Broderies

Broderies

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  9,254 ratings  ·  887 reviews
From the best–selling author of Persepolis comes this gloriously entertaining and enlightening look into the sex lives of Iranian women. Embroideries gathers together Marjane’s tough–talking grandmother, stoic mother, glamorous and eccentric aunt and their friends and neighbors for an afternoon of tea drinking and talking. Naturally, the subject turns to love, sex and the...more
136 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Broderies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broderies

Idle Hippo
Story about various Iranian women. They're sit back and relax in the afternoon while sipping a hot cup of tea. But not just that, they all have a tale to tell.
And the story begin...

"To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart."
Huwahahaha...

Pertama-tama ketika nge-mark as to read gw pernah komen "Mari ngebordir" , yang dikasi komen sama Lita di message #1 dan saya ngasi komen "wah, rok mini mah cepet keknya ngebordirnya, siap lah" di message #2. Nah, setelah beres membaca buk...more
Valerie
Reading this graphic novel was like being invited to tea with a group of Iranian women, except that the talk turned (interestingly enough) to arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. The images strengthened the words in such a way that when I was done reading it I actually felt like I knew and had spent a little time with these women.

It's interesting, because their conversation makes it seem like they have some power (while living under harsh social restrictions) but as...more
Hilda
Mar 23, 2008 Hilda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Satrapi fans
I was disappointed by Marjane Satrapi's follow up to the fantastic two volume "Persepolis".

In "Embroideries", the setting is an after-dinner tea party between several women of different ages telling their stories abut love and sex. The potential is fantastic to really delve into the beliefs and traditions surrounding these topics. But rather than tell the complete stories with depth, she merely flits over them, so that you get a taste but little substance. She tells the stories of about 7 women...more
an
awal na bingung dengan judul na. bordir. kirain diskusi selama kisah ini berlangsung ketika acara membordir bersama, atau mungkin kegiatan membordir (yang notabene kebanyakan dikerjakan oleh perempuan) membuat para perempuan ini saling bercerita, ngobrol dengan peserta lain. ternyata... jauh banget hubungan na.

kegiatan ini dilakukan bukan saat membaut bordir tapi saat minum teh. dan bordir di sini menggunakan media yang berbeda. tidak hanya sekedar obrolan, tapi kalau dicermati lebih lagi...

1....more
Ceilidh
A much more chatty account than Persepolis but one full of warmth, humour and a group of fascinating women sharing their wisdom. Through the eyes of a 21st century British feminist, the women's ideas of empowerment and control in relationships are a little tough to swallow, but there's something undeniably powerful in the way these stories are told to us: no mincing of words, just the truth, with all the sadness and humour contained within.
Tukang Kueh Keren
Embroideries adalah buku karya Marjane Satrapi kedua yang saya baca. Sebelumnya saya beruntung memperoleh buku Revolusi Iran, Dongeng seorang anak ditumpukan buku bekas di Pasar Buku Palasari.

Jika dalam Dongeng seorang anak, cerita-cerita yang disajikan cukup "kelam", bagaimana Marji kecil menghadapi revolusi Iran, dalam Embroideries (diterjemahkan menjadi Bordir) dibahas kisah lucu sekaligus getir yang terjadi di antara para wanita Iran tersebut.

Dibuka dengan makan siang bersama di rumah keluar...more
Seth Hahne
The embroideries of the book’s title refer to the surgical restoration of one’s vagina to a state similar to that of a virgin. Whether this includes hymen reconstruction or merely the tightening of an age-and-use-worn genitalia, Satrapi’s book never makes clear. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, probably. What is equally unclear is the reason for naming her extended anecdote in this way. Really, I just don’t know.

Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi

Embroideries covers the ground of a single afternoon’s conversation between ten...more
Ferdy
Spoilers

-Sometimes funny, and sometimes quite horrifying but all rather eye-opening. I was really impressed by how much Iranian culture, history, and humour could be infused into what amounted to be a simple, every-day gathering of Iranian woman having tea and a "gap-shap" (gossip)… The women talk about first loves, sex, arranged marriages, forced marriages and husbands in general.

-I was quite surprised by how modern and forward thinking some of the women were — having plastic surgery, taking l...more
Elizabeth
Brief, gossipy exploration of the sexual morality of young and old women living in Iran. Pithy banter and sharp wit about marriage, love, and sex is not quite enough to push this into the three star category. But almost.
Kareena
“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.”
Paul Eckert
Ever wanted to listen to a bunch of Iranian women riff on their love lives? Wait no more.

That's a simplistic overview of this book, but the book doesn't really set out to be overtly profound, either.

Satrapi uses her engaging black-and-white drawings to illustrate a conversation of her women relatives discussing their first loves, losing their virginity, their marriages to horrible men, and sexual misadventures. The stories are told by various women of varying age with different attitudes towar...more
Margie
Jun 07, 2012 Margie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Hmm...which shelf to file this on? Between this and The Proof of the Honey, I need only one more book before I add a "Arab-not-quite-erotica" shelf.

This isn't erotica, of course. There's nothing even remotely erotic about older Iranian women sitting around laughing about being married off as teenagers to old men, or about how funny-looking penises are. I could almost add this to my "humor" shelf instead. Reading it was like joining a bunch of women friends or sisters and chatting about virginity...more
Veeral
A funny little romp through the sex lives of Iranian women by the author of a more serious work, Persepolis. Embroideries is a very quick and light read which could be read in about 30 minutes. So, if you happen to be in a bookstore next time, you can read through it without even paying for it!

But make sure you buy and treasure Persepolis if you haven't already read Marjane Satrapi's more serious works.
Federiken Masters
Feb 03, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del género y de la autora
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Linda obra, aunque quizás no la pude disfrutar del todo por dos razones: Me gustó mucho más Persépolis, así que aunque la haya pasado bien leyéndola pensaba "pero Persépolis está mejor". Y porque soy hombre. Sé que las señoras que se la pasan hablando mal de mi género durante todo el libro tienen muy buenas razones para hacerlo, pero eso no quita que sea un libro pensado por y para mujeres. Las historias sentimento-sexuales de estas mujeres son divertidas, emotivas, interesantes y están muy bien...more
My first graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi.
I was over the moon when I finally found her books.
so I decided to start with this one because the cover is so lovely.

I enjoyed the stories in this, and the drawings added up a great deal to that.
It is short. so it can be read in one hour if you want to. but I decided to take my time since I'm in a place where English/Arabic books can't be found.

My favorite story was the white magic one, it was so hilarious.
There was also the story about faking virg...more
Maria
Sep 18, 2012 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Cynthia
Took it last night to "read up a little bit before sleeping"... I ended up sleeping a little bit after reading.
Amélie
Feuilleter les pages de cette bédé, c’est être convié à une séance de thé à Téhéran, avec toute une trâlée de femmes iraniennes qui font honneur à la maxime qui ouvre le livre : « parler derrière le dos des autres est le ventilateur du cœur… »

Dans le confort du salon de la grand-mère de Satrapi, les anecdotes se succèdent, chacune des femmes prenant la parole pour raconter une histoire, la leur ou celle d’une autre. Les thèmes abordés sont ceux auxquels on pourrait s’attendre : le mariage, les h...more
Endah
Sebelum aku menulis tentang buku ini, aku ingin berterima kasih kepada Susi alias Ibutio alias Tukang Kue, yang telah membarterkan buku ini. Kalau tidak terjadi pertukaran tersebut, mungkin saja aku tidak pernah mengenal Marjane Satrapi, penulis cewek asal Teheran yang juga menulis komik Persepolis itu. Aku sih belum baca komik tersebut, tetapi gara-gara Embroideries ini, aku akan membacanya (dan juga Chicken with Plums).

Baiklah, kini aku akan ngoceh sedikit ihwal Bordir.

Di Iran, seperti terdapa...more
Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)
If you have not read Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis 1 and Persepolis 2, you need to run (not walk) and grab those books to read. You are missing out on a great treat. I read them more than a year ago, and never knew she had written more memoirs. I was introduced to Embroideries when I joined the Women Unbound Challenge. I picked the book to read yesterday, and finished it in a half hour. I couldn't put it down, it was hilarious, and moving!

Embroideries captures the discussions between 9 women one...more
Tatiana
Marjane Satrapi is the author of widely known graphic memoir "Persepolis" (which I am yet to read). Looking through my library catalog, another title of hers caught my eye - "Embroideries." Naturally, I was captivated by the synopsis - "gloriously entertaining and enlightening look into the sex lives of Iranian women" - and had to check it out.

Well, the book didn't quite live up to this synopsis. You will not find any explosive or controversial details of Iranian women's sex lives. Rather, it wa...more
Nadia Fadhillah
Separuh buku ini bikin ketawa kepingkal-pingkal, karena bener banget dan lucu juga. Setengah lagi gak gitu ngerti karena masih di bawah umur, hahaha.

---

Aku tadinya tidak terlalu memperhatikan perkembangan dunia graphic-novel. Aku sekedar punya, baca, dan suka. Namun lama kelamaan koleksi graphic-novelku bertambah banyak. Buku Marji, panggilan akrab Marjane Satrapi ini, membuatku sadar, aku ternyata menyukai genre graphic-novel.

Embroideries sangat sederhana. Marji menceritakan dan menggambar tent...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
In this very slender graphic novel, Marjane Satrapi gives us a peek into the lives of Iranian women. Well, the romantic and sexual aspects of their lives anyway.

I felt like I was sitting in this roomful of multi-generational women as they gossiped about themselves, each other, and friends they knew. I think all women have sat in a group like this, when there aren't any men around, and said just exactly what we really think. It's not all ladylike and demure. This is the chance to be as ribald as...more
Sam
very honest,
sejak pertama kali baca g penasaran apa mksd judulnya itu... tnyata 'bordir' tuh itu yee :p

ternyata gosipan minum teh wanita Iran dashyat ya,
semua diceritakan... dari mulai menikah terlalu dini, dijodohkan, cinta-yg-katanya-sejati ternyata pun ga berakhir bahagia, sampai kisah si Bibi yg belum pernah merasakan kebahagiaan ato mereka yg ditipu mentah-mentah, hingga menjadikan anak sendiri boneka kebahagiaan..

kisah yg digambarkan Satrapi sungguh hidup,
kendati bagi sebagian org mungkin...more
Poonam
The title of the book 'Embroideries' is an euphemism for the virginity-restoration surgery which women in Middle-east undertake since men insist of marrying virgins.

Marjane Satrapi's 'Embroideries' is conversation of women over tea about sex and secrets. Marjane, who responsible for samovar, is privy to this conversation between her grandmother and her friends. She also adds to their conversation by narrating incidents about her young friends. Book is an interesting mix of memoir and fiction.

No...more
Sumit Singla
Considering how great Persepolis was, I thought Embroideries would be a great read too. However, it was rather disappointing. It reads like a quick chronicle of the sexual misadventures of a bunch of Iranian women of diverse ages.

I couldn't really figure out what Ms. Satrapi was trying to achieve. Is she saying that even in a fairly conservative society such as Iran, women talk about sex? Is she trying to highlight how the world is full of predatory men who use women and then disappear?

A couple...more
Thomas Andrikus
'...why is it the women who have to be virgins?...Why don't we behave as Westerners do!? For them, since the problem of sex is resolved, they can move on to other things! This is the reason they progress!!!'

The quote above, taken from one of the gossiping women in the book, suffices to say it all. Embroideries is a graphic novel that tells a story about the plight of being a woman in an ultraconservative Islamic society like Iran. The nice thing about this work of Satrapi is that the narrative i...more
Talia
In Marjane Satrapi's latest book, Embroideries, she takes on the sex lives of Iranian women. Like in her past books the author brings to life colorful, lively women who discuss their most inner secrets about men, love, and "getting your virginity back," as where the title of the book comes from. The stories range from a woman getting plastic surgery to keep her man interested in her to another woman who finds out her husband is gay only after her arranged marriage to him. The stories are funny,...more
Mery
Nov 30, 2009 Mery rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ayu yang pengen banget baca juga ;D
Shelves: pinjam
pinjeman dari Mas Tomo..
jiahahaha seneng banget bisa baca. bukan apa-apa soalnya kemaren2 pas mau minjem...
para Senior2 ku tercinta bilang aku dilarang baca ini. kayak film 2012 aja, semakin dibilang dilarang tayang semakin orang penasaran ;D ;D

akhirnya Mas Tomo yang baik hati meminjamkan buku ini padaku kemaren pas ketemu di Aksara... [hmpfh:] untung Mbak Indri gak liat, hihihi

Pas baca....
Gubrak, Tuing tuing, yaelah, aduh, hahahaha
pantes aku gak boleh baca...

memang g ada yang aneh2 sih. tapi ka...more
Neha
Embroideries – 4.5 Stars

What happens when 10 women get together in a room – Embroideries.

Whoever has grown up in joint family amongst grandmothers, sisters, mothers, cousins and aunts – will know how it is when all of them get together under one roof. The conversations and gossips, the experiences and tips, the bitching and men bashing, mother in laws and weddings, bedroom secrets and child births... the list is long but whole lots of fun. There is not much difference between Persian and Indian...more
Heather Colacurcio
Gather a group of Iranian women of all ages together for a few cups of tea and you get "Embroideries". Marjane Satrapi, back in the graphic novel format she mastered in "Persepolis", paints a humorous portrait of the intimate lives of Iranian women. Some of these women are paranoid about tradition (maintaining ones virginity in order to be "pure" before marriage, agreeing to an arranged marriage), while others defy it (losing their virginity before marriage and seeking "embroidery" surgery to re...more
  • Aya (Aya #1)
  • Nylon Road: A Graphic Memoir of Coming of Age in Iran
  • Kiki de Montparnasse
  • Lucky
  • My New York Diary
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Farsi, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She att...more
More about Marjane Satrapi...
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1-2) The Complete Persepolis (Persepolis, #1-4) Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return (Persepolis, #3-4) Persepolis, Volume 1 (Persepolis, #1) Chicken with Plums

“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.” 276 likes