cosa voglia dire nascere donna in questo paese..
Divertente, toccante e illuminante!

Marjane sei la mia nuova eroina!!

"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul."
Aya Hesham
تعرض الكاتبة الفرنسية، ذات الأصول الإيرانية، "ساترابي" مشاهد روتينية من حياتها كفتاة تعيش في المجتمع الإيراني، لتعكس طبيعة الحياة الإجتماعية في إيران خاصة و المجتمع الشرقي عامة.

تبدأ الرواية بساترابي جالسة مع عائلتها على طاولة الغذاء وعند إنتهاء الجميع من الأكل ، يبدأ الرجال بالإنسحاب المفاجئ من غرفة الطعام والذهاب للنوم وتبدأ الفتيات بتنظيف المكان.
نفس المشهد نراه بشكل يومي في مجتمعنا، فبعد تناول الطعام يتجه الرجال ناحية التلفاز لتبادل الأحاديث عن الرياضة والسياسة والصراخ "الشاااااااي" ... أما ا
Raina
For anyone who's ever wondered what dating, marriage, and sex is like from the perspective of Iranian women. Satrapi uses her considerable skill to record the experiences of her inner circle.
The illustrations are less panel-based than I remember in Persepolis. As I look at the cover and remember the contents, the keyword that comes to mind is "coy."

Read with If You Could Be Mine and Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins.
Ferdy
Spoilers

-Sometimes funny, and sometimes quite horrifying but all rather eye-opening. I was really impressed by how much Iranian culture, history, and humour could be infused into what amounted to be a simple, every-day gathering of Iranian woman having tea and a "gap-shap" (gossip)… The women talk about first loves, sex, arranged marriages, forced marriages and husbands in general.

-I was quite surprised by how modern and forward thinking some of the women were — having plastic surgery, taking l
Ma
Le ton est léger, avec une bonne dose d'humour, malgré un sujet plutôt grave, ce qui nous fait un mélange intéressant. Chaque histoire représente un aspect de l'intimité des femmes iraniennes, et laisse apercevoir à la fois les mailles d'une société et ses traditions, ainsi que les changements qui la traverse aujourd'hui.
Au final, rien de particulièrement transcendant, mais c'est drôle et intéressant et ça mérite bien une petite lecture.
FeReSHte

ساتراپی میگه همه ما داستان خودمون رو داریم اما این که چه طور روایتشون کنیم مهمه

داستان انتخابی ساتراپی تو این اثر هم به اندازه روایت مجموعه پرسپولیس برای
ما اشناست هرچند از لحاظ اهمیت موضوعی می تونه تو سطح پایین تری قرار بگیره

بعد از یک مهمونی ناهار، زنان خانواده تو اتاقی جدا دور از مردانشون دور هم
جمع میشن به صرف چای و البته غیبت
!!!

هر کدوم از زنان این جمع با سن و سلیقه های متفاوت به عنوان نماینده یک سبک فکری و لایف استایل از نظراتشون راجع به عشق ، سکس ، ازدواج ، پیش داوری ها و تعصبات بیجا ، راز
Philippa
Apr 19, 2016 Philippa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was beautifully illustrated, funny, heart warming and eye-opening. I felt like I had my own cup of tea and was sitting in the circle gossiping and giving advice with the women portrayed in this graphic novel.
Eleni (OverThePlace)
Review στο: https://overtheplace.wordpress.com/20...

Τη Marjane Satrapi γνώρισα από το graphic novel Persepolis, μία αυτοβιογραφική ιστορία ενηλικίωσης μιας κοπέλας που γεννήθηκε και μεγάλωσε στο Ιράν. Οι γονείς της ήταν Μαρξιστές σε μία χώρα εξτρεμιστικής θρησκείας και πολιτεύματος. Επέλεξαν λοιπόν να στείλουν τη κόρη τους να σπουδάσει στη Βιέννη και τώρα πλέον ζει μόνιμα στο Παρίσι. Το Persepolis ήταν τολμηρό, ειλικρινές και απίστευτα αστείο. Δεν περίμενα λοιπόν τίποτα λιγότερο από το Embroider
Margie
Dec 22, 2014 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Hmm...which shelf to file this on? Between this and The Proof of the Honey, I need only one more book before I add a "Middle Eastern-not-quite-erotica" shelf.

This isn't erotica, of course. There's nothing even remotely erotic about older Iranian women sitting around laughing about being married off as teenagers to old men, or about how funny-looking penises are. I could almost add this to my "humor" shelf instead. Reading it was like joining a bunch of women friends or sisters and chatting about
Suketus
Dec 30, 2015 Suketus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-east
Miten saada aivan himpun päässä oleva Goodreads-lukutavoite täyteen loppuvuoden rutistuksella? Luetaan sarjakuvia! Marjane Satrapin Pistoja on mainio sarjis Iranin naisista ja näiden juorukerhosta. Kuvat simppeleitä ja ilmeikkäitä, teksti pisteliästä ja hauskaa. Hieno stoori!
Tuhina Porel
Jun 29, 2016 Tuhina Porel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me as gift by my friends Shreya and Sonia. Having read The Complete Persepolis before this, somehow my expectations from the book was increased by tenth-fold. I finished the book within 35-40 min. It was a very short read but a good read. The book was mostly inconsequential rantings about sex. I love the title though, the analogy with the vaginal reconstruction is hilarious. Marjane Satrapi never fails to be funny. This time she presents a small window to the world of Tehr ...more
Ksenia (vaenn)
Може, щасливі люди й справді п'ють каву, а не дуже щасливі іранські жінки п'ють чай. Багато-багато-багато чаю, яким заливають втому, смуток, жарти, життєві негаразди та тонни баєчок про чоловіків. Про чоловіків в цьому графічному романі говорять стільки, що аж нудотно стає. До того моменту, як розумієш: ну а про що ще розмовляти жінкам, чий життєвий успіх примусово втрамбовувався в прокрустове ложе "шлюбної" релевантності. От і доводиться молоти кістки, ділитися лайфхаками і сподіватися, що хоча ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Brief, gossipy exploration of the sexual morality of young and old women living in Iran. Pithy banter and sharp wit about marriage, love, and sex is not quite enough to push this into the three star category. But almost.
Paul Eckert
Aug 02, 2012 Paul Eckert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever wanted to listen to a bunch of Iranian women riff on their love lives? Wait no more.

That's a simplistic overview of this book, but the book doesn't really set out to be overtly profound, either.

Satrapi uses her engaging black-and-white drawings to illustrate a conversation of her women relatives discussing their first loves, losing their virginity, their marriages to horrible men, and sexual misadventures. The stories are told by various women of varying age with different attitudes towar
Poonam
Mar 28, 2011 Poonam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of the book 'Embroideries' is an euphemism for the virginity-restoration surgery which women in Middle-east undertake since men insist of marrying virgins.

Marjane Satrapi's 'Embroideries' is conversation of women over tea about sex and secrets. Marjane, who responsible for samovar, is privy to this conversation between her grandmother and her friends. She also adds to their conversation by narrating incidents about her young friends. Book is an interesting mix of memoir and fiction.

Pequete
Mar 19, 2016 Pequete rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I was expecting a lot more from this book. It was an interesting read about the conversations of a series of Iranian women of different ages covering topics like arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. But it all sounded too superficial, in a "women against men" way. I missed a few stories where dissimulation and cheating were not the norm, as I am sure there must be at least some. As it is, the book just turned out a caricature, funny at times, but mostly bitter and sa ...more
Feather Mista
Feb 03, 2012 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del género y de la autora
Recommended to Feather by: Que estaba a mano
Linda obra, aunque quizás no la pude disfrutar del todo por dos razones: Me gustó mucho más Persépolis, así que aunque la haya pasado bien leyéndola pensaba "pero Persépolis está mejor". Y porque soy hombre. Sé que las señoras que se la pasan hablando mal de mi género durante todo el libro tienen muy buenas razones para hacerlo, pero eso no quita que sea un libro pensado por y para mujeres. Las historias sentimento-sexuales de estas mujeres son divertidas, emotivas, interesantes y están muy bien ...more
Tanvi
MUST READ
This Is the first Graphic Novel I have ever read and I absolutely adore it.
Firstly, I love that it's based in Iran, where I wouldn't expect women sitting and talking so freely about sex, marriage, losing virginities and divorces. I know I sound like I have stereotypes about women living in Iran, but to be frank, most of us do until we meet people from a particular place or visit it. And i don't know if I would ever be that lucky but the novel provides some realistic and hilarious ins
Aurora  Fitzrovia
Ich bin etwas hin und hergerissen. Einerseits war es durchaus unterhaltsam, aber andererseits hätten die Geschichten ruhig etwas länger sein können...
  • Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • A Life Force
  • La Perdida
  • The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For
  • In the Shadow of No Towers
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a
More about Marjane Satrapi...

“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.” 296 likes
“To be the mistress of a married man is to have the better role. Do you realize? His dirty shirt, his disgusting underwear, his daily ironing, his bad breath, his hemorrhoid attacks, his fuss, not to mention his bad moods, and his tantrums. Well all that is for his wife.
When a married man comes to his mistress... he's always bleached and ironed, his teeth sparkle, his breath is like perfume, he's in a good mood, he's full of conversation, he is there to have a good time with you.”
9 likes